adventure gaming 'honorable mention'

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

adventure gaming 'honorable mention'

#1 Post by johnb4467 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:52 pm

Well hey looky-looky...commercial game sites (gamespot in this case) are paying homage to our favorite genre. This was under "The Greatest Games of All-Time: King's Quest VI"...
"In the heyday of adventure gaming, when Sierra made most of the greats, it was King's Quest that paved the way for the Police Quests, Space Quests, <b>and the Quest for Glory games</b>."

They also go on to mention the genre in general in saying, "This clever, beautiful, and unique adventure game is truly one of the best games that the genre has ever had to offer, and reminds us sadly that adventure gaming may be dying rapidly, but it's never going to be forgotten."

...though I wouldn't quite agree with it dying...more as resurrecting!  :D

And finally, they gave a heads-up to the all of the Quest re-releases, which I thought was pretty nice to see. So while we aren't getting a Quest For Glory re-release (which I more than think should happen), I thought it pretty slick that it was mentioned in the article, especially with QG2VGA around the corner (though how far away the corner is remains to be seen!).  :p

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#2 Post by AGP » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:44 pm

I totally agree with you on the resurrecting part. I think there were darker times between '99 and 2002 or so, but that the genre is sort of coming back. More story in games, more strategy games, and lots of games they call "adventure" like the Lord of the Rings ones. Hopefully Sierra will catch on and maybe bring something back. :-)

On a side note, isn't it funny that of all the Quest games, Police Quest is the series that is still alive (I think the latest one is Swat 4 or so)?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#3 Post by Gronagor » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:19 pm

Most purists won't really see SWAT as a Police Quest. :) But we know what you mean.