Al Emmo, Himalaya Studios, & AGDI

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Psycho_Kenshin
Peasant Status

Al Emmo, Himalaya Studios, & AGDI

#1 Post by Psycho_Kenshin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:01 pm

Heya AGDI, I love your games. You all rock quite a bit, and QfG2vga has me mammothly excited. So, how come you guys are releasing Al Emmo under the Himalaya Studios brand? AGDI would look better on a box, because letters are cool.

Oh, and about Al Emmo. I notice most commercial adventure games these days go for relatively dull main characters. This Al Emmo guy looks less appealing than the guy from Runaway, and thats saying something.

Maybe you should replace him with a witty vampire from Portugal before you release the final game. Or at least make him an option.

By the way, I'll buy any game you guys make regardless. You guys are keeping adventure alive.  QfG2vga is going to rock I should add. :hat
Last edited by Psycho_Kenshin on Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Psycho_Kenshin
Peasant Status

#2 Post by Psycho_Kenshin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:26 pm

I just answered a few questions surfin' the web. But I am still wondering... how come you folks started using faux-anonymous names?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:51 pm

So, how come you guys are releasing Al Emmo under the Himalaya Studios brand? AGDI would look better on a box, because letters are cool.
Because AGDI and Himalaya are two different companies, who merely share the same senior staff. Also, we have permission to distribute our remake projects under the AGDI banner, but if we'd distribute original games under the same label, we'd be required to have those games approved first, which is more hassle than it's worth.
Oh, and about Al Emmo. I notice most commercial adventure games these days go for relatively dull main characters. This Al Emmo guy looks less appealing than the guy from Runaway, and thats saying something.

Maybe you should replace him with a witty vampire from Portugal before you release the final game. Or at least make him an option.
Sorry, we're too late in development to scrap the project and restart it from scratch. He's not supposed to look very appealing, btw. But that's a detail.
I just answered a few questions surfin' the web. But I am still wondering... how come you folks started using faux-anonymous names?
Faux anonymous names? I'm not sure what you mean.

Initially, both AGD1 and AGD2 were anonymous, but you can't start a commercial project without giving out your identity, contact info etc.

Psycho_Kenshin
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Psycho_Kenshin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:32 pm

Hmm, now a main character doesn't have to be appealing in a typical way, but some attachment is neccessary to step into their shoes. For a character who makes the short, pudgy, aging thing work... just look at Leisure Suit Larry. That guy was charisma city. This Al Ammo guy? Not very distinctive. Of course I'm not judging the character storywise, just the character design.

And hey, characters are often changed at the last minute. I'm sure this fellow could be recast as a Portuguese vampire with little delay. :p

Thanks for answering the technical questions by the way. The legal reasons make sense I suppose. Oh yeah, and by faux-anonymous I meant anonymous names for one team, while using real names for the other team.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:48 pm

Why do you want him to be a portuguese vampire?

I think most everyone says bad things at some point or another about an unreleased game, but when it comes out they're taken back. (this excludes Duke Nukem Forever, of course)

Broomie
The Enigma

#6 Post by Broomie » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:23 pm

You've just seen pictures, you haven't actually seen Al Emmo in action, heard him talk or even gone into his life. So don't judge a book by it's cover and maybe when the game is released your opinion of him would be more justifiable.

Psycho_Kenshin
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Psycho_Kenshin » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:47 am

Ah but Jamie, I'm only judging the cover itself. The character design, as in, what a character looks like. Somebody puts a lot of thought and time into designing a character's look. I'm giving my critique on that.

Say the game gives him a great story, tight dialogue, and top notch voice acting... that would be great. However, his dull look, which is what I'm judging, would not change. ;)

Hehe, and I do think Duke Nukem Forever will be a great game. I mean, 9 years of development has to go somewhere. :p

Milan Easton
Ruler of the Castle

#8 Post by Milan Easton » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:51 pm

Imagine Woody Allen. His films would just not be the same without him--think of him being replaced with a tall, blonde, handsome and debonaire man.  The humor would not come across in the way it was originally intended!

"Al Emmo" includes equal amounts of wit and humor as a Woody Allen film.  The protagonist, Al, was specifically designed to accomplish our goal of creating a humorous, fun, and enjoyable experience for the player.  

