Progress Update Thread (formerly known as quest for glory 2)

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#176 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:17 am

Well, unfortunately, we seem to have acquired a large percentage of defective testers in the first round. Whether they just signed up to play the game before release or had some real-life priorities that they're not keeping is updated with... we don't really know. (Though, they sure were quick enough to download the beta.) Some of them haven't even bothered to sign back into the forum since the first day!

Pretty disappointing, really, considering the size of this game and all the little areas that are in need of testing; not to mention the fact that we've never had this kind of problem with previous beta testers. If they don't sign in soon, we may end up replacing them with more efficient people.

I would like to stress to all beta testers in future rounds if you KNOW you will not have the time or dedication to test this game, then for everyone's sake, please forfeit the task to somebody who will have the time and do a better job. For example; if you have a woodcutting contest that's going to put you out action for a few weeks, drop out now.  If you said in your application that you can test the game for 3-4 hours a day, then that's what we'll be expecting from you.   Again, this isn't just an opportunity to play the game early. You'll be expected to work hard. And by not doing the required work, you'll be wasting our time, and everyone else's time who's waiting patiently for this game to come out by delaying the progress.

If you're not capable of doing the job, DO NOT accept the position.

That said, I should also mention that we also have a handful of really good testers who are playing the game very thoroughly and are finding some well-hidden bugs!

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#177 Post by MacGyver » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:33 pm

If the beta is about 180mb, I found it available for download somewhere...

Anyway, since there's a high amount of defective beta testers, let us know if you're open for freelance beta testers. I can only do it on best effort, i.e. if I have the time, I will test it and report any problems I find.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#178 Post by Erpy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:53 pm

No, it's not 180 MB. Might be an infected file or so renamed to look like a beta.

Anyway, there's no real point in adding new testers to the mix right now. I'd estimate the amount of issues reported by the most active testers added in with the issues reported by Adeyke, Relight and AGD2 to be well around 300 entries. If we'd add a new tester right now, and he's thorough, there's a large chance he'll be wasting a lot of time reporting stuff that's already reported by someone else.

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#179 Post by MacGyver » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:05 pm

Ugh...already 300 entries so far? Good progress I'd say. And excellent job to the beta testers.

Hummm ok, haven't really downloaded it yet, though I was curious to find out if it's genuine.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#180 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:03 pm

If anyone leaked the beta, we'd be able to find out exactly who it was, and they'd most likely have Vivendi's legal dept to answer to. In short, it would not be a very wise move.

MacGuyver, can you PM me the details, please?

As for replacement testers, we'd consider them once the next beta release is out.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#181 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:51 pm

Man, that always happens with beta testers.

At least, with a public beta.  I've been lucky to meet a few really good testers that have stuck with us.

Bt

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#182 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:51 pm

Just checked the file, and it's not the real deal. Doesn't even specify whether it's a remake or VGA version. It simply says "Quest for Glory 2".

Considering that our version's less than 180MB, and the SCI version is certainly less than 180MB, I think it's safe to say that file's a dud.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#183 Post by Gronagor » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:21 pm

Hmmm... that's about the size of an anime AVI file....

uhmmm... did I say that out loud?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Not really...

#184 Post by Brainiac » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:31 pm

Gronagor wrote:Hmmm... that's about the size of an anime AVI file....

uhmmm... did I say that out loud?
Nope.  Unless you were speaking when you typed it. :p

A question just came to me a short while ago...are you adapting the weight system directly from the original QfG2 (which was used in the QfG1 remake) or will you be going with quarks as introduced in QfG3?

Alliance
Knight Status

#185 Post by Alliance » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:22 pm

It's a shame you've got defective testers.
I currently have no life, so if you need one more tester, I'm all for it.

QuestTester
Peasant Status

#186 Post by QuestTester » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:07 am

I was asked to be a tester for round 2. I haven't received any further instructions yet. I'm definitely not defective just waiting instructions.

adeyke

#187 Post by adeyke » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:42 am

Round 2 hasn't started yet.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#188 Post by Erpy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:02 am

When the next build becomes available, the next testers will be notified. Right now, we're still working on issues in the first build. Don't worry, we'll call you.

