Hybrid Characters

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

SierraDude4Life81
Peasant Status

Hybrid Characters

#1 Post by SierraDude4Life81 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:55 am

This has probably been addressed before, but in QG2VGA Will Hybrid Characters be able to do subquests that are out of thier class? one of the cool things about the original is that I had a fighter who knew magic once, and I was able to do with WIT test. I'd be fun to be able to do that in the remake as well!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#2 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:56 pm

I don't know the official answer but I believe so yes. Most of the scripting in the game is the same as the origninal or does the same or simmilar thing but I'm no expert on game mechanics. (again that's an assumption though)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:16 am

Yeah, WIT can be done as long as you have magic. That doesn't mean there aren't any class-exclusive things around. I personally believe there's very little replay value in a game if it's possible to do anything in one go by making a fighter/mage/thief master-of-all-trades character.

Of course, I'm a purist by nature who only plays with bare characters.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#4 Post by Gronagor » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:53 am

Yeah... don't get why people want 'mixed' heroes.

Go pure! Be a warrior!

(I've heard rumors that Warriors would have more special tasks/quests than the rest as a reward. Also a love interest in the game would only be possible for the warrior-class.)  :p

JTanczos
Peasant Status

#5 Post by JTanczos » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:50 am

No thanks!  I love hybrid characters!  In UO my fighter had magery.  My mage had some fighting!   Just enough to really kick butt!  Although I did have 2 pure characters.  

I love the warrior character because of the sword but also like being able to do music.  Casting a forcebolt before the brigand gets to you and then finishing him off with your sword!

JT

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#6 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:46 pm

that's perposterous! warriors can't do music! I get what you meant anyways and I agree. If my make a hybrid though it's usually a thief because it's easiest to get them every skill in the game. I didn't know about the warrior love interest but I never really played 2 and 4 so that probably explains it.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#7 Post by Lambonius » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:17 pm

Gronagor wrote:

Go pure! Be a warrior!

(I've heard rumors that Warriors would have more special tasks/quests than the rest as a reward. Also a love interest in the game would only be possible for the warrior-class.)  :p
Are we still talking about Quest for Glory here?  Warriors = Fighters?  Each character type has specific tasks, quests, etc, not just fighters.  Also the love interest?  Where you referring to the leopard lady from QFG3?  Cause I'm pretty sure you got that love scene no matter what character class you used.  Am I the only one who is a little confused?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#8 Post by Gronagor » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:40 am

Hey! I'm not part of the team, so it isn't official!! Just a rumor that I've heard!  :p

Yeah Warrior = Fighters.  The Coles like to use both names for the class.
Besides, only fighters can be true heroes!!

(I also heard that if you complete a few of the EOF tasks you'll be entrusted to lead the army into WIT!)  |I

TravisOwens
Peasant Status

#9 Post by TravisOwens » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:00 pm

I also got a kick out of playing a mixed hero in QfG1, but future QfGs made that slightly harder.  When I originally played QfG1 I wasn't a huge fan of replaying a game.  Of course almost 15yrs later I replay QfG1 at least once every 1-2yrs.  But yes, all you had to do was choose a thief, add some magic skilss and then practice your skills in game and you had a fighter/thief/magician hybrid.  And with enough practicing you were equally good at all 3 skills.

I will admit if you're a hardcore fan it would be more purist to play the game 3 times, once with each class but you guys should also acknowledge that some people only want to play once, so they might as well pack as much into that 1 round of gaming.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#10 Post by Spikey » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:12 pm

The main point is that even with mixed characters, you missed essential parts of certain class exclusive storylines. The best example I can think of is the Faery Folk in Qfg4.

The upside is that it enhance replay value greatly. The downside is that you have to miss Tatiana if you don't play QFG4 as a magic user.  :cry

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#11 Post by Gronagor » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:46 am

Yeah. Agreed. Mixed (hybrid) characters also miss a lot of class-related stuff. Guess AGDI should think about adding a few quests for hybrids only.

What I liked about the QfG2 manual was the funny career options that each character had. If someone still have the manual, would you mind posting those career options?? Lots of fun. :)

Ok, since we're discussing mixed/hybrids. What would your first selection be? Fighter/Wizard/Thief??

