QG2vga number of days question

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

QG2vga number of days question

#1 Post by Billetwound » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:54 am

A thought occured to me earlier, that since i've always done my best to try to beat the games in the least amount of days possible i've never known whether or not any of the original Quest For Glory games ever had like a complete deadline that you have to get done before this day or game over and i was wondering in QG2vga if its set up like you have to finish by like say day 60 or do you have an infinate number of days to do what ever.  I do remember that in quest for glory 1 whenever i was just bored and had time to kill i would just go to that goblin training ground and kill em all leave come back kill em all, repeat and i would get to like day 29 and rush to beat the game because i thought it had a day limit lol. Just wondering.  I can't wait to be able to play QG2VGA, keep up the good work.

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

#2 Post by Jack Sawyer » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:01 am

With regards to most of the other games, I think in one of my more insane iterations when I was younger, I pushed QFG1 to around day 50-60 (or maybe more,  this is along time ago and my memory sucks) simply by killing stuff in the goblin training grounds (resting in between to recover stamina)  I think i started that game with some 300-500 gold :P

I'm pretty sure that in others like 3 and 4, I tended to average at least 30-40 days (quickest) due to my maxing out every single stat skill and spell (and I've generally always ran a fighter with all thief and mage skills and every spell I could finagle.)

QFG2 is different I believe, in that its plot (in the sierra one.) was very linear.  Generally you had the first sixteen or so days before the Caravan and things were tightly scripted (IE the elementals showed up at predictable points, Ali Scurva showed up on X day,  the EOF thing, etc.)   As I recall as well you also had to buy a saurus from Ali Fakir before he left  (or risk losing the game.)

The Caravan IIRC took about a week or so.   You then have a day or two in Raseir before you go off to the endgame with Ad Avis.

I dunno anything about how AGDI handled it, but I'd imagine its the same.  The timeframe was pretty integral to how the game worked.  

(It also represented the one game where I actually planned every detail out in advance.   I usually earned around 1500-2000 Dinars by the end of the game.. man was THAT ever a waste! :P)

techie775
Knight Status

#3 Post by techie775 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:08 am

Well I have Hero's Quest (ega QFG1) And before I ever beat it I eventually maxed out all my skills and was well over 100 days. Gets quite boring. I don't think there is a time limit which in my opinion was much more enjoyable than the 16 day rush in qfg2. All cuz I didn't know how to climb the table when the three stooges brigands came in the dining room.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:47 am

Like the original, QFG2VGA gives you 16 days in Shapeir, then 2 days in Raseir plus the endgame sequence. No more and no less.

qwweee
Peasant Status

#5 Post by qwweee » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:34 pm

it took me 10 - 20 days to max everything in qfg1VGA, exept for climbing, i did it in the bandit camp few days before i finished the game and the rest i just collect as much as gold as possible from mushrooms (so i will have enough for the entire QFG series).

do i have enough time to get all stats maxed in qfg2VGA ?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:18 pm

If you play the right way, 16 days should be enough.

Ben Dover
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Ben Dover » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:12 am

Btw, will it be possible to actually max out every skill? In the original there were a few stats I never could max, and that kinda bugged me...

arganite
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by arganite » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:52 am

Ben Dover wrote:Btw, will it be possible to actually max out every skill? In the original there were a few stats I never could max, and that kinda bugged me...
Yes it is actually. It took me a little while to figure it out, but here it is:

Playing as a thief (In order to have something of everything, you can change his profession for game 2).

Lock picking - one of the two skills you cant seem to max out. Nose picking and normal doors seem to take you to 91 or so. What you do is: Pick the locks on the other doors in Spielburg. Save your game first, as it is quite easy to get caught (And you will, no more then 3 times per door. The doors you can do are: Adventures guild, Bakers, Butcher, Carpenter(?), and I think the shop next to the apple seller.

Climbing - You need to climb the brigand's wall continuously. Takes awhile, but you get to 100 in the end.

techie775
Knight Status

#9 Post by techie775 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:03 pm

Lock picking - one of the two skills you cant seem to max out. Nose picking and normal doors seem to take you to 91 or so. What you do is: Pick the locks on the other doors in Spielburg. Save your game first, as it is quite easy to get caught (And you will, no more then 3 times per door. The doors you can do are: Adventures guild, Bakers, Butcher, Carpenter(?), and I think the shop next to the apple seller.
Actually there's an another way to increase the lp skill. The Healer's Cottage. No one catches you and you can do it anytime of the day(I think). I don't think it maxes it out but it goes a long way.

wickedthistle
Peasant Status

#10 Post by wickedthistle » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:15 pm

There are even more places...I had to look up my own walkthrough to remember all of this. There are some spoilers, here, so be forewarned  :rollin

[spoiler]Picking your nose and locks in stealth mode, picking locks at the healer's, town, the rock near the antwerp, Henry's, the Baron's, and the fox trap.[/spoiler]

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#11 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:28 pm

Healer and nose both max out at 93 I always used the general goods door after that.

haradan
Knight Status

#12 Post by haradan » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:57 am

Ben Dover wrote:
Btw, will it be possible to actually max out every skill? In the original there were a few stats I never could max, and that kinda bugged me...
Hmm, I think he was referring to QFG2, not QFG1. It was impossible to max climbing and throwing was pretty difficult as well.

