Kings Quest 4

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Sal
Peasant Status

Kings Quest 4

#1 Post by Sal » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:27 am

:D
Had so much fun playing the remakes of KQ123 that I downloaded KQ4 (original) on to my hard drive then onto a CD and then onto 3 floppies and installed them onto my old computer which has Windows 3.1 on it. Had to try to remember back to DOS days. I am now playing KQ4 and it is great. A bit of a challenge going back to typing commands. Hope to do the same with KQ567.. I have "Betrayal at Krondor" on this computer as well..This plays excellently......Sal

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#2 Post by Klytos » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:06 pm

So many thoughts in a single paragraph there!  :lol

It's awesome you're enjoying these games again. Now with only one game in the series that requires typing.

Betrayal at Krondor is the greatest RPG ever made. I am biased as a Raymond Feist fan though.

Ekinatial
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Ekinatial » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:55 pm

I only got into king's quest after I was drawn here by the remake of qfg2. I played the remakes 1 and 2 and 3 from IA and loved it. I found a king's quest collection series that like, just recently came out or something, made for windows xp users (just a little side note for other people there). So I loved up through 6, but I started to play 7 and was scared away by its incredibly child-like gameplay. I tried twice, but just couldn't do it. Has anyone played it and, like, thinks it's worth playing even though it's so baby-catered? I felt like I was playing math blaster or something.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#4 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:16 pm

ya but math blaster OWNS!

Sinister
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Sinister » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:19 pm

kq7 is an interesting game, you'll certainly want to play if you want to experience the last of the King's Quest series. (I dont include MOE because i dont think it fits in with series).

The game is childish and the interface is a big letdown but it's still a good game to play.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#6 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:32 pm

5 is the highlight. 7 is more the denouement.

Klytos

#7 Post by Klytos » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:10 am

7 is a great game. I think the Disney style suits a series based around fairy tales. Others will disagree though.

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by DonQuixote » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:00 am

I personally always enjoyed KQ6 the most, but KQ5 really was a milestone and is a classic.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#9 Post by gamecreator » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:52 pm

This is a good thing.  I have a hard time picking between KQ5 and KQ6.  Cedric aside, there was little wrong with each.  Nowadays I prefer more serious/darker games but I have fond memories of both.

Sal
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Sal » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:18 am

:D

Klytyos I agree with you that B.A.K is the greatest. I had my old computer especially set up so that I could play it again and again and again and again and again ..............................................I never get tired of it and seem to discover something new each time I play. Pity the follow ups were not up to the same standard. The XP version KQ's would not play properly on my computer which is why I went back to basics..Sal

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#11 Post by Kurdt » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:28 am

I DEMAND a sequal to Betrayal in Antara. That game was equally brilliant. Y'know, I think I'm just going to go play that game again...

Klytos

#12 Post by Klytos » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:27 am

Dude, if you can get Antara to work on a modern system let me know how! You know where to find me.  :lol

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#13 Post by Kurdt » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:11 am

I'll keep you posted. I'm not sure if I've tried it on this computer yet as I haven't played Antara at least since high school, but I do remember it working when I had WindowsME I think (which who the hell cares about that as a great deal that worked in weirdo ME doesn't do @#$% in XP).

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#14 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:35 am

Klytos, any old game will work when you use VMWare to install Win 3.1 and install the game in its native DOS enviroment.

Klytos

#15 Post by Klytos » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:30 am

Sure, Virtual Machine's are awesome but a shitload of work for simply getting an old game to work. I was looking for a slightly easier solution than setting up a new operating system.

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by DonQuixote » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:07 am

Betrayal at Antara works with VDMSoun, at least that works on my system (XP).  BAK was the best, there were so many different ways to play it, the world map was huge for it's time, the replay value is great, and the story-line was great.  I don't know why people like Antara though, I always try giving it another go every so often but I get bored with it and put it away for awhile each time.  Return to Krondor was pretty good though, I think it made a good attempt at trying to go back to what made the first game so great.

Sal
Peasant Status

#17 Post by Sal » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:29 pm

:p
    Ahhh, don't know anything about VM ware etc.. At one time we had windows 3.1 on a set of floppies but stupidly gave them away. What I did about 18 months ago was to go to my friendly computer freak in Launceston Tas (Eagle Technologies) and they installed it for me just so I could revisit the old game scene...Didn't cost a lot and its worth it for the pleasure I get out of playing stuff like BAK.  Sal

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#18 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:46 pm

True, but at least when you have the VM set up its there for any and all old games you may wish to play.

And its as easy as installing Win 3.1 ;)

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#19 Post by Gronagor » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:47 am

Sal, do you still have a floppy drive??

I threw away about 1500 floppies a few months ago when I suddenly realized I haven't had a floppy-drive for almost 10 years! So why keep them around?  :p

Obviously I lost quite a few games, but that's life.  ;)

Sal
Peasant Status

#20 Post by Sal » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:21 am

:)
Hi Gronagor, We do have floppy drive on the main computer "Beyond intel inside pentium 4) XP We have DVD drive plus burner etc etc etc. The older model computer has a floppy drive and a DVD but the DVD will not operate because we have windows 3.1 installed (56xMTRP)

Yes we got rid of a huge number of floppies too. Some I was glad to see go but others...too late now to moan about it.

Being somewhat of a hoarder and collector, however I still have some which I will never part with....Sal

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#21 Post by Gronagor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:06 am

I've had most of my floppy-games backed-up on a few CDs, but they've mysteriously dissapeared.  Ahh... those were the days. Floppies were just 10 times more reliable than Stiffies. But even those are fading away.

Hey... no jokes about 'floppies and stiffies'. I think we've heard them all.  :p

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#22 Post by Music Head » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:35 am

We used to gave a huge draw full of floppies so we backed up everthing into zip files on a cd, including all my old games and a few older programs so we ditched all the disks out. Unfortunatly I leant the cd to a mate and never saw it again. Ever since i've been trying to track down all the games and programs and such i lost. Thank god for the internet.

Our comp still has a floppy drive, tho we had to buy it seperatly when we bought the comp. Only got rid of the discs for the free up the space in the draw.

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

#23 Post by Jontas » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:42 pm

Gronagor wrote:... Ahh... those were the days. Floppies were just 10 times more reliable than Stiffies...  :p
I discovered that in America they don't make the distinction between floppies and stiffies like we did in South Africa, both size disks are called floppy disks. You can imagine my embarresment when I first used these terms around Americans when I moved here 9 years ago. LOL. I don't know how it goes in other countries, should be interesting though.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#24 Post by Kurdt » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:19 am

Heh, when I was younger I called the 3.5's hard disks. My friend's dad (who worked for HP) would always try and correct me and tell me it was a floppy, but I just kept saying, "but it's not floppy, it's hard! The floppy ones are big!"

Man, there's just no way to get around sounding homo-erotic with this topic.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#25 Post by Gronagor » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:37 am

Jontas, you may be right. Ok... clarify: bigger ones, more 'floppy' ones we call floppies and the smaller 3.5'' ones we call stiffies.  :lol