"Because you DO need to wait"

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

"Because you DO need to wait"

#1 Post by johnb4467 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:02 am

Haven't been here in a while, but saw that there's still the usual "get it done" messages abroad. There was even enough frustration by the AGD team that there was lengthy posts for responses! My oh my! So anyway, I thought it might be fun to amass a list of semi-current games that can keep people busy for a WHILE (not any "5-hour length" games).

I know a lot of people can't afford to go out and buy games, but two games that I'm playing right now, that are keeping me plenty busy, are:

Oblivion (seriously, you could be playing this until Quest for Glory 13 came out...pretty long considering we aren't even getting anymore QG!).

Knights of the Old Replublic II
I haven't even started KOTOR2, as Oblivion is keeping me busy. I got a pair of 3d shutter glasses (work with any NVIDIA card, by the way...and they're amazing...like playing an IMAX movie...though tinkering is required) and want to play KotoR II with them once I finish oblivion (oblivion = too high system req's to use glasses...big perf hit).

Anyway, feel free to add on to the list, everyone. I think it's just important to remember that there's plenty of games out there -- and soon to be, Al Emmo -- that we can play while we wait for QG2VGA...so there's really no need to complain...especially since many of the games can be had at low, LOW prices via ebay, etc.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#2 Post by Vroomfondel » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:28 pm

On that note, I would recommend the Hitman series if you want to kill time (pun intended) while waiting for QFG2. Excellent series, the amount of story makes it almost like an adventure game, good music, and the gameplay will move at a variable speed depending on how you play (ie Be like Rambo and shoot everything or move slowly but stealthily). Good stuff.

Adventure_Knight
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Adventure_Knight » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:33 pm

I recommend any Zelda game, except the unnoficial ones released on LCD and CDI. My favourites are A Link to the Past (You can still find the remake for Game Boy Advance) and The Wind Waker (For GamCube). The games hybrids of RPG, Action Adventure and Graphic Adventure games.

techie775
Knight Status

#4 Post by techie775 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:13 pm

I like KOTOR II, it is a very good game but Lucasarts rushed it to be shipped after the sucess of the first one and the ending is very disappointing. It's still a good game, but also try KOTOR. Both take many hours to complete.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#5 Post by Boogeyman » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:29 pm

techie775 wrote:I like KOTOR II, it is a very good game but Lucasarts rushed it to be shipped after the sucess of the first one and the ending is very disappointing. It's still a good game, but also try KOTOR. Both take many hours to complete.
No kidding.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#6 Post by gamecreator » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:55 am

Taking into consideration the site we're on, I would suggest listing free adventure games.
Here are quite few.

Skyshark
Knight Status

#7 Post by Skyshark » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:20 am

I've getting into Battlefield 1942 lately (starting to get old, but fun nonetheless). Usually resort to the consoles for games like Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, Gran Turismo 4 and the like, but my PS2's starting to act up a bit (not reading some game discs and so forth).

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#8 Post by Vroomfondel » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:30 am

Taking into consideration the site we're on, I would suggest listing free adventure games.
Here are quite few.
Huh?! Why would it matter what games we recommend, as long as we're not providing links to pirated software? All we're doing is swapping ideas on what we should do while we wait for QFG2.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#9 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:32 am

I think he meant that because you're on a site that gives out free adventure games, everyone has that in common. Most people would go for more free adventure games.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#10 Post by gamecreator » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:30 am

:eek  :lol  Good lord...
Thanks, navynuke04, for the clarification.

Adventure_Knight
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by Adventure_Knight » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:35 pm

This game can keep you busy for a few years... (But use a download accelerator for the download): http://www.animaro.com/?aff=20

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#12 Post by Paladinlover » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:37 am

I'm perfectly happy with waiting for QFG2VGA, and in all honesty, I will wait until every little bit of flaw has been hammered out. We're not a war, we're not in a state of emergancy. There's no need to rush anything, so take your time, AGDs, I've waited patiently for many years and I can most certainly wait a bit more. :)

The only thing on my mind now in regards to the AGDs/Himalaya studios is getting their latest commerical game. There has been some (read: Many) difficulties in getting my credit card to order it. I don't think I was able to fulfill my goal of being among the first to order it, but oh well, at least I would have ordered it eventually. :o

Till next time stay cool :smokin

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#13 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:39 pm

Well, I can't wait.  From this moment forward, I will not download AGDI's free version of QFG2VGA.  This is my protest.  I will not take their free game.  I've waited too long - it's ludicrous to wait this long, and I will wait no longer.  I'm done.  When it comes out, I shall look the other way and nary shall my eyes fall on the spectacle that is QFG2VGA.

