Progress Update Thread (formerly known as quest for glory 2)

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#101 Post by Erpy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:42 pm

5 had Boom, Dragonfire and to some degree Whirlwind.

Force bolt has always been able to do damage, btw, but its damage was always lower than flame dart while the spell itself was more costly.

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#102 Post by BrianR » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:31 pm

I know you can not tell us when it will be done.  But is it possible it will be a Christmas present?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#103 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:24 pm

No, it definitely won't be finished and released that quickly. Vivendi also have to review the game and give it the green light before we can make it available for download.

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#104 Post by MacGyver » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:25 pm

Hmmm this is interesting. I hope the agreement is not that you're giving out full ownership to Vivendi before you are allowed to release the game.

Almagnus1
Peasant Status

#105 Post by Almagnus1 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:46 pm

I would imagine that Vivendi wants to ensure that software that carries the name of one of their games is high quality, which is why they want to review it.  There might be more to this than their telling us, but I would doubt it

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#106 Post by Erpy » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:42 am

MacGyver wrote:Hmmm this is interesting. I hope the agreement is not that you're giving out full ownership to Vivendi before you are allowed to release the game.
They want to make sure none of the game content or quality would harm the goodwill associated with the series. That's why. But since they checked KQ1VGA and KQ2VGA a post-release check and didn't demand the games to be changed, I'm not expecting the tests to be very severe.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#107 Post by Lambonius » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:44 am

Erpy wrote:But since they checked KQ1VGA and KQ2VGA a post-release check and didn't demand the games to be changed, I'm not expecting the tests to be very severe.
Hopefully though, a pre-release check this time around won't translate into "development limbo."  I think that's what people fear most.  Everyone trusts AGDI to get it done; it's when Vivendi's own code of business ethics comes into play that people start sweating and crossing their fingers.  ;)

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#108 Post by Paladinlover » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:06 am

They want to make sure none of the game content or quality would harm the goodwill associated with the series. That's why. But since they checked KQ1VGA and KQ2VGA a post-release check and didn't demand the games to be changed, I'm not expecting the tests to be very severe.
Well if they checked KQ and KQ2 and gave you guys the green light, then there's not much to worry about... I mean you guys fleshed out KQ 2 so much that the original game looked like... well, something overtly simplistic compared to it. No need for something witty or flashy to describe that. ;)

Till next time stay cool  :smokin

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

#109 Post by Billetwound » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:40 am

lol its probably they want to play it as much as anyone else and they just want to be the 1st to get their hands on it LOL.

BrianR
Royal Servant Status

#110 Post by BrianR » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:41 pm

How long did they take to review it last time?  If I may ask.

antonyo
Royal Servant Status

#111 Post by antonyo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:36 pm

I hope they don't find the you-know-what in the you-know-where with this gizmo you buy in you-know-which-store.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#112 Post by Kurdt » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:57 pm

Vivendi didn't pre-screen the last two games. They reviewed them after they'd already been out for a long while, when AGDI signed the contract essentially giving Vivendi ownership of those games. Since QFG2 wasn't done when the contract was signed, it and any other remake they have brewing for the future is subject to Vivendi scrutiny before it can be allowed to be released. That way, the game isn't released and it's discovered down the line that, say, AGDI put in a puzzle with a code you have to enter and the code says "Vivendi can @#$% my giant @#$% sword," or something else they may or may not deem appropriate for the Vivendi seal of approval to go on. However, since KQ1 and KQ2+ weren't asked to be changed, they don't forsee them asking QFG2 to change much before release either, so therefore there shouldn't be much delay on that end.

Calvert666
Peasant Status

Game Features and Release Date

#113 Post by Calvert666 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:17 am

I know you get asked this a million times, but is this game anywhere near completion, and if so, is there a ballpark guess as to the release date?

Secondly, will people be able to import their QFG1 and QFG1 Remake profiles from the end of the game, and also, will we be able to save a working profile at the end of this game to use in QFG3?

