Progress Update Thread (formerly known as quest for glory 2)

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#151 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:02 am

Yeah, in the remake you can put the beatdown on Merv and still become a Paladin.

Corey Cole mentioned in a chat once, that killing the griffin was never meant to be a complete disqualifier towards Paladinhood, so we've fixed that discrepancy. Although, duffing him up won't exactly earn you any brownie points either - combined with too many other dishonorable actions, it can certainly ruin your chances of wielding a blue flaming sword.

In regards to points, the remake recently experienced a similar bug where it was impossible (or at least very hard) to get the full 500 standard points for any character other than a thief. Not receiving any points for killing two monster types as a Fighter was also one of the causes here.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#152 Post by Kurdt » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:52 am

*in an old pirate voice* Y'AAARRR!!! The old curse be livin' on!!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#153 Post by Brainiac » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:29 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:In regards to points, the remake recently experienced a similar bug where it was impossible (or at least very hard) to get the full 500 standard points for any character other than a thief. Not receiving any points for killing two monster types as a Fighter was also one of the causes here.
Kurdt wrote:*in an old pirate voice* Y'AAARRR!!! The old curse be livin' on!!
Not really.  The "curse" in QfG3 was primarily the apprehension of the thief, Harami.  Every character could get 8 points for giving chase and running after him as well as a varying number of points for a class-specific action (throwing a knife as a Thief, casting a spell as a Wizard, knocking over the fruit as a Fighter/Paladin).  Unfortunately, the final tally of points required BOTH sets of points to reach 500 and you can only get points for ONE of these actions.

The other major point glitch in QfG3 is in the Simbani Initiation.  As near as I can tell, there's no way to outrun Yesufu during the race portions.  As such, you only get 5 points for losing honorably, rather than 10 for winning honorably.  The official hint book point list I tracked down lists these points as meant to be for winning or losing the initiation as a whole, so it may have been sloppy coding in general.  However, since this is in the Simbani Initiation, it only affects Fighters and Paladins and Pallies can reach 500 without the extra 5 points.So overall, the Fighter got the worst of it.

techie775
Knight Status

#154 Post by techie775 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:55 am

Every character could get 8 points for giving chase and running after him as well as a varying number of points for a class-specific action (throwing a knife as a Thief, casting a spell as a Wizard, knocking over the fruit as a Fighter/Paladin).
I found this weird if you yourself were a thief. Stopping one of your own from doing something similar to what you would do if given the chance seems a little hypocritical to me.  They could have given you points for doing nothing to stop Hamari at least. I know that's boring but it made more sense to me.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#155 Post by Kurdt » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:48 pm

Um, I was making a joke about how not being able to get full points lives on into the remake.

I've outrun Yesufu before and won the initiation. I've only done it, like, twice, I think, because it's really hard and you have to have some high skills (and luck), but I know it can be done.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#156 Post by Gronagor » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:32 pm

Hehe. Agree Techie. That bothered me as well. :)

I just convinced myself the guy failed to do the thief-sign.  :lol

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

Re: Points in Quest for Glory

#157 Post by DonQuixote » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:19 am

Brainiac wrote:
DonQuixote wrote:Did anyone ever get a perfect score in QG2?  It's something I never pulled off and just assumed there was an error like in QG3.
It is indeed possible to get a perfect score with any class in QfG2, except for a Thief-to-Paladin.  Any regular class can get all 500 points specific to the class, but only Fighters and Wizards can get the full 550 points when becoming a Paladin.

QfG3 is indeed the only title where most classes cannot get full points.  A Fighter that becomes a Paladin can break 500 but will still not make 550; however, a character that is a Paladin from the start can actually get 500 points EXACTLY ON THE NOSE due to the fact that it was forgotten to remove the points for the first slaying of the various randomly-encountered enemies in the game (those points should only be for the Fighter).