You can see for yourself once the game is released. I don't think you'll be disappointed :D  And if you're still inkling to have control over some stud muffin, you can replay the King's Quest remakes...and at some point in the near future, download the QFG2 remake ;)

Anonymous Game Developer #1

JustLuke29
Peasant Status

#9 Post by JustLuke29 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:58 pm

it seems to me that it isn't the concept behind the character that is being criticised, but the execution. In other words, there is something unappealing (visually) about the main character and it's not because his appearance reflects his personality, rather, it's because he seems poorly designed. Of course, this is just my opinion, and an excellent script can compensate for this problem.

You guys certainly made some interesting choices for your first commercial project in terms of the visual design of your characters and the choice of setting.

Personally, I won't be buying "Al Emmo", because - although I'm particularly fond of Lucasarts/Sierra classic-style adventure games - the theme, characters and setting doesn't seem very appealing.  Also, and I hope you forgive me for saying this, but the game seems somewhat derivative. Perhaps I just have a particular distaste for western-themed adventure games because they have such a poor track record, who knows.

However, I wish you all luck and success with it, and I'll be interested to see what you come up with for your next game. :)

P.S. By the way, am I the only one who thinks that these 'mistakes' seem to be the norm rather than the exception with new adventure games? I think that the classic adventure games were successful and respected because they combined highly appealing characters with original settings and stories.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#10 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:28 pm

I fail to see how a character can be "poorly designed" when you're simply looking at an image of him from the game?  Characeristics encompass an entire personality, not just physical appearance. To say that a "character" is not interesting based on their visual appearance is like saying, "Cartman has no personality because he only consists of circles" or "Homer Simpson's biggest character flaw is that his skin is yellow." Quite a ludicrous conclusion to draw, I think.

Furthermore, first you say that the idea is derivative, but then on the other hand, you're insintuating that because Al Emmo's character doesn't have the same visual appeal as, say, Larry Laffer (wearing gold chains around his neck or something?) then he's not interesting enough to carry the game or the story along? I'm sorry, but how exactly can you make a character intriguing or appealing by basing him on the same appearance traits which made another character popular, while also doing something totally original at the same time?

The game may be derivative, or it may not be... that's beside the point. Nobody can speak with any authority on facts such as these unless they've played the game first!  Who cares if it's derivative anyway? You claimed to adore Sierra/Lucasarts games, but none of these games were particularly original in their concepts either. Every type of story has been done before in one way or another and the purpose of entertainment is just that... to entertain. When you start previewing a game based on nothing more than a character's appearance, you're already analyzing things way too much, and you probably won't enjoy it for that reason anyway.

Well, perhaps you'd like to show us all exactly how it's done by putting your words into actions? When you do, I'll even buy your game regardless of whether it's derivative and uninspiring or not. :D

JustLuke29
Peasant Status

#11 Post by JustLuke29 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:06 pm

Actually, I do know how difficult it is to develop a game - perhaps even more so than you. I worked for a very well known game developer for quite a few years in the past; so you've got a lot of stuff to buy! ;)

As I said (perhaps poorly), I think that the character is visually unappealing, not necessarily unappealingly in any other way. As I said, I've no idea what the script is like - Al might be a fantastic character for all I know, just not in terms of his visual design. Look, I don't mean to condemn your game. As you rightly said, I can't form an opinion on any aspect of the game that I haven't experienced. However, surely it's perfectly acceptable to give a critical opinion on known aspects of the game?

I know you've invested a heck of a lot of time and effort into creating “Al Emmo” , and I sincerely want the game (and, by extension, Himalaya Studios) to be very successful. You are a pretty talented bunch and I'm looking forward to seeing what your next commercial game will be.

By the way, and on a positive note, the backgrounds look great. :) I think that my views on western-themed games have been negatively influenced by the abominable Freddy Pharkas, 3 Skulls Of The Toltecs and it's equally shoddy sequel; I sure hope that you haven't based "Al Emmo" on any of those!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#12 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:57 pm

Well, Al Emmo was created without knowledge of Freddy Pharkas' existence, so I think it's safe to say it's not based on that...

