Quest for boredom remover

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Alliance
Knight Status

#51 Post by Alliance » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:22 am

I think maybe just putting a new hero in a new world would work. After five games, I think the old hero is just about done questing.
However...
I do like the ideas of the old QFG hero appearing in folklore.
And I would especially love the new hero to be Irish/Scottish. A Celtic adventure would be a great start for a new series. (Especially with all the Celtic myths)
Maybe someday in the future: IA, AGDI, Squadron Six Entertainment (formerly called Dogma Day Games), and other adventure teams could collab on such a project. After all, it could be a great game with all those talented teams.

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

#52 Post by Jontas » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:23 pm

gamecreator wrote:Really, I think any of the possibilites could be made enjoyable, so consider this a five-way tie, but here's my order of preference (from most to least ideal):
  • New hero, known world
    Known hero, pre-QfG5 game
    Son of known hero
    New hero, new world
    Known hero, post-QfG5 game
I'm pretty much with you except I would switch options 4 and 5 around. As far as I'm concerned, if it's not in Glorianna, it's not Quest for Glory. Also, I think by denying the existance of the origional hero, you rob QFG of it's legend.
Alliance wrote:Maybe someday in the future: IA, AGDI, Squadron Six Entertainment (formerly called Dogma Day Games), and other adventure teams could collab on such a project. After all, it could be a great game with all those talented teams.
If they could secure the copyrights, or somehow get permission to produce the game commercially, I would be the first person in line to buy it.

NightSpawn
Peasant Status

Enough is never enough,. . .

#53 Post by NightSpawn » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:07 pm

Sufice to say, that if you have ever had the pleasure of experiencing the Quest for Glory phenomenon, then odds are good that you are hooked.  A lot of people want to cut out the old hero, or use the hero's son, or build onto his expansive legend.

Hey, I'm all for another QFG game.  I mean, I don't care if it's the same guy or not.  Frankly though, I do think that a 6th adventure would be a bit much for our current hero.  I mean, the original title was Hero's Quest.  The whole concept of the game is about becoming a hero.  I mean, the protaganist in all of these games became a hero though a mail-order course.  What's to stop him from passing on his wisdom like FA (Famous Adventurer), you know starting his own school for heros.  Maybe open up some new concepts, like new classes and character types.  Allow for heroines too.  {Which I know would be a pain in the a$$ to program I'm sure.}

The story ended in Grecian-like setting, and there are hundreds of Greek myths to be touched upon.  I will admit however, I worry that the next evolution of the QFG series would almost have a D and D feel to it.  Hell, even with the whole son idea.  I mean, it worked for KQ3, which was one of the better games in that series.  And even Alxander got a sequel eventually.  So, maybe we could get another 2 or 3 games out that idea.  There are limitless possibilites for a 6th installment of this game.  It doesn't have to be a limited project, collaborated on by only those willing to work for it.  I would volunteer to whatever capacity I could of myself to help create a new QFG.  I mean, I have been a huge fan of these games ever since I learned how to turn a computer on.

Here, let me throw a few more ideas out on the table to be torn apart:

How about an "The Incredibles" sort of story thing.  You know how the protaganist couldn't stop being a superhero.  Well, maybe our hero secret can't give up his life as a hero, so he continues on with it on the sly.

Maybe still, our hero finds himself drawn away by magical forces, a QFG IV similar situation.  A whole new land, with new adventures.

A 6th adventure bringing back the dark cult of Avoozl.  I'm sure he had more followers.  I mean, Ad Avis was from the Middle East while Katrina was from Eastern Europe/Western Asia.

Look, all I'm saying is that there are endless possibilites here.  So many possible ways to take this.  However, I don't think that the original designers will ever make another one.  In the mean time though, there are countless groups remaking these classic games.  I mean, look what Tierra did with KQ2.  They wrote a whole new story line for it.  I have to admit it, it was far better than the original.  Between all the fans of QFG in the world, I'm sure that someone, somewhere has an award winning idea out there.  If not, we can all at least agree on the opinionated fact that the QFG series is by far one of the best, if not the best game in the world.

Neurotically Yours,
NightSpawn

ejx982
Peasant Status

#54 Post by ejx982 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:11 pm

Anyone here who has imported characters from: QG1->QG2->QG3->QG4-QG5 knows that your character is really rocked.  You can defeat almost any monster, you don't have to buy spells since you already know most of them, and your skills are very high. The only realistic way, is to have a new hero *or* have a spell or similar casted upon him that saps his skills 1/2 down.  They can still be built back up to 600, but it would level the playing field.  