Other than the AWESOME graphics, what other new features have been added to this great remake? 8o

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#114 Post by Kurdt » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:24 am

Wow, your post almost directly quotes the FAQ on the main site. Therefore, you should go there. Look, here's a link:

http://www.agdinteractive.com/faq-qfg2.php

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#115 Post by Erpy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:22 am

A couple more:

69) There are two periods at the end of both instances of this line in room 4:

Code: Select all

DisplaySpeech(SLOREE, "Our final offer is %d dinars. .", price);

145) I noticed it seems possible to trigger a too-close-for-comfort glitch of sorts when fighting the griffin. Perhaps it's a stand-alone bug, or it could be related to the same glitch other battles too. At any rate, I fought the griffin as a Wizard and I noticed that sometimes if you cast Dazzle while the griffin is floored (or in the process of recoiling/falling back from a hit) then casting Dazzle can make him instantly revert back to a fighting row without finishing the recoil animation.  From that point, he seems to sometimes be too-close-for-comfort. Not sure if the same thing happens when you cast Calm or not.

Update: This glitch with the griffin getting too-close-for-comfort is definitely related to casting Dazzle in combat. It's reproducible if you keep casting dazzle while the griffin flies backwards or forwards between rows. Eventually, Merv will end up standing on the same row as the hero (i.e. Visually appearing too low), yet your attacks still hit him, like he was still standing in front of you.

Fixed it. Too bad it's related to a griffin-specific issue that doesn't appy to any other adversaries.

147) I received this error message when clicking on the Force Bolt inv icon from the spells GUI in the open desert:
in Global script (line 14137)
Error: RunInventoryInteraction: invalid inventory number
...It seems to occur if you're moving the mouse when you click the spell icon. For example, if you quickly move the mouse from right to left (click the button while it's over the force bolt icon) and then, with the mouse still moving, release the button when it's no longer over the force bolt icon, the game will crash with the above error message.

While I've had it myself one time, I was unable to consistently replicate it even by using the method described here.

It's much easier to replicate the crash if you drop the Game Speed slider to it's lowest setting, and then follow the proceedure mentioned above.

Should be fixed now.

154) While I was in battle with a Terrorsaurus, I cast Dazzle at him. He started rubbing his eyes. Then I escaped from battle, and the terrorsaurus put up chase.  He caught me again and combat started once more. As soon as the screen scrolled down and the battle began, the terrorsaurus immediately started rubbing his eyes, as if he was still dazzled. When escaping from battle with any monster, any currently active Dazzle spell should wear off as soon as the hero leaves the battle screen.

160) If you walk into the Palace Plaza screen (room 8) with the katta merchants on day 9 (or any day later), the walkable area beneath their stands is turned on and you can walk on top of the katta's stalls.

I wasn't able to replicate that one.

Simply start a new game, Time Warp to day 9, and then use the magic map to teleport to the Palace Plaza (room 8). Then try walking on top of Tiram and Sashannan's stalls. Pressing CTRL-A will confirm that walkable area 2 (the green color) is turned on when it should be off.

Seems like a ghost bug to me. It's there, but only if you walk into the palace plaza after day 8 while the air elemental hasn't appeared yet. (an impossible situation if you play the game without the debug mode)

161) In room6, sometimes a wandering plaza guard will walk to the coordinates x:251 y:114 and just stand there until you exit the screen.

Hmmm, those coordinates don't appear in the script. I didn't see this one myself yet either, so it's difficult to see where the fault lies.

Oops, I gave you the wrong character's coordinates. Try x:160 y:154 instead. Also, if you talk to him, he'll resume his normal path and exit the screen, but if you leave him he'll just stand there.

Should be fixed now.

997) If you place the following code at the top of every Shapeir Plaza room's rep_exec_always script (except for the actual Palace screen), then it will prevent wandering NPC's and guards from walking through the hero. Instead, they'll stop when they make contact with him, and wait till the hero walks aside before continuing on their way.
if(AreThingsOverlapping(EGO, TOWNONE)>14) {townoneposition=997; townonestopped=0; StopMoving(TOWNONE); townonewaittimer=0; townonestoptime=100;}
else if((AreThingsOverlapping(EGO, TOWNONE)==0)&&(townoneposition==997)&&(cTownone.walking==0)) {townoneposition=1; townonestopped=1; townonewaittimer=0; townonedirection=Random(2); townonestoptime=0;}

