I'm waiting patiently for QFG 2

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#26 Post by Paladinlover » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:19 am

AGD's like Ken and the Coles, etc? That's a fairly long bow to draw, man. Last I remember, Ken Williams had a brash, outgoing personality (as opposed to the AGD's, not that we'd ever know of course), and the Coles and the Williams even between themselves have/had a LOT of differences. In fact, they're polar opposites in many ways.
And yeah, the Coles and Williams' seem very different. Almost like polar opposites indeed. (not that I ever met the Williams' though)
But they still produced memorable games and were well loved, and that's the important thing. :)

Till next time stay cool  :smokin

Alistair
Royal Servant Status

#27 Post by Alistair » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:03 am

Thanks for agreeing Ms Empel, been a long, long while since I saw you.
Yeah, I know in particular Lori Cole and Roberta Williams are very different people. I know which one I prefer :)

PL: Well, if that's the important thing, then why your comment? :) I don't think anyone disagrees that the Coles/Williams were great gamemakers..

- Alistair

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#28 Post by Erpy » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:30 am

Yeah, I know in particular Lori Cole and Roberta Williams are very different people.
Heh, Lori Cole told us she only talked to Roberta like twice in her time at Sierra. Roberta usually worked from home so she wasn't seen all that often. Ken and Roberta preferred "simple" games. (it was Ken's son who got the QFG series approved) This in contrast to the Coles who were apparantly already RPG-freaks around that time.

Alistair
Royal Servant Status

#29 Post by Alistair » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:29 pm

Son, huh? That'd make sense.

Yeah, you could cut the tensions between those two ladies with a knife. :P Would that we were there to see the machinations of the Sierra relationships, eh Erpy? :) A well, a fan can dream.

- Alistair

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#30 Post by Erpy » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:22 pm

We didn't hear much about that, but we did hear Lori initially wanted to use the djinni of the lamp, rather than the djinni of the ring in QFG2. (most versions of the Aladdin tale, Disney being an exception, have two djinni's) Unfortunately, because the djinni of the lamp was already used in KQ2, Lori wasn't allowed to use it.

Alistair
Royal Servant Status

#31 Post by Alistair » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:53 am

Wow! Awesome story. :) I'd forgotten all about KQ2 original, since obviously the last KQ2 I played was in VGA. :)

Yeah, I remember Lori telling me she always resented Roberta basically getting priority of resources. And IMO, QFG is a better series than KQ, more to it, so I can understand where Lori's coming from.

- Alistair

haradan
Knight Status

#32 Post by haradan » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:17 am

Erpy wrote:
We didn't hear much about that, but we did hear Lori initially wanted to use the djinni of the lamp, rather than the djinni of the ring in QFG2. (most versions of the Aladdin tale, Disney being an exception, have two djinni's) Unfortunately, because the djinni of the lamp was already used in KQ2, Lori wasn't allowed to use it.
Pretty unfair, I think, since KQ2 was kind of a "Mixed-up mother goose" game (I mean, c'mon, Dracula, a djinn and Red Riding Hood all in one single story?  :rolleyes ) while QFG2 really was set in an arabian nights world.

Alistair wrote:
Yeah, I remember Lori telling me she always resented Roberta basically getting priority of resources. And IMO, QFG is a better series than KQ, more to it, so I can understand where Lori's coming from.
I love both series, but I think its true that QFG had a lower priority for Sierra. KQ5 and QFG2 were made/released more or less at the same time, but QFG2 was made in EGA with of course no CD-ROM version, while KQ5 enjoyed the favours of be called "groundbreaking" for its VGA graphics, new interface and recorded digital voices. BTW, QFG2 was Sierra's last EGA game. Actually it was the only 1990 game to be in EGA (well, along with Hoyle II and Thexder II, oh, and the KQ1 and Mother Goose remakes. That is, the first Mother Goose Remake, since this was the only game I know of that had two remakes).

But this is not so bad, since now we'll enjoy the new QG2VGA by the fantastic AGDI team, which is probably gonna be greater than any version Sierra would have made back then, so let's thanks the Williams for not giving so many resources to QFG. :rollin  :rollin  :rollin

Alistair
Royal Servant Status

#33 Post by Alistair » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:46 am

But this is not so bad, since now we'll enjoy the new QG2VGA by the fantastic AGDI team, which is probably gonna be greater than any version Sierra would have made back then, so let's thanks the Williams for not giving so many resources to QFG.
I was in agreement with you up until then. :) Good post.

The Williams treated QFG scandalously. We might have seen a proper QFG5 had QFG4 not been rushed and released with bugs (1 week of QA!), and had sold more.

I don't know about the 'greater than Sierra' comment, either.

- Alistair

haradan
Knight Status

#34 Post by haradan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:20 am

I don't know about the 'greater than Sierra' comment, either.
Well, although it was kind of a joke, I mean it in the sense that AGDI games have the same quality than Sierra's had, perhaps even more since they don't rush the games to comply with a deadline. In mid-ninetys, Sierra had a mixed reputation of offering excellent but very buggy games, which sadly was reasonably true (I remember at least QG4, PQ3, PQ1 remake, Laura Bow 2 and Betrayal at Antara to have either minor or major bugs).

But don't take it literally, we all know that Sierra was great, and without Sierra there wouldn't be any AGDI and we wouldn't be here discussing these things. ;)

DKORNBLET06515
Peasant Status

TAKES A LONG TIME BEFORE A GAME COMES OUT.

#35 Post by DKORNBLET06515 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:18 am

IT MIGHT NOT BE OUT UNTIL DECEMBER OR NEXT SUMMER.

THANKS DAVID KORNBLET

JustLuke29
Peasant Status

#36 Post by JustLuke29 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:05 pm

Does thanking yourself boost your self esteem? Maybe I should try it myself.

Thanks JustLuke29!

Nope, I feel just as glum as usual.

techie775
Knight Status

#37 Post by techie775 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:05 pm

Personally, I'm not in a hurry for QFG2VGA. I'll get it when it's available, but if I get the urge to play QFG2 i'll play the ega version. It's in SCI01 not AGI like KQ2, so it's not that bad.

I don't mean to sound like what you guys are doing isn't a big deal, I just keep hearing people asking about when the game is going to be released, so
I just wanted to point this out.