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Classes

#12 Post by Brainiac » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:21 pm

I always play four games.  A pure Fighter, a pure Wizard, a pure Thief, and a hybrid Fighter with Stealth and Magic who will eventually become my Paladin for III through V.  The first one I'll run through QFG2VGA will most likely be the hybrid.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#13 Post by Paladinlover » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:17 pm

I used to play as a 'hybrid' character when I first started out, but then I learned just how much fun it is to just be a pure character. Of course, there are some logical ways to think about it. For example, if you want to get the feeling of being an 'adventurer' without the hero part, having a 'fighter-thief' character would be interesting since he would go adventuring and pick up stuff from other people while he's at it... just like Conan the Cimmerian, but that's off-topic.

Seriously, the only 'deviation' I make when creating my character is giving the Fighter character some climbing ability. Think about it, climbing is a very useful skill for an adventurer in total. Do you honestly believe that you aren't going to climb anything in your adventures? Or being able to get some place quickly using the 'high' road not a good idea?

This is why I give my fighter climbing ability. Even QFG 3 has a situation which assumes that your character has the climbing skill -- the first round of the initiation contest can be won in a clever way by climbing the tree and getting the ring! Of course, if you can't climb, it will remind you that you can't and you'll have to use the 'conventional' way of doing the whole thing.

Finally, there comes the fact that they add the climbing skill for the Fighter/Paladin character in QFG 4 when you learn it in the Guild Hall.

Other than the climbing skill, I also give my Fighter/Paladin acrobatics. Not only does this look pretty useful in my mind, but it is also a matter of historic fact that Knights (as well as many other warriors in other eras and places) were trained to be flexible and agile, and what better way than to also have acrobatics as a part of your warrior's skill? Also, in regards to Medieval knights, Acrobatics was a part of their training, but I should mention that it wasn't of the 'flipping around like a monkey' or 'walking a tightrope over a raging waterfall' type, but I'm fairly certain they could do the latter in a pinch.

Till next time stay cool  :smokin

TravisOwens
Peasant Status

#14 Post by TravisOwens » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:07 pm

Well I just started a fresh round of QfG1 (EGA, my nostalgia preference) and  you guys have convinced me to play the game without going hybrid.  IIRC the only time I played a pure character I played as a fighter the very first time.  After that I always played as a thief with magic & parry (hybrid) and always practiced my skills to be a good fighter too.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#15 Post by Vroomfondel » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:45 pm

I almost always play as a Thief with magic who's pretty darn good at fighting. As for Climbing, don't you need it in QFG1 if you want full points? That's why the Fighter has Climbing in QFG5.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#16 Post by Lambonius » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:19 am

a lot of people have been talking about how AGD should add some quests for fighters/magic users/thieves/hybrids to QFG2 VGA, but I was under the impression that it was going to be a one to one remake, without any notable additions/changes to the gameplay or storyline.  I think the QFG2 VGA feature pages confirms this (though I haven't checked recently), but if not, then I definitely remember talk in the forums a while back where AGD stated that it was a one to one remake.  Did they change their minds and decide to add to it, or is this just wishful thinking on the part of the aforementioned posters?  Could someone clarify?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#17 Post by Gronagor » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:31 am

You got it somewhat right Lambonius. The basic shape and plot will be the same, but there will be some additions (ie certain areas that the Coles planned to include in the original, but was cut because of limited disk space - it seems they've had a few talks with Lori herself! Cool!).

Also it seems the roads will be different. Many people complained about the tunnels and it was decided to work with something... different. Will be interesting to see. Also Raseir changed a little bit. They didn't say how, but it's meant to keep you busy over there.

But the storyline itself won't change (or at least, that's what they said.)