The previous QG games only recorded player's stats & class, so the source code of QG5 would have to be released before someone could make those adjustments... but I would better still have it be a new hero, say a fellow classmate from the Adventure's Coorspondece school.  In my opinion, only the Cole's should make a true QFG6... I dig the idea of Hero6 being fresh look, new ideas.  The game should resemble QFG, and it should name drop references, but they shouldn't be plentiful, they should be difficult.  Say, the blackbird, a Katta in the background..etc...
That's just my 2 cents tho

ejx982

rANd0mtHIEf
Peasant Status

#55 Post by rANd0mtHIEf » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:25 am

I know everyone desperately wants another QfG game, but what would it actually mean for it to be another QfG game?
Most of this discussion assumes that what made QfG so awesome was the story/world/characters, and that's kind of what I thought too, but the general consensus when I explicitly posed that question elsewhere was that it was mainly the unique mix of adventure and RPG.
Would it be just as awesome to have another, completely unrelated game that got that mix of puzzles/character/challenges etc spot on? Or is it the world which makes the game after all?
Or are we all just being nostalgic, so that I've really missed the point of this thread by overanalysing? =P

Faeriefire
Peasant Status

#56 Post by Faeriefire » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:20 pm

no, I think you bring up a good point.  Are people really wanting a similar QFG game with the mix of puzzles and battle? Or are they actually aching for that old feel?  Personally I'm more of the latter group.  Though each game introduce a different 'world' with new characters and concepts, it seemed to be connected, they next game felt like a continuation of the previous one.
I think people would enjoy a similar game, but it'd always be with a muttered "it's good, just not the same as Quest for Glory".

Archeryman
Peasant Status

#57 Post by Archeryman » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:29 am

I know for myself, I've loved these games since my Dad showed me QfG1 when I was 3. Since then I've been hooked. As i grew up, I kept realizing how much each story connected and grew in complexity, and that's what I fell in love with.
For a 6th game (assuming some divine influence creates it, since Vivendi isn't) I think I would like the old character most, simply because of his complexity. I mean come on people, look at the other games we have out these days! You think we can make Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, but we can't get a hero with what? 80 different configs max. Upon reading this whole thread, there are so many ways the story could go! Ireland/Scotland, Asia, America, India, Korea/Vietnam. I'm not going to summarize everything in the thread, but I think if a 6th game were to be made, there would be lots of ways to do it. My vote is for the old hero in Glorianna. A new hero would still be cool, especially if the old hero's adventures were referenced as Jontas had said.

djIndy
Peasant Status

#58 Post by djIndy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:20 am

You can please all of the people some of the time, you can please some of the people all of the time, BUT you cant please all of the people all of the time.

That says it all for a potential QFG6 game, but i think that you'll agree that qfg6 should take off where qfg5 left us. However that itself is the biggest problem, "where qfg5 left us". Qfg5 I believe and im sure most of you agree was designed/structured to be the end, a finale, a conclusion or whatever you like to call it, of the qfg series quite unlike the other sierra series. So the problem is how do we turn an "ending" into a "to be continued..."??

A new hero, and old hero: with his stats brought down(by magical means).... should it be in glorianna or a new world entirely...??? Everyone of us has our own idea but in the end who is right?? Which way or path would bring true justice the qfg series?

At the end of the day i just want to see Wolfie in it "Go punjab" (said in heavy indian accent)  8))

Moses T
Peasant Status

#59 Post by Moses T » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:55 pm

I think Mask of Eternity could have been a great QFG sequel.  Instead of Daventry, he could have started off anywhere.  The weapons he used could have been limited depending what class he was.  The QFG games tend to stick to one area.  Why not save the whole world this time?  And besides he wouldn't be interacting with anyone but evil creatures.  Sure he also had a voice, but I think something was lost in the narrator telling his story instead of himself.

rANd0mtHIEf
Peasant Status

#60 Post by rANd0mtHIEf » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:10 am

