Beta testing has started

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

daventry
Knight Status

#26 Post by daventry » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:47 pm

I'll do it, im so bored these days that i'll do it. 8o

If i do find a problam, how do i report it, do i put the problem here on the Board in a Thread. :\

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#27 Post by Erpy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:06 pm

We have about 140 entries right now and I'm kinda expecting that amount to keep going up for some time. Once we've closed the application phase and made our choice, those people will be invited into a private forum we make and instructed. Those who were not chosen will have to wait until the final game is released. (although that one will most likely be a lot more stable)

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#28 Post by Music Head » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:11 am

haha so tru BT, i'm the first to admit my typing is teh sucks :P.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#29 Post by Kurdt » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:39 am

Tons of congrats to you guys on making it this far. From what I've seen and heard, this is going to be an amazing accomplishment and one of the best games AGS has to offer. BETA, BABY, BETA!!! Keep up the awesome work.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#30 Post by Fribbi » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:51 pm

I thougth you were going to use the same beta testers who tested out Al Emmo and the King Quest 1 and 2 for you.  :D Well I'm not going to protest that because I think more people would be more happier to test the QG2 VGA now. But I'm curious now. Did you actually wait for that day 25 December so you could finally start to announce for the beta test? :hat

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#31 Post by Erpy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:16 pm

Well, those who tested for us before are welcome to apply again, but just because someone had time to beta test before doesn't mean they have time to test for us now. People's schedules change over time.

And we made the announcement on the 25th deliberately as we were fairly sure we'd be able to get a beta version ready for the applicants upon the closing of the recruitment phase.

daventry
Knight Status

#32 Post by daventry » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:48 pm

When does the Beta testing start

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#33 Post by Gronagor » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:17 pm

Erpy wrote:... we were fairly sure we'd be able to get a beta version ready for the applicants upon the closing of the recruitment phase.
Probably with the closing of the recruitment phase. :)

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#34 Post by Klytos » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:00 am

Damn it Gron, that's what I was going to say!  :lol

Zahmatra(n)
Peasant Status

#35 Post by Zahmatra(n) » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:59 am

And when will the recruitment phase close?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#36 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:08 am

Right before beta testing starts. ;)

greensenshi
Knight Status

#37 Post by greensenshi » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:56 am

*ponder*  Are you trying to say "stop asking"?  Hmm...

^_^

wickedthistle
Peasant Status

#38 Post by wickedthistle » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:38 pm

Congrats! I'm SO happy that you've been able to go beta, woo hoo! :rollin

As Erpy mentions above, people's schedules change. I've worked with them before as a last wave beta tester and this is THE game I've wanted to test since it had been announced a while back. The QFG series is my absolute favorite. However, I have a doctoral dissertation to work on, so I'm just hoping to play the final game during a vacation break instead.

But seriously, Music Head is right. The beta process is very important, involved process. A good tester will have the time to stay motivated through a lot of gameplay. You really have to love playing games, and have an eye for detail. Or in my case, those plus the ability to crash or cause play issues. :evil

I found out that it was a very fun process that also taught me a lot about how much work an effort is put into making these games absolutely perfect for players. This team is phenomenally dedicated and hard-working; if you're the same, you'll be well rewarded by the experience.  :D

NeoDraven
Peasant Status

#39 Post by NeoDraven » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:50 am

Same here, Michelle. I was part of the first wave of testers of Al Emmo, and got to see what it meant to REALLY try to break a game. I've had benders on certain games; I stayed up until 8am one Friday night/Saturday morning when I was 10 years old, trying to beat The Legend of Zelda in a single sitting, without saving. It's harder when you're ten. I could probably speedrun it in under two hours now.

Add my congrats to the list; I've seen 3 of your offerings so far, and also am anticipating this one more than any other game that's due to come out in '08.

I mean, hell... what other game in my entire life have I waited 6 years for?

That's the time it takes to go from being 10 years old, staying up all night to play Zelda, to being 16 years old and having a driver's license, keeping the car out all night.

Putting it in that perspective, the kids that lined up for Harry Potter, and the Star Wars/Lord of the Rings geeks... they have nothing on us.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#40 Post by Fribbi » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:19 pm

I guess AGDInteractive team are now working on the two secret games while their beta testers are working on the QG2 VGA game for them.

I hope the Trial by fire game will come out in summer.  :D

How long did it take for Al Emmo and King Quest games to be beta tested? Which game of yours has still the reckord for the shortest time in beta test and the longest.  :hat Well I hope the beta testers will beat that reckord and finally I just want to say good luck to the beta testers.

