Question about QfG1 hero import

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

gizzywiz
Peasant Status

Question about QfG1 hero import

#1 Post by gizzywiz » Thu May 04, 2006 1:05 am

I was wondering if by using the stat point glitch in QfG1 VGA will negitive stats or stats over 100 carry over to the QfG2 remake?

If you do not know the glitch go to GameFAQs
http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin ... 83233.html

gizzywiz
Peasant Status

#2 Post by gizzywiz » Sun May 07, 2006 6:38 pm

I figured something out about the import system.  My .sav had a -715 for parry and imported as 53.  In signed binary -715 is

However, the import only viewed the last byte (last 8 digits)

That is 53 in signed binary

So if only the last byte is read in the remake it should still work.

I guess I answered my own question   :lol

Dragonrose
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Dragonrose » Thu May 18, 2006 4:34 pm

How the heck do you get negative stats?

gizzywiz
Peasant Status

#4 Post by gizzywiz » Fri May 19, 2006 9:34 pm

1.  Choose a stat at 0 that you will NOT use (lockpicking as fighter)
2.  Add 5 points to stat by spending 15 points
3.  Use the "page up" key (9 on numerical key pad) to add 1 point to stat.
4.  Now you can keep taking 5 points away causing the useless stat to be negitive and giving as many points you want for all other stats.

Try this ...
Start points: 50
Lockpicking 0 to 5 (15 points spent)

Lockpicking 5 to 6 using PgUp (1 point spent)

lockpicking 6 to 1 (5 points returned)

lockpicking 1 to -4 (5 points returned)

lockpicking -4 to -infinity (return as many points as you want)

plus a bonus of having lockpicking in next game

ck25
Peasant Status

Importing the character from QG1 had a problem....

#5 Post by ck25 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:54 am

Importing the character from QG1 had a problem....

With all the stats at 100 at the start of QG2 the game became to easy. The character is too strong.

Is there a way for the remake to address this problem?

One solution would be to start again, but that defeats the advantages and coolness of importing your character from the first game.

Maybe if you import, the game can be much more challenging?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:29 am

Not really. Part of the reason people bother exporting a souped-up character and importing him is to have an advantage. In fact, imported characters get 25 points to distribute at the start. (instead of the 50 new characters get) But you don't HAVE to distribute those if you don't want to. If you want challenge (at least in combat), raise the combat difficulty. Even an imported character from QFG1 isn't strong enough to face a terrorsaurus at the beginning and expect to actually win.

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

Imported Characters' Point Pools

#7 Post by ATMachine » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:21 pm

Erpy wrote:In fact, imported characters get 25 points to distribute at the start. (instead of the 50 new characters get)
Really? That's a nice bonus! As I recall, in the original QG2 imported characters got no points to spend at all. Are the AGDs adding this feature based on its usefulness in the last three games?

Whatever the reason, that makes me really happy.   :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:24 pm

Not sure why it was added...I guess some people liked customising their characters further after importing. Since it takes 15 points to add a new skill your character didn't know before, 25 points is just enough to add one new skill. Or give a boost to an existing skill.

haradan
Knight Status

#9 Post by haradan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:20 am

Well, since some time passes between the end of a game and the beginning of the next one, I guess it makes sense that the hero improves a little bit in that time. I suppose that's the reason for adding a points pool, even if the original didn't have it. As Erpy said, if you don't like it, you could just skip it, so I guess it's a good idea.

gizzywiz
Peasant Status

#10 Post by gizzywiz » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:34 am

Will the 1 point increments spent like in QfG1 be in the remake (without the cheat of course) or is it the same as the original QfG2 with only 5 point increments?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:22 am

Only five point increments.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Reasoning

#12 Post by Brainiac » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:24 am

Erpy wrote:Not sure why it was added...I guess some people liked customising their characters further after importing.
As I recall, a few of us on the forums asked if import increases would be permissible or not, as QfG3 - QfG5 all allowed full point distribution whether a character was created or imported.  Getting only 25 instead of 50 to distribute strikes me as a good balance between the original of 0 and the equivalent system in QfG3 giving 50 (QfG4 and QfG5 had different point requirements for learning a new skill).  However, I don't know if that was part of the reason the import points were integrated into the game or not.

One thing that occured to me in all this point talk though...you should check that the game can handle point values up to 250, not just 200.  After all, the djinni of the ring can still boost fully leveled stats other than Honor (and they should also properly carry over into the import file for QfG3).

Thyme in Lost
Peasant Status

Re: Reasoning

#13 Post by Thyme in Lost » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:05 pm

Brainiac wrote:
Erpy wrote:Not sure why it was added...I guess some people liked customising their characters further after importing.
As I recall, a few of us on the forums asked if import increases would be permissible or not, as QfG3 - QfG5 all allowed full point distribution whether a character was created or imported.  Getting only 25 instead of 50 to distribute strikes me as a good balance between the original of 0 and the equivalent system in QfG3 giving 50 (QfG4 and QfG5 had different point requirements for learning a new skill).  However, I don't know if that was part of the reason the import points were integrated into the game or not.

One thing that occured to me in all this point talk though...you should check that the game can handle point values up to 250, not just 200.  After all, the djinni of the ring can still boost fully leveled stats other than Honor (and they should also properly carry over into the import file for QfG3).

I know from messing with the Cheat code for Quest For Glory II:EGA, that you can raise all skills to 253 before the end of game and have them import correctly into QfG III. It was a bad idea to have honor or Comm. beyong 200.

