Buying Al Emmo and AGDI's promise

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

TravisOwens
Peasant Status

Buying Al Emmo and AGDI's promise

#1 Post by TravisOwens » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:06 pm

Update: This post was done in a haste of poor judgement, go here to read more.

I haven't been to this site in about a year so it wasn't until just now that I knew what commercial project the former AGDI member were up to, and from the screenshots on the official Al Emmo site, I can say I'm very impressed (being a fan of oldskool adventure games).

I have decided to announce my promise.... I promise to purchase Al Emmo via their website (so the authors can receive maximum profit) but in offering this promise, I'm assuming AGDI will keep their half of the bargain and will release QfG2 VGA remake in a timely manner shortly afterword.

If you agree with what I have to say, please add to this post as AGDI will eventually see this post and be aware of our expectations.  I want to support oldskool adventure games because I believe it's a genre that's been unrightfully killed by the mindless 3d FPS genre.  I refuse to believe adventure games were a fad and I plan to show my belief where it matters (since games are a business)... with my wallet.
Last edited by TravisOwens on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:18 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Broomie
The Enigma

#2 Post by Broomie » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:30 pm

I think it was AGDI's intention of doing so anyway.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#3 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:30 pm

Thanks for the interest in our commercial project, but at the same time, both Himalaya's and AGDI games should generally be treated as separate entities from one another.

While finishing up Al Emmo will allow us to dedicate more time to finishing up QFG2VGA, it's not something that will really affect progress from this point onward. The remake will be finished at some point, but we can't really make any promises about finishing it faster, because we're already working as fast as we can.  The only assurances we can offer is that QFG2VGA will be finished, but we won't compromise the quality by releasing an inferior or buggy product due to rushing -- especially not after facing two major delays already which were necessary to ensure that the quality level remains high and that fans will be pleased with the end result.

It's great to hear that you're excited about Al Emmo and heartening to hear that you plan to support it.  I think you'll be able to enjoy that game based on its own merits rather than treating it as a bargaining chip of sorts. QFG2VGA is going to be finished, and I personally want to see that happen quickly. The plan is to get it done ASAP. :)

Groveborn1234
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Groveborn1234 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:08 am

Insulting, insinuating you can buy a promise.  If you want to buy Al Elmo, then buy Al Elmo, don't buy it so you can get the free prize.   And by doing so you insinuate you wouldn't buy the game without the free prize.  The prize is free.  ADGI isn't making it for you, they're making for them.  They're just nice enough to let you play it.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#5 Post by Gronagor » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:09 am

Heh. :) I don't think he meant it as an insult. :)  A good gesture, although slightly misplaced.  (not sure... but I think they could get in trouble if they make such a tie between the two projects. Would be better not to suggest it. I think it could be considered making money of a VU game. Rather be on the safe side.)

TravisOwens
Peasant Status

#6 Post by TravisOwens » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:48 pm

I admit I was implying I was buying a promise from ADGI, in hindsight it does sound worse than I intended.  But for the integrity of this thread I won't edit out anything (that's just a dirty attempt to cover it up).

Keep in mind I love adventure games and even though I'm not a western fan (I did play and enjoy Sierra's Freddy Farkus Frontier Pharmacist) I will purchase and give Al Emmo a chance.

I hope it throws in a good dose of witty jokes & puns because that's one of the things that made me fall in love with some of the Sierra genres (obviously Space Quest and Quest for Glory being my favorites).

I hope Al Emmo lives up to the bar Sierra created (I believe they can do it) and we see many more quality commercial games from this team.

Considering the way big business treats adventure games (iow, they ignore them), I believe  the only way we can get our hands on new adventure games is by small groups create and release them.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#7 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:03 pm

TravisOwens wrote:I hope it throws in a good dose of witty jokes & puns because that's one of the things that made me fall in love with some of the Sierra genres (obviously Space Quest and Quest for Glory being my favorites).
Just wait. I think there are more witty jokes and puns than there is normal text. I was laughing pretty much the entire time I played through.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#8 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:10 pm

navynuke04 wrote:
TravisOwens wrote:I hope it throws in a good dose of witty jokes & puns because that's one of the things that made me fall in love with some of the Sierra genres (obviously Space Quest and Quest for Glory being my favorites).
Just wait. I think there are more witty jokes and puns than there is normal text. I was laughing pretty much the entire time I played through.
I was gonna say!! I don't usually laugh out loud when I play humerous games (hey I'm hard to please) but one particular moment at the beginning had me in stitches!!

Milan Easton
Ruler of the Castle

#9 Post by Milan Easton » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:38 am

Thank you so much for your support, Travis!  That means a lot that you've enjoyed our work and agree with our mission enough to support our commercial endeavor.  If you like witty dialogue and jokes, you will be absolutely pleased with Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine!  Although the game is set in the West, it isn't a stereotypical western.  Think of Quest for Glory--the games were settings similar to Germany, East Africa/Egypt, Eastern Europe and the Middle East.  Each game took aspects from each of these cultures into account, but the game was completely original outside of these cultural aspects.  That is a lot like Al Emmo.  It takes place in the West, but it's not defined by the stereotype.

