I'd like to know about release at least a week in advance...

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#26 Post by Kurdt » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:32 am

You can reread the logbook after you've signed it (in QFG1VGA at least). You have to leave and come back, though. Either way, that gets you 4 points, so I'm wondering if that's it. I can't remember if I read then signed or signed then read. Maybe I'll fire up one of my later saves and see what happens.

And just to say so, I did sell cheetaur claws and troll's beard and I did get both notes as well as listened in on both conversations. I didn't replace the notes, though. Do you get points for that?

Thepal
Knight Status

#27 Post by Thepal » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:08 am

Nah, you can't replace the notes.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#28 Post by Kurdt » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:26 am

I know you can replace the notes (at least in QFG1VGA). If you click the notes on the stool, there's a message saying that you put them back, but the sprite doesn't reappear.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#29 Post by Kurdt » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:26 am

Sorry for the double-post, but I'm just going to go ahead and semi-hijack this thread.

I've been playing QFG2, and I just now discovered that you can bargain for stuff in this game! I had no idea you could do that!! I've got pills and potions and maps and spells and everything and I still have around 150 dinars to do with as I please!! This rules!!

Also, I discovered that if you exchange your money in increments instead of all at once, you get to keep more of your coins. I had no clue!!! I went from only getting back 123 Dinars to getting 202!!!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#30 Post by Erpy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:13 am

I've been playing QFG2, and I just now discovered that you can bargain for stuff in this game! I had no idea you could do that!! I've got pills and potions and maps and spells and everything and I still have around 150 dinars to do with as I please!! This rules!!
Nevertheless, the word bargain is in the QFG2 manual as one of the words the game understands. Of course, who reads manuals these days? :p Plaza merchants are quick to give you discount, Harik and Keapon are harder to convince and Issur and Dinarzad are pains to deal with.

That said, I'm no fan of the set percentage QFG2 gives you. (if the bargain succeeds, you get a set discount, if it fails, you don't...there's no in-between) QFG2VGA has the more familiar (and realistic) haggling system in place instead.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#31 Post by Gronagor » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:14 pm

Who needs to bargain if you can sell the beard????  :p

Will that bug still be in QfG2VGA? :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#32 Post by Erpy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:17 pm

It used to be. By total accident. Then we got rid of it.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#33 Post by Kurdt » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:48 pm

Well, I mean, I'd seen bargain in the manual a million times before (how dare you insult me for not reading the manual; I read that thing on the can, even when I'm NOT playing QFG, because I want to!! :D ), but it just never registered with me, I guess. I mean, I always bargained for the saurus, but I never thought you could bargain elsewhere. Plus, I live in America, home of the non-negotiable price. It's weird, like I'm seeing this game for the first time all over again. I love it when that happens!

Archeryman
Peasant Status

#34 Post by Archeryman » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:18 pm

lol ya i found out the bargaining thing from the strategy guide i got when i bought the anthology. too bad we cant negotiate prices in america... well u can in hawaii at the international market... o well. thatd sure make xmas shopping easier  :D

Thepal
Knight Status

#35 Post by Thepal » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:44 am

Gronagor wrote:Who needs to bargain if you can sell the beard????  :p
I've still never been able to get that to work. How exactly do you sell the beard continuously?

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#36 Post by Kurdt » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:56 am

I think you just get a lot of it over and over again and give it to him. He's only supposed to accept the beard once.

John
Peasant Status

getting items for free

#37 Post by John » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:38 am

Another thing in the Qfg 2 you might not know about is if type you tell about fire elemental to lamp seller you get the lamp for free. Type tell about earth elemental you can get the pouch for free. And tell about water elemental to the waterskin seller you can get a waterskin free.
Will you still be able to do this in the QFG 2 remake ?

John

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#38 Post by Erpy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:42 am

Yep, that's already in there.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#39 Post by Gronagor » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:27 am

Will there be an appearance of Graham somewhere?

Thepal
Knight Status

#40 Post by Thepal » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:45 pm

Kurdt wrote:I think you just get a lot of it over and over again and give it to him. He's only supposed to accept the beard once.
But I've only ever been able to get the beard once. After that the Dervish doesn't give me more.

Bigfan
Peasant Status

#41 Post by Bigfan » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:01 am

The dervish beard bug was fixed in the re-releases -- it only worked in the original.  Kinda like typing "ken" in Space Quest I, or like Radio Shock becoming Hz. So Good in Space Quest IV.

