Progress Update Thread (formerly known as quest for glory 2)

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#451 Post by Erpy » Sat May 31, 2008 7:21 am

We were, but we got too busy playing King's Quest4Ever and before we knew it, 4 years had passed.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Heh-heh-heh

#452 Post by Brainiac » Sat May 31, 2008 2:44 pm

ThreeHeadedMonkey wrote:Aren't they still aiming for a 2004 release?
Erpy wrote:We were, but we got too busy playing King's Quest4Ever and before we knew it, 4 years had passed.
<snort> Nice, Erpy.  He's right though; it's kinda hard to aim for 2004 now, THM.

gizzywiz
Peasant Status

#453 Post by gizzywiz » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:24 pm

So the curent status is fixing bugs and waiting for word from Vivindi.  Did I miss anything?  Also can you give a rough estimate of time needed to finish and distribute the product (I of course will not hold you to this estimate ;))?  

I wish to update GameFAQs users on your progress so any info will be great :D!

adeyke

#454 Post by adeyke » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:34 pm

There aren't going to be any estimates.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#455 Post by Erpy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:34 pm

Yes, that's still the current status. A lot of bugs have been fixed last week. (probably about 100 of them in total) I noticed that at this point, the bugs remaining to be fixed in the current bug list concentrated on about 3 areas.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#456 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:50 pm

What 3 areas?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#457 Post by Erpy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:14 pm

There's several issues with Shameen's sprite in the inn not always animating/stopping animating at the exact times he's supposed to.

There's a few issues with tossing daggers at monsters in the desert.

There's a couple of issues with throwing daggers at jackalmen in battle.

Aside from that, there may be other parts that require bugfixing as playthroughs continue.

gizzywiz
Peasant Status

#458 Post by gizzywiz » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:17 pm

Thanks for the update!

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#459 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:16 am

Excellent!  And while you're wasting all your time on King's Quest4Ever, I've finally finished downloading The Colonel's Bequest VGA off of KaZaa.  Boy, is it everything it claimed to be.

Bt

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#460 Post by Gronagor » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:09 am

Wow! What a download!!
That must be the biggest game in the history of gaming! He should have called it CB4Ever as well!

RogerWanko
Royal Servant Status

#461 Post by RogerWanko » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:48 am

Erpy wrote:... A lot of bugs have been fixed last week. (probably about 100 of them in total)...
wow , i'm getting my hopes up....goed werk!

sjyeager
Peasant Status

Re: Hi

#462 Post by sjyeager » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:10 pm

Shalkar wrote:Is the game coming out this year or not? sjyeager: Sorry to say but I feel a lil confused. Please tell me you were joking when you said it may come out next year :(

If the game doesn't make it this year I guess I am gonna have to crawl into a dark closet and cry myself to sleep for a few hours ouch!  :\
I'm glad that 100 bugs where fixed but how long dose one bug take to be fixed?.

I was just thinking that since there where allot of bugs left that it would take another year to fix and be aloud to be downloaded.
To bad there wasn't a bug fixer program  :lol

Do new bugs pop up when you fix another one?
Is there any hope for it to be done this year?
or will it be done next year?
Did you make the game from scrap or did you take files from the old QFG2?
is there anything added to the game that wasn't in the old qfg2?
(like secret rooms, new spells, conversation, and more...

Solarkid
Knight Status

Jodo Cast

#463 Post by Solarkid » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:03 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote:I've finally finished downloading The Colonel's Bequest VGA off of KaZaa.  Boy, is it everything it claimed to be.

Bt
Hahaha, the spirit of Jodo Cast remains I see, man that was a long time ago
I completely forgot about him, where ever did he go to?, did he just disappear after being ripped to shreds over and over by his 'fans' here on the AGDI forums?

Dave

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#464 Post by Erpy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:51 am

I'm glad that 100 bugs where fixed but how long dose one bug take to be fixed?.
Some take a few seconds, some take hours or even more than a day.
I was just thinking that since there where allot of bugs left that it would take another year to fix and be aloud to be downloaded.
I really hope not.
Do new bugs pop up when you fix another one?
Yes, sometimes they do. Or we would have finished it already.
Is there any hope for it to be done this year?
or will it be done next year?
Are you asking for a release estimation? 'cause we mentioned we won't be giving one, I'm afraid.