We are excited for you to play both our original work and our upcoming release: Quest for Glory II VGA!  Thank you again for your continued support.  Hopefully with your help, and the support of like-minded individuals, we can convince other development companies that lots of people love the classics, and that they should make such games as well :)

Anonymous Game Developer #1

Alistair
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Alistair » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:19 pm

ADGI isn't making it for you, they're making for them.  They're just nice enough to let you play it.
And you're arrogant enough to be flamed, but I'll hold my tongue.

By that logic, Vivendi's nice enough to let them make it to let us play it. Yeah, right.

- Alistair
Last edited by Alistair on Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#11 Post by Fribbi » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:54 am

In what lands in Europe will this game be sold in?

Some of the screenshots I have seen reminded me on Freddy Pharkas game.

It looks like you are going to smash two flies in one round in this year.

I will look forward for this two games as always. I have been quieter in this year so I can't disturb you with bunch of questions and I will leave as quietly as I can now..

..step..step step.
(Fribbi push the button near a strange big door).
doorbell: hoooonk...
Fribbi: woops...sorry about noise I just didn't know that doorbell had that hideous sound.
loud doorsqeaaaak...
Naked Lady in towel :Eeek...
Fribbi:woops sorry lady wrong door
...faster step sound .step.step.step.
Fribbi: A ha I have finally reach to the the elevator door so goodbye to you all now see yaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!
Repairman: I can't beleave how many people has fallen down there today. Can't they read the sign? The elevator is broken.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#12 Post by Erpy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:32 am

In what lands in Europe will this game be sold in?
It's sold online, so theoretically it's for sale in any country in the world.

wickedthistle
Peasant Status

#13 Post by wickedthistle » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:52 pm

I've played both "Freddy Pharkas" and "Al Emmo". Both games take place in the old west and are humorous. "Al Emmo" certainly stands as its own game and you'll notice that just the first few minutes of gameplay.

They've mentioned that a demo of the first of nine chapters will be released so be sure to check it out!  ;)

For movie buffs, it would be like comparing the movies "Raising Arizona" and "Shanghai Noon" - heh heh.  :lol

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#14 Post by Vroomfondel » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:10 pm

"Al Emmo" certainly stands as its own game and you'll notice that just the first few minutes of gameplay
Pray tell just what exactly this means, as Freddy can certainly "stand as its own game", and I definately notice that in the first few minutes of gameplay.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#15 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:57 pm

People often assume that Al Emmo will be identical to Freddy Pharkus because both are set in the Wild West.

I think she means that, despite both being Sierra-ish western adventures, Al Emmo is unique enough to be a noticeably different gameplay experience than Freddy. And despite comparisons, the two games are completely different and can each hold their own ground.  

She'd be right, too.  :D
Last edited by Anonymous Game Creator 2 on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#16 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:58 pm

I think what she means is that, while both games are western adventures, Al Emmo is unique enough to stand alone and not be accused of copying from Freddy. Wickedthistle is a beta tester on Al Emmo, and can make that judgement based on actually having played the game.

wickedthistle
Peasant Status

#17 Post by wickedthistle » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:11 pm

Yep, Navynuke and AGD2 explained what I meant pretty well. I really need to work on being more verbose sometimes ;) Sorry for any confusion!

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

Wow!

#19 Post by Fribbi » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:37 pm

It's sold online, so theoretically it's for sale in any country in the world.
What????

So does this mean it will not be on computer sale market in Europe in "real world"?

Then I am sorry I can't buy the game then because I thougth it will hit on normal computer market. I never buy anything from internet so I just have to enjoy myself with the demo version and is it ok to ask is the AL Emmo character any related to Larry Laffer like is that suppose to be Larry Laffer's grandfather?

And to B.K.B chick.

You are a nice bold liar but I just remember when you said to me in our E-mail conversation that I was going to be includes ad a special gueststar...just don't lie to me again ok my friend. I was really hoping to see me in the game but when I ckecked it out on the credit list...there was no Fribbi acting on the list as some kind of artist character What a bummer for me.
Oh have no worries about that my chick. I can understand that now it was just another joke setup for me right B.K.B chick?...I mean AGDI girl nr:1

But I have already downloaded that great game and right now I am stuck in that demo.  

But how can I get that flower from the top of the cactus neat the bull Jacob...I mean Erpy. :rollin Does this demo have a ending but I have being wandering in 1 hour and 32 minutes in this game without having any clue what to do. I have finished talking to everybody I can talk to and experienced all of the closed area. Gained lots of stuff but have no clue what I suppose to do with it.  

On thing is very odd to me. After I had waitied until the download was finally finished and after watching the fabolous intro I went to toilet to pee and came back to play the game suddenly I saw Al Emmo was playing with a Yo-Yo. But I don't have any Yo-yo in my inventory so where does that Yo-you came from? Is that a bug or will I not have to use a Yo-Yo for to get that flower from the cactus just like in Simon the Sorceror 3D game?  

