Beta testing has started

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Beta testing has started

#1 Post by Erpy » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:49 pm

NEWSFLASH: The sultanate of Shapeir is currently enlisting brave and devoted adventurers who are willing to assist the authorities in making the country a more stable and enjoyable place to be. Some time ago, the land was overtaken by a particularly elusive and persistent kind of creature, called a programming bug. In order to rid the land of these pests, Sultan Harun Al-Rashid (May He Live Forever!) in all His wisdom, sought out the help of a small band of valiant heroes to do battle with these abominations. This band fought long and hard and the bug population was drastically reduced over time as a result of their efforts. However, the remaining members of the population have become wary and have gone into hiding, only showing their face in very specific circumstances.

Because of that, additional adventurers are requested to journey to Shapeir and assist the Sultan's bug-exterminators in tracking down the remaining bugs that still plague the land. Because there is no reward in Dinars posted, the adventurers Shapeir is looking for should be self-sacrificing Paladin-type personalities who do not shun long, hard and tedious work for no compensation but a boosted personal honor stat. In addition, these adventurers should have a keen eye, analytical mind, a long attention span and the ability to think outside the box. Prior experience with the land of Shapeir is not mandatory, but the previously stated personality traits most certainly are.

Those adventurers who are interested and understand that their journey to Shapeir will not so much be a vacation, but a noble and necessary quest that involves them sacrificing their own enjoyment of Shapeir for the cause of the Greater Good, can scroll down and click on the link below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, all the poetic analogies aside...as the title of this thread already announced, Quest for Glory 2 VGA is going beta and we're looking for suitable volunteers to help us test. If you have a lot of time to spend and have the qualities stated above, please apply and we may pick you as an official QFG2VGA beta tester. If you've looked through the progress reports thread and frequently thought to yourself: “I could have spotted those.” you may be fit to the task.

Keep in mind that actual testing probably won't start until after new year, so you'll need a lot of time to spare even after the holidays.

If you think you have what it takes to help us give the game that extra bit of polish, please click on the link below and fill out the application form.

EDIT: The application phase is now officially closed. No more applications are accepted.

EDIT: I've just sent out mails to the selected few. I guess this officially marks the start of the beta phase. :)

Last edited by Erpy on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#2 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:52 pm

Congrats, guys.  I'm very proud of ya.

Bt

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:59 pm

Thanks BT. It's still a tad early for congratulations...there's a hectic time ahead of us. (as you can probably tell from experience) Hopefully, the people we end up picking will make the final few stretches both pleasant and productive.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#4 Post by Gronagor » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:51 pm

Congrats guys. :) That's quite a Christmas surprize, Santa Erpy. :)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:11 pm

Awesomeness.

techie775
Knight Status

#6 Post by techie775 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:34 pm

That's nice to know. Nice Christmas post. Glad you're getting closer to finishing this project. Hope it helps you guys further your careers. Merry Christmas!

natethomas
Peasant Status

Yay!

#7 Post by natethomas » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:03 am

From all of us lurkers to all of you, Merry Christmas!  And Happy New year!

Also, happy all other celebrated solstice holidays, including those of you who celebrate Quanza and the destruction of Zombie Jesus.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#8 Post by Klytos » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:38 pm

Congrats AGDI! Great to hear QFG2 is going beta. That's a huge thing!

I'd offer to help bugtest, but to be honest, I'd just like to play it before everyone else.  :D

Klytos

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:26 pm

Erpy wrote:Thanks BT. It's still a tad early for congratulations...there's a hectic time ahead of us. (as you can probably tell from experience) Hopefully, the people we end up picking will make the final few stretches both pleasant and productive.
Oh, for sure.  It'll be a hectic time - but the time and effort it takes JUST to make it to beta... well, it's something worth congratulating.  I know this game will be extra special.

Bt

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by MacGyver » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:38 pm

Do I need to submit my real name?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:51 pm

I personally prefer that...it's not necessarily what you'll be credited under.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#12 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:12 pm

Yes, we'll need it in case beta testers don't pull their weight. That way, we'll know where to send the hired goons.  :D

Seriously, if you do have a forum name that you're well-known by around here, you should at least include that as an alternative to your real name. It'll help us figure out who's who and what's what.