I have indeed gotten perfect scores for all three main character types and a Fighter-to-Paladin (honestly, it's actually harder to get keep a Wizard from converting if you want to get full points).
Guess I just never tried hard enough.  QfG3 I know it was basically impossible (save for the Paladin), I actually bought the hint book a very long time ago to see what I missed... alas, nothing new could be done.

Nevertheless, I'm glad to hear that more work is still being done on the game.  Release- soon but not year ;)  The long wait does build up a lot of anticipation, I can't wait to see the close-up animation for a lot of the game sequences- the caravan, meetings with Aziza, talking with Ferrari, etc.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Stats

#158 Post by Brainiac » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:44 pm

Kurdt wrote:I've outrun Yesufu before and won the initiation. I've only done it, like, twice, I think, because it's really hard and you have to have some high skills (and luck), but I know it can be done.
Intriguing.  I'd be more interested in your computer specs at the time, actually.  I've been outrun even at 300 Agility, mostly because Yesufu always pours it on right at the end of any section, even when you're supposed to be running parallel.  It might just be a timing effect do to advanced computers (even though I've used DOSbox and slowdown utilities).

Even without that, Fighters and Pallies have the old crash issue at the spear competition.  Easily fixed now with DOSbox and the patches, but still a nuisance.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#159 Post by Kurdt » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:22 am

I can't remember if which computer I was using at the time, but it was probably either my Pentium 1 or my Pentium 4. I couldn't say whether or not I was using the patches or DOSBox or anything either. Like I said, it was a LOOOOOONG time ago.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#160 Post by Gronagor » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:40 pm

I agree. I've done it once as well. But never succeeded since.

Could be a number of things. Inventory perhaps?

mademoiselle_meena
Peasant Status

Every day closer....

#161 Post by mademoiselle_meena » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:28 pm

:rollin
I just can't wait I am so excited!!!  I don't know if this is possible or probable but I was wondering if some more interaction is going to be included for each character type i.e. more place to rob for the theif...I did hear that the magic maze game may be included which is awesome!

I am so excited!!!

Soulforge
Peasant Status

#162 Post by Soulforge » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:00 pm

DonQuixote wrote:QfG3 I know it was basically impossible (save for the Paladin), I actually bought the hint book a very long time ago to see what I missed... alas, nothing new could be done.
I've completed the game as a thief with the full 500 points.  The two main factors I've come across are how you react to Harami (the thief in the Tarna bazaar) and how you get the opal eye.  As I recall, you can get the fruit from the vines with your grappling hook and the opal from the statue in Tarnis, versus getting then in one shot after rescuing the meerbat.  You can still rescue it, just don't get the opal afterwards!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#163 Post by Brainiac » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:21 pm

Soulforge wrote:
DonQuixote wrote:QfG3 I know it was basically impossible (save for the Paladin), I actually bought the hint book a very long time ago to see what I missed... alas, nothing new could be done.
I've completed the game as a thief with the full 500 points.  The two main factors I've come across are how you react to Harami (the thief in the Tarna bazaar) and how you get the opal eye.  As I recall, you can get the fruit from the vines with your grappling hook and the opal from the statue in Tarnis, versus getting then in one shot after rescuing the meerbat.  You can still rescue it, just don't get the opal afterwards!
That's not the problem - the problem is Harami.  You get 8 points for running after Harami and 5 points for throwing a dagger at him as a Thief.  The problem is, you can't get both.  Now, if you've found some missed points somewhere meant for another character class that a Thief can still get, that might offset the problem and "restore" a full 500 points.  Any thoughts in that regard?

You know, it occurs to me that it may be possible to stop Harami by throwing the fruit rather than a dagger...maybe that's the key for Thieves?

As to the Simbani Initiation, I think I may open a new thread in OT to discuss it further.  Since at least two people here have cracked it, I'd like to get as many details as possible (especially if anyone has confirmed getting 10 points rather than 5 and/or won the footrace).