The AGDs have stated that it will be possible to max all skills in the remake.

wickedthistle
Peasant Status

#13 Post by wickedthistle » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:06 am

Hm...as you move higher and higher in levels, it's more difficult to get just one point. Other than advising that you stay patient and keep trying for multiple (game) days, I'm not really sure what to say about it. I haven't heard of any bugs that would cause the points to max out like that - sorry.

Ibanezrg82
Knight Status

#14 Post by Ibanezrg82 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:14 am

I only maxed my skills in QFG1EGA.
It is easier with keyboard and only takes a month.
The drawback is all of the games are easy after that.

Do not treat any QFG like a Final Fantasy.
It completely ruins the experience.
The arcade is easy already.
In my book, the trick to a fun QFG game month is playing on high difficulty, only worry about the skills that apply to your class.

My favorite is Mage, starting in QFG1.

Oh yeah, if all else fails drink Razzle Dazzle Root Beer, and Suck Blue Frog. Use control keys and bring your hero to godly status.

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by Jack Sawyer » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:33 pm

You CAN max out all stats in QFG1 but its very time consuming.  One of my strategies in the first game was to always give my characters every skill of "1" - it was a pain in the ass in the sense that it required me to practice extra-hard to develop them all equally but it could be done.  (In the past I've managed to get the healer's ring, get into the thieve's guild, and rob both houses in one day/night using my fighter that startted out with 1 Lockpick and 1 stealth.)  

Frankly luck has always been one of the stats I've found the hardest to raise, even with my obsessive in-game training regimen :P

[spoiler]In addition to the nosepicking for lockpicks, I always snuck everywhere to improve stealth.   I found at some point the ability to avoid monsters was useful both to preserve my character at lower levels as well as avoid annoying/repeated encounters when traveling.)  Climbing I mainly maxed out via the combination of the ledge at the Falls the Town/Castel walls, and that Tree outside the Healer's.)[/quote]

I managed to max virtually every stat in QFG2 as well (save climbing) by virtue of efficient usage of time.  [spoiler]Judicious use of pills can be a marvelous time saver when training, especially mana and vigour pills.  Prior to going to Raseir I typically focused on maxing my combat skills by fighting in the desert at night and training with Uhura during the day.  I focused on offense first, then focused on parry/dodge.  After that, I tended to balance between lockpicks, spellcasting, throwing, communication and honour.  Bargaining flowers and then giving them to female chars like Shema helped raise honor, as did giving money to the beggar or musiician - my nightly combat forays as well as my large initial quantity of gold gave me no financail worries.

I found that in practicing ~100-150 mana pills can more than cover the spell-maxing bit,  depending on y our starting skill levels.   50 or so vigour pills can cover most of my fighting needs, supplemented with hour long resting for physical exertions.  I did make sure I replenished to 40-50 for Raseir to facilitate practice.)  And of course, I snuck EVERYWHERE.
Often I found one of the more useful places to "practice" throwing lockpicking and spells was Raseir, sincee you had such a bloody long time to wait for things to happen.  I was often able to max out everything save climbing by the time I was arrested.)

Of course, I never stole anything in QFG2 or did the dishonest stuff cuz I wanted to be a Paladin, but at time the climbing and lockpicks have come in handy[/spoiler]

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by Jack Sawyer » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Ibanezrg82 wrote:I only maxed my skills in QFG1EGA.
Depends on your ability at arcade.  Mine kinda sucks, and it hasnt gotten better as I got older, ,so the stat boosts helped (like with Fred :P )  Moreover there have been times because of laziness or foolishness I nearly got screwed over and was saved by my stat maxing even in "later" games.  It really always depends on how you play (though I do admit QFG2 was easy combat wise, and QFG3 could be so too.)

Oh yeah, if all else fails drink Razzle Dazzle Root Beer, and Suck Blue Frog. Use control keys and bring your hero to godly status.
I never used those originally but I toyed with them for fun in my last playthrough.  [spoiler]
The thing you have to know for that is, its not a permanant upgrade.  Any time your skills "improve"  the modified stat via cheat will be replaced by the original value. This will happen even with maxed-out stats.

A good way to abuse that though in QFG2 was to artifiically max all your stats to 250 (as you could with wishes) before importing your character to QFG3+  If they weren't "reset" by an improvement, the modified stats do carry over permanantly[/spoiler]

arganite
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by arganite » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:06 am

Ibanezrg82 wrote:I only maxed my skills in QFG1EGA.

Do not treat any QFG like a Final Fantasy.
It completely ruins the experience.
The arcade is easy already.
In my book, the trick to a fun QFG game month is playing on high difficulty, only worry about the skills that apply to your class.

My favorite is Mage, starting in QFG1.

QFG 5 was difficult with minimal stats...

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Difficulty

#18 Post by Brainiac » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:21 am

arganite wrote:QFG 5 was difficult with minimal stats...
That is true, mostly due to QfG5 being an RPG with adventure elements rather than an adventure with RPG elements (as the prior four were).

Ibanezrg82
Knight Status

#19 Post by Ibanezrg82 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:56 am

QFG5 was a good game.

I was sorry to see the series go out with a sub-par plot and story.

Get the Coles on the phone!!!!

There is a debate in a thread about donations to projects here
Maybe they would accept donations!  :lol