BeerNutts
Peasant Status

It's finally here, great news...

#13 Post by BeerNutts » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:33 pm

I'm still lurking on these boards, and it's good to see you've taken the next steps towards completion.  I'm very excited about it!

BTW, I submitted my beta app, but didn't include my font.  So look for Will Jennings, and match it to me (Beernutts :)

Good luck!

Frances
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Frances » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:11 pm

Hi Everyone

I thought I should introduce myself so you know who I am as I have just submitted my application. I only stumbled into this site a couple of weeks ago. I had no idea that the old Sierra games were still so alive, I always thought they were, and still are, the best. I had decided to play them all again and had just started Camelot when I found you. So Camelot went on hold while I played KG1, and currently Graham is deciding which realm to choose at the Door of Destiny in KQ2.

Both games are so well done, I especially like all the extra storyline in KQ2, it made it much harder than KQ1 where I found my memory for the puzzles to be pretty good.

Congratulations on producing such stunning remakes.  :D

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#15 Post by DrJones » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:51 pm

Congratulations for the achievement!! :D

I would gladly help, but I've never played QFG II and I prefer not to open the gifts early. I think you'll have plenty of people ready to betatest, so I wish good luck to everyone.

I'll betatest in the rare case you fell short of people, but fortunately I think this won't be the case. :lol

And Happy Fool's Day!! (28 December is Fool's Day here in Spain)

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#16 Post by Fribbi » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:46 am

I would like to help but since I can't play Quest for glory 1 - 2 -3 any longer you will be without my help. I will just wait another year after the game.. :cry  Why is this unlucks always folowing me? :(

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#17 Post by Music Head » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:29 am

I've got the hugest instinct to aply but i'm not going to, not after I learnt from my mistake beta testing KQ3VGA. I just don't have the motivation :( to give an satisfactory reports. I can't wait for the public release tho ;). Congrats on making it to beta guys. I can probably speak for everyone when I say i'm ecstatic :D.

elspanyl
Peasant Status

#18 Post by elspanyl » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:01 am

Fantastic job you guys!  I can't wait!!! :)

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by MacGyver » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:21 am

After much thoughts, same as DrJones, I'd only participate if you're short of beta testers, which is very unlikely. And yeah, thanks for making it Beta :)

Alliance
Knight Status

#20 Post by Alliance » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:49 am

I've sent in a form requesting to beta test this,
Let's get the party started,
I seriously can't wait. I've had vivid dreams of playing this since I was 13. (A bit disturbing, and hey, I'm 17 now!)

daventry
Knight Status

#21 Post by daventry » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:11 am

I also send in a form  :D
Last edited by daventry on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#22 Post by Music Head » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:25 am

daventry wrote:I also send in a Form  :D
Good luck with that grammer. ;)  :p

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#23 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:51 pm

Music Head wrote:
daventry wrote:I also send in a Form  :D
Good luck with that grammer. ;)  :p
Heh.  It's grammar, with an 'a', by the way.  Just a heads up.  Irony is funny!

Now, to all potential testers - remember - it's hard work!  We're counting on you to make the game run smoothly!

Bt

daventry
Knight Status

#24 Post by daventry » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:03 pm

So you play through the Game and check every inch of it so to speak, i can do that.  :hat

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#25 Post by Erpy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:09 pm

Basically, you play through the game and examine every inch of it...which, believe me, is almost a day job in its own right.

Whenever a bug comes up...be it a crash, a glitch where things on the screen are displayed slightly oddly, a thing that's not supposed to happen like Keapon Laffin suddenly not bobbing up and down in place anymore, a message that has two periods at the end instead of one and many other things...you report it, tell us what happened, what you think was supposed to happen and most importantly, you start replaying that exact scenario so you can tell us exactly how to trigger the issue.

Eventually, we release another beta build and may ask you to repeat that process again.