Bt

Laur
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Laur » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:54 pm

It's probably obvious, but if you like playing as the thief in QfG, chances are you'll really enjoy the Thief series of games.  Imagine robbing the bank and breaking into the General's fortress in QfGV, but from the first person perspective.  There's also a huge amount of fan created content out there (see http://www.thief-thecircle.com/), a lot of it of very high quality (see http://www.thief2x.com/).   Very easy to spend many, many hours lost in these games.  The originals are also very inexpensive, Thief Gold is a $20 download at Eidos.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#15 Post by Gronagor » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:19 am

Bah! Bunch of thieves!! We'll bring back justice via the point of a sword!

wussie
Peasant Status

#16 Post by wussie » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:55 am

techie775 wrote:I like KOTOR II, it is a very good game but Lucasarts rushed it to be shipped after the sucess of the first one and the ending is very disappointing. It's still a good game, but also try KOTOR. Both take many hours to complete.
lucas arts had nothing to do with kotorII, that game was made by bioware and liscensed by lucas arts.

Betelgeuse
Peasant Status

#17 Post by Betelgeuse » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:06 pm

you might want to rephrase that statement. "kotor2 was licensed by lucasarts. lucasarts had nothing to do with kotor2." see the logic problem there? :)

techie775
Knight Status

#18 Post by techie775 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:36 pm

Sort of reminds me of QFG4 being rushed, but at least the storyline was complete but was loaded with bugs. Here's a link to the forum with page on kotor2 cut stuff ; http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=29764

moonlit
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by moonlit » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:33 pm

Hi,

Kotor II is pretty good (but I don't think it compares to morrowind or oblivion although I haven't play the last one yet). Games I played recently are
-Myst IV revelation, difficult puzzles (of course), the graphics are really amazing. You can interact with the 3D environment though you can still only go from point to point. Nice music.
-Beyond good and evil. Very cartoonish, really love this game. Great music, cartoon-like graphics. It has some adventure elements, (optional) arcade sequences (which I usually hate, but I actually tried some (and lost :-)  ).
-'Echo' just came in today but haven't installed it yet. But I liked the latest keops games like mysterious island (very good) and Journey to the moon.
-And NWN which I still haven't finished, but play it now and then. Saw, there was even a new free expansion pack to download.

Regards, Ron AF Greve

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#20 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:44 pm

while I wait and waste away my summer I'm either going out places with friends or replaying the Grand theft auto series trying to get 100% in each. I really don't care if the game is released today orin 10 years. I just want closure to the series for me in any way, I missed out playing 2 and don't know much of the storyline and I've read about Shadows but never got it to run.

Solitary_man
Peasant Status

#21 Post by Solitary_man » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:24 am

http://www.tawmis.com/collector/Games/Q ... fG&XP.html  

That link has some nice tips on getting the QFG series to run on newer machines. One thing I can tell you about qfg IV is that I'm pretty sure only the CD version works on windows xp. The floppy disk version will refuse to run at all regardless what you try. (DOSbox, etc...)

I first discovered QFG when I purchased a copy of dragon fire a few years back, and I have been hooked on adventure gaming ever since. So far I have only played through 1 and 5, I have been waiting for the remake of trial by fire so that I can play them all in sequence. Technically I could do that now... but I too dislike the EGA graphics featured in the original games. I'm not obsessed with graphics or anything, I just highly dislike EGA. It takes a lot of will power to not rush ahead and play three and four. Hehe  

PS That site also has tips for other sierra games as well.

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:42 am

wussie wrote:lucas arts had nothing to do with kotorII, that game was made by bioware and liscensed by lucas arts.
Bioware made the first KOTOR. OBSIDIAN made KOTOR 2, and lucasarts rushed them to get it done, hence KOTOR2=not up to snuff.