I may as well stop trying to actually work out where we're going and just jump on the bandwagon with QfG6 ideas.
Way back when QfG5 first came out, my brother and I came up with an idea whereby Spielberg gets invaded by the Frost Giants (which initially seems to make no sense because they've always been around and never attacked en masse). They have more than just warriors, magic users, a whole culture and whatnot, and ice begins to cover Spielberg, so the Baron send for help from the King of Silmaria, who saved them before and now has a kingdom to draw upon. Because of his kingly role, he sends an envoy of adventurers and diplomats, the best the kingdom has to offer, to investigate and see if something can be done (Possibly Elsa would be amongst these, or would have gone back earlier, or something. Obviously her position on this has to be mentioned somehow, even if she doesn't play a huge role). After weeks, nothing is heard, either from the Baron or from the Silmarian envoy, so the Silmarian government/council (sorry, it's been a while since I played or thought about this, but you know what I mean) hold a meeting to decide what to do next. Basically, they decide to either wait even longer or send another envoy (presumably of the second best the kingdom have to offer), neither of which alternatives is acceptable to the king. He rises, removes his crown, and announces that King or not, he will go himself. A crown can be won or abdicated, but a Hero is always a Hero.
Details regarding whether he has to sneak away in the night and be transported there magically by his old buddy Erasmus (who might or might not take a more active role if his tower has been iced over), or be sent by ship/land/whatever with an official group who are all killed off on his arrival, or any of a multitude of other ways of managing things would be decided closer to production.
Basically, the idea is that this would give you a feeling of having completed the mythic cycle with a return, would have you killing left and right creatures you couldn't so much as touch with 100 weapon use (and who knows, maybe Braugi was even a particularly mediocre frost giant), explain why you return to adventuring, and let you interact more thoroughly with the regions north of Spielberg.
Turns out not all the ice giants are on the offensive, just some who are acting under the direction of that demon lord you see through the portal in QfG3 but never finish off, who has made a strike against your friends in order to lure you out and destroy you. This lets you tie up a couple of loose ends too.
My brother (a wheel of time fanatic) mostly contributed the idea that high level fighters would have the opportunity to become yet another new class, the blademaster, who uses various sword forms and special moves. That idea seemed cooler a decade or so ago.

Archeryman
Peasant Status

#61 Post by Archeryman » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:37 am

I havta admit, that's actually not a bad idea. I could see some really cool cinematics for the intro to that. Of course, some of the details would have to be ironed out, but still, it's better than the other ideas I've heard. I don't realy think the Fighter should branch off again, simply because he already did. I think maybe the magician could branch off into a more illusionary/time dialation magic rather than combat spells. I think Elsa's role could be kinda like that of QfG5, where she assists u every now n then, but you do most of the work. Also the idea of Spielburg in 3d amuses me. :D

rANd0mtHIEf
Peasant Status

#62 Post by rANd0mtHIEf » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:09 am

Of course, if they did make QfG6 (regardless story or gameplay was involved), we'd finish it and beg for QfG7. Wasn't QfG5 done as a result of fan demand? I seem to remember I had a little note from the Coles on my CD to that effect, along with the all-too-prophetic warning "Don't finish it too quickly, you'll miss it when you're finished". That's exactly where we are now.
Does anyone know what the status of the QfG intellectual property is though? I know Vivendi officially owns the series, but there have been several game franchises I've heard of where basically the publisher owned all the rights to use of the title, but the contract involved no transfer of rights to the world/characters etc, so those remained in the possession of the developers (in this case, that would be the Coles). As a result, the developers were technically free to make sequels in the same world under a different name. Maybe that's not the case here, but it would make things slightly different.
However, I think we'll probably be happier endlessly dreaming of sequels than we would getting one. Dreams always last longer.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#63 Post by Lambonius » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:20 pm

rANd0mtHIEf wrote: However, I think we'll probably be happier endlessly dreaming of sequels than we would getting one. Dreams always last longer.
well said.  although, we'd be even happier if every one of those dreamed up sequels materialized into brilliant fully-realized QFG games.  ;)

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

Quest For Glory: (Add Title Here)

#64 Post by Billetwound » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:52 pm

Seems to me that alot of people are argueing whether or not a new sequel could come to pass when i came up with this thought.  Instead of making 1 game, You could make a grouping of games, hence keep the fun going.  For instance Say you were a Paladin, married Erana, and turned down the throne, well you could Play "Quest For Glory: A Paladins Quest For Honor".  Or maybe you were a fighter and Married Elsa and became king so you could play "Quest For Glory: A King's Quest For Justice".  Maybe "Quest For Glory: A Wizards Duel" or "Quest For Glory: A Rogue's Desire".  You know along that line that way you could have a work out for every story line.  Plus after one was finished you could get the next one that has a whole different storylines, quest, and ending.  And the kewl thing is maybe one group of people could make one of these storylines and another group can work on another. One storyline could be in Silmaria, maybe a new place they haven't been.  Just seems like that would be the best way to handle the situation and still keep the game kewl and this way you could even have and end to our hero. And if it was commercially done do it as a compilation Disc with all of the different storys on it.  Just a Thought.

Another thought i had was just to generilize the but give different intros.  If you import your character it still wouldn't know the choices you made just the stats of your hero.  So when you start the game it gives you options.  Who is your Wife,  What is your fate (King or hero).  And then that premade intro will load up say if you were the king you had to give up your throne to defend the world of a Demonic attack and you start here.  or if you didn't take the throne you were summoned by the Elsa "Or whoever" and was given the task against defending the world.  So the intros would be different (And maybe the outro's) But the story ingame could join together each scenerio from the previous game and our Blonde Haired Hero would continue his Quest For Glory.

