Progress Update Thread (formerly known as quest for glory 2)

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

b74life
Royal Servant Status

Re: Progress Update Thread (formerly known as quest for glory 2)

#551 Post by b74life » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:28 pm

So I got a really cool idea. After you get the note from vivendi you should just put the game out as it is and tell the fans to fix the bugs. I mean youve been working like 4 years with no compensation. thats what id do.

Avoozl
Peasant Status

#552 Post by Avoozl » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:39 am

First of all I would like to congradulate you guys on a job well done. Quest for Glory 2 Trail by Fire is one of the best games ever created and by far the best adventure game of all time. If any game deserved a remake it was this one and I am glad someone decided to do it. Thing that sucks about Vivendi is that they hold all the cards right now. I know they could have shut the project down at a moments notice but instead decided to work out some sort of agreement with Agdi. my concern, what is to stop them from holding the green light and stalling the project that way. I just don't have faith that they are all that concerned about this remake being released and it may be years before they even green light the project.

I know you guys would have had this game out already if you could...I just don't trust Vivendi......

I hope I am wrong............

Avoozl

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#553 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:54 am

You are.
Truth is nothing to stop them however AGDI has a official agreement with them and if you paid attention you know thats oys already seen positive feed back from the company and despite the stereo type vendi is not evil

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#554 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:30 am

Don't worry, I don't think they'll stall.

JonWW
Royal Servant Status

#555 Post by JonWW » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:15 am

Is there any more bugs to squash before release or are you just waiting for the report from Vivendi?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#556 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:28 am

My current buglist has about 25 entries or so right now. (about twice as many entries long a few days ago) Hopefully, once it´s cleared no more will take its place. But yeah, we´re also still plugging away at the game.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#557 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:56 am

Better make that about 39 now. |I

I think the game will more than likely be released with some very minor bugs in it. The complexity of the remake is so vast that it's simply impossible to try out every possible combination of all the things you can do in any single play through. Every time I play the game, I keep finding 100+ new issues, the majority of them minor.

Fortunately, these are not fatal crashes but more like tiny things that we didn't consider. For example, just 25 minutes ago I found a bug where you can be climbing the Magic Rope at a time when a guard sees you committing an illegal action that normally results in the Hero legging it. I was on the rope when the guard noticed the Hero and instead of falling off the rope with a thud, he ran down from the sky. The Death GUI appeared and all the buttons were greyed-out.

Now, this bug is something that not many people (if any) will ever perform, since the time frame you're given to use the rope (which you're not even supposed to use to solve this puzzle) is very brief. I only noticed the glitch myself because I was intentionally trying to do things that most players wouldn't perform in this particular scene.

I suspect that there may be a few similar elusive issues that could slip into the final release. But there shouldn't be any show-stoppers (and if there are, then none that can't be easily worked around.)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#558 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:06 pm

Better make that about 39 now. |I
Here we go again. Ah well, at least most of the new ones really are minor.

Chester
Peasant Status

#559 Post by Chester » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:09 pm

words can't express the sheer excitement of how close this is, I think i've mentioned it hear before I saw that this work was in progress YEARS ago and then I nearly p'd my pants! Now it's getting closer and closer!!! Sorry all just a lil excited:D

Can I just say a huge thank you to the tireless hours you guys have put in, to see these classics given new life is fantastic!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#560 Post by gamecreator » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:43 pm

Let's say you get to 0 bugs remaining. What happens then? Does everyone replay the game from start to finish? Do you have a list of unusual things to test (like the rope example) that could potentially introduce more bugs, etc.?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#561 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:15 pm

I don't think there could ever be zero bugs. We already have a thread dedicated to unresolved issues. These are basically elusive bugs that have been on our main to-do list and cannot be replicated consistently and thus can't be tracked down and fixed. We move these entries into another thread for future reference, in case any new light can be shed on the bugs in the future. Though, in saying that, a fair few of those 'unresolved' issues have probably been fixed over time as an indirect result of fixing/tweaking other things.

When the bug-list gets down to a low number, I usually do another play through and when I can reach the end and only encounter very minor errors, then I know it's just about ready to release. But the errors I have been finding to date are still big enough to keep requiring subsequent play-throughs. Things like altering the way enemies behave in battle or tweaking the GUI elements always have the potential to introduce fatal crashes or major glitches. So if those kinds of tweaks are made, another play through is usually needed to ensure that the new fixes have not caused other errors to occur. New errors do occur quite frequently as a result of fixing other issues.

