I'd like to know about release at least a week in advance...

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#51 Post by Erpy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:26 am

What stats are you failing to increase rapidly enough in QFG3?

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#52 Post by Kurdt » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:14 pm

Just all of them across the board. Communication, Honor, and Paladin points are all easy to juice, but it's taking a while to build strength and agility. I think it might have something to do with the lack of stamina pills. I used to down one of those and be back in the game immediately, so I could get more workouts in the day. However, now that there's no such thing as a stamina pill I have to rest for about 2 hours to get my stamina back, which severely eats the day.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

There is no Parry

#53 Post by Brainiac » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:13 pm

Bigfan wrote:I'd say that Parry is far too important a skill (especially in 5 and, to a lesser extent, 4).
Ah, but in QfG5, Parry and Dodge merged into one skill, Defense.  I think only having one of the two maxed out was sufficient to max out Defense.

As for other skills, Throwing is useful but Climbing can be learned in QfG4 in-game.  If you have any Thief skills, though, BOOST THEM.  QfG3 is notorious for not juicing Pick Locks and Luck (Stealth is difficult too, I think).  Other than that, you just have to work hard to gain.  Stamina pills are indeed a must.

Course, you could always resort to a hex editor (cheater)... :p BTW, speaking of passing the 250 mark, did you enter QfG3 with two skills already at 250?  The djinni of the ring can break the stat cap; combine a 250 skill with the initial pool of 50, and you have one perfect skill from the start, completely legitimately.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#54 Post by Erpy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:29 pm

Just all of them across the board. Communication, Honor, and Paladin points are all easy to juice, but it's taking a while to build strength and agility. I think it might have something to do with the lack of stamina pills. I used to down one of those and be back in the game immediately, so I could get more workouts in the day. However, now that there's no such thing as a stamina pill I have to rest for about 2 hours to get my stamina back, which severely eats the day.
Strength and agility are fairly easy to raise in the bridge area of the simbani village. Clicking the hand icon on the middle part of the bridge trains strength and clicking the hand icon on the ropes makes you climb the bridge. (make sure to set difficulty to normal or hard so you can do moves on the bridge instead of merely walking across) I believe strength can also be trained by throwing rocks in the savannah. (which also ups your throwing stat) You should do so near the pool of peace, so when you get tired, you can take a drink there. Make sure to get an ample amount of waterskins from the leather merchant in Tarna, which you can fill with pool of peace water. (which acts as a free vigor potion)

Intelligence can be increased by playing awari with Yesufu (before the leopard lady shows up), but if you have magic, you might as well increase it (and your magic skill) by casting spells. Best spot is near the Mother of the World tree. Once your mana points run out, visit the garden at the top for an instant refill, rinse and repeat. Climbing all the way to the top of the tree is a nuisance, but the speed slider proves to be a good friend.

Bigfan
Peasant Status

#55 Post by Bigfan » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:14 pm

Been a while since I've played.  Stupid senior year is taking up all my QFG-replaying time.  ;-)

Is it true that just having a max of either Parry or Dodge makes Defense maxed?  I wonder how they came up with THAT formula.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#56 Post by gamecreator » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:41 pm

Erpy wrote:Strength and agility are fairly easy to raise in the bridge area of the simbani village. Clicking the hand icon on the middle part of the bridge trains strength and clicking the hand icon on the ropes makes you climb the bridge. (make sure to set difficulty to normal or hard so you can do moves on the bridge instead of merely walking across) I believe strength can also be trained by throwing rocks in the savannah. (which also ups your throwing stat) You should do so near the pool of peace, so when you get tired, you can take a drink there. Make sure to get an ample amount of waterskins from the leather merchant in Tarna, which you can fill with pool of peace water. (which acts as a free vigor potion)

Intelligence can be increased by playing awari with Yesufu (before the leopard lady shows up), but if you have magic, you might as well increase it (and your magic skill) by casting spells. Best spot is near the Mother of the World tree. Once your mana points run out, visit the garden at the top for an instant refill, rinse and repeat. Climbing all the way to the top of the tree is a nuisance, but the speed slider proves to be a good friend.
Whoa.  I would have never thought of all that (though I'm sure it's in a walkthrough somewhere).  Cool.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#57 Post by Erpy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:14 pm

It's mostly experience. Comparing ways to increase stats is one of things fans can talk about after the puzzles have already been discussed to death.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#58 Post by Kurdt » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:08 am

Yeah, I still remember those discussions on the old boards. Erpy knows what I'm talking about. ;)

I just discovered today (right after I posted that, in fact) that the Pool of Peace was a vigor potion. I had no clue. I used to be really annoyed at Lori and Corey for suddenly dropping an important part of my tactical formulas. Now I'm singing their praises for an inventive way to boost stamina and for not taking away my tactical advantage after all. That's really making it a lot easier to level up.

I know that you've got to use the bridge and the spear-throwing area to juice stats, but the problem was that it was taking so long because I didn't have any stamina pills to take. Still, though, it is slow going. By the time I'm completely worn out throwing spears, I've only gone up about 5-10 points. That's kind of annoying. I'm doing one thing at a time. Once my Throwing's where I want it to be, I move forward to the bridge.

I didn't know about the Heart of the World being a Mana potion. Either way, I don't have much use for Magic now that I'm Paladinized. I tried to put my shield in the storage trunks but the game won't let me. I do get into cool distance magic battles with Leopardmen in the jungle, though.

I think once I'm done taking this guy through all 5 games I'm going to go back and take him through 3, 4, and 5 as a Wizard. I got the Djinni of the Ring to juice Intelligence and Magic to 245 at the end of QFG2, so it's all good. I'm shooting for every stat being 300 by the end of the game, but 250 is my minimum for happiness.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#59 Post by Erpy » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:08 pm

I suggest throwing rocks instead of spears. Go to a savannah spot near the pool of peace, grab rocks until you can't carry any more, switch to the item-icon and hold down enter. When you get tired, drink some pool water and repeat.

And yeah, the heart of the world is a mana potion of sorts. Just entering the screen completely refills your hp, sp and mp. Really convenient, if it wasn't for the long walk up and down.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Djinni

#60 Post by Brainiac » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:54 pm

Kurdt wrote:I got the Djinni of the Ring to juice Intelligence and Magic to 245 at the end of QFG2, so it's all good.
Personally, I always have him boost Luck and then another difficult skill in QfG3 (Intelligence for the Fighter/Wizard, Pick Locks for the Thief, and Stealth for my Paladin, who had Magic and Stealth added as a QfG1 Fighter).  Then I add another fifty on import to one of the two, giving me a perfect stat (which is frankly absolutely necessary for Pick Locks to come out with 300 points).  Luck is always a pain to gain, but a fifty-point head start is helpful.

Yeah, I always bought a batch of waterskins for the Pool of Peace.  I didn't realize you weren't aware of that, Kurdt, or I would have told you.  The effects of the Mother screen are nice to use, too.

As to the Paladin getting all the show, it's not an unfair statement.  Thieves got the barest of extra stuff (stealing the important items) and Fighters, as the default class, got no frills.  However, the Wizard did get a bit of focus with the introduction of the Magic Staff and the Shaman Duel in the Leopardmen Village (which is why the Wizard gets more Dispel Potions from Salim than any other class in the game).

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#61 Post by Kurdt » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:48 am

Whoop! I forgot about this thread.

I'm into QFG4 now. It turned out to be a good idea that I didn't boost Parry in QFG3 because they just decided to give me 250 Parry points gratis upon entering Mordavia. Plus I picked up Climbing from the Adventurer's Guild and now I'm all set.