Insulting Ferrari

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

Insulting Ferrari

#1 Post by Renodox » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:31 am

Something just occured to me.  In the original Quest for Glory 2, insulting Ferrari so that he won't tell you not to go out at night seemed to be a totally random thing.  Will you be fixing that?  Or was there always something that guaranteed he'd distrust you?

greensenshi
Knight Status

#2 Post by greensenshi » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:46 am

I've never tried it and I always thought insulting the guy resulted in death.

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by Renodox » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:09 pm

That depends on how you insult him.  If you refuse to sit down and talk with him, or refuse to have a drink with him (meaning you order water or just don't order anything) that'll result in your death.  Strangely, if you refuse to drink AFTER you order it, he won't kill you.

What I'm referring to is his refusal to tell you that it's against the law to go outside after dark.  That is a death that I've dealt with time and time again but it always seemed random.  I was just wondering if the remake will have a more defined way of getting this to happen, if its there at all, or if there's a defined way in the original, and if so, what is it?

techie775
Knight Status

#4 Post by techie775 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:15 pm

Well I thought I played the what if game  on everything in qfg2 but I didn't know your drink selection mattered.  I know it depended on your conversation skill. Now I gotta try it and see what happens when you order water. There seems to be alot of ways you can piss off ferrari. What cracks me up is when you do everything he says to do with the bird, he still does nothing to help you avoid getting arrested.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#5 Post by Paladinlover » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:33 am

Well I thought I played the what if game  on everything in qfg2 but I didn't know your drink selection mattered.  I know it depended on your conversation skill. Now I gotta try it and see what happens when you order water. There seems to be alot of ways you can piss off ferrari. What cracks me up is when you do everything he says to do with the bird, he still does nothing to help you avoid getting arrested.
Actually there's nothing much he can do to prevent you from being arrested. The order for arrest came from Ad Avis (or Khaveen or whatever) and even Ferrari, with all his influence, can't do anything. Also the selection of drinks didn't matter, it was just whether or not you order one to begin with. Ordering, but not drinking, actually seems to impress Ferrari in some way (he's more convienced that you're dangerous).

Till next time stay cool  :smokin

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#6 Post by Boogeyman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:11 am

The order for arrest would have come from Khaveen, he effectively rules the city.

techie775
Knight Status

#7 Post by techie775 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:56 pm

Well I figured out that the arrest was ad avis' doing, I just wondered why Ferrari didn't do a thing to help you or warn you about your arrest. He just sit s there and gives you the cold shoulder. That's a thank you for stealing the black bird. But he was probably look out for number one I guess.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#8 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:15 pm

To answer the original question, the SCI game's script is most likely buggy. What I believe *should* happen is that you'll get the "Persona non Grata" death message if you attempt to leave the Blue Parrot at night after Ferrari has asked you to sit down. While, if you attempt to leave during the daylight hours after Ferrari has asked you to sit, you'll receive the "You took too long" death message instead.

This is how it's currently set to work in the remake.

And yeah, Ferrari's not your friend in Raseir, even if you did steal the blackbird for him. He was just using the hero to his own advantage.  Ferrari doesn't even care much that Ugarte was arrested by Khaveen either. Besides, it's in Ferrari's best interests not to have the hero attempting to Restore Raseir back to normal, since Ferrari seeks business opportunities from the misfortune there. Not intervening in the hero's arrest fits his character perfectly.

Shaminar
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Shaminar » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:59 am

Isnt Ferrari a friend of yours in Silmaria though?

When Ugarte was arrested by Khaveen. I asked Ferrari about it and he told me the arrest was 'staged' by Khaveen to remind you he doesnt like heros and Ugarte isnt in any real danger.

He may not have been a friend in Rasier (having only just met you) but I think he admires your skills and becomes a friend in Silmaria.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#10 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:19 am

I don't think the Coles planned that far ahead. At the time of QFG2's development in 1990, they probably didn't even know that Ferrari was going to be in QFG5. I think his appearance in Silmaria was more or less based on fan input, rather than foresight and pre-planning in the game design.

In QFG2, Ferrari doesn't say that Ugarte's arrest was staged; he says that it was a performance put on for the hero's benefit.  Khaveen had known about Ugarte's water smuggling for a long time, and he carefully arranged the timing of Ugarte's arrest so that the hero would witness it, making an example out of the fall guy. Just ask Ferrari about "performance" after the arrest scene. We don't actually find out that Ugarte survived his arrest until QFG5 (again, I don't think this was planned that far in advance, so presumably Ugarte was freed from the Dungeon after the hero restored Raseir).

As for Ferrari, he's more like a "frenemy" than anything else. He'll rub the hero the right way if he thinks he can benefit. But if the hero places himself in danger, he says "I shall know nothing of your actions", effectively disassociating himself. Ferrari's loyalties are to himself.