What makes Quest For Glory so great?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

rANd0mtHIEf
Peasant Status

#1 Post by rANd0mtHIEf » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:36 pm

Wow, I really haven't posted here in a long time. I thought I remembered this board having a poll feature, and both usernames have been deactivated (the one I used to harass the AGDs about delays, and the one I used to harass that one for harassing the AGDs).
Getting to the point:
What makes Quest for Glory so great?
Is it the humour, the characters, the music, the character building, the cross-game persistence (importing chars), the cultures/backstory/world, atmosphere, art, story, puzzles, combat system, just plan nostalgia?

I guess it's a combination of all these things and more, but if you had to narrow it down to the one thing that distinguishes it as the most awesome series of all time (or the fourth most awesome, or whatever you think it is) what would that one be, and why is it so great?

You can write an essay on this if you want, to keep you off the AGDs' backs. Maybe for extra credit similarly discuss what makes the remakes so awesome.

Just to make absolutely sure, that bit about multiple accounts was a joke, so no flaming please. ;)

haradan
Knight Status

#2 Post by haradan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:18 pm

As you say, it's obviously a combination of all that stuff. But in my case, the thing I find the most attractive is replayability.

Any adventure game is pretty straightforward, once you finish it you know exactly what to do to solve all the puzzles. The diference with QFG is that, being a mix of adventure and RPG, it doesn't matter if you know how to solve the whole game, you still need to work hard to raise your skills, and you can die in the hands of a monster anytime. The monsters are always random, so it always feels like a different game, thus you can replay it for years without getting bored.

So that's what I think it makes QFG the best series Of course, that alone wouldn't be enough if the story or the characters were terrible, so obviously everything counts.

adeyke

#3 Post by adeyke » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:53 pm

When discussing replayability, don't forget the different character classes, with different puzzle solutions and, in some cases, different subplots.

I can't really say they're infinitely replayable, though.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#4 Post by Vroomfondel » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:12 pm

Gad no! If you made your character a hybrid, and took hybrid to the extreme, you could get almost everything on one play through!

haradan
Knight Status

#5 Post by haradan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:12 pm

You know, "infinitely" and "for years" are very different things. I don't think any game can be played for ever without exhausting itself at some point, anyway. I was just comparing QFG with the rest of adventure games.

Of course, the different classes also help replayability.

Funny enough, I've played QFG for more than 15 years now, and I never play with hybrids. I don't know exactly why, I don't like it. Maybe it kills some of the replayability?  ;)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#6 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:34 pm

TV wrote:Can you see why kids love Quest For Glory?

"It's Shaped like a diamond?"

Catch this knuckleball There's loads of cinnamon swirls on each bite

Quest For Glory Crunch THE TASTE YOU CAN SEE!
my sincerest apologies for that one, I personally think the game was successful because of the innovation and the bending of the fairy tale world. Sure their was pixies and Hydras but they weren't the kind you see everywhere and at the same time they never pushed the envolope to far A la QFG4.5, or atleast that's what I think.

rANd0mtHIEf
Peasant Status

#7 Post by rANd0mtHIEf » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:19 pm

Interesting... the main reason for most of you seems to be variability in the gameplay, although I guess QfGFan is talking more about the world. And the cinnamon.
For me it was mostly the characters/humour and world/background, with a bit of the gameplay in terms of maxing out characters and whatnot.

If you think that Quest For Glory's awesomeness is in its gameplay, rather than narrative-related stuff, would you say that it exceeds modern games in that respect?
I'd always felt that what modern games had lost was the more literary side of things.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#8 Post by Kurdt » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:51 pm

I always thought it was the interesting blend of adventure and RPG. It managed to perfectly distill both genres, having tricky puzzles while requiring skills at combat to overcome others. Aside from that, the world it created as well as the characters you encountered (alongside absolutely crazy references to a myriad of cultural figures like the Marx Brothers, Humphery Bogart, and Sanford & Son) just completed a tapestry of an amazingly complete gaming experience. You really can't find anything like it anywhere else.

RoBBiE
Peasant Status

#9 Post by RoBBiE » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:15 pm

I liked the settings alot, along with the genre (adventure/rpg combo) and the dialogues and humour throughout the series. Also the easter-eggs like the dinosaur in qfg1, and laurel & hardy and the aardvark in qfg3 were very funny.

Adventure_Knight
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Adventure_Knight » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:15 pm

Quest for Glory is great because I think that Adventure games are too Adventurish and RPGs are too roleplayerish

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#11 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:29 am

I saw Casablanca for the first time not to long ago and I laughed outloud when Ferrari and Ugarte were introduced. I didn't want to tell my friends what I found funny about the satire though.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#12 Post by jpnuar1 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:03 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:I saw Casablanca for the first time not to long ago and I laughed outloud when Ferrari and Ugarte were introduced. I didn't want to tell my friends what I found funny about the satire though.
Heh. Every time I hear the one dude mourn Yorick in the one Shakespear play (not a huge fan of "Ye Olde" languages, even if it used to be all the rage way back when), I get a smile on my face. The first time I saw it, I nearly did laugh out loud.

But still, the reason I liked it so much was best summed up by Adventure_Knight a couple posts ago. I like adventure games, but they're generally too linear, and after one play-throgh there's usually not much else to do. I like RPGs, but the (neccecary) level grinding is generally just a little too monotonous, especially at the higher levels late-game. Quest for Glory was a pleasant mix of the two genres, and everything else about the game is why that hybrid formula does so well.

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

Jontas returns from a non-abyss related dormancy

#13 Post by Jontas » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:44 pm

Hey everybody, what made QFG so great for me was the adventurous spirit of the game, the ambiguity of the hero, the ability to choose his identity and destiny. It was a true adventure, and seemingly nothing was predetermined.

In Kings Quest for example, you have a name, identity and destiny. You're a knight named Graham on a noble quest to become king of Daventry. In quest for glory you choose the name, the class, the identity, the future. It's all about the adventure and possibilities.

There's so much more then just that, like many have said it's a combination of everything. I just love this series, and appreciate the part it played in my childhood and continues to play in my adulthood.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#14 Post by Fribbi » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:15 am

Because it was made from Sierra On-Line.  :) And of course it helped me a lot to learn more on English language especially the good old classic parsers games.  I gained so many good practice in English when I had to typewrite for each command for the game. And those adventure games had so many great stories to tell. I really loved those classic adventures when I was younger and I always got exited when I saw a brand new game made from that company. Now are that time gone.  :cry

But I am so glad Broken Sword 4 is getting released now. :D

If I spelled something here wrong let me know about it. :o

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:37 am

The fact that I am not on fire.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#16 Post by Gronagor » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:31 am

'Dark' humor as they say. They've managed to make the adventure world funny without making you (the main character) look like a complete moron and accidental hero. Mixed with (not fairy tales) mythological events/beasts.

johnb4467
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by johnb4467 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:48 am

Gronagor wrote:'Dark' humor as they say. They've managed to make the adventure world funny without making you (the main character) look like a complete moron and accidental hero. Mixed with (not fairy tales) mythological events/beasts.
Yeah, I guess you could call it 'dark humor' ... I just explain it as a game that didn't take itself SO seriously (except maybe 5). My example would be comparing it to Oblivion. Maybe not the best comparison, but you can get my meaning: Oblivion was an AMAZING play though, but it really, really takes itself seriously. You're 'living the life'. You do that in QFG in a sense as well (ambiguity of the main char, etc)...but it, in a sense, 'takes itself lightly'. Not sure if that's a good explanation, but that's as close as I can get.