Sierra Mobile?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

keronian
Peasant Status

Sierra Mobile?

#1 Post by keronian » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:03 pm

Just spitballing here, but how cool would it be if you could get your old-school Sierra games on your cellular phone?  You'd be amazed at how good some of these games look already.  I have Castlevania on my phone, and it looks schweeeeet.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:17 pm

I'm sure I came across a site a year or so ago that had Space Quest on some Nokia phone....

Gabbahey
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Gabbahey » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:12 am

I've added a ton to my treo, but that's palm os.  Sarien is the program that runs them.  Kinda buggy, but really cool to play on my phone :)

ck25
Peasant Status

scummVM

#4 Post by ck25 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:46 am

I know that scummVM (the program that allows you to run Lucus Arts games such as Monkey Island) has been ported to many platforms, including a Nokia phone.

Maybe a sierra virtual machine has be created. Maybe several have.

TravisOwens
Peasant Status

#5 Post by TravisOwens » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:37 am

Assuming DosBox was written in C++, it would be fairly easy to port it to C++.Net Compact Framework, which will allow it to run full blown DOS apps on any Pocket PC Mobile 2005 device, meaning PDAs and cell phones.

Unfortunetly, the average cell phone running Java lacks the power, and more importantly, the screen resolution, to run the Sierra games properly.  Not to mention without a touch screen for mouse based games or a qwerty pad for command based games, it would be torture to play.

I am a .Net coder, but I lack the time and passion to port DosBox to Pocket PC 2005, but expect somebody to do so soon.

rANd0mtHIEf
Peasant Status

#6 Post by rANd0mtHIEf » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:31 am

If we're talking old school 320x200 (isn't it? Thereabouts anyway) resolution, I think current phones are fairly close. I don't know about power, but I'm fairly sure some adjustments could be made so as to play with the keypad.
My mouse has been busted for some time and I don't have the cash to fix it, but I played the Al Emmo demo right through with mousekeys (using the numpad instead of my mouse) without too much difficulty.
I really think with a little more development, mobile platforms will be great for adventure games, and I think it's a pity Chris Jones won't port AGS to them.

TGChen
Peasant Status

ScummVM and AGI Games

#7 Post by TGChen » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:40 am

If you haven't already seen they are adding in the AGI engine to ScummVM ( as the developers of Sarien aren't actively developing anymore.

They have lots of ports of ScummVM including Symbian S60 and UIQ, Windows CE and Palm.

Its is going to be in the v10 of ScummVM so hopefully mobile AGI games can be used.

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Engines

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#8 Post by Gronagor » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:25 am

I've played the old (original CGA) games on my phone... must have them somewhere still. Only problem is... not so easy to type in the commands!! When that da....dirty witch charges you it is tough to get away!  >: