Question on QfG2 distribution methods

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Arseny
Peasant Status

Question on QfG2 distribution methods

#1 Post by Arseny » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:13 am

As the release time draws (hopefully) closer, I'm wondering about one thing – when the game is finished, how will it be distributed? Obviously, you will put it up on web server (mit.edu, as for KQ1 and 2?), but I think it will be under some significant strain for the first week or two. So, to avoid this, have you considered some alternative forms, like torrent, to ease the server load?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:23 am

As part of our agreement with Vivendi, we're only allowed to distribute the game files via our own website. This also helps us with tracking the download numbers and statistics and keeping them as accurate as possible.

There are actually several different sites and FTP servers that host the current games, but the links are chosen randomly every time someone attempts to download a game (it's designed to even-out the bandwidth over the long term). There did used to be a lot more servers hosting our games, but many of them have silently dropped off over the years.

When the time comes, we'll probably be appealing to some generous folks out there to donate server space to the cause, like we did when the previous games were released.

Arseny
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Arseny » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:29 am

As far as I understand how the torrents work, if you host the tracker file on your site, you have access to all statistics, including number of downloads. But legal stuff is legal stuff, and I hope that there will be no problems with downloading. :)