if(AreThingsOverlapping(EGO, TOWNTWO)>14) {towntwoposition=997; towntwostopped=0; StopMoving(TOWNTWO); towntwowaittimer=0; towntwostoptime=100;}
else if((AreThingsOverlapping(EGO, TOWNTWO)==0)&&(towntwoposition==997)&&(cTowntwo.walking==0)) {towntwoposition=1; towntwostopped=1; towntwowaittimer=0; towntwodirection=Random(2); towntwostoptime=0;}

if(AreThingsOverlapping(EGO, TOWNTHREE)>14) {townthreeposition=997; townthreestopped=0; StopMoving(TOWNTHREE); townthreewaittimer=0; townthreestoptime=100;}
else if((AreThingsOverlapping(EGO, TOWNTHREE)==0)&&(townthreeposition==997)&&(cTownthree.walking==0)) {townthreeposition=1; townthreestopped=1; townthreewaittimer=0; townthreedirection=Random(2); townthreestoptime=0;}

if(AreThingsOverlapping(EGO, GUARD)>14) {guardposition=997; guardstopped=0; StopMoving(GUARD); guardwaittimer=0; guardstoptime=100;}
else if((AreThingsOverlapping(EGO, GUARD)==0)&&(guardposition==997)) {guardposition=1; guardstopped=1; guardwaittimer=0; guarddirection=Random(2); guardstoptime=0;}

...I'm not that well-acquainted with the plaza NPCs code, so there are a few things that you will probably have to tweak. They are:

A) If you stand in front of a northern plaza exit, effectively blocking the way through, then NPCs will pile up at that entrance until you move out of the way. It's not really a big issue, but it would be nice if you could somehow change it so that only one NPC/guard will wait there at a time.

B) Again, if you block a plaza exit and wait for a while, any NPC waiting there will sometimes be issued a new MoveCharacterDirect command with different coordinates while they're still trapped in the alley area.  When you eventually move out of their way, sometimes the NPCs will walk diagonally to their destination point, instead of walking south into the plaza through the archway first. This causes them to clip through the alley wall and merchant stands as they enter.  Would it cause any glitches to simply use MoveCharacter commands instead of MoveCharacterDirect ones for all the wandering NPCS in plaza screens (except, of course, when they exit the plaza and must walk to .x<0 or to .x>320 etc.)?  An alternate solution would be to figure out how to stop new MoveCharacterDirect and character path commands from being issued to NPCs/Guards while they're already colliding with the hero.

C) When an NPC/Guard collides with the hero and stops walking,  I could not figure out how to make them resume walking along that same path again once the hero steps out of their way. Instead, another random path is selected. This means that sometimes the NPCs/Guards will enter, stop, and then leave again. If possible, it would be good to make them resume walking along the same path that they were already walking along.

--EDIT--

This is the alternate code you can use (which seems to work a bit better) by using AreCharactersColliding instead.

if(AreCharactersColliding(EGO,TOWNONE)==1){townoneposition=997; townonestopped=0; StopMoving(TOWNONE); townonewaittimer=0; townonestoptime=100;}
else if((AreCharactersColliding(EGO,TOWNONE)==0)&&(townoneposition==997)&&(cTownone.walking==0)) {townoneposition=1; townonestopped=1; townonewaittimer=0; townonedirection=Random(2); townonestoptime=0;}

if(AreCharactersColliding(EGO,TOWNTWO)==1) {towntwoposition=997; towntwostopped=0; StopMoving(TOWNTWO); towntwowaittimer=0; towntwostoptime=100;}
else if((AreCharactersColliding(EGO,TOWNTWO)==0)&&(towntwoposition==997)&&(cTowntwo.walking==0)) {towntwoposition=1; towntwostopped=1; towntwowaittimer=0; towntwodirection=Random(2); towntwostoptime=0;}

if(AreCharactersColliding(EGO,TOWNTHREE)==1) {townthreeposition=997; townthreestopped=0; StopMoving(TOWNTHREE); townthreewaittimer=0; townthreestoptime=100;}
else if((AreCharactersColliding(EGO,TOWNTHREE)==0)&&(townthreeposition==997)&&(cTownthree.walking==0)) {townthreeposition=1; townthreestopped=1; townthreewaittimer=0; townthreedirection=Random(2); townthreestoptime=0;}

if(AreCharactersColliding(EGO,GUARD)==1) {guardposition=997; guardstopped=0; StopMoving(GUARD); guardwaittimer=0; guardstoptime=100;}
else if((AreCharactersColliding(EGO,GUARD)==0)&&(guardposition==997)) {guardposition=1; guardstopped=1; guardwaittimer=0; guarddirection=Random(2); guardstoptime=0;}

998) If you stand in the Shapeir Gates Plaza, blocking the entrance to the alley, or the exit to the saurus lot at night, then the guard who passes through will walk right through the hero. (Note: this might be solved once the above code in number 997 is implemented).

