Any news?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

punkasaurus
Peasant Status

Any news?

#1 Post by punkasaurus » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:46 pm

Its been a while since we've heard anything since the testing announcement. Is there a firm release date yet?
After roughly 2 years of trolling these fourms im getting pretty anxious.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:56 pm

No, I'm afraid there's currently no clear view on when the beta phase or the eventual release date would take place. Sorry.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#3 Post by Gronagor » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:59 am

If I know Erpy, an anouncement could be any moment! He'd play dumb one second and make anouncement the next. I'd check everyday...

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#4 Post by Fribbi » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:43 pm

So Erpy is still acting like he is dumb now? ok I understand you I will just wait like you when he finally stop that hehehe. Sorry Erpy. Of course you are not real dumb. You have really good voice as Jacob. Your tounge must had dried when you rad that diary in the game. But you are great reader. ;)

My game will never come to this world because I got that same horrible virus again and it destroyed everything. So the only way for me to fix that problem in this time I had to format the hard drive. I still have the older version of the game with those backgrounds. But not the new version with all the new thing I planted in the game. Why is this always happening to me? Me and computer don't belong together. I guess someone over the sky are telling me I should not make any more game.  :cry  :(

My first game was Leisure suit Larry 3 VGA remake. Then The black Sky then was it The wrong game..actually that is the only game I had compleated but many people complained how that game was too short and hopeless. So I have being trying to enlarge the story. I also wanted to work on Leisure suit Larry 9. But no. I am always blowing my works when I works on those games. Why is those unluck still following me?  :\

At least the virus must be gone because my computer don't freeze or bring a message error to me about the Kernel. I can't beleave my hard drive is damaged again. But the repairman installed a new hard disk for a 3 month ago. So it can't be again the hard disk problem again.  :rolleyes

But don't worry folks I am from viking' nation and will never give on this arrr. I said "Never" do you copy that god or whatever you are? :evil

Oh btw. I was on the last chapter in Al Emmo game where I have to answer some five riddle. But there is no clue to be found in this game for the answer so I had to search for the walkthrough. And I have done lot of walkthrough reading so I can find the clue what I should do next. It kept me away from being stuck in this game. But right now I have to play that game again from the beginning. And now I am wondering how many of you is still laughing at me now.  I mean I was playing three game and I was so close to be on final. But just because of mig unluck I have to go through those game again :cry ....ok stop laughing at me it is not funny >: ...ok laugh then. :o
I guess I had laughed too if someone else had said that sad story about himself and how he is the world most unlucky computer programmer and game player hehehehehe. :D ..ok stop now you are infecting me with your laughings now...hahahahahaha :lol  oh shit. It is too late for me to ignore this laugh hahaahahahahahahahahahaha :rollin  :rollin   :rollin .ok hehe  :rollin where is that hahaaha :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  submit button..oh hahaha  :rollin here it is...bye now...viiii!  :p  :lol

Ok sorry I went out of the topic.
But this thread ask for a news right?

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by BrianR » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:18 pm

I've been jamming the f5 key in hopes of an update.....
Will you announce Beta testing since it will be closed?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:53 pm

So Erpy is still acting like he is dumb now? ok I understand you I will just wait like you when he finally stop that hehehe. Sorry Erpy. Of course you are not real dumb.
While I'd probably avoid giving exact dates in public, even if I DID have estimates, I'm not acting dumb right now. It's simply not possible to come up with an accurate guess on when alpha phase will be over.
You have really good voice as Jacob. Your tounge must had dried when you rad that diary in the game. But you are great reader.
Heh, thanks. It's actually pretty much how I sound in real life.
My game will never come to this world because I got that same horrible virus again and it destroyed everything. So the only way for me to fix that problem in this time I had to format the hard drive. I still have the older version of the game with those backgrounds. But not the new version with all the new thing I planted in the game. Why is this always happening to me? Me and computer don't belong together. I guess someone over the sky are telling me I should not make any more game.
Either that or someone in the sky is telling you to make backups.
Will you announce Beta testing since it will be closed?
Yes. "Closed beta testing" doesn't mean no forum visitors can be involved. It simply means we don't throw a beta version of the game out to the public and say: "Here's the game. Let us know about all the bugs you come across." When beta testing starts, we'll announce we're looking for volunteers. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I don't know when that'll be though.

