Al Emmo Demo Released and Pre-Ordering Begins!

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Milan Easton
Ruler of the Castle

Al Emmo Demo Released and Pre-Ordering Begins!

#1 Post by Milan Easton » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:27 am

Hey guys!

I just wanted to let you know, that the Al Emmo demo has been released for your adventure gaming pleasure! You can find it at the following link:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,647/

Additionally, tonight is the launch date of the official Al Emmo website! You will not want to miss this. It was designed by the fabulously talented Eriq Chang, who also is responsible for designing the Al Emmo coverart, goodies, and some in game concepts. You can prepare for the site's launch by bookmarking and refreshing the following page:

http://www.alemmo.com

We've also opened the store for pre-ordering. The first one hundred people to preorder the game will receive goodies with their purchase (you'll have to act fast, because they're selling like hotcakes), like the types you found in game boxes in the 80s and 90s! Additionally, anyone who purchases the game early has the chance of winning other goodies like the game soundtrack, handsigned artwork, and more! The shop is available at:

https://shop.himalayaforums.com

For those who do not know about Al Emmo, I'll post a brief overview of the game below:

"Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine" is a classic-style graphical adventure game for the PC. In pursuit of unrequited love and inconceivable fortune, a feeble, middle-aged easterner named Al Emmo embarks on a perilous journey into the untamed desert valley of Anozira. Unprepared for the harsh elements (and even harsher residents) that await him, Al's only respite comes in the form of a beautiful local woman, Rita Peralto, who is also the object of every other man's affections. Al soon discovers that Rita is inexplicably linked to a centuries-old mystery involving an ancient gold mine--the location of which has been lost to the ages! There are also rumours of a horrific curse lingering within the mine's dank depths, waiting to lay claim to any mortal foolish enough to venture inside in search of its riches...

With imaginative and memorable characters, laugh-out-loud dialogue, a captivating storyline, and a breathtaking illustrated world, "Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine" will enchant anyone longing for an adventure game reminiscent of the celebrated classics of yesteryear."

The game includes a lot of great features like:

-critically acclaimed voice acting
-fully lip synched dialogue
-thousands of lines of dialogue
-an enticing, in-depth storyline
-3D cutscenes
-ingame comic book style cutscenes
-over 130 hand painted, high resolution backgrounds
-over 25 characters, with detailed dialogue portraits
-critically acclaimed soundtrack with dynamically changing music for a unique gaming experience each and every time
-very interactive environments, with narrated descriptions for nearly everything in the game!
-laugh-out-loud, humorous dialogue
-and much, MUCH more!

If you check out the reviews from journalists and from beta testers, you'll see that the game has been very well received! And, you can try out the demo for yourself today to get a basic feel for the game. Also, feel free to join Al Emmo's myspace friends list at:

www.myspace.com/alemmo

This is your chance to prove to publishers that WE STILL WANT ADVENTURE GAMES...and, to of course, play an awesome, original, classic style adventure game.  Relive those wonderful years back in the 80s and 90s, but in an entirely new way!!!  This is YOUR CHANCE to support our work, and stand up for a cause you believe in!

Thanks guys, and happy adventure gaming!

Anonymous Game Developer #1

Lordrasson
Peasant Status

#2 Post by Lordrasson » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:37 am

downloading the demo now congrats on the release looking forward to trying this out finally!

daventry
Knight Status

#3 Post by daventry » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:33 pm

I went to the Website and the Game looks Awsome, but why do i have to buy it. :cry

Al Emmo looks like Larry Laffer going after Babes. :o

I hope this Game wont have scenes like Freddy Pharkas where you have to make Medecine and stuff, man that was the most difficult, horrible, irretating part of the Game. :(
Last edited by daventry on Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:42 pm

This one costs 30 bucks as well. You can either pre-order a limited edition version for $59 or the normal version of the game for $29.

The reason you have to buy it is because a lot of money was spent on its creation and we can't make that money back if we give the game away for free. :)

daventry
Knight Status

#5 Post by daventry » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:04 pm

When is the release date again.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:50 pm

I hope this Game wont have scenes like Freddy Pharkas where you have to make Medecine and stuff, man that was the most difficult, horrible, irretating part of the Game.
We won't. I believe that was copy protection stuff, so it won't be in here.

As for the release date, we're hoping to release the game within a few weeks.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:15 pm

They're making a big effort into making the purchase worth it - this isn't some slapdash effort - these guys really did their homework, and are making a serious effort here.

I'm buying a copy.

Bt

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#8 Post by Paladinlover » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:50 pm

This is fantastic! I'll be doing my best to order first! :D

Till next time stay cool :smokin

Jenkins Loo
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Jenkins Loo » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:47 pm

I went on the site of Al Emmo. The design of the site is dynamic and funny, it looks like it's made by professionnals!

Then, I anxiously checked the requirements, wondering myself if the client will again be *forced to meet the requirements* ( i.e buying the *best windows* available ) and I was happy to discover that himalaya studios made real efforts in making their game avaiable for every requirements possible; you don't force the client to have / buy requirments like the mercantile machine of Microsoft and related suggests. Most of editors doesn't consider the idea that the client won't force him/her-self to buy another Windows and will turn down to the game he wanted so much ( It's the case for me with GTA : San Andreas while I'm using Win98 SE ) and can force some of them to turn down to the game and those editors loose clients when they don't make their avaiable for most requirments. This explain why I didn't dare to apply for Beta-testing of the demo. I appreciate the ethic of Himalaya Studios.

All in all, to find the site of Himalaya Studios makes me happy and I'm motivated to pay any price that's best for Himalaya :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:53 pm

Heh, this has more to do with AGS not having outragous requirements than with us making sure the game ran on slow systems. For an AGS-game, it's still pretty heavy stuff, especially with some of the effects turned on.

But thanks anyway.

Milan Easton
Ruler of the Castle

#11 Post by Milan Easton » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:59 am

We have made a concerted effort as well though to make certain the game will run on as many computer as possible--for instance, optimizing it so that we could fit it on a CD, for those who do not have DVD players.  Additionally, finding ways to offer the game to international customers, lower shipping, localize the game, etc.  We're trying hard, and thanks for appreciating it :)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#12 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:11 pm

I encountered a problem when running the demo in full screen, The entire game is shifted over to the right side and although my mouse can go there I can't see it, I'm wondering if this is my monitor or the engine or the actual game.

adeyke

#13 Post by adeyke » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:47 pm

Just use the controls on your monitor to center the image.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#14 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:49 pm

well when I auto resize my monitor it just does the exact same thing, I suppose I'll just not play it in full screen.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#15 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:53 pm

You could also try to play it with the 2x Nearest-neighbour Graphics filter in the setup program.

This will up the resolution to something higher, which may be more compatible with your monitor. It may also slow the game down very slightly.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#16 Post by Music Head » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:02 am

Is a copy protection system being added to the full game?

Milan Easton
Ruler of the Castle

#17 Post by Milan Easton » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:42 am

No Music Head.  We trust the adventure gaming audience, and wanted to provide the least headaches for people who purchase and want to play the game.  We had some lengthy discussions about this, and feel that at a lot of times, copy protection doesn't prevent people from illegally distributing the game, but often annoys the people who have actually rightfully purchased the game.

We hope our assumption is correct, and that people give us the same respect that we've given them by choosing to go without copy protection.

Anonymous Game Developer #1

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#18 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:42 pm

And indeed we shall! (well, I shall anyway...come on guys, back me up!)