It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Missing Files
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:00 pm 
Peasant Status

I dont know if I am in the right place but here goes:    I currently have the original King's Quest 1: Quest for the Crown , 2(two) 5.25" disk set and disk 1 works fine but when the game ask for disk 2 I insert the disk and the game tell me "Wrong disk" need to know if and where i can aquire a copy of disk two(2). Also have KQ2: Romancing the Throne, (same size disk: 5.25",  Disk 1 does not work properly need new copy. Any help would be appreicated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:24 pm 
Forum Administrator

No, I'm afraid we're only responsible for the VGA versions of KQ1 and KQ2 and those are the only ones we can offer support for.

May I suggest you try it at Sierra/Vivendi's game forums?

VU's KQ forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:10 am 
Royal Servant Status

Think I can help explain this:

Back then Sierra diskettes must have the write protection tab closed and if you accidentally remove the protection tab then it would render the diskettes useless.

The only way to restore the data was by using crack programs to eliminate the protection on the diskettes. I've tried these programs back in early 90's.
Of course the AGI version of KQ1 & KQ2 was specially stored in unknown sector (I think it's the boot sector, but I could be wrong) and so it cannot be read by normal DIR command. Btw, I had the Apple version but it works on my 8086 back then.

Other than that, you could just download the games from internet since it was so small anyway and finding the crack was not worth the trouble. :lol:

Btw, I'm still surprised that you still kept the 5,25" disk drive. I still kept mine stored on shelves but it was already broken.  :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:20 pm 
Peasant Status

I always found that a tiny square of packing tape on each side of where the copy protection tab should go fixed that particular problem.