QFG5 question for AGD team

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

TheSaint
Peasant Status

QFG5 question for AGD team

#1 Post by TheSaint » Wed May 02, 2007 10:35 pm

since the QFG2 remake is nearing its end as i hear, dont hate me if i ask: what does AGD team think about making a so-called remake of QFG5 in old style 2D way. im sure that im not the only one who thinks that 3D QFG5 ruined the "feeling" of the old skool game series like qfg and as i remember in kq was the same.

what do other qfg fans think btw?

dont hate me :)

Broomie
The Enigma

#2 Post by Broomie » Wed May 02, 2007 10:40 pm

This has come up many times, so the easiest answer is a "hard" no but I can't speak for AGDI. It's just very unlikely they'd take up a project like this, and seeing as AGD2 did work on QFG5 as well I don't think he has gripes with it. ;)

adeyke

#3 Post by adeyke » Thu May 03, 2007 5:08 am

Definitely not going to happen.

And AGD2 didn't do work on QfG5; he participated and won in a contest they held for fans.

Broomie
The Enigma

#4 Post by Broomie » Thu May 03, 2007 12:05 pm

So the monster he designed that was added to the game doesn't quality as work? I know it was a competition but that would still mean he worked on it.

And forgive me if I'm wrong, I don't remember seeing it in QFG5 either but from what I've read on the forums it's in there.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

The monster

#5 Post by Brainiac » Thu May 03, 2007 1:13 pm

Yep, it's in QfG5.  The Weirding (though as I recall, he originally called it something else).  Nasty little bugger, too (for which I continue to blame AGD2 :p ).

Broomie, check out the northern portion of Marete and some of the more remote islands; they should pop up sooner or later.  Just bring plenty of healing potions (or mana/vitality potions to keep healing abilities going).

Ekinatial
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Ekinatial » Thu May 03, 2007 6:36 pm

You've seriously never seen a weirding? Dude, those things are what make money useless. forget remote islands, go to the top right of the island between the dragon lair and pegasus and walk around. Soon enough you'll find weirdings. health and vitality potions? that's the disappointing loot. Those things drop magical chainmail. If you want one, keep one for yourself, otherwise horde a few of them and then sell them to pholus. They can go for about 1250 each, depending on your honor. Once you get a few of those, you can start the rites of rulership without any need for money, since anything you spend will be reimbursed via rites. The only thing you may have trouble with is buying every single special weapon. but that can be cured by getting more chainmails or doing the arena.

linty2
Peasant Status

Downgrade?!?!?

#7 Post by linty2 » Fri May 04, 2007 1:53 am

Ewww... downgrade QFGV? Buy the source engine instead, heh.

TheSaint
Peasant Status

Re: Downgrade?!?!?

#8 Post by TheSaint » Fri May 04, 2007 10:48 pm

linty2 wrote:Ewww... downgrade QFGV? Buy the source engine instead, heh.
actually what i mean is an upgrade, since imho Sierra downgraded the QFG style with #5

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Sat May 05, 2007 6:47 am

Regardless, I don't think you'll find anyone who'd be willing to spend a multitude of years working to adjust a game to what I still think is a personal preference of yours.

ChaosBurnFlame
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by ChaosBurnFlame » Sat May 05, 2007 4:41 pm

I'd personally would've loved if the Coles got to stick with Sierra right after IV and went straight into V, then titled "Hero's Crown".

But to ask people, for free, to dedicate years of their freetime to rebuild a game, from the ground up, mind you, would be nigh impossible.

Only moreso because V begs for things to be changed if made in the previous Sierra style.  Dozens of things would most likely change while the bare framework of the plot would be the only thing really left intact.

I don't know about you, but that sounds like AT LEAST five years work, not to mention trying to secure Vivendi's approval of such a mammoth project may as well be nigh impossible.

dr_foreman
Peasant Status

#11 Post by dr_foreman » Sun May 06, 2007 2:45 am

I wouldn't really count on the AGD team remaking more old Sierra games - I think they're concentrating on creating original adventure games (and rightfully so, since they deserve some cash for their efforts!) I could be wrong - and I probably should break the habit of speaking for others - but I just sense that they're movin' on from the remakes.

TheSaint
Peasant Status

#12 Post by TheSaint » Wed May 09, 2007 3:07 pm

i know i know...

problem is that in all the years of (ab)using computers i haven't found single game with QFG spirit and game concept :/

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by DonQuixote » Fri May 11, 2007 7:01 pm

I don't even see how this could be done without tremendous effort.  A VGA upgrade from an EGA game doesn't seem that far, and that has been taking years to complete, QG2 is much short, has fewer creatures, characters, spells, etc.  I have a feeling, the game would have to be almost completely from scratch.

