Finished adventure games webring?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Shantzy
Peasant Status

Finished adventure games webring?

#1 Post by Shantzy » Sun May 07, 2006 11:51 pm

I drop in very infrequently here because If I came here every other day, I would only get frustrated.

No luck yet I guess. No problem though, I'll be back in a few months.

Before I go however, I couldn't help but notice that other fangame that is nearing completion. I had no idea about IA and KQ3 remake so it was definately a happy surprise.

I'm a bit dumb when it comes to websearch and I would never have known about KQ3VGA if I hadn't seen it here first. I wouldn't have discovered it when it got finished either of course.

Maybe it could be a good idea to have a webring for the finished adventure games, listing every site as they get their game done. Perhaps skip the adventure games with graphic style that predates VGA but allow the rest.

That way every finished game would be easily accesible. It would I think strenghten the adventure game community if such a link exists.

People who have stumbled across a nice adventure game would probably be very happy if they could easily proceed to other VGA(or up) adventure games they would otherwise have missed. Because many people love the games but don't care to monitor pages of unfinished things so they forget them forever. There are probably quite many like that.

I've forgotten about many projects I waited for. I don't know if they are finished or simply died. I can't remember what the games where called or where they where. It's also a bit of a chore to check multiple sites to see if any game has been completed.

PS. This is not about elitism in any way. Some people just want to game. Some are forgetful. Many have been discouraged from waiting in vain. I'm sure this thing could make the adventure game community to grow. You all want that, don't you?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#2 Post by Gronagor » Mon May 08, 2006 6:40 am

That's a bit tough. Fangames would be wary to do this. A nice hitlist it would be....

But as for other amateur games, wouldn't be a bad idea.

Broomie
The Enigma

#3 Post by Broomie » Mon May 08, 2006 9:39 am

That's what Fanventures was here for, pity it died.

Shantzy
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Shantzy » Mon May 08, 2006 2:44 pm

Gronagor wrote:That's a bit tough. Fangames would be wary to do this. A nice hitlist it would be....

But as for other amateur games, wouldn't be a bad idea.
I keep forgetting that these fan games are balancing on the very edge of legal so I see your point.

Maybe there is a less overt way of doing it though. You could have a special link page on the download section titled "Do you want to play more adventure games?". From there you find links to all the other pages with finished games. They in turn do the same thing of course.

Or why not two stickys in every general forum? "Finished adventure games" and "Adventure game projects in progress".

Perhaps it is not realistic that everyone will latch on but I think most would. The point being of course that, yeah it's good if there is a page keeping track of all the adventure game projects out there, but it is still only one page and one page is easy to overlook.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Fri May 12, 2006 12:20 am

Jamie wrote:That's what Fanventures was here for, pity it died.
Ya any hope for  that

Slarty Bardfast
Royal Servant Status

Lol

#6 Post by Slarty Bardfast » Sat May 13, 2006 6:27 pm

Shantzy, You are sir, a tit. That was worse than "are we there yet" coming from a whiny kid in the back of a bimbo box minivan.  Wait it out, it's a classic being worked on and this is a hobby for the people creating it. They do have to work, pay rent, eat, etc. and THEN they have time to make the game. You'll be able to play it when it's done. It's that simple, until then there's like 50 bazillion other games you could be playing. How about this, while you wait, start playing QFG1VGA from scratch. Do this while your playing a newer game like Elder Scrolls Oblivion, that should keep you occupied.  Play it once and awhile and build up your character. Then, when your all done, hopefully this QFG2VGA will be done. If it's not, well to bad. We'll have to keep waiting. There isn't any kind of contract here, it'll get done eventually and when that time comes, play away. Until then, do what you'd normally do...

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#7 Post by Paladinlover » Sat May 13, 2006 6:41 pm

Slarty, no flaming, please. :)

And BTW, the tone of your post makes me wonder whether or not you've actually read his message or not. He wasn't nagging for folks to release it sooner or work harder, all he wanted was a way to monitor all fan projects in order to make progress checking easier (if they're still being made). To top it all, he doesn't display any of the impatience that you seem to be implying. Just read the first few sentences he wrote and it'll become painfully clear.

Till next time stay cool  :smokin

Slarty Bardfast
Royal Servant Status

Yikes

#8 Post by Slarty Bardfast » Sat May 13, 2006 11:33 pm

All apologies, I was pissed drunk and crusty.  I've just seen alot of "are you done yet" messages both here and sq7 and I overreact every time. :o

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#9 Post by Paladinlover » Sun May 14, 2006 4:16 am

All apologies, I was pissed drunk and crusty.  I've just seen alot of "are you done yet" messages both here and sq7 and I overreact every time.
Well, I guess we'll wait for Shantzy's answer to this, I don't think he took it all too hard.

But one thing I would like to say about posts of your type (I'm afraid to say that they're devastatingly common... and annoy me greatly) is that I believe that most of them are redundant and sound rather arrogant and condesending. I don't mean any offense, but that's the way I see them.

In all honesty, I really don't see any problem with asking for a progress check on what's going on (provided there is something to report). So I guess instead of asking "are we there yet" one should ask "how much farther", but in my opinion they're basically the same thing.

To top it all, from what I've seen of the AGDs in the past five years of viewing their work, they seem very devoted to what they do. The reason why QFG2VGA is taking so long is not because of any lack of time or priority in it, but more of an underestimation on their part of how much work needs to be done on the project. They initially expected it to be slightly longer than KQ2VGA (which took about a year to finish) but realized that it would be far harder to finish, and this is why they're not done (but will be towards the end of the year, I hope).

And one last thing... soon they'll be doing games commerically under their Himalaya's studio name, meaning that games WILL be how they work, pay rent, and eat! Do you really feel that they've done a great service to us all? Then let's pay them back by giving them support on everything they do. I for one, plan to be a regular customer to just about everything they produce! What about you?

Till next time stay cool  :smokin

Shantzy
Peasant Status

Re: Yikes

#10 Post by Shantzy » Thu May 18, 2006 7:17 pm

Slarty Bardfast wrote:All apologies, I was pissed drunk and crusty.  I've just seen alot of "are you done yet" messages both here and sq7 and I overreact every time. :o
Oh, it's okay. I guess the miscomunication is already cleared.

Nah, the only thing I was nagging was the fact that, mind you I'm not sure about it, that people who would love to play fanmade games miss out on them and that it could be easier if the project sites where all connected.
I suggested some system with links from each adventure game project site but it would probably be better if each page linked back to one well-structured site where the projects are organised according to status, and where you can find helpful information.

It would probably be a large project to make a centre for amateur adventure game projects, but I hope someone takes up on it.