The discussion here is whether Hybrids or Pure characters are better. Everyone acknowledged that the pure Fighter is the obvious superior class, but other classes would make for an interesting replay.  :p

Lambonius
Knight Status

#18 Post by Lambonius » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:59 pm

cool, thanks that is what i was wanting to know.  i posted that question here for two reasons, the first being that it was most of the replies here that spawned the question, and second that I knew it would be a one post answer, so i didnt want to start a new thread.  as for pure characters, I've had the games since they came out, and I've always played pure.  The thief was always my character of choice, especially in QFG1...there was always something so satisfying about practicing your sneak skill way up and then walking right up to the kobold and taking the key off his neck.  Unfortunately, they never really used the thief to his full potential gameplay and storywise, in my opinion at least.  The thief was a satisfying character to play in QFG1 and pretty good in 4 as well, and the break-in house with the brothers from 2 was always my favorite of the series, I only wish there had been more of them (if i recall correctly there was only one in each of the cities.)  3 was obviously a disappointment as a thief (why they decided not to let you rob anyone in the city of tarna i'll never know, especially when they tease you with not being able to enter the liontaur section of the city; that would have been so great.)  I actually think that QFG5 implements the thief tactics the best, as they come into play throughout the whole game.  Even so, few roleplaying games, in my opinion, have ever made being a theif as satisfying of an experience as the quest for glory series (although the two newest elder scrolls games are REALLY good in that respect.)  So anyway, yeah, thieves rule.  Here's hoping for more thief quests. :)

TravisOwens
Peasant Status

#19 Post by TravisOwens » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:03 pm

Lambonius, I do have to agree with you, overall there was few rewards for playing anything else than a fighter in the whole QfG series (I never beat QfG4 and didn't play QfG5), generally speaking.  They could have done more with the Thief and Magician class.

ex: as a thief, fighting doesn't make a lot of sense, perhaps there should have been a way to rob the goblin camp in QfG1 and even some other minor things, such as when you meet the Fairies in QfG1, you could steal fairy dust instead of dancing for it.

I almost wonder if the alternate classes were an afterthought of the original game design, stuck in during the middle of the design phase.  I'm not asking for a totally separate gaming exp depending on your class, but I do feel the bulk of the game is traditional RPG in the fact that fighting to pump stats is an essential part of building your character.

On a side note, I finally got my hands on the QfG anthology just 2 days ago and I plan on playing the QfG series all over again.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#20 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:48 pm

I just wanna play QFG2!  I've got a jones for it today!  I've got a copy on my old computer, which is across the room.   I can't be arsed to dig out my Anthology from my large CD pile, though!

Yes, though, at this moment - I'd love to play a VGA point and click version of QFG2VGA.  For some reason, I'm salivating at the thought.

Bt

Shade
Peasant Status

#21 Post by Shade » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:09 am

I have always played "pure" characters.  In Trial by Fire there is plenty of time to build up all of the class skills but in later games I tended to focus all of my energy getting the class skill smaxed out and couldn't imagine trying to build up all of the others.  

It is frustrating to play 4 and not be able to help the Rusalka with a non-paladin; I just feel so sorry for her.

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#22 Post by Senor Matt » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:29 am

Yeah, that always annoyed me too, they should have made it so that you could help her as a non-paladin as well.

ChaosBurnFlame
Royal Servant Status

#23 Post by ChaosBurnFlame » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:49 pm

I have just gone through all the games again, and I must say I really like my jack of all trades.

My Super-Paladin really made playing V really enjoyable(I even took the extra time to max out sneak, lock picking, and swimming).  Casting Augment, Protection, and Honor Shield pretty much cuts the damage my Hero can get down to 10%.

That reminds me... I forgot to check and see if Shrink would work on the Dragon of Doom.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#24 Post by Vroomfondel » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:04 am

I prefer Hybrids, simply because it's a lot of fun to play as them (my Thief has 500 in every skill in QFG V, and the only spell that doesn't have a spell skill of 500 is R.I.P). I'd bet that in a battle between a pure Fighter and a Hybrid Thief, the Thief would win hands down. And as for the Shrink spell, I think that it says that it's impossible to shrink something that big.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#25 Post by Erpy » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:32 pm

That's exactly what usually bothers me when people mention the term "jack of all trades". The full saying goes something like: "a jack of all trades and a master of none". If someone has a character who has mastered every skill, he no longer really fits that description. It takes away from the idea that the player has to plan his playing strategy around the characters' weakness. It's kinda like playing Team Fortress as a scout/sniper/medic/heavy weapons guy-hybrid who can heal, snipe people from afar, deal heavy damage up close and run at insane speeds. Of course they'd own every other class, because they have all the advantages of the other guys, but none of the disadvantages.