Ibanezrg82
Knight Status

#116 Post by Ibanezrg82 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:51 am

just keep it as close to the original, that's all I ask.

I hope that is not considered "whining."

Almagnus1
Peasant Status

#117 Post by Almagnus1 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:40 pm

I sense much pain and suffering whilst hunting for those bugs....

Testing != fun.

Still though, can't wait to play though, but take your time with it and don't rush it.  I'd rather have a game that rocks, than one with more bugs than a very popular operating system. ; )

By the way, is that C/C++ you're using for the scripts you showed?

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#118 Post by Pidgeot » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:47 pm

It's the AGS scripting language. I forget what the official name is (I've never used it), but it's not actual C/C++ (though the syntax is similar).

Out of curiosity, what version control and bug tracking systems do you use, if any?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#119 Post by Erpy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:36 pm

The AGS-scripting language is similar to C (or C++ in later versions). But it's very basic...no messing with pointers, memory allocation and stuff like that.

We're not using much of a version control system, since there's only two people working on it right now. One person has the master source, the other submits rooms or posts the modifications to be made in the developers forum.

Xyloc
Peasant Status

#120 Post by Xyloc » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:15 am

Thanks for those updates, they provide more insight in the arduous and sometimes tedious work you have to do in order to squash the bugs.
When you are not the one who has to fix it, it's entertaining to read them.
I'm into some bugfixing myself, so I really appreciate the trouble you're going through.
I hope you can deliver it before springtime. Winter is a good time time to play this game, especially since it's situated in the desert.

Good luck and thanks again!

Zander6669
Peasant Status

#121 Post by Zander6669 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:52 pm

Now instead of asking for a ball park figure like everyone other new poster on this thread. Is it possible to get another youtube video to show the progress? Much like that other one released an extremely long time ago.  I need my QFG hunger sedated.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#122 Post by Erpy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:24 pm

Hehehehe. My definition of "progress" would be: "what we've been doing lately". Which status report do you think is more informative and accurate about what the most recent developments behind the scenes are?

A) A shortened list of the bugs we've fixed last week, like I submitted a few posts above this message

or:

B) A YouTube movie put together with scenes and stuff that was already in there 1.5 year ago?

Anyway, I'm afraid another trailer is pretty much out of the question. We just want to concentrate on bugs and because we want to keep the fans informed about what we're doing, we're occasionally posting peeks on that process in this thread. The time has passed that we'd be comfy spending time on PR-stuff.

In my opinion, people don't like screenshots or trailers because they are an accurate indication of progress. Most of the time, they're not. People really just want to play the finished game and by watching screenshots or trailers, they're able to experience a lite-version of the feeling (nostalgica, excitement etc...) they'll be experiencing when they actually play the game. But trust me, it's not worth delaying the actual game over. Not at this point anymore.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#123 Post by Paladinlover » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:49 am

Erpy, though this question has most probably been answered already, but are you guys actually done programming the game and are just in the bug bashing phase or is there more that needs to be scripted and/or drawn?  :\

Till next time stay cool :smokin

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#124 Post by Erpy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:01 am

No, there's nothing more that needs to be drawn or scripted from scratch. Right now we're simply ironing out bugs in existing scenes. AGD2 has been doing a mage playthrough lately and his experiences so far (up to Raseir) only resulted in about 60 new bugs, most of them relatively minor. (only 1 crash among them) We're currently working on fixing those. Perhaps when we make some more progress, we'll post part of it.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#125 Post by greensenshi » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:37 am

Another question.  Since you're doing a playthrough with each character class, will you be testing out hybrids as well?  And as far as hybrids, will they be able to do things like find W.I.T. and do the EOF or something like that?