And oh yes congratulation with the game. I am really proud of you for what you have done. You are always with full pocket of surprize gift for us all!

And C.W that's was really funny voice you have for Al Emmo. It almost sounded like King Edward from King Quest 1 VGA and also Leisure suit Larry.

BTW what kind of 3D software program did you use for this game? Is it Blender or any other? I am just curious about what 3D programm you used for this game .

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#20 Post by Erpy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:28 pm

What????

So does this mean it will not be on computer sale market in Europe in "real world"?

Then I am sorry I can't buy the game then because I thougth it will hit on normal computer market.
No. Shelf space in stores is very expensive and buying shelf space all over the world costs millions. It's not feasable for an indy-company to finance that sort of thing without a multinational to back it up.
I never buy anything from internet so I just have to enjoy myself with the demo version and is it ok to ask is the AL Emmo character any related to Larry Laffer like is that suppose to be Larry Laffer's grandfather?
No, Larry and Al Emmo are not related. The only similarities between them are that they're both a tad dweeby and not too attractive and that they're both trying to court members of the opposite sex, but for different reasons...Larry's in it for a quick lay while Al's trying to find a bride to take home.
And to B.K.B chick.

You are a nice bold liar but I just remember when you said to me in our E-mail conversation that I was going to be includes ad a special gueststar...just don't lie to me again ok my friend. I was really hoping to see me in the game but when I ckecked it out on the credit list...there was no Fribbi acting on the list as some kind of artist character What a bummer for me.
Oh have no worries about that my chick. I can understand that now it was just another joke setup for me right B.K.B chick?...I mean AGDI girl nr:1
Brit hasn't been lying. There really was a contest where the winner was put into the game. The winner was "Das Jan" who was a regular on our forums some time ago. (in fact, when Britney came to visit me 2 months ago, she and I dropped him an official visit)  I doubt Brit would tell you you won that contest if you didn't. You probably misinterpreted something.
But how can I get that flower from the top of the cactus neat the bull Jacob...I mean Erpy.  Does this demo have a ending but I have being wandering in 1 hour and 32 minutes in this game without having any clue what to do. I have finished talking to everybody I can talk to and experienced all of the closed area. Gained lots of stuff but have no clue what I suppose to do with it.
First of all, make sure you managed to get into your room in the saloon. Second of all, after doing so, talk to the kid loitering outside and see if you can accomplish his dare. If you can, you're close to getting the flower.
On thing is very odd to me. After I had waitied until the download was finally finished and after watching the fabolous intro I went to toilet to pee and came back to play the game suddenly I saw Al Emmo was playing with a Yo-Yo. But I don't have any Yo-yo in my inventory so where does that Yo-you came from? Is that a bug or will I not have to use a Yo-Yo for to get that flower from the cactus just like in Simon the Sorceror 3D game?
No, his yo-yo is a random idle animation. Al has several of them, playing with a yo-yo, cracking his knuckles, picking his nose. (I believe) They're just there for fun.
And oh yes congratulation with the game. I am really proud of you for what you have done. You are always with full pocket of surprize gift for us all!

And C.W that's was really funny voice you have for Al Emmo. It almost sounded like King Edward from King Quest 1 VGA and also Leisure suit Larry.
Would you believe that Al and the shemale in the saloon were played by the same person?
BTW what kind of 3D software program did you use for this game? Is it Blender or any other? I am just curious about what 3D programm you used for this game .
I think 3D studio Max mostly, but it probably hasn't been the only 3D package used.

Lordrasson
Peasant Status

#21 Post by Lordrasson » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:29 pm

I have finished the demo 3 times now it just get more fun each time and yes it does have an end and you can get the flower you must have missed talking to someone or talking to someone enough times!

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#22 Post by Fribbi » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:35 pm

Thanks for the reply lucky guy . Btw B.K.B never mentioned to me about I should enter any contest when she said to me in one of my old e-mail when she was going to include me as some kind of artist stranger and I even remember when she said Al Emmo is about me hahahaha but yeah that just her own funny humor she has about me. :o

I broke the roomkey and can't get into my room so how can I enter then into my room? :cry  ...I was talking about the Al Emmo game you know hahahaha not about myself. :lol

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#23 Post by Erpy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:14 pm

I don't think Al Emmo was ever supposed to be about you. By that time, the foundations were already in place. Maybe she meant to say you reminded her of Al a bit.

Anyway, regarding the key, after it snaps, go talk to the pianist and be sure to check out his piano.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#24 Post by Fribbi » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:17 pm

Thanks for the help Erpy. I played again the intro and now I finally found Jacob Waltz wich is Erpy *Cough*  *cough* character in the game.

I now need to mix a drink. Oh don't worry I can figure it out. I just hope this is not the copy protection like in Freddy Pharkas.

BTW that piano guy sure look like John Candy in his last movie Wagon East. :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#25 Post by Erpy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:29 pm

Actually, he's modelled after Billy Joel.

And yeah, the dutchman is pretty much how I sound in real life. There was nobody else in Arizona with dutch origins at the time of the recordings.