QFG2VGA on Vista

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

x47
Peasant Status

QFG2VGA on Vista

#1 Post by x47 » Wed May 03, 2006 9:42 pm

I'm presuming QFG2 won't be finished until after November 2006 when Windows Vista is released. I was wondering what the chances of it running on Vista are.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu May 04, 2006 12:14 am

Why would you presume that certain exact date?

Anyway, since QFG2VGA is based on the AGS engine I'm sure AGS will have a version for Vista if it wouldn't work anyway. I'm not sure of the specifics, though.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#3 Post by Angelus3K » Thu May 04, 2006 7:38 am

Vista has been delayed well into early 2007.

x47
Peasant Status

#4 Post by x47 » Fri May 05, 2006 1:24 am

even still, I wouldn't exactly pin my hopes on QFG2 being released before 2007.

MusicallyInspired

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri May 05, 2006 4:55 am

And how would you have any idea how far along they are at all when they've been in production of the game for like over 2 years now? That's a little presumptuous. They might release it tomorrow there's no way to tell. I realize it's been a while, but that just means we're closer to the release date not farther from it.

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by AGP » Fri May 05, 2006 5:29 pm

They've been in production for about five years. It really doesn't seem like it's coming out before 2007.

augie2
Peasant Status

#7 Post by augie2 » Fri May 05, 2006 7:33 pm

Vista Enterprise should be out Nov., and since MS missed the Christmas bandwagon they may move the home versions back further than Feb. 07. Anyways, KQII would only load in compat mode in a window in Vista 5308, like 2x3 inches otherwise if I try to run it in full mode I get a desktop composition error along with a sound error for my onboard audio.

I will probably buy Vista though I'll be multi-booting X64, XPX86, and Vista  for quite a while because SW will take a while before it's written to take advandage of the new OSs, and I don't mean KQ or any other game, just in general.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#8 Post by Music Head » Sat May 06, 2006 5:46 am

I'm sure programs that worked on XP will work on Vista.

MusicallyInspired

#9 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat May 06, 2006 8:01 am

AGP wrote:They've been in production for about five years. It really doesn't seem like it's coming out before 2007.
I realize it's been a while, but that just means we're closer to the release date not farther from it.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#10 Post by Paladinlover » Sat May 06, 2006 11:27 am

Oh I hope it will be released before 2007 (or at least somewhere around that) but I don't think I'll be shifting from Windows to Vista so quickly. It'll probably be something along the lines of my conversion from Win 98 to XP... it took quite a bit for that to happen.

Anyway, I do have some suspicion that, sometime soon (perhaps in a few more years) when Windows becomes obsolete and forgotten like Dos, someone will make an emulator for it just like they did for Dos with DosBox.

Till next time stay cool  :smokin
Last edited by Paladinlover on Sun May 07, 2006 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

MusicallyInspired

#11 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat May 06, 2006 5:07 pm

when Windows becomes obsolete and forgotten like Windows
????  :\

gamecreator
Knight Status

#12 Post by gamecreator » Sat May 06, 2006 8:16 pm

Silly people.  As I understand it, QfG2 is a background project.  That means that life, work, family come first.  If there's more work then there's less time for the development of QfG2.  Even if the game was ready for release tomorrow, if something came up then the game would be released later.  Very simple.

As for a better estimate: the game was started several years ago.  It is in beta testing now.  Beta testing is one of the final steps before a game is released.  So chances are good that the game will be released this year.  Having said that, the above paragraph still applies.  It could be years from now if life keeps the AGDs busy and away from the project.

In other words: relax and don't worry about it.

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#13 Post by Ghost_Rider » Sun May 07, 2006 1:50 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:
when Windows becomes obsolete and forgotten like Windows
????  :\

:)  

Yeah that didn't really make sense to me either.  I think maybe what Paladinlover meant to say was "when Windows becomes obsolete and forgotten like DOS"?  That would make much more sense since afterwords DOS and DosBox were mentioned.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#14 Post by navynuke04 » Sun May 07, 2006 4:31 am

gamecreator wrote:It is in beta testing now...
Actually, no it isn't. We consider Beta Testing to be when the final release candidate is presented to a small group of public users for testing. We still have the game in-house and are testing it ourselves. The game is still riddled with bugs, and we want to eliminate those before going into Beta Testing. If we beta tested a product we knew contained bugs, we would be receiving reports on bugs that are already know, and the testers would be less likely to dig in deeper to find the lesser obvious ones.