God, it's nice being able to say things like that in a place where people actually know what I'm talking about.

Thyme in Lost
Peasant Status

#42 Post by Thyme in Lost » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:22 am

Bigfan wrote:God, it's nice being able to say things like that in a place where people actually know what I'm talking about.
lol! My first throught was to make a post asking what you were talking about.

But that would be a bad joke, that isn't worth me lying.  ;)

phillbvi
Peasant Status

#43 Post by phillbvi » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:07 am

I figured out something new (well at least new to me)! I bought a basket from the guy in the plaza! You can't buy one until the earth elemental shows up in the city, but you can't buy one after you put the earth elemental in the sack. So I figure that the basket is supposed to be used with the earth elemental but I can't figure out how to do it...  Anyone know what to do with the basket?

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#44 Post by Vroomfondel » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:26 am

I think I saw it listed in the inventory sheet for the "give item" cheat. Never did figure out how to use it, and I didn't know you could buy it. Weird.

-Vroom

Thyme in Lost
Peasant Status

#45 Post by Thyme in Lost » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:21 am

phillbvi wrote:I figured out something new (well at least new to me)! I bought a basket from the guy in the plaza! You can't buy one until the earth elemental shows up in the city, but you can't buy one after you put the earth elemental in the sack. So I figure that the basket is supposed to be used with the earth elemental but I can't figure out how to do it...  Anyone know what to do with the basket?
I think you can buy the basket, so you can try and put the earth elemental in the basket. If you try, it should say something like you pick the earth up, put it in the basket, and it all leaks out...

It is to give you something to try with the earth elemental that won't work.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#46 Post by Kurdt » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:12 pm

Once again, I'm going to shamelessly hijack this thread.

I'm about to start QFG3 today, and my Wizard was awarded Paladinhood at the end of QFG2 (as I knew he would be). Before I start, though, there's something that puzzles me about this time around that I want to know before I start.

I've been focusing this go-round on stat building a lot. The stats always used to be the annoying stuff in the background that kept me from doing the really cool stuff because I didn't want to bother with them. I'm really working them up hardcore, now, and doing quite well at it surprisingly.

Anyway, to my point: Being originally a Magic User, my character doesn't have the Parry skill. QFG3 has given him 50 points gratis on the Throwing skill, but Parry is still at 0. Now that I'm a Paladin, should I really sink 30 of my 50-point pool into learning Parry at 10 points, or should I go Parry-less and beef up other stats?

Bigfan
Peasant Status

#47 Post by Bigfan » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:51 pm

I'd say that Parry is far too important a skill (especially in 5 and, to a lesser extent, 4).  Sink the points in and train, train, train.

Then again, this is coming from a Fighter-to-Paladin player.  ;-)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#48 Post by Erpy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:10 pm

Anyway, to my point: Being originally a Magic User, my character doesn't have the Parry skill. QFG3 has given him 50 points gratis on the Throwing skill, but Parry is still at 0. Now that I'm a Paladin, should I really sink 30 of my 50-point pool into learning Parry at 10 points, or should I go Parry-less and beef up other stats?
If you're a purist, you probably want to raise your parry skill, yes. Many other fighting skills, such as throwing, agility and strength are really easily raised in QFG3. That said, I don't think it's THAT important. I remember being able to stop projectiles in QFG4 with a dagger and no shield and my parry skill at 0. (your stats aren't nearly as important in QFG4's combat than they were in QFG1) In QFG5, parry and dodge disappear alltogether and merge into defense, which all characters should have.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#49 Post by Gronagor » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:23 pm

Parry and dodge was always my least problematic skill to increase.
I hate the climbing skill!

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#50 Post by Kurdt » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:32 am

Well, I decided to go ahead and leave Parry at 0, so the magic shield kind of hangs loosely to the side during combat. That's okay, though, because I have a big honkin' flaming sword instead.

I've been developing throwing pretty well, and I've already got all the Paladin abilities (only Honor Shield came from giving Harami a lot of meat). QFG3 is a little odd when it comes to stat building, though. I was able to spend a great deal of time and develop all my skills to pretty high levels in QFG2, but it's already day 10 in QFG3 and I've barely progressed stats-wise. My goal is to have all my stats passed the 250 mark, and if I can get them all the way to the 300 mark it would be even better.