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

good ideas

#65 Post by Jontas » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:36 pm

I really liked your ideas rANd0mtHIEf, You'd probably want to incorporate an elemental theme and some other QFG details, but I admire your creativity.

I was just thinking, whatever happened to hero6?
Also, could the fact that Vivendi never tried to stop them be a good sign for others who wish to develop an unofficial sequal?

Broomie
The Enigma

Re: good ideas

#66 Post by Broomie » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:50 pm

Jontas wrote:I really liked your ideas rANd0mtHIEf, You'd probably want to incorporate an elemental theme and some other QFG details, but I admire your creativity.

I was just thinking, whatever happened to hero6?
Also, could the fact that Vivendi never tried to stop them be a good sign for others who wish to develop an unofficial sequal?
Hero6 isn't a sequel, it's an original game based off the QFG series, but game alike, there is no tie-in with the plot or anything. It's just a code name, it's not a sequel though.

djIndy
Peasant Status

#67 Post by djIndy » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:12 am

Even though Hero6 isn't a sequel its probably the closest thing we will get to a qfg sequel. Unless some actually decides to put pen to paper... hmmm like the guys who did "QFG 4 1/2 So You Thought You Were a Hero?"  :rollin Anyway a question could you legally create a QFG sequel?

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#68 Post by Kurdt » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:19 am

No. Legally, you can't create any sequel, prequel, remake, or lost chapter to any Sierra game because you don't own the copyrights. It doesn't stop people from doing it, though. Sometimes, like in the case of KQ9 and AGDI, they'll give you permission. Sometimes they'll shut you down. Most of the time, like with KQ3, they'll just pretend you don't exist.

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

Re: good ideas

#69 Post by Jontas » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:38 pm

Broomie wrote:Hero6 isn't a sequel, it's an original game based off the QFG series, but game alike, there is no tie-in with the plot or anything. It's just a code name, it's not a sequel though.
Dude I know, I shouldn't have used the word sequal, but you know what I mean. Anyways point being, would Vivendi ignore fan makes of QFG games given the unique nature of the copyright situation? Probably not.

djIndy
Peasant Status

#70 Post by djIndy » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:26 am

Kurdt wrote:No. Legally, you can't create any sequel, prequel, remake, or lost chapter to any Sierra game because you don't own the copyrights. It doesn't stop people from doing it, though. Sometimes, like in the case of KQ9 and AGDI, they'll give you permission. Sometimes they'll shut you down. Most of the time, like with KQ3, they'll just pretend you don't exist.
Interesting, so in the case of "qfg 4 1/2" and "kq3" they were simply ignored? Fair enough! So where would you draw the line? Would you attempt to get permission to create a qfg sequel or would you just go ahead a do it and hope to be "ignored"?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#71 Post by Erpy » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:38 am

QFG4.5 wasn't ignored, it was apparantly issued a shutdown request by Sierra.

NightSpawn
Peasant Status

#72 Post by NightSpawn » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:07 am

Here's a thought, the idea hit me a couple of days ago, and I thought it sounded good.  We all know how our hero became a hero.  Well, what if, a new series of games were based on an opposite to our hero.  Bear with me as I try to elaborate on this concept.

Our hero had to complete the correspondence course to become a great hero.  We built him up in many lands, and journeyed far and wide completing all manner of quest.  What if there was a villan's correspondence course.  You know, maybe this guy goes on a quest to become the greatest villian in the world.  You know, the whole stat building element, transferred from game to game, until you reach the timeline where we left our hero last.

Now, create a dual nature game, where you can either be the villian against the hero, or the hero against the villian.  Either way, you can import both characters into the game, and now your opposite has all of the strengths and weakness and imperfections that you created him to have.  I know this idea is a little out there.  Not only would this create a new series with a potential for 5 games, but it opens the door for a sixth game cross between the two.  I know its a wild pipe dream, but I think it would definitely be something that we could all see ourselves playing, provided it was done in classic QFG format.

I would love to know what people think about this idea.  So be sure to drop a line.  I know the idea has some serious holes in it, but like I said, it's a thought in progress.

Neurotically Yours,
NightSpawn

TribeHasSpoken
Peasant Status

#73 Post by TribeHasSpoken » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:55 am

Sounds a little like the concept behind Infamous Adventures' upcoming "Quest for Infamy", where you play a villain in Spielburg.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#74 Post by Kurdt » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:53 am

Yeah, let me go ahead and just put the link right here:

http://www.infamous-adventures.com

TribeHasSpoken
Peasant Status

#75 Post by TribeHasSpoken » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:53 pm

Sorry for not actually linking to you, Kurdt. I assumed that even if he didn't know about QFI, that he'd at least know about your group because of the KQIII remake. In hindsight I should have erred on the side of caution.