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#13 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:10 pm

Actually, I do know how difficult it is to develop a game - perhaps even more so than you. I worked for a very well known game developer for quite a few years in the past; so you've got a lot of stuff to buy!  
Okay, so let's hear the names of all these titles you've developed which contain visually appealing characters and revolutionary new game concepts that are in no way derivative of any other game, in which you are personally responsible for the design and development of said characters (both their visual appearance and plotwise).
As I said (perhaps poorly), I think that the character is visually unappealing, not necessarily unappealingly in any other way. As I said, I've no idea what the script is like - Al might be a fantastic character for all I know, just not in terms of his visual design. Look, I don't mean to condemn your game. As you rightly said, I can't form an opinion on any aspect of the game that I haven't experienced.
I understand what it is that you're trying to say, but what you didn't explain is the key point of your argument: Why he's visually unappealing and why that means anything to the overall game at this point, when the public has very little else to go on?  In your previous post, it seemed like your reasoning was:  the main character is unappealing, therefore, this must reflect the game itself, which must also be unappealing and derivative. But now you seem to be saying the opposite. So are you admitting that you wouldn't give the game a chance based only on the way Al looks?  Because that's a very subjective (not to mention trivial) thing to get hung-up on, in scope of what the rest of the game has to offer.
However, surely it's perfectly acceptable to give a critical opinion on known aspects of the game?
Of course it is, but you should also back up those statements with some logicical arguments if you want developers to consider your advice. I didn't see anything that could be 'learnt from' in your previous post, I only saw a hastily-drawn conclusion without any valid points as to how a (subjectively) poorly designed character could reflect badly upon the gameplay. For example, what if someone else tells us that they love the main character design? Which person do we listen to? You or him? Or do we simply follow our own vision?

Tonnes of people will claim that such and such a game has no innovation and they will be willing to put their 2 cents in after the fact, but if they were faced with being in the exact same situation they'd probably find themself facing their own horde of critics, despite their best efforts to please themselves and others. Pleasing everyone is impossible... it just can't be done. And while opinions and suggestions are always welcome to help improve the games, there's still no way you can please everyone, including that guy who claims to be the authority, and that if you listen to him your game will be all the better for it. As you say, you're a game developer yourself, I'd imagine you would be very familiar with this situation. So how do you handle it? Do you aim to please everyone? Do you aim only please yourself? Or would you listen to the people who claim to know what's best for your product?

Really, I'm not so attached to the game that I cannot take constructive criticism (just ask the beta testers!) but there are reasonable criticisms and there are also ones that just don't compute.
By the way, and on a positive note, the backgrounds look great.  I think that my views on western-themed games have been negatively influenced by the abominable Freddy Pharkas, 3 Skulls Of The Toltecs and it's equally shoddy sequel; I sure hope that you haven't based "Al Emmo" on any of those!
Funnily enough, none of us had every played Freddy prior to making the game and some hadn't played any of the Larry games either!  This is why I was saying that the game may seem derivative, even though that's not the intention.  Also, while the game is a Western, it's not really your typical "cowboys and Indians" type western; it's more due the fact that it's set in an Arizona-like land with a lot of cacti.  But there are a lot of modern references and influences, plus many pop-culture references too. The narrative mthod is also kind of unique and I don't think anything similar has been really done like it before in an adventure game, so there's a good dose of original ideas in there to complement the tried and true stuff.  

There will be a demo for "Al Emmo" made available at some point in the future, so even if people aren't planning on buying the game, they can still play the demo and see the style we've been aiming for.

JustLuke29
Peasant Status

#14 Post by JustLuke29 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:36 pm

I didn't say that the games that I was involved with in the past were good, Some were fantastic and other plain awful. I left the game industry about four years ago after becoming pretty disillusioned.

Actually, I am saying that the way Al looks is one reason why I won't buy the game. My other reasons are that I really dislike games that take place in a western setting (as I've already mentioned), there appears to be pre-rendered cutscenes - which I personally loathe, I don't think that pre-rendered models blend well with traditionally drawn backgrounds (unless they are cel-shaded), and the resolution is too low. As subjective and trivial as my feelings are, they're still mine and subsequently influence what I spend my money on.