punkasaurus
Peasant Status

#7 Post by punkasaurus » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:09 pm

When your ready I would like to beta test. I found a number of minor weird hard to find bugs in Al Emmo after the release.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#8 Post by Fribbi » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:59 am

Either that or someone in the sky is telling you to make backups.
Actually I had done that but I forgot to place it on DVD disk.
I think I have removed that virus because nothing has happened to me in three days in row. And my computer isn't acting like a slot machine right now. But I had to restart my computer over and over again and again until the hard drive finally came into life. It is just like starting a car. But if my computer wont work. The computer is just dead then.

Katta Master
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Katta Master » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:36 am

Howdy,

Looking forward to this release....but will it be in 2006.

Could AGDI be waiting for Santa on this one. hmmm

Keep up the good work...(Well i suppose you've heard three years of that)

I Know i'm looking forward to meeting a Katta again

:D

+ anyone know what Infamous Adventures, new secret game is called ?

A few words for Fribbi "Firewall, AntiVirus , Spyware removal tool, DVD Burner, some blank discs and use the Save button"

Cheers
KM

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#10 Post by jpnuar1 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:20 am

Erpy wrote:Yes. "Closed beta testing" doesn't mean no forum visitors can be involved. It simply means we don't throw a beta version of the game out to the public and say: "Here's the game. Let us know about all the bugs you come across." When beta testing starts, we'll announce we're looking for volunteers. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I don't know when that'll be though.
So then what would the difference be between an open beta test, and gamma testing? It sounds like they're basically the same thing... Er, speaking of which, may I please be one of the gamma testers? :p

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:52 pm

Katta Master wrote: + anyone know what Infamous Adventures, new secret game is called ?
Yeah, I actually know what Infamou Adventures' new secret game is called.

Bt

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#12 Post by Gronagor » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:43 am

A better question would be: Erpy, can we start building our characters in QfG1?  :p

Katta Master
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Katta Master » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:22 am

Yeah, I actually know what Infamou Adventures' new secret game is called.
I'm sure you do! (IA)

:hat

but are you going to share...

Or will i just wait impatiently until you update your website
(Rhetortical Question)

+ I'll like the Quote from Animals (PF) awesome album!

Anyone else it sniffed out....

A better question would be: Erpy, can we start building our characters in QfG1?  Tongue
That is damn good question.... i'll have to start working on a fighter...although i always prefer playing thief, but this time around
i wanna be a Paladin! (Katta's can't resist a Paladin!) ;)

gamecreator
Knight Status

#14 Post by gamecreator » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:35 pm

So really: any news?

I know there's nothing ground breaking or earth shattering or earth breaking or ground shattering but I liked that bug report story a few months back and wouldn't mind similar.  Or other QfG2 details like... ... if any of the AGDIs have colds ... or something.

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by BrianR » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:54 pm

Yes does anyone have colds?

Also, is there any qualifications you are looking for to help with beta testing?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#16 Post by Erpy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:02 pm

First of all, the difference between "open beta testing" and "gamma testing" is simply the way the team chooses to call the version it releases to the public. When it's called "public beta version", the public feedback is beta testing. If it's called "version 1.0", it's intended as a release version and feedback is called "gamma testing".

I'm afraid I haven't really heard any other news worth mentioning lately. Sorry.

As for beta testers, we're not looking just yet. When the time's right, we'll probably make an announcement.

As for qualifications...the usual qualifications teams generally demand from aspiring testers would apply here as well.

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

Not during Finals!