So in the old QfG II game, yes, skills could go up to 250 and import correctly.

Thyme in Lost

jayjech
Peasant Status

re: +1 increment to skills

#14 Post by jayjech » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:24 am

Actually, the ability to increase a skill by a single point during creation is present in all of the QFG games.

In the EGA version, you just press "+" instead of PageUp.

However, I highly doubt that most people increase their skills by 1 point unless they're cheating (in QFG1EGA you could exploit to get some extra points, and in QFG1VGA you could get infinite extra points.)

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

Point cheats

#15 Post by Jontas » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:22 pm

What are "things I wish I knew as a kid" Alex?
Last edited by Jontas on Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by DonQuixote » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:35 am

Actually one thing I'm curious about is will the two 50-point bonus you can wish for at the end of the game stay with the character? One thing that used to drive me nuts on the EGA version was giving that bonus (lets say strength) and after fighting Khaveen, it goes back down to 200 and I don't notice until after I've beaten the game.

Will/has that error been addressed?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#17 Post by Erpy » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 am

Did it reset after having beaten Khaveen or didn't you notice until after importing it into QFG3?

I believe the QFG2 stat system originally had safety net code that prevented any stat from raising past the 200 limit. If you used that skill until it would normally increase (meaning if it was really high, it wouldn't increase for a loooong time) and it was over 200, it'd get set back to 200. That would mean if you wished strength to 250 and you did battle until the point where strength would normally increase, it'd get reset to the game's official maximum. QFG2VGA doesn't have this problem...any stat wished to above 200 stays at that point, no matter how often you use it. (although if it was 180 before and was raised to 230, it's not going to improve to 250)

Thyme in Lost
Peasant Status

#18 Post by Thyme in Lost » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:41 pm

Erpy wrote:Did it reset after having beaten Khaveen or didn't you notice until after importing it into QFG3?

I believe the QFG2 stat system originally had safety net code that prevented any stat from raising past the 200 limit. If you used that skill until it would normally increase (meaning if it was really high, it wouldn't increase for a loooong time) and it was over 200, it'd get set back to 200. That would mean if you wished strength to 250 and you did battle until the point where strength would normally increase, it'd get reset to the game's official maximum. QFG2VGA doesn't have this problem...any stat wished to above 200 stays at that point, no matter how often you use it. (although if it was 180 before and was raised to 230, it's not going to improve to 250)

Cool. I always hate when my stats got reset in QFG2 EGA

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by DonQuixote » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:14 am

Erpy wrote:Did it reset after having beaten Khaveen or didn't you notice until after importing it into QFG3?
It occurred in game, I made a couple of quick attempts while fighting Ad Avis to check.  It never bothered me too much, it wasn't as if raising skill levels on QG3 was a hard task... except for "stealth," ehhh...

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Stat boosting between 2 & 3

#20 Post by Brainiac » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:19 pm

DonQuixote wrote:It never bothered me too much, it wasn't as if raising skill levels on QG3 was a hard task... except for "stealth," ehhh...
Which is why I always boosted difficult stats with the djinni's power - usually two out of Intelligence, Stealth, Pick Locks, and Luck.  Then the additional fifty points at the start of QfG3 could max one of the two boosted stats out (usually Pick Locks for the Thief and Luck for everyone else).

Frankly though, maxing Stealth was nowhere near as hard as maxing Pick Locks...as in you couldn't without the djinni and the fifty.

Lambonius
Knight Status

Re: Stat boosting between 2 & 3

#21 Post by Lambonius » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:37 pm

Brainiac wrote:Frankly though, maxing Stealth was nowhere near as hard as maxing Pick Locks...as in you couldn't without the djinni and the fifty.
All QFG games should have included the "pick nose" option for training the pick locks skill.  The first two did, but I don't think that command made the transition to the point and click sequels.  ;)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#22 Post by Brainiac » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:20 pm

Lambonius wrote:All QFG games should have included the "pick nose" option for training the pick locks skill.  The first two did, but I don't think that command made the transition to the point and click sequels.  ;)
The PnC-only games, no.  The QfG1 remake, yes.  Frankly though, not having it past QfG2 was a good idea, at least without increasing the basic requirement to not self-lobotomize.
Last edited by Brainiac on Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#23 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:57 pm

Maxing Stealth was always my first move. It was just plain easy.

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#24 Post by DonQuixote » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:01 am

Brainiac wrote: Frankly though, maxing Stealth was nowhere near as hard as maxing Pick Locks...as in you couldn't without the djinni and the fifty.
Pick locks was easy in QG3, just continuously pick the lock on the Laibon's chest when you break into his hut.

One thing I always did was buy a bunch of mana and/or healing pills in Shapier because you export with those items.  You can max out all your spells, magic, and intelligence the first day (except for detect).  With 50 healing pills fighters and paladins can max out each of the relevant skills and the thief could pick that lock on the Laibon's chest from dusk until dawn--maxing out vitality, agility, luck, lock picking, etc.

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#25 Post by DonQuixote » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:04 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:Maxing Stealth was always my first move. It was just plain easy.
In QG1, 2, & 5, sure.  If was suborn enough, I had to walk around for a few days longer than the game would have lasted in QG4 and I always needed those extra points there in QG3 to get the skill up in a reasonable amount of time.  Too bad there wasn't a way to practice climbing in QG3.