Surprise for KQ's lovers

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

theMaxxx
Peasant Status

Surprise for KQ's lovers

#1 Post by theMaxxx » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:23 am

In the last designer journal entry, it is written:
"We're also in the process of preparing somewhat of a surprise for the future (two of them, actually) which fans of the first two King's Quest remakes should enjoy, but to say any more at this point would be telling."

And thus, our curiosity is raised.

What are those surprises?

These are the possible theories.
1-KQ3 remake and KQ9? I dont think I need to elaborate on that...

2-KQ4 remake? Possible but rather unlikely from what has been told in numerous forums.

3-Maybe remakes of other classic games in the style of KQ... Camelot,  perhaps?

Since they say there's gonna be 2 surprises, is it too hard to imagine for enhanced versions on KQ5 and KQ6? new digital music, text and speech at the same time and what else...

But this point has already been discussed before... Ripping out the data files from the original games then, creating new game version is still a lot of work...

So, the question remains... What will be these 2 surprises for fans of the KQ serie?

Maxxx

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#2 Post by gargin » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:17 am

Well I don't feel we have enough information to really speculate what is going to be the surprise although I think its safe to assume its unlikely to be a KQ3 remake. Since Infamous Adventures is actively working on that project (not to mention almost done) it would be a waste of time and their talents to remake the game. Kings Quest 4 has also been picked up by a group but I don't believe they have made much progress so that ones probably a possibility. Seeing as how KQ5+ are already fine graphically I doubt those are likely either. All I could imagine would be either a spoof or possibly just some kind of addons to improve the original remakes of KQ1+2. IE like they released the speech and music pack possibly they came up with something else to add.
Oh well, just my opinion and some speculation.

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#3 Post by Senor Matt » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:39 am

I think I would have to agree more with gargins expectations too Maxx.  I think it's a bit fantastic to think that the AGD's would actually be working on yet another game, much less two, when they already have their hands full with with the two they've got already.  And it seem to me that those on these forums who are speculating that they're making two additional games have no idea how much time and effort is required to make a whole new game, even if it is a 1 to 1 remake.

theMaxxx
Peasant Status

KQ surprises

#4 Post by theMaxxx » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:01 am

Don't worry. I totally agree with you that 2 additional games is too big...
Maybe orchestra music pack?
What else could be added to KQ1 and KQ2 to make them better?

Maxxx

Gumba Masta
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Gumba Masta » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:33 am

Maybe a KQ theme set for windows, with wallpapers, soundfiles, icons and mouse pointers.

theMaxxx
Peasant Status

KQ FPS

#6 Post by theMaxxx » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:11 am

Better yet...
A mod for Unreal Tournament, Half-Life, Quake or other FPS that would allow you to play an inhabitant from Daventry, unrelated to the royal family, that would travel through unrelated realms and meet unrelated characters and kill monsters?

Nah.... what a dumb idea that would be...

Maxxx

P.S. Or in a custom made 3d engine whose quality would turn out to be inferior to the previously stated games...

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:05 am

I think it's a bit fantastic to think that the AGD's would actually be working on yet another game, much less two, when they already have their hands full with with the two they've got already.  And it seem to me that those on these forums who are speculating that they're making two additional games have no idea how much time and effort is required to make a whole new game, even if it is a 1 to 1 remake.
There's nothing truer than that. And I'm sure Blackthorne and company can also attest to that statement. I can relate as I know that the game I'm writing the score for is quite an undertaking in itself. Making one game is hard enough. Making two is just applaudable. I salute AGDI/Himalaya for attempting it and succeeding! (I may be speaking prophetically, but I really believe that both games will be released, as I'm sure many more of you do) But there is no way that they could pull off creating 3 or 4 games at once and not burn out over it no matter how determined and talented you are.

Rass
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by Rass » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:55 am

right on musically inspired...