Now as far as the question of whom you should listen to is concerned, I'd say that you should listen to casual gamers rather than adventure game fans or AGDI/Himalaya Studios fanboys. However, you're not going to get an objective opinion from anyone who goes to the effort of giving you feedback, so you should hear as many diverse opinions as possible, disregard them, and make something you're proud of.

I think, for me, that the problem with "Al Emmo" is that is doesn't have a hook. There's nothing about it that makes me think "I've got to play that!" or even "I can't wait for the demo!" But this is just my gut instinct and I'm not sure that I can define what is missing any better than I already have. Perhaps it's a problem with the way you promote and advertise it.

I'll try the demo when it's released and, who knows, maybe the sheer charm of the story and characterisations will change my feelings.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#15 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:50 pm

In that case, thanks for the feedback!

JustLuke29
Peasant Status

#16 Post by JustLuke29 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:10 pm

Haha. Thanks, now ignore me and my dumb opinions.

But before you do, in an effort to seem more constructive, here's some advice: Avoid using pre-rendered cutscenes in the future; if you can't advance the story either (preferably) through interactive gameplay or in-game cutscenes then, perhaps, you should reconsider the way you're telling it. In games such as yours (in which story, characterisation and atmosphere are so important) you should be very wary of doing anything to jeapordise the  sense of immersion. Pre-rendered cutscenes do exactly that: If they're fantastic then they're a distraction that makes the in-game stuff seem poor in comparison; if they're awful then they're a distraction from the story that you're trying to progress.

One last thingL Your QfG2 remake looks fantastic - keep up the good work.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#17 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:07 pm

My last comment was genuine. You provided more usable information that time.

Also, while I could go through and reply to every point individually, I don't really have the time to do so at the moment, since we're still in the middle of beta testing... and these points you mention are still the opinions of one person. While we do attempt to take in as much user input as possible, we also have to stick to our own vision or it will cease to be our own game. We're not trying to be exactly like Sierra or Lucasarts. We're trying to be like Himalaya Studios and develop our own unique style. Why should any other company's artistic style dictate the way we'd like to do things?

Things like cutscenes, character appearances, puzzles and plot mechanics are all subject to personal opinion of the individual player. That said, cutscenes are also very expensive and time consuming to produce. So for example,  if the general consensus turns out to be the same as your opinion, then it would not be viable for us to include cutscenes in future games. On the other hand, if the majority enjoy them, then that would indicate that they're a good thing which work well to enhance gameplay.

Personally, I think cutscenes suit adventure games better than most other genres due to the story-telling nature of both mediums. It can be a nice way to provide an incentive to keep playing.

Al Emmo's in-game graphics use the same pre-rendered models that appear in the cutscenes, so in a way, this helps the style remain consistant. But of course, the general consensus will determine the direction any future games take and opinions are only valid in my mind, once somebody has played the game (or demo) first.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#18 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:21 pm

I like cut-scenes; they add dimension and depth to the game.

I have to say that I too find "Al Emmo" unappealing as a character.  He appears to me to be a retread of a one-note joke that was mined a long time ago.  I agree that there's no real "hook" making the game interesting and "pop-out" as a great game.  But I only have to go with the screen shots and the bare bones plot info I've been given.   Perhaps the demo will help quell or solidify these opinons I have (and others seem to have as well) so I'll reserve final judgement until then.  As of this moment, however, it wouldn't be a game that I would see and thing "Boy, I should really buy this.".  It helps that I know of AGDI and their work, however.  It's hard to market a game to a niche-market - getting the AGDI fans to be interested is sufficiently easier than grabbing newer fans.

Bt

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#19 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:02 pm

I'd actually agree with the lack of a hook part because honestly, putting myself in the shoes of a person on the outside I can identify with the points being made about the game and it not having a major lure to draw people in yet. This sort of tactic is much easier with sequels, once you've already built brand name recognition for yourself.