Most of the beta testers have stopped playing the game now, and I'll bet even the ones who are still going are getting mighty sick and tired of it by now! :D I know I am! It takes about 3-4 days for me to play it through each time thoroughly, so at this point I dread finding more bugs and having to do further play throughs. It gets a little monotonous after the 60th time...

Though, the game's already more stable than the original QFG2, and 100 times more stable than QFG4.

b74life
Royal Servant Status

#562 Post by b74life » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:28 pm

More stable than QFG2 means fuck it! YOUVE OUTDONE SIERRA YOURE GOOD TO GO! *thumbs up*

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#563 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:28 pm

It takes about 3-4 days for me to play it through each time thoroughly, so at this point I dread finding more bugs and having to do further play throughs. It gets a little monotonous after the 60th time...
And fixing them takes even longer than 3-4 days, though I feel it's starting to get less and less time-consuming to fix everything. At this point, I dread AGD2 finding more bugs...shortening a bug list only to see it jump back to 40-60 after another playthrough gets monotonous too after the 60th time...a true Sisyphean chore if there was one.

EDIT: Outdoing Siera with QFG4 doesn't take too much...nobody wants to play a game that frequently crashes, so getting a little ahead of QFG4 would have definitely come back to bite us. We don't want to equate the most unstable game in the series in terms of stability, we want to get closer to QFG1EGA's/QFG2's level. And would you mind watching the language please?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#564 Post by Gronagor » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:27 pm

I have an idea Erpy! How about you play it through 60 times now, and AGD2 fix the bugs you find?! :p
Last edited by Gronagor on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#565 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:30 pm

No thanks. I'm not nearly as thorough.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#566 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:59 am

siooo close come on guys you can do it!!!!!

JonWW
Royal Servant Status

#567 Post by JonWW » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:20 am

Allways interesting to hear about the bugs you have on the list :D How many Beta testers are still activly doing playthoughs? Will there be any need for more testers? ;) Love Quest for Glory and can't wait to see you bring my favorite back to life. Would love to see a Himalaya oringial RPG / Adventure game. Heck even one set in a post nucular war future, like Wasteland, or a world taken over by robots like 2400A.D.

khoodandco
Peasant Status

#568 Post by khoodandco » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:39 am

JonWW wrote:Would love to see a Himalaya oringial RPG / Adventure game. Heck even one set in a post nucular war future, like Wasteland, or a world taken over by robots like 2400A.D.
1. Himalaya has already made an original adventure. Go check it out. http://www.himalayastudios.com/wq.htm
2. That post-nuclear idea is so crazy it just might work! :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#569 Post by Erpy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:52 am

Allways interesting to hear about the bugs you have on the list How many Beta testers are still activly doing playthoughs? Will there be any need for more testers?
No, we're not taking any more testers right now. As for the active testers, I think about 2 or so.

As for the bugs on the list...if you want a few:

324) Casting Dazzle inside Issur's shop at night should only make the dazzle appear inside the shop area. The portion of the screen that's outside the plaza should not have the dazzle graphic drawn there (neither in 32-bit mode nor lower). Add a walkbehind or something to hide it in the plaza area.

194) Fighting a 5-pack of jackalmen in melee range, I killed the last one with a flame dart and the game crashed with this:

in Room 165 script (line 16712)
Error: SetObjectGraphic: invalid object specified

...In case your room script has changed this is the line (there are 2 instances of it in the room):

Code: Select all

if (deathrow[opprow[4]-1]==2) SetObjectGraphic(deathrowid[opprow[4]-1]-10,3226);

431) Can you use these images for the Intro credits in less than 32-bit mode. The existing alpha-blended titles should stll be used for 32 mode. These graphics keep the same border dimensions as their 32-bit counterparts, so no adjustment will be necessary other than scripting them into place.

426) Can you implement this sound effect for Rocky's 32-bit shockwave effect.

428) Fighting with and killing Khaveen in the very first row (i.e. with the hero closest to the bottom of the screen) results in the Djinni automatically saying "Master you've GOT to go through the door at the top of the stairs..." as soon as the battle ends, since the Hero's positioned over the bottom edge of screen baseline. Any way to prevent that if you finish the battle on that particular row?

429) When you say goodbye to Harik, reword his reply from "...if you need any more of my pills." to "if you need any of my pills." (ie. remove the word 'more' so it doesn't assume the player has already bought some).