Alliance
Knight Status

#189 Post by Alliance » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:19 am

Erpy wrote:When the next build becomes available, the next testers will be notified. Right now, we're still working on issues in the first build. Don't worry, we'll call you.

You mean, you'll call us. On the phone. Wishing us happy birthday...
:lol

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#190 Post by Erpy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:15 am

No, it was a play on the phrase: "Don't call us, we'll call you."

avoozl snot
Royal Servant Status

#191 Post by avoozl snot » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:38 am

I'd like to put out some suggestions for all future testers. I'm not an expert on beta testing (this is my first time), but I've figured out a system that really works for me, and could help some of you.

Pretend that your hero is a drunken, ill-prepared, aggressive, inconsiderate idiot. Spend some quality research time in a dive bar watching people do things that make no sense.

QFG is designed to make you act heroic, but you rarely will break the game doing what you should be doing.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#192 Post by Gronagor » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:49 am

Aha!

So you should be playing the game as if you're an IA member of the QfI team! Good idea!  :p

j/k.
That sounds like a great way of doing it. How do you 'approach' a room? Or do you simply play the game all the way through (in above mentioned manner)?

avoozl snot
Royal Servant Status

#193 Post by avoozl snot » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:34 pm

I have already played the game through as the Mage, but I spend more time focused on parts that seem programming-intensive. I left a lot of saved games, so I can go back to those parts if I have an idea.

The best thing to do seems to be to try everything you can think of in the room, especially if it makes no sense whatsoever.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#194 Post by Gronagor » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:44 pm

Hey! Just thought of something! To test IA's QFI, the best way would probably be to be a lawfully good paladin type player!  :p

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#195 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:40 pm

Gronagor wrote:Aha!

So you should be playing the game as if you're an IA member of the QfI team! Good idea!  :p

j/k.
That sounds like a great way of doing it. How do you 'approach' a room? Or do you simply play the game all the way through (in above mentioned manner)?
Hey!  I've never drunk Quest for Flory when I'm gaming.

Bt

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#196 Post by DrJones » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:30 pm

I found a bug! I tried to load a game of QFG2EGA into QFG2VGA and it didn't work! Help! :cry

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#197 Post by MacGyver » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:35 am

Huh? I thought it's not supposed to work  :lol

Are you referring to QFG1 EGA ?

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#198 Post by DrJones » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:41 am

MacGyver wrote:Huh? I thought it's not supposed to work  :lol

Are you referring to QFG1 EGA ?
No, but I'm not even a tester, either. :lol

samtam90
Peasant Status

#199 Post by samtam90 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:53 am

If you need a tester for the second phase, I'm here.

Anyway, how's the beta test going?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#200 Post by Erpy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:41 pm

The total to-do list got over 500 entries.

Some stuff is easy to fix like: "put a comma after this word and put a period outside the quotes".

Some stuff is non-complex, but annoying to fix like "when I walk to this spot in this room, the back of my shoes are visible on top of the wall" (my personal opinion...I don't like pixel-precise editing)

Some stuff is critical and takes a while, but is fun. ("when I get a new waterskin, my weight doesn't get updated with the weight of one waterskins, but with the weight of all waterskins")

Some stuff is aesthetic. ("GUI needs to be put 3 pixels to the right in order to be centered on the screen")

Some stuff is repetitive. ("Collective weight isn't mentioned in the descriptions of inventory items you can get more than one of.")

Some stuff is elusive. ("Raseirian guards block alley like they're supposed to, until you leave the screen and come back, then they're gone for some reason")

Some stuff are suggestions. ("Don't display a "you're not close enough" message but let the hero walk over to that place and then trigger the action himself")

All in all, there's stuff in all kind of flavors to adress, but the one thing they have in common is that they make a pretty big workload combined.