We'll announce the Beta Testing phase when it's time. I'm sure we'll accept applications from prospective testers as we usually do.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#15 Post by Paladinlover » Sun May 07, 2006 7:00 am

Yeah I meant Dos, but I didn't exactly read it through as I was writing it, hence the silly mistake. This is not the first time I made this kind of mistake and I honestly feel stupid whenever I do. Anyways, I fixed it up, so no worries.

Maybe they should call the emulator 'winbox' what do you guys think? :)

Silly people.  As I understand it, QfG2 is a background project.  That means that life, work, family come first.  If there's more work then there's less time for the development of QfG2.  Even if the game was ready for release tomorrow, if something came up then the game would be released later.  Very simple.  
Actually, QFG 2 is pretty high priority for the folks over at AGD interactive, or so I heard. To top it all, they're working hard towards getting Al Emmo finished. After they get QFG 2 done, they'll be making games for a living, so we should buy their games just to show them how grateful we are for all the hard work they did in making three great remakes! :D

Till next time stay cool  :smokin

gamecreator
Knight Status

#16 Post by gamecreator » Mon May 08, 2006 7:55 pm

navynuke04 wrote:
Actually, no it isn't.
Whoops.  My mistake.  But except for the bug hunt the graphics/music/sounds/coding are done, right?  I thought I read somewhere that it's complete except for the bug list.  (And of course, it makes perfect sense to not give beta testers bugs you already know about.)

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#17 Post by navynuke04 » Mon May 08, 2006 8:56 pm

Yes. All artwork, music, and animations are completed. The game is playable, but you run into quite a few bugs. They tend to be hard to track down because of the 3 class system and the randomness of everything. Work is being done though...

flowerbud
Peasant Status

quest for glory 2 remake

#18 Post by flowerbud » Tue May 09, 2006 12:19 pm

I had no heard about an update sin Jan and now it ia May.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#19 Post by navynuke04 » Tue May 09, 2006 3:10 pm

navynuke04 wrote:Yes. All artwork, music, and animations are completed. The game is playable, but you run into quite a few bugs. They tend to be hard to track down because of the 3 class system and the randomness of everything. Work is being done though...
Consider that your update for now. When we have something more newsworthy to report, we'll make an update on the main site. I promise. :)

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#20 Post by Paladinlover » Tue May 09, 2006 6:06 pm

Fantastic! Some news at last! :D

Till next time stay cool :smokin

NrWarren
Peasant Status

#21 Post by NrWarren » Wed May 10, 2006 4:18 am

navynuke04 wrote:
Actually, no it isn't. We consider Beta Testing to be when the final release candidate is presented to a small group of public users for testing. We still have the game in-house and are testing it ourselves. The game is still riddled with bugs, and we want to eliminate those before going into Beta Testing. If we beta tested a product we knew contained bugs, we would be receiving reports on bugs that are already know, and the testers would be less likely to dig in deeper to find the lesser obvious ones.

We'll announce the Beta Testing phase when it's time. I'm sure we'll accept applications from prospective testers as we usually do.
Micro$oft needs to take a page from your book when they released their
new Internet Explorer 7 as beta. It is riddled with little bugs, it doesnt
even close properly sometimes... yet they claim its in 'Beta' form. When
I think beta, I think of all the evident bugs found when self-tested are
removed, and the product should be very functional, and have at least
most all of its features that it will have once complete... yet, IE7 only
appears to have the bare minimum of new features, (Hardly no originality,
making no efforts to try to 'top' any other browser), its been years... and
micro$oft has plenty of people, and plenty of money to throw around, and
the best they can do is an uncomplete excuse for something new and
functional. I'm not impressed, and I think the way you described Beta
should be the standard. Not as a method to guinea pig the end-user,
terrible product managing in my opinion. (sorry a little off topic)

EnvisagedOne
Peasant Status

#22 Post by EnvisagedOne » Wed May 10, 2006 9:56 am

I'm using Vista 5381.1 and I was able to get KQ1 to run.  I changed the compatibility to XP SP2 and disabled visual themes.  It played in a window that covered the whole screen so I thought that was fine.  The sound (music and speech) plays just fine as well.

DKORNBLET06515
Peasant Status

OR EVEN DECEMBER, IT'S GOING TO TAKE ALOT LONGER.

#23 Post by DKORNBLET06515 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:22 am

I WOULD SAY JULY OF 2007. :lol

MusicallyInspired

#24 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:41 pm

I don't think that was worth resurrecting a 3 month old thread...

dynamic1
Peasant Status

#25 Post by dynamic1 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:28 am

Music Head wrote:I'm sure programs that worked on XP will work on Vista.
Microsoft has already stated that this will not be the case. There are incompatibility problems between every release, and things will probably be worse this time around.

On the bright side, similar to a recent poster, I was also able to launch AGS games on the recent Vista betas.