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#164 Post by Fribbi » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:51 pm

It would be good idea for the main update page if you add a new update with only the link on this thread so people wont be asking for more main page news updates. I know many people read only the main page to get the latest news about your progress instead coming into this thread . You only need to put just a link to this thread. No need to put a new news there only the link. It will keep people coming here more often with just clicking on the link.  ;)  I hope that idea helped you somehow. :D

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#165 Post by Erpy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:57 pm

The link IS in the designer journal (the top-most) and it's really obvious too. I don't think there's any need to make it more obvious.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#166 Post by Fribbi » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:26 am

Oops sorry about that. I guess I was too lazy to find that out. Oh well that was just then another of my dumb ideas on this year hahahaaha. :lol

Soulforge
Peasant Status

#167 Post by Soulforge » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:52 am

Brainiac wrote:That's not the problem - the problem is Harami.  You get 8 points for running after Harami and 5 points for throwing a dagger at him as a Thief.  The problem is, you can't get both.  Now, if you've found some missed points somewhere meant for another character class that a Thief can still get, that might offset the problem and "restore" a full 500 points.  Any thoughts in that regard?
That's a possibility, although I don't play hybrid classes.  It's been a while since I played Qfg3- perhaps I'll load it up again.  At one point I'd actually made my own point list for each class and compared it to others I'd found in the internet- I had some that weren't on the others for some reason.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#168 Post by Brainiac » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:53 am

Soulforge wrote:It's been a while since I played Qfg3- perhaps I'll load it up again.  At one point I'd actually made my own point list for each class and compared it to others I'd found in the internet- I had some that weren't on the others for some reason.
Glad to hear it.  Feel free to post any results here.

Everyone, let's try to move the extraneous QfG discussion over to that thread.  The AGDs want this thread for progress updates of their project specifically, not our commentary on the series as a whole.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#169 Post by Kurdt » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:42 pm

MEENA?!?!?! Jigga WHAAAAT?!?!?!!

augie1111
Peasant Status

#170 Post by augie1111 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:21 pm

WOW, you guys are planning for an imminent  beta release, excellent news indeed! I didn't want to post in the beta thread as I would have nothing to say except that I can't help. :lol I think I'll grab KQ111 to tide me over until then.;) BTW Erpy, nice choice of dates to announce the beta. :lol

Slayne
Peasant Status

#171 Post by Slayne » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:07 am

Kudos for the hard work put in to finally reach this point; I hope it's been a fun ride.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#172 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:45 am

augie1111 wrote:WOW, you guys are planning for an imminent  beta release, excellent news indeed! I didn't want to post in the beta thread as I would have nothing to say except that I can't help. :lol I think I'll grab KQ111 to tide me over until then.;) BTW Erpy, nice choice of dates to announce the beta. :lol
You're on KQ111? farthest I got was 8 and even then... more like 7.... more like 6 then they stopped being fun.

TheGazelMinistry
Peasant Status

#173 Post by TheGazelMinistry » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:24 pm

people are actually excited and eager about its release as harry potter 7 the deathly hollows this july.
Yes, yes, there are as many people looking forward to the next Harry Potter book/movie as there are looking forward to the remake of QG2.

At least ... that's what it seems like you were trying to say.

augie1111
Peasant Status

#174 Post by augie1111 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:16 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:
augie1111 wrote:WOW, you guys are planning for an imminent  beta release, excellent news indeed! I didn't want to post in the beta thread as I would have nothing to say except that I can't help. :lol I think I'll grab KQ111 to tide me over until then.;) BTW Erpy, nice choice of dates to announce the beta. :lol
You're on KQ111? farthest I got was 8 and even then... more like 7.... more like 6 then they stopped being fun.
Hehehe, :p

Calvert666
Peasant Status

So how is the game coming along?

#175 Post by Calvert666 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:31 am

So what exactly IS the progress of the beta testing? When do you expect it to be done? What is KQ111? If you're trying to say KQ3 in roman numerals, you  used the wrong letter. What other good sierra-esque games are on par with the KQ remakes and QFG?