New member here...

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

davedpf
Peasant Status

New member here...

#1 Post by davedpf » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:14 pm

Hi everyone.  Just discovered AGDI's VGA Sierra remakes, and I gotta say they're awesome!  My first adventure game on a pc was King's Quest III, so its very special to me for sentimental reasons...I sincerely hope the good folks at AGDI will consider remaking it sometime soon!

I've played their KQ1 remake, and I did enjoy it, but for whatever reason I am absolutely LOVING the KQ2 remake!  I think its mostly because of the expanded story, but also because I only played the original once (maybe twice at the most).

But all in all, the graphics are amazingly better than the originals (which is to be expected), the soundtracks are beautifully done, and the point-and-click interface is a godsend.  But the most important thing to me is that despite all these improvements, the games still maintain the classic "feel" of the originals.

Excellent work!!

nilvaz
Peasant Status

#2 Post by nilvaz » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:13 am

actually...you may be pleasantly surprized to know that another group has allready released a remake of kq3 just a few days ago :)
Here

Alliance
Knight Status

#3 Post by Alliance » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:07 am

Welcome to the forums, davedpf!

davedpf
Peasant Status

#4 Post by davedpf » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:14 am

nilvaz wrote:actually...you may be pleasantly surprized to know that another group has allready released a remake of kq3 just a few days ago :)
Here
Hey, thanks for that info!!  This is the first I've even heard of a site doing remakes of classic games, so I just assumed it was the only one doing it.  Call me naive.

Sierra was almost exlusively the only game company I used to buy adventure games from, back during my gaming years.  Its great that two sites have decided to start doing remakes of their games.  Are there any other sites doing this, besides I-A.com & AGDI?

davedpf
Peasant Status

#5 Post by davedpf » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:16 am

Alliance wrote:Welcome to the forums, davedpf!
Thank you, Alliance!  That's "Weird Al" in your icon, ain't it?  Jeez, I remember him back when he first hit it big...had the white-guy afro & the mustache...lol.

Alliance
Knight Status

#6 Post by Alliance » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:05 am

heh. Yes, I'm a huge Weird Al fan his concert was the first concert I ever went to.
And also, there's a Space Quest III Remake going on as well.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#7 Post by navynuke04 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:17 am

davedpf wrote:Are there any other sites doing this, besides I-A.com & AGDI?
Not remakes exactly, but fan projects:

The Silver Lining (An officially unoffical King's Quest 9)
Hero 6 A game that strives to be like the Quest for Glory series, without actually being a sequal.
Space Quest 7 An unofficial sequal to the Space Quest Series

And then there's always AGDI's commerical company:
Himalaya Studios It's the same people that remade King's Quest 1 and 2, but it's a completely original game.
Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine The website for AGDI/Himalaya Studio's first commercial game.

davedpf
Peasant Status

#8 Post by davedpf » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:54 pm

Thank you very much for the info!  This is great, I feel like a kid who just discovered a new candy store!

haradan
Knight Status

#9 Post by haradan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:52 am

Thank you very much for the info!  This is great, I feel like a kid who just discovered a new candy store!
Ha, ha, I felt exactly the same way when I discovered AGDI! For years, I played my games at my 486, feeling a little guilty (you know, like I'm refusing to grow, things like that  :p ) and then I found that I'm not the only one, there are thousands of people out there who love this games and some even love them so much that they remake them. It's great.

So welcome, and grab as many candies as you want, they are free! (And if you feel grateful, pay them a visit at himalayastudios.com  ;) ).

davedpf
Peasant Status

#10 Post by davedpf » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:08 am

Well, I hope you're all happy...

I've played the KQ1 & KQ2 remakes here (absolutely LOVED the KQ2 re-writing, btw), and I played I-A's KQ3 remake, and now I want more!  Seriously, awesome work AGDI (and I-A) has done on remaking these classics!!

But alas, now I'm stuck in the same boat as everyone else, waiting & hoping for new games to be finished...lol...fwiw, I'd love to see as many King's Quest, Space Quest, and Leisure Suit Larry remakes as possible.  Those were my favorites.

Thank you to all involved in remaking these classics!!

augie2
Peasant Status

#11 Post by augie2 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:47 pm

davedpf wrote:fwiw, I'd love to see as many King's Quest, Space Quest, and Leisure Suit Larry remakes as possible.  Those were my favorites.
Hehe, you and me both! As to this thread, thanks for all the great info! This 'kid' who used play these games on a 286 is now going to install KQ3 :D I'll also head on over and check out Al Emmo! I'd better find my CC first!

davedpf
Peasant Status

#12 Post by davedpf » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:21 am

Well, I've decided to play KQ5 for now...its not a remake, but after playing the remade 1, 2, and 3, I don't want to go back to the old format of typing every command.  I wanna point-and-click on everything!

davedpf
Peasant Status

#13 Post by davedpf » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:48 pm

Just wanted to say, in addition to the other game remakes mentioned, I found a Leisure Suit Larry 2 remake...point-n-click version!

I'm a little fuzzy on whether I'm allowed to provide a link to it, so if I violate any of your rules by doing so, please feel free to edit my post & remove the link!

http://www.bigbluecup.com/games.php?act ... ail&id=356

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#14 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:55 pm

Don't worry, I'm sure KQ4 will be done by someone or other before too long. That way you don't have to type then either!

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#15 Post by Kurdt » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:20 am

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#16 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:34 am

Well there you are. And heeeey they bear a nice resemblance to the original Sierra VGA games as well! That skull cave screenshot in particular looks really nice.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#17 Post by Kurdt » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:19 am

Yeah, now here's hoping they stick with it, heheh.

davedpf
Peasant Status

#18 Post by davedpf » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:04 pm

Wow, looks great!  Thanks for the link, Kurdt!

vowl
Peasant Status

I'm new too.

#19 Post by vowl » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:14 am

I'm really glad they made the remakes of Kings Quest I and II. I've had some down time, and I was happy to find these really cool games. I never played Kings Quest as a kid, but I was a huge fan of the Quest for Glory series (I remember playing Heroes Quest in the computer lab at lunch in junior high school). I just wan't to add one more thank you to the AGD team.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#20 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:13 am

Hey Vowl! Where in Oklahoma are you from?

vowl
Peasant Status

#21 Post by vowl » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:54 am

I'm from Oklahoma City, although I like to roam.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#22 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:01 am

Cool. I'm originally from El Reno, though I'm living in Tulsa now.

TribeHasSpoken
Peasant Status

#23 Post by TribeHasSpoken » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:27 am

navynuke04 wrote: The Silver Lining (An officially unoffical King's Quest 9)
a) Thank you for the plug. I've tried to reciprocate this on the TSL forums.
b) Best. Description. Ever.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#24 Post by navynuke04 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:24 pm

Heh. No problem.  :)

raingod
Peasant Status

#25 Post by raingod » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:30 am

Well this is my first post, and I have to say I'm glad I'm not the only one who still loves these games. Even at 41 I still game, but the Sierra games were and always will be something special. I think perils of rosella was the first game for the pc I ever bought. I could be wrong about that-but in any case that was all it took. And to have people take the time to remake them is a blast. I'm glad I've found this site, rediscovered the games, and no longer feel like it's a dirty little secret !!

Scott aka raingod