To all Beta Testers

Don't forget you are suppose to try out the game, so do not play the game without giving full reports about the error of the game.
And Good luck and have fun with the game!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#41 Post by Erpy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:51 pm

LOL...I wish beta testing involved the testers doing everything and us doing nothing. Often, it's even more stressful for us, since we have to fix everything the testers report.

I'm not sure about KQ1VGA...it probably took like 2 months or so. KQ2VGA took about 4. I hope QFG2VGA isn't going to take that much longer.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#42 Post by Klytos » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:08 am

I kinda pity you guys having to fix bugs in QFG2. I know it's probably fairly stable already, but with all the various integers that you must have used, plus the complexity of the storyline coupled with being able to play it as three separate characters. Wow. Just finding the bugs is going to be a challenge.

Here's to not me doing it!

Shalkar
Peasant Status

Hi

#43 Post by Shalkar » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:04 am

I estimate this release will be done in say December of 2008. It will make a wonderful Christmas present. The season for giving :). Just kidding  :rollin  Maybe in June of this year.

I wish everyone here luck at this project. Happy new year :)

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#44 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:18 am

I'm extremely thorough whenever I do playthroughs of the game, because I test it the same way that I'd expect the ideal beta tester to.

The reason we've been in the alpha stage for so long is because there have still been bugs present in the source that we've known about, and the idea of releasing a beta (to me at least) is so I personally can't find anymore bugs in the game. Why allow the beta testers to report things we already know about? That would be wasting both their time and ours. As far as I know, I'm releasing a bug-free version game for the beta testers to try and break. If they find something, it's interesting to see exactly what that is, because it means it must have slipped past my own rigorous testing phases.

In short, yeah, this means the game's pretty stable right now, but there are still some obscure bugs that we're aware of and have never been able to track down. Hopefully feedback from the beta testers will help to root these out and zap them for good.

Other tasks beta testers will be required to focus on are thoroughly testing the points scoring system with all classes, in all different ways. Testing the combat system, and testing the... well, I can't reveal that one just yet. ;) Suffice it to say, that to be a potential beta tester, you should be thinking in terms of repeating actions a great many times over and watching for little numbers to change on the scorebar; restoring and then trying all again another way.  Or trying to break the combat system, then noting down a bunch of variables to report back to us, along with an exact description of what they were doing at the time.

Testing this game will require a lot of commitment, so here's hoping we get saddled with reliable testers! You'll all get to play the game sooner if we do.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#45 Post by Fribbi » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:50 am

Even when the King Quest 1 and 2 games was fully besta tested and released some people was still reporting that they are having problem with that game and found some more error wich your beta testers didn't found from that game like I did when I found the error from King Quest 2 about the cloak error.
:rolleyes

So I will just wait for the game like everybody because I can't test it because I can't install those games since I got no floppies wich I have told you about before :cry ..But I am pretty sure I can find more error wich the beta testers didn't found before when it will be finally released. :p  

PS: I guess you will very busy when you will be answering a lots of e-mails , with a lots of error reports hehe.   :lol

Trial by fire are much longer game than King Quest so I guess I have to wait in about half year now after game.

....oh why not?, I have waited so long after this so fill me in in beta testers list  I' want to try it out too. I have very keen eye if you haven't forgot.

But I let you choose of course if you want me to test it out. I have played the game in so many times and the game stay still very fresh in my memory so I know everything what I'm suppose to do in the game. I have played the game with all the characters ranks Fighter, Wizard and the Thief in so many times.

And about the score points reckords that will be no problem since I know about walkthrough website wich has very good scorepoint list so this will be no problem. The only problem wich I can't test out is  of course be the dialog texts I can't compare them to the original game. But everything else will be no problem.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#46 Post by Fribbi » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:20 am

Ok I have submit myself on the Beta Testers list. I hope it worked. :)
It will be my honor to do it for you.  I'm not just your fan I'm your also your hero from the Iceland as you know.

gandri25
Peasant Status

#47 Post by gandri25 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:54 am

Hey happy to see ya going beta cant wait for the release to play it

GO AGDI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Dee
Peasant Status

#48 Post by Dee » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:57 pm

ive sent mine in too.

Great job guys, ill bet it was worth the wait

Dee

khoodandco
Peasant Status

#49 Post by khoodandco » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:26 pm

I'm very excited to see that the project is this far along. Congratulations to the team, and thank you for all your hard work!

--And if I end up beta testing, thanks for that too! :)

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#50 Post by jpnuar1 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:26 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Testing the combat system, and testing the... well, I can't reveal that one just yet. ;)
Huh? Now you've gotten me all intrigued. Is this secret something we won't even know about when you release the game? Or once you're done beta testing, is it something that you can come out and tell us?