431) Thinking about this after seeing Rakeesh' dialogue again, I think 'wizard' should also work when Aziza asks who injured Rakeesh's leg, since Rakeesh DOES only say 'wizard' until you question him further about it, and then he finally says it turned out to be a "demon-wizard". So it's not really fair to not give 'wizard' to the player if that's the current info Rakeesh has given them and they haven't inquired further about the topic with him.

437) Visit Dinzarzad at day so her and franc are both fully day tinted. Then return at midnight and they will both be fully night tinted until after you enter the screen and stop walking (and she stops barking). Then they will return to their regular tinting level.

439) Asking Ali Fakir about Merchant>Price always says that his asking price is 50 dinars for the saurus, even if you have bargained him down lower than 50.

441) Clicking TALK on the crowd gathered at Agi's performance should say something different if you've already won 3 times.

447) Click some pills (ie Mana pills) on the hero and when the message appears about taking them with water etc. move the mouse to the very top of the screen where the icon bar appears. Click the messages away, and the icon will remain on the pill bottle, rather than changing to the arrow pointer. This may happen for any inv item you click on the Hero which produces a text message.

448) Challenge Issur to an arm wrestling match when you only have Spielburgian currency. Click HAND on his anvil to get the message that you need to see the moneychanger. Exit his shop and return another day. He will have increased the wager by an extra dinar, even though you did not wrestle him before.

In fact, every time you Challenge Issur and leave without wrestling, then re-enter his shop (even if you do have Dinars), he will have increased the wager by an extra dinar. He should only increase it if you actually wrestle him (i.e. go to the close-up screen) and lose.

450) In WIT, after casting Fetch to close the Fire test door, I had 8 Mana points remaining. I cast a Force Bolt at the top of the door and it fell over. This Force Bolt would have cost 6 Mana points and left me with 2 remaining; and since I had no more spells to cast, I should have finished and been taken to the WIT hall. However, after the door fell down, the wizards said I didn't have enough magic left to continue and kicked me out. They shouldn't do this, even if you have 0 mana points left after casting a successful Force Bolt at the door, because after the door has fallen, you have already passed.

451) If you agree to take the WIT oath, can you make the text messages about studying (and the death GUI) appear over a plan black screen?

461) Bring the Magic map up, then move the mouse to the very top of the screen. Click the map away, and the cursor you previously had active (prior to bringing the map up) will be visible as GUI2 pops up, rather than the arrow pointer.

466) In this quicksave, a brigand ran toward me one screen to the left of this. I got bucked off the saurus and killed the Brigand in combat. I walked up and remounted the saurus. When I rode right into the next screen the screen was scrolled down, as seen in this quicksave. If you keep walking right, you'll see that the subsequent screens you travel through after this one are also scrolled down.

486) When LOOKing at Issur's sword when it's stored in your room chest GUI, it says that you're carrying it.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#570 Post by Gronagor » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:56 pm

You gave away a few things there! :lol Thanks! :)

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#571 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:15 pm

Im geeting pumped now

b74life
Royal Servant Status

#572 Post by b74life » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:18 am

for 194

I dunno AGS scripting so I dunno the parameters for SetObjectGraphic() but it seems like deathrowid[] is an array to say either who is dead or who occupies the row for dead enemies. Eitherway, if the 'object' it doesnt like is referenced with deathrowid[opprow[2]-1] - 10, make sure whatever function puts values in deathrowid[], the loops are setup perfectly. If you have an <= where a < should be or vise versa, it could put an "undefined" or "null" into the array. Thats happened to me before getting an ID number in an array. But I dunno how you really do it, I usually used for loops and some small error would happen because it checked one element too many.

Can you make the narrorator box pop up just before that line to tell you exactly whats in deathrowid[opprow[2]-1] - 10? That may help

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#573 Post by Erpy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:26 am

All these issues were already adressed. Deathrow defines how many dead bodies already occupy that spot and if after slaying said jackal, there's 2 bodies on that spot, the object whose index is stored in deathrowid must change its graphic to the sprite in slot 3226. The issue wasn't so much a < was used instead of a <= (or vice versa). The issue was that:

1) This error only appeared once every 50 times or so. I wasn't able to adress it until AGD2 made a savegame 1 second before it was triggered.

2) Deathrowid for some reason had the wrong value, causing a non-existent object to be adressed.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#574 Post by Gronagor » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:09 am

Erpy... the fans will sponsor you guys a holiday on some tropical island after this is all done. :) With all that programming (more specifically the bug-finding), your brains must be near melt-down! :) AGD2 must be replaying the game in his dreams by now... finding bugs while he sleeps! :lol

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#575 Post by Erpy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:09 am

Yeah, those are called bed-bugs.