Personally I'd rather see some more of Sierra's EGA games have work done with them, if AGD decides to work on more games.  QFGV was/is fine the way it is.

Piotyr
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Piotyr » Wed May 16, 2007 2:36 pm

While a remake of qfg 5 that was basically the same game just a better combat system would be wonderful I doubt anyones going to do it seeing as it would be an insane undertaking. Maybe someone could do so by taking nwn2 and using that.
If an engine comes out that would all a near faithful remake I damn well think it would be time for the community to think of a remake but for now its just not feesable (And making a whole new engine for wfg5 is a waste seeing as it would take years, years that can be spent on better things).

jarod
Peasant Status

#15 Post by jarod » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:45 pm

rather than a remake of QFG5 i'd much rather see the proposed add-ons that were hoped for but dumped pretty early on.  i enjoyed QFG5 but it lacked 2 major things for me...

a) there wasn't really incentive to build up the character as there wasn't and would never be any future game to import that character to!

b) the game always felt somehow incomplete.  the solutions for each class weren't that varied or relevant and the game had huge open spaces that begged for more adventure to be filled in with!!!

anyway, i know i'll just always be dreaming - but they are sweet dreams :)

twiztidbudsmoker
Peasant Status

#16 Post by twiztidbudsmoker » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:22 pm

I just got qfg5 and I dont recomend that to anyone, that game sucks hard. When I saw the innkeeper I quit the game and deleted it. I just dont see how it goes from qfg4 to that crap for little kids

Bigfan
Peasant Status

#17 Post by Bigfan » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:15 pm

Not playing QFG5 because of a difference in style is such a waste.  The story is solid, the system is passable.  It may not look like the earlier games, but I would hardly call it "little kids" fare.

twiztidbudsmoker
Peasant Status

#18 Post by twiztidbudsmoker » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:26 am

but I would hardly call it "little kids" fare
it is compared to qfg4 imo

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#19 Post by Boogeyman » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:29 am

You call Hades and people getting murdered "little kids" fare?

Piotyr
Peasant Status

#20 Post by Piotyr » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:36 am

His names twiztidbudsmoker ignore um.

twiztidbudsmoker
Peasant Status

#21 Post by twiztidbudsmoker » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:10 pm

hey if your a little kid you probabely liked it, I wouldnt want to offend little kids with my opinion piotyr  :eek  god knows what you could do, throw a hissy fit  :cry

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#22 Post by Erpy » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:22 pm

twiztidbudsmoker, please try being a little bit more civil around here.

twiztidbudsmoker
Peasant Status

#23 Post by twiztidbudsmoker » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:33 pm

sorry bro. wish we all could get along  :rolleyes

TribeHasSpoken
Peasant Status

#24 Post by TribeHasSpoken » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:40 am

twiztidbudsmoker wrote:hey if your a little kid you probabely liked it, I wouldnt want to offend little kids with my opinion piotyr  :eek  god knows what you could do, throw a hissy fit  :cry
JERRY! JERRY!! JERRY!!!

Alanor.
Royal Servant Status

#25 Post by Alanor. » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:39 pm

I dont quite get it, why people hate QFG 5.

It took me half a month to downlo.. err.. buy QFG 5 and it was worth all of it. I enjoyed every minute of it as much as QFG 4.

See you just have to get used to the interface like many different old games you play and i am sure you will love QFG 5.

If you play QFG 5 comparing it to other QFG games you will end up hating it as QFG 5 is quite different yet enjoyable from its preceders. play it as a new kind adventure game as you will realise how equally good QFG 5 really is.

Great music.

Nice and quite original fighting interface with lots of flexibility for fighters/paladin and wizards/thief. (use more mouse and less keyboard while fighting or casting spells and you wont have any problem with the fighting interface. again its all about getting used to it.)

Excellent story. QFG 5 kind of ties all the QFG games togather right from QFG 1 as far as story is concerned.

Wierdings against fighters/paladin, manes in hades during the rites of rulership, the hydra against fighters, the united dragon of doom battle in the end and many other things makes QFG 5 as difficult as easy to play.

Each rite can be completed in two to four different ways if you know how. Refer to the excellent walkthrough by CyricZ for that.

Great game play atmosphere like QFG 4.

And many other small and big things togather make QFG 5 QUITE A ENJOYABLE GAME IN ITS OWN WAY.

I really feel bad for those people who deleted or gave up on QFG 5 by just looking at its beginning and hating it because its not similar to other QFG games. Poor people just dont know what they are missing.