Beta testing has started

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#76 Post by Kurdt » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:05 pm

Aw, Erpy, you shouldn't have! You know I always love cameos!

:p

johniemi
Peasant Status

#77 Post by johniemi » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:06 pm

PICK ME PICK ME!!! :) I submitted my beta-tester application a few days ago, just asking now when do you think you are choosing the b-testers? Every time I check my email I'm hoping to receive a reply from you... I've been waiting this game for so long that even playing and testing a beta version would probably be thrilling.

Anyway, even if I don't get chosen, I'm still more than happy to see this game finally being close to release.

EDIT: But still, you should pick me.

:p

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#78 Post by MacGyver » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:21 pm

Hmmmmmmmmm from my past experience on the Internet, pesterers normally don't get anything

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#79 Post by Erpy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:31 pm

Upcoming tuesday I believe it'll be 3 weeks since we've made the announcement. That's probably the time we'll start considering closing the applications and look into the applicants a little closer.

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#80 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:57 am

Erpy wrote:Hi.

If we end up picking you, there'll be an opportunity to decide what we refer you to and what you'll be credited under. If you're not picked then it's all a moot point anyhow.

calling that a moot point kinda a little harsh wouldn't it?
Well anyway... I'll be waiting here till the time comes. :D

@Fribbi: Just for curiousity, what do you mean by working on SQ1 VGA in icelandic? Are you doing it all over or just fan-translation out of it?

johniemi
Peasant Status

#81 Post by johniemi » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:24 am

MacGyver wrote:Hmmmmmmmmm from my past experience on the Internet, pesterers normally don't get anything
And from my past experience of live, persistence gets you far :) Call my behavior what you will, I'm just happy to see the game finally being released.

Jack Sawyer
Royal Servant Status

#82 Post by Jack Sawyer » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:44 am

I knew about this for about a week or two, and I planned to apply, but I dont think my schedule will permit me to, so I will take a pass - I don't want to commit to something I can't be certain on.

I do want to wish all of you at AGDI congratulations on reaching this benchmark.  You're that much closer to finishing (and the end of hearing "is it done yet?")   I wish you (and those beta testing it) all the best of luck in the process and the hopes that you find few mistakes!)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#83 Post by Erpy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:30 pm

Okay, it's been three weeks and we have received slightly over 300 applications. That should be more than enough for now. :)  The application phase is hereby officially closed. Time to start sifting through everything a little more thoroughly.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#84 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:05 pm

hee hee, every time I hear the word sifting I think of sand for some reason. Although in this case it was finally funny to me.

NeoDraven
Peasant Status

#85 Post by NeoDraven » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:18 pm

Wow, 300 applicants? How does that stack up compared to the volunteers for Al Emmo? I know there was a bunch of people that applied then, too.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#86 Post by Erpy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:44 pm

About 360 or so.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#87 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:04 am

Except this time we had an automated program to take the applications and list them all for us. With Al Emmo and all the games before that, all the applications were emailed and then compiled into a manageable list. Quite a task.

Still a big task, but at least it is easier... :)

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#88 Post by Fribbi » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:05 pm

Upcoming tuesday I believe it'll be 3 weeks since we've made the announcement. That's probably the time we'll start considering closing the applications and look into the applicants a little closer.
I guess you will make the big announcement on the end of this month then who got the Beta Test task hehe. :D

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#89 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:57 pm

I think it will take more than aweek to go through all that.

Chief
Knight Status

#90 Post by Chief » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:13 am

Wooo hoooooo!  just had to say congrats on this phase and good luck to everyone.. i was just thinking of this game today and saw this, after not being on here for a while.

this game is gonna rule!!!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#91 Post by Erpy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:19 pm

Well, I've just sent out the emails to the chosen ones. The process of narrowing all the applicants down was pretty darn difficult.