So indeed, like you say BT, we're somewhat relying on the reputation of our previous games as a 'hook' of sorts. We don't have the money for a large advertising campaign and outwardly, there's not a lot of public info floating around about the plot, or the characters etc. Therefore, I think it's a natural reaction for people to instinctively compare it to Larry and/or Freddy. Of course, being so familiar with the game, I can say that it's markedly different from both games, and I think people will enjoy  it -- but that's only because I know what happens!  The other hook will be a demo. So while 'hype' has been a long time coming,  it has always been "in the works". The other risk is announcing a game too early and over hyping it (such as QFG2VGA) and then having to compensate by appeasing ansy fans and continually posting half-assed designer journal updates.  I think the "Al Emmo" approach to hype is probably working out a little better for us at this point. :)

Finally, it's difficult to differentiate sometimes whether people are talking about character appeal or game appeal. I can see the justification in lack of game appeal due to the small amount of pre-release advertising undertaken so far.  But an 'unappealing character' usually refers to his 'unappealing-ness' as a personality trait which is really the entire focus of the plot and can actually be a drawcard (i.e. in the same sense as Roger Wilco, Homer Simpson, and Larry Laffer are).

Mordalles
Peasant Status

#20 Post by Mordalles » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:52 pm

i think pre-rendered cutscenes are perfect for adventure games. although it could completely ruin it as well, like luke said. although, the pre-rendered cutscenes ive seen in commercial adventuregames just aren't that well done.

i mean, the reason i love blizzard so much is the fact that diablo 2's cutscenes (made, what, about 7-9 years ago) still amazes me now. and warcraft 3 and worldofwarcraft has truly brilliant cutscenes.

and i would love to see the same kind of cutscenes with that quality, atmosphere and attential to detail in adventure games, but i never do. and that's what ruins most adventure games, the poor pre-rendered cutscenes. awesome cutscenes could take adventure games to a whole new level.

considering diablo 2 was made so long ago, i would expect something better than that in today's age in a commercial game.

wickedthistle
Peasant Status

#21 Post by wickedthistle » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:35 pm

Comparisons of any game's main characters can certainly be made to other games created in the past, but people are much more complex in how they associate to things. A character may hook people for reasons that are not related to games at all! For instance, when I first saw images of Al, I thought of Steve Buscemi's character Seymour in the movie "Ghost World" I've played all of the games mentioned in this thread, but I associated Al with a movie personality instead.

In addition to the demo, I'd love to see some screenshots large enough to be desktop wallpapers, and artist sketches are always fun. Both are cost-effective advertising methods and could be created quickly by the designers.

Cutscenes - I agree with Mordalles. When created correctly, a cutscene can enhance the gaming experience tenfold. I've found that even if the visuals are distracting, I'm satisfied as long as the scene adds to the storyline or my interest in the character. In the case of QFG2, the caravan scene was a wonderful way to make the transition to another area/atmosphere, and it was just so funny that I couldn't help but play it over again a couple of times...

:D

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#22 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:42 pm

I can see a little bit of Seymour from Ghost World in Al there, ya.

Bt

JustLuke29
Peasant Status

#23 Post by JustLuke29 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:56 pm

I'd like to apoligize if my comments were offensive to you developers. I guess I prefer blunt honesty to dressing up my comments with praise. I sincerely do wish you all the best with Al Emmo and, depending on the quality of the demo, I may well end up purchasing the game. I think that I have legitimate reservations about the game but, in many ways, I suspect that producing the game will be an incredibly useful learning experience for you (more so than producing your, quite frankly, superb remakes). It's obvious to me that a lot of love has gone into creating the game.

So, once again, I apologize if my comments seem abrasive. May you profitably produce many games in the future!

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#24 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:00 pm

Heh... just remember that if Al Emmo doesn't go over well, and profit isn't made, the chances of more games being made is dimenished considerably. Even if you don't buy the game because you want the game, it is a good way to say thank you and to support the AGD's. They have done a lot of hard work that they have yet to be compensated for. As they say, remakes don't pay the bills.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#25 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:44 am

navynuke04 wrote:Heh... just remember that if Al Emmo doesn't go over well, and profit isn't made, the chances of more games being made is dimenished considerably. Even if you don't buy the game because you want the game, it is a good way to say thank you and to support the AGD's. They have done a lot of hard work that they have yet to be compensated for. As they say, remakes don't pay the bills.
Look, I hear that - I do.  But you shouldn't pay for a crappy game JUST because your friends made it.  (Not saying in ANY way that Al Emmo is crappy - I'm just saying, don't feed someone mud and tell 'em it's escargot because YOU made it.)

Bt