QFG 2 Remake: Wide-screen aware?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

mjovis
Peasant Status

QFG 2 Remake: Wide-screen aware?

#1 Post by mjovis » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:44 pm

I don't know if this topic has been addressed yet by the dev team, so I wanted to bring it up.

Will the QFG2 remake scale gracefully on a wide-screen monitor when played at full screen? I think this is an important point to focus on in regards to game play and visual quality, particularly when so many people are getting laptops and desktops which are moving away from the standard 4:3 display. Even smaller, cheaper laptops and desktops are moving towards native wide screen displays.

Do you want the work you've spent literally years on to look stretched out and odd or exactly as you intended?

rich_eter
Peasant Status

#2 Post by rich_eter » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:07 pm

My monitor is widescreen and it tends to play AGS games just fine without distortion.

Shade
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Shade » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:49 am

Isn't there a way to change settings on your computer to keep things from getting stretched?  I don't know how, I'm too low tech, but perhaps someone else does.

Thepal
Knight Status

#4 Post by Thepal » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:55 am

How full-screen things are played is usually dependant on your video card settings, not the actual program.

If you have a NVIDIA card, you might be able to follow these steps:

- Go to Display in the Control Panel (in Start Menu)
- Go to the Settings tab and click Advanced, then select the tab that says the NVIDIA card
- In that I have a Device Settings button, which brings up a menu and I can select Device Adjustments in it to bring up a new window. This window lets me select how to show full-screen programs.

If your settings are different and you can't follow those steps, then just look around in your own display settings. You should be able to find something that does it.

rANd0mtHIEf
Peasant Status

#5 Post by rANd0mtHIEf » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:57 am

You have to have widescreen support.
People have been flipping out at DICE for not putting widescreen support on the game I was working on. Come on, AGDI's better than that =P

augie1111
Peasant Status

#6 Post by augie1111 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:07 pm

Thepal wrote:How full-screen things are played is usually dependant on your video card settings, not the actual program.

If you have a NVIDIA card, you might be able to follow these steps:

- Go to Display in the Control Panel (in Start Menu)
- Go to the Settings tab and click Advanced, then select the tab that says the NVIDIA card
- In that I have a Device Settings button, which brings up a menu and I can select Device Adjustments in it to bring up a new window. This window lets me select how to show full-screen programs.

If your settings are different and you can't follow those steps, then just look around in your own display settings. You should be able to find something that does it.
Good thread. I recently bought a 19" widescreen and a 7600GT but can't can't get KQII going. Whenever I try it just gives me a black screen and exited. I then reduced the res to 800x600 (yech) and saw the first typed screen, I believe it was the in memoriam that I can't tell what  page it is, but it flashed by so quickly and the game has to be canceled through task manager. I also now have seven ffdshow icons in my taskbar which I can't access to get rid of them. Oh well, I'm putting my old rig into service again for folding so that will be my rig for playing these. Now I have to reboot to see if I can get rid of those icons.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#7 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:13 pm

Unfortunately, wide screen support is something that would have to be built into the engine. We don't have any control over that. If Chris Jones adds in wide screen support into the engine before QFG2VGA is released, then it will have wide screen support. If he doesn't, it won't.

That said, you should still be able to get the game to run by playing with the configuration. Try running it in a window instead of full screen. You can also try running it at 640x400. This will enlarge the window, though it still won't be at full screen. Playing around with these options usually will yield something that works.

augie1111
Peasant Status

#8 Post by augie1111 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:20 pm

DOH! lol, how did I miss that?! Thanks naveynuke04, playing in a window did the trick along with 640x400 and changing the screen res to 800x600. All I have to do now is find a black screensaver to  eliminate the distractions on the rest of the screen. Great! :)

rANd0mtHIEf
Peasant Status

#9 Post by rANd0mtHIEf » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:08 am

You know, Navy, that's just what our community manager said.
Lies, all lies!
:lol