You know, the game might have been out already (VU's permission notwithstanding) if we weren't so darn perfectionistic about it. Stuff like not getting back every single dagger you toss at a creature, a splash appearing in the sand if you toss a rock in the water at the very edge of the oasis or Shameen sometimes not getting his paw-licking animation right is probably not something a lot of people notice and even less people would be actively bothered by it, but we think it's a genuine reason to hold off the release for a little while longer. On the other hand, it diminishes the odds of us having to release a patch after going through an unvoluntary round of "gamma testing".
Did you make the game from scrap or did you take files from the old QFG2?
From scrap?  :lol  I think you mean from scratch, my dear sir. And yeah, it was built from the ground up. QFG2EGA was written in a language that can't be directly used in AGS and the game was compiled too.
is there anything added to the game that wasn't in the old qfg2?
(like secret rooms, new spells, conversation, and more...
There's a few tiny extras that weren't there in the original, but nothing plot-related.
I completely forgot about him, where ever did he go to?, did he just disappear after being ripped to shreds over and over by his 'fans' here on the AGDI forums?
No, he tried to put on the same show on several other message boards. At some point, he simply disappeared. No screenshot, demo or anything ever came out of it though. The dude probably just loved the attention.

rado907
Peasant Status

#465 Post by rado907 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:05 am

Good luck, guys!

gamecreator
Knight Status

#466 Post by gamecreator » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:37 pm

Erpy wrote:You know, the game might have been out already (VU's permission notwithstanding) if we weren't so darn perfectionistic about it. Stuff like not getting back every single dagger you toss at a creature, a splash appearing in the sand if you toss a rock in the water at the very edge of the oasis or Shameen sometimes not getting his paw-licking animation right is probably not something a lot of people notice and even less people would be actively bothered by it, but we think it's a genuine reason to hold off the release for a little while longer.
It's probably just me but I think this is severely underestimated.  The "little extras" aren't often noticed outright but I think subconsciously they are and you enjoy the game that much more as a result.  A more extreme example of this is an adventure game where a character is walking along the beach.  The ocean and waves can be static and look great and the game can still be fully enjoyable but some animation goes a long way.  Little things like wind blowing leaves, bending branches, the splash you mentioned, etc.  They provide more than people give it credit for, I think.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#467 Post by Kloreep » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:45 am

I agree. And I think it applies doubly so to bugs... finding out that I've been cheated or trapped by a bug really breaks the experience for me. Thank you, AGDI, for spending all this time making sure the game is released in top form. :)

AusME
Peasant Status

Another question (yes another)

#468 Post by AusME » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:33 pm

It would seem to me that the General Forum is full of Quest for Glory 2 questions. Might it seem prudent to create a Quest for Glory 2 sub forum instead of cluttering the General Forum?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#469 Post by Erpy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:26 pm

We'll be opening a forum for the game the moment it's released, but not sooner.

sjyeager
Peasant Status

#470 Post by sjyeager » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:22 pm

|I Just got back from a long and tiring vocation :( i was hoping some thing good happened but the game even haven't got permission yet :( this is truly going to take next year

I think I'm going to take a 3 month vocation from the forums :P may be something good then would have been posted ..... or not :rollin

Just watch them say no or some bug destroy everything or they could end up
having a virus destroy all there hard work... or something else like it take another 2-3 years :rollin

:rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin  :rollin

Thanks for answering my question :)

Allergic to Katta
Peasant Status

#471 Post by Allergic to Katta » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:00 pm

Usually it takes more than a week to make major progress on a game.  I think your 3 month idea sounds like a better idea.
:rollin

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#472 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:32 pm

Look, if you guys don't release the game THIS week, I'm not only leaving here forever, I'm going to release my super, super awesome own version of Quest For Glory 2: Trial by Fire.... except now it'll be called Trial by NUCLEAR FIRE because it'll be so awesome, in 3D and you'll be able to find it on Kazaa!

Bt

Xyloc
Peasant Status

#473 Post by Xyloc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:07 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote:.... except now it'll be called Trial by NUCLEAR FIRE because it'll be so awesome, in 3D and you'll be able to find it on Kazaa!
Bt
Ah, you mean the one AKA Quest for Virii II: So you want to screw up your PC?
Where 3D stands for "Three times the deception", "Three times the destruction" and "Three times the Desillusion".
Yes, that one is really easy to come by through Kazaa.
:p

^Mo^
Peasant Status

#474 Post by ^Mo^ » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:47 am

Blackthorne519 wrote:Look, if you guys don't release the game THIS week, I'm not only leaving here forever, I'm going to release my super, super awesome own version of Quest For Glory 2: Trial by Fire.... except now it'll be called Trial by NUCLEAR FIRE because it'll be so awesome, in 3D and you'll be able to find it on Kazaa!

Bt
Darn it! And I was so much hoping for Colonel's Bequest instead :cry

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#475 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:46 pm

^Mo^ wrote:
Blackthorne519 wrote:Look, if you guys don't release the game THIS week, I'm not only leaving here forever, I'm going to release my super, super awesome own version of Quest For Glory 2: Trial by Fire.... except now it'll be called Trial by NUCLEAR FIRE because it'll be so awesome, in 3D and you'll be able to find it on Kazaa!

Bt
Darn it! And I was so much hoping for Colonel's Bequest instead :cry
Well, I suppose I could always make The Colonels Trial By Fire.  Or Perhaps Hero's Bequest II...

Hahah.  Well, I suppose we're getting real close to playing a VGA version of QFGII.  I'm excited.  I remember seeing the little "preview" in King's Quest II+ almost five years ago.  Can't wait for the new game.

Bt