To the ones who were picked...congratulations. :D

To the ones who sent out an application but weren't chosen...thank you for taking the time to fill in your application and volunteering to help us out. You have our word that we will do everything within our power to deliver the final version of the game to you and the rest of the public as soon as we can. :)

NeoDraven
Peasant Status

#92 Post by NeoDraven » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:22 pm

Congratulations to all those selected! The long wait is almost over.

It astonishes me to think; when I first discovered this website, it was 5 months before 9/11. I was still playing PSOne games with no dual analog controller, DVD players were still $200 and Windows XP hadn't even been released yet. Broadband was scarce, there was no such thing as an iPod, and a 40GB hard drive for your home PC was ginormous.  

I guess the wait makes sense, put in that perspective.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#93 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:00 pm

Oh, man!  Don't remind me how long it's taken. When you put it in those terms, it seems like forever ago.

Congrats to everyone who was selected. Now, Ten Hut! You will get in line! You will address me as SIR! If you so much as blink at me funny... eh, welcome to the joy that is beta testing.  :lol

TheBlueFrog
Peasant Status

I've got a golden ticket!

#94 Post by TheBlueFrog » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:05 am

Intial wave beta tester here!  Please feel free to to post your jealous rants...

One of ten, I believe, out of 300+ applicants...I am flattered.

Chief
Knight Status

#95 Post by Chief » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:19 am

can we confirm from the developers:  how many beta testers are there total and what was the reasoning behind the decision?

thanks,

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#96 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:48 am

There were exactly 306 applicants in total and 30 beta testers were selected, based on various factors. Only the first 20 or so testers have been notified so far. The last 10 will only be notified if we feel that a 3rd wave of testing will be required.

As for the decision-making process, some applicants knew the points and scoring system inside-out when it just so happened that we needed people to double-check that all points have been implemented correctly for all three classes. Others were selected based on their familiarity with the original game, their skills with spelling and grammar, and other things that complimented the skills of other beta testers we had already chosen. We wanted to get a balanced set of testers with different specialties, who could test a wide variety of things.

These choices are always difficult because there are many people who seem like great candidates with excellent attention to detail who we weren't able to bring on board, due to the fact that we already had enough testers who specialized in the same area.

Finally, we also looked for people who could commit to at least 2 hours (preferably more) of thorough testing time per day.  Judging from personal experience, this game takes quite a long time to play through and anything less than 2 hours wouldn't really yield the kind of progress or results needed to find the remaining bugs and get the game released within a reasonable amount of time. Yup, we're 100% serious when we mentioned these beta testers will have their work cut out for them. :)

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#97 Post by Gronagor » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:55 am

Hmmm... interesting question.

I guess if it was me, I would have tried to cover most of the spectrum. Profiles: Hardware, Operating system versions, age of player, knowledge of the game (from little to extensive) etc etc.

For myself, I'd say my chances are very slim. They'll probably choose one person from around the 30s, with an average P4 computer with XP SP2, and good knowledge of the game.

That description fits about a 1000 of the visitors to this forum.

haradan
Knight Status

#98 Post by haradan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:48 am

I can't believe this, I leave for a month or so and when I come back you already started and finished the beta testers selection!  :\  Sigh...

Well, congratulations anyway, the grand finale of this game-making epic is obviously coming near, you should feel very proud. I'll be waiting for the game to come out.

And to all of you lucky (or maybe not so) beta testers: you have a great responsability on your shoulders, so get to work! Cheers.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#99 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:53 pm

That's what you get for giving up on waiting :D. The ones who still believed got lucky!

j/k

NeoDraven
Peasant Status

#100 Post by NeoDraven » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:26 pm

The secret to being selected as a beta tester (for me, anyway) was large, generous bribes, alternating with thinly veiled, malevolent threats and intermittent stalking episodes.

I found where AGD1's, AGD2's, navynuke04's and Erpy's houses were, went there in the middle of the night with an acoustic guitar, bawled a drunken, loud, angry, emo-inspired version of "Mmm Bop" to each of them, and left a flaming bag on their front doorsteps. The whole 'stick-and-carrot' mentality.  

Maybe submitting an application would have been easier, but I prefer my method.