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#9 Post by Paladinlover » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:36 pm

I don't think that there's going to be another remake of a Sierra game. While it would be nice, making three remakes is a already quite a bit of work, and I think that it would be better for them if they got into more professional interests (like Al Emmo and other original games), they need to make a living, too, as you know. Maybe they make enough money, they might spare the resources for another game, but I really don't think that it's going to happen.

Of course, the correct individuals could tell me if I'm wrong on this issue. ;)

Till next time stay cool  :smokin

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#10 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:26 pm

You'd be surprised at what a group can do.

Bt

MusicallyInspired

#11 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:46 pm

A large enough group maybe, but not 3 or 4 people. IMO, anyway.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#12 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:00 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:A large enough group maybe, but not 3 or 4 people. IMO, anyway.
You'd be surprised at how large some groups actually are.

Bt

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#13 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:06 am

you know something.

POST NUMBER 1234!
Last edited by Quest For Glory Fan on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#14 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:22 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:you know something.
I know what my group is doing!

Bt

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#15 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:55 am

and that is or isn't related to AGDI?

MusicallyInspired

#16 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:16 am

You'd be surprised at how large some groups actually are.
I suppose you're right at that...

KernelPanic
Peasant Status

#17 Post by KernelPanic » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:39 pm

Maybe it's a voice pack?

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#18 Post by gargin » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:04 pm

I could be mistaken but I believe both Kings Quest games have downloadable speech and music packs already. Oh well, guess we will just have to wait and see ;)

KernelPanic
Peasant Status

#19 Post by KernelPanic » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:05 pm

Right they said they're preparing surprises that fans of KQ2 would enjoy.  That doesn't mean the surprise is KQ related, in fact, since both had voice packs, that could theoretically mean a voice pack for QG2.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#20 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:10 pm

KernelPanic wrote:Right they said they're preparing surprises that fans of KQ2 would enjoy.  That doesn't mean the surprise is KQ related, in fact, since both had voice packs, that could theoretically mean a voice pack for QG2.
With ALL that dialogue! I think AGDI would need a whole year just for voice recording and editing lol (Or would it???!!!)

dreammaster
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by dreammaster » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:23 pm

My personal gut feeling is that it's going to be something a bit simpler, such as an early release of a QFG2VGA manual before the actual game is released, letting us drool at all the included screenshots, and getting a feel for what the controls will be.

If you think about it, it's unlikely they'd have had time to make full extra other games, so something simpler like this is more likely to be the suprise.

MusicallyInspired

#22 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:58 pm

I guess we'll find out soon enough (or otherwise).

The Avatar
Knight Status

ooh ooh! let me jump on the speculation band wagon~

#23 Post by The Avatar » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:15 am

"We're also in the process of preparing somewhat of a surprise for the future (two of them, actually) which fans of the first two King's Quest remakes should enjoy, but to say any more at this point would be telling."

AGD2 says they're int he process of preparing two surprises 'for the future'... which means the surprise alone is still being prepared..

as to what the surprises are, our only hint is 'fans of the first two KQ remakes should enjoy them'..

I think it's a reasonable assumption to say these surprises must be KQ related.  being that it's something they can 'prepare' says that it's definitely something they are making in relation to KQ.  It doesn't have to be another game, but it could be an announcement as to what games they are working on next.. but like previous posters have said, AGDI seems like it is taking a break to focus on commercial games for the time being.. but i have no proof of this, so we can't rule this out.

Hmm.. maybe the announcement has to do with Vivendi's release of the quest series.. maybe they've agreed to use AGDI's versions of KQ1&2 with their collections?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#24 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:52 am

Hey, that would be cool, actually.  Think about it, an independently produced "fan" game being distributed with the originals.  Perhaps they would be cleaned up a bit too, for mass distribution.  

Who knows.  Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be pretty cool.

Bt

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#25 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:47 pm

considering a topic like this would be closed if there was a definite answer and the mods and stuff keep pushing us I'm geussing these surprises are related ot an occasion of April 1st. After all they have to top that big one last year.