#17 Post by Jontas » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:02 am

Could you please wait till my finals are over before you release the game, thanks  :rollin . LOL. I don't think they accept AGDI as a valid excuse for not studying at my college. I know!
Anyway I just wanted to be the first fan to ask you to hold back a little instead of hurry up. Okay enough with the jokes, continued wishes of good luck you guys!

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#18 Post by BrianR » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:35 am

Erpy wrote: As for qualifications...the usual qualifications teams generally demand from aspiring testers would apply here as well.
Sorry but I am not sure what that means.  I am not sure what usual qualifications are.

Thanks.  And keep up the good work.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#19 Post by Erpy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:36 am

Well, an avid fan doesn't necessarily equal a good tester. I guess knowledge of QFG2 would be a plus, but even more important is the ability to do repetitive work for an extended period of time, have a long attention span, a good amount of time to spare and the tendency to think outside the box of what is logical during gameplay. Having found a bug in a game is not necessarily something in one's favor if it was simply stumbled upon, but it is a good thing if it was found because the tester went out of his way to replay a particular scene a several dozen times in creative and unusual ways and found out that a crash occurred when fetch was cast on a random NPC or that a glitch was caused by entering combat with 1 hp and 0 sp.

A useful skill is also to always be aware of what actions have been taken prior to a glitch (as opposed to just playing and hoping to run into bugs), so a tester can report the circumstances of a glitch as accurately as possible, which also helps replicating bugs.

It often also helps if the candidate already has an understanding that he or she is not applying because they want to play the game as soon as possible, but because they're willing to sacrifice their own enjoyment of the game (and lots of time that could have been spent enjoying other games) for the common good.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#20 Post by Gronagor » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:25 am

.... and a love for pixel-hunting.  :lol  Clicking everywhere!

gamecreator
Knight Status

#21 Post by gamecreator » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:10 pm

Erpy wrote:It often also helps if the candidate already has an understanding that he or she is not applying because they want to play the game as soon as possible, but because they're willing to sacrifice their own enjoyment of the game (and lots of time that could have been spent enjoying other games) for the common good.
So people who religiously play the Paladin and hate the Thief.  I'm out.  :\

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#22 Post by Erpy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:55 pm

Well, let's put it this way...I had a genuine good time playing KQ2VGA the first two to three times or so. From that point on, it started getting tedious. As the release date came closer and closer and I spent my time doing several "final playthroughs" on several release candidate versions, I wasn't having fun anymore...I was just "doing my duty". And frankly, it took a long time before I was actually able to play the game just for fun again.

If I had set out to play the game, rather than test it, I would have played the game 2 or 3 times and then realized there were more interesting things to do with my free time. Unfortunately, that won't make for very productive testing. Therefore, it's naturally better if there's an understanding up-front that after a few playthoughs, the enjoyment will wear off, tedium will set in and that it'll be dedication to finish the job that keeps the fire burning instead.

rich_eter
Peasant Status

#23 Post by rich_eter » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:00 pm

Yes, I've been a QA engineer for many jobs in the past and let me tell you, it's not fun afterwhile. It's work. I've tested educational software. I've tested DVD movies. Games. The real truth is, the more you would've like using the product upon release the more you'll hate testing it. You'll be asked to replicate bugs. There are often fights between testers and programmers. You'll see the same bug a million times, but the programmer will never see it.  Like Erpy said, it takes true dedication to be a tester and a willingness to sacrifice actually enjoying it.

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#24 Post by BrianR » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:50 pm

When I play a game I always try to do things the non-typical gamer would not try because I know the programmer expects us to do things in certain order.  Like if half life 2, you know you need to do A,B then C to open the door.  Instead, I will try to do C then go back to A and B because I am the kinda guy who will spend hours staking up boxes to jump over the gate.  Or in role playing games I will try to trigger things that have already been triggerd to see if programmer did his job right.  I've played games just to find bugs...So maybe I could be useful.

haradan
Knight Status

#25 Post by haradan » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:06 am

Well, maybe you could, but they are not taking applications right now. Don't worry, when they do, you'll be able to explain your qualifications and motivations, so everybody will have a chance. ;)