Top 10 Things to Do Why You Wait for QFG2VGA

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#26 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:39 pm

1. Inject yourself with a comma inducing serum and have doctors wake you up when QfG2VGA is released.
Sounds like an ideal prescription for people who keep demanding a release date.  :lol   But what if the doctors are also waiting for QFG2VGA to be released and they take the serum too? Who's gonna wake them up?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#27 Post by Gronagor » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:19 am

Wow! Sounds like an AGDI plot to take over the world!!  :lol

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#28 Post by Brainiac » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:06 am

TravisOwens wrote:1. Inject yourself with a comma inducing serum and have doctors wake you up when QfG2VGA is released.
So THAT'S what the giant margarita you're drinking in your avatar is for! :lol

Alara Moonrunner
Peasant Status

#29 Post by Alara Moonrunner » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:26 pm

10. Check email/LJ/various other sites
9. Play WoW
8. Listen to music while playing WoW
7. Play poker twice a week
6. Go to the horse track once or twice a week
5. Participate in a bowling league on monday mornings
4. Work (sometimes)
3. Play in a pyramids league on yahoo whenever i'm not doing the other things on this list.
2. Chat up BF

and the #1 thing I do while waiting for QFG2VGA:

Check the site every few months.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#30 Post by Gronagor » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:43 am

Alara Moonrunner wrote: and the #1 thing I do while waiting for QFG2VGA:

Check the site every few months.
Nope. Check the site every few moments.  :lol

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#31 Post by Paladinlover » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:03 pm

I have a question for the AGDs. Do you folks get irritated when people come and ask you for a release date (or at least, an estimation)?

Till next time stay cool  :smokin

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#32 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:10 pm

Well, on the one hand, I can appreciate the reason for people asking for a release date: they're simply excited to play a remake of QFG2VGA, and 5-6 years IS a long time to maintain anticipation for something which was supposed to be out years ago.  It is equally as frustrating to me that the game is not done yet, especially considering that KQ1VGA took only 9 months to finish and KQ2VGA took only a year.  However, I think the lengthy development process of QFG2VGA is a testament to how much more work has gone into it than the KQ remakes, and how much more polished the game is as a result.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't find constant requests for release dates and updates somewhat annoying -- simply because there's nothing more to report and that energy is best conserved to work on finishing the game. It takes an incredible amount of persistence to finish something for which the workload was underestimated. And even more so when it requires large sacrifices to be made for the sole purpose of releasing a free game for others to enjoy. Working on something for several extra years than originally expected (for free) really throws things off balance.  

Many visitors are happy to read a few new lines added to the news page in order to reassure themselves that the project is still in development, but to me this feels like simply paying lip service to appease people, making updates without any substance. And then regular updates become expected. Fact is that there's really nothing interesting to report in these final stages of development. Does anybody really want to hear about the walkbehind area which is 2 pixels astray in the katta's Tail Inn leftmost table? Because there are hundreds of these trivial issues which are currently being worked through and mentioning them is neither practical or informative to anyone. The truth is that people don't really want updates -- they simply want assurance that game development is still going ahead. Their biggest fear is that QFG2VGA has been cancelled or will fade into oblivion. And an update to the site confirms that things are still running smoothly. Take my word for it - the game will be finished regardless of whether the site gets updated or not. The period leading up to alpha/beta testing is always mundane and monotonous. Obviously, this phase will be prolonged when the game is larger than the previous ones. This is why the wait wasn't as long for the KQ remakes in the lead-up to alpha testing them.

In light of all that, mentioning a release date would be a silly thing to do. Simply because we do not know when the game will be ready. It's not possible to determine that information yet, so any "release date" just gives people false hope which they'll hold against us.  Then we get fools who sign entries in the guest book like "hurry the f*ck up motherf*ckers!" and assume that that's gonna make the game get completed faster.  :\

In the end, we can only keep reiterating what's already been said: it'll be done when it's done. The things that visitors say, either good or bad, will not make the dev process faster or slower. It's on a steady course to completion, but new bugs are constantly being found and added to the list which prolongs the process. All known bugs need to be eliminated before we start beta testing the game.  

We're mindful of people's eagerness to play QFG2VGA. So just try not to die for the rest of the year and at some point, you'll likely get to play it!

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#33 Post by Paladinlover » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:03 pm

I'd be lying if I said I didn't find constant requests for release dates and updates somewhat annoying -- simply because there's nothing more to report and that energy is best conserved to work on finishing the game. It takes an incredible amount of persistence to finish something for which the workload was underestimated. And even more so when it requires large sacrifices to be made for the sole purpose of releasing a free game for others to enjoy. Working on something for several extra years than originally expected (for free) really throws things off balance.  
I can understand your feelings in this regard. Most people ask constantly because they're so excited. Even I sometimes ask for updates because I simply want to be kept assured that work is going on. No need to stress yourselves out, it's all in good humor and intentions. Also I know how you feel when you realize that there is so much more that needs to be done. I've tried balancing a lot of stuff before and it was all extremely hectic. Of course, unlike you, I could have canceled a lot of those without disappointing anyone, but announcing yourselves making a game that everyone's been wanting for many years (I remember once wishing for a VGA remake of QFG 2 way, way back in 1993!) and then canceling it after all that effort would be a major disappointement to many people.

So all I can say is, I commend you all greatly on the work that you folks did on KQ1 and KQ2 and the termendous effort that you are putting into QFG2VGA. I hope to repay you all someday in full, but until I can find something suitable, all I can really do is be a cheerleader and buy every single commerical game that you produce (and any accessories to boot) just to show how grateful I am.

BTW, I do have another question: Remember a long time ago I sent you folks a Beta version of Brian's SCI studio? One that enabled you to open QFG 2 and look at all the texts and whatnot? How useful did you guys find it?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#34 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:54 am

Hey.  I like hearing about the table that's two pixels off.  I know that stuff all too well!

Bt

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#35 Post by Erpy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:45 am

BTW, I do have another question: Remember a long time ago I sent you folks a Beta version of Brian's SCI studio? One that enabled you to open QFG 2 and look at all the texts and whatnot? How useful did you guys find it?
Very. I think the ability to look up text and sprites in the actual game (as opposed to having to look everything up manually) shaved at least a year off the development process.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#36 Post by Paladinlover » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:54 pm

I'm glad it helped. :)

And I got some good news! Brian finally got around to making some progress on his SCI studio... three YEARS after he made the last release!

Patience is hard, but when you're patient for the right stuff, it pays off SWEET!!! :D :D :D