New Interview of the Coles: New Games

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Joseph Howse
Peasant Status

New Interview of the Coles: New Games

#1 Post by Joseph Howse » Mon May 26, 2008 10:42 am

Hi everyone,

A new interview of the Coles has just been published in Strange Horizons, an online magazine for which I'm an editor.  Here is the direct link to the interview:

http://www.strangehorizons.com/2008/200 ... se-a.shtml

The interview contains information on the Coles' upcoming games, including one that is set in Glorianna.

(I pre-announced this interview in another thread but I thought I would also mention it here.)

Thanks!

Joseph

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#2 Post by Gronagor » Mon May 26, 2008 1:11 pm

Thanks Joseph. Good read. :) Not really anything new, but still interesting to read.

Interesting... So, Mishell and Lori decided to drop the novel series and going with one book?? And why 'By the book'. Ok, I get why it could be used, but there must be better names, surely?!?!

Hehe! Surely the author didn't believe that an RPG is more difficult to create than a QfG-game!! That's just silly!!  :lol

Joseph Howse
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Joseph Howse » Mon May 26, 2008 2:47 pm

Thanks Joseph. Good read. :)
Thanks for checking it out, Gronagor!  :)
Not really anything new, but still interesting to read.
Well, in terms of the questions I chose, the interview was mostly intended to yield fresh perspectives on game development, rather than news announcements per se.  However, the information on the text adventure game the Coles are developing is new.  (They just announced this project on their website this month, and haven't previously covered it in depth in an interview.)  All the commentary by Michael Cole is new, as he's never been interviewed before.  And many of Lori and Corey's ideas are updated or put in new contexts.
So, Mishell and Lori decided to drop the novel series and going with one book??
Lori and Mishell are still planning to do the series of novels, but the first one has not yet been accepted for publication.
Surely the author didn't believe that an RPG is more difficult to create than a QfG-game!! That's just silly!!  :lol
I'm not sure I understand.  :|  Maybe you're referring to the question where I said the QfG series "has very different (and seemingly simpler) game mechanics than D&D or WoW."  What I meant there is that the QfG game mechanics might seem simpler from the player's perspective (fewer decisions about which skills to acquire, which attacks to employ, etc.).  Anyway, Corey had an interesting answer about that.

Thanks for your interest, and your comments!

Joseph

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#4 Post by Gronagor » Tue May 27, 2008 1:24 pm

Joseph Howse wrote:What I meant there is that the QfG game mechanics might seem simpler from the player's perspective (fewer decisions about which skills to acquire, which attacks to employ, etc.).  Anyway, Corey had an interesting answer about that.

Joseph
Ah! Ok. :) Makes sense.

I take it you'll be interviewing them again after the QfG2VGA release? :) From what I understand there will be a number of things (small things) included which they originally intended. Would be interesting to hear their 'ex-director's play-by-play'. :P

Joseph Howse
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Joseph Howse » Wed May 28, 2008 10:49 am

Gronagor wrote:I take it you'll be interviewing them again after the QfG2VGA release? :) From what I understand there will be a number of things (small things) included which they originally intended. Would be interesting to hear their 'ex-director's play-by-play'. :P
We haven't made any plans for another interview.  But I can see that "ex-director" commentary by Lori and Corey on QfG2VGA would be interesting to the AGDs and this community.  Do the AGDs plan to invite feedback from the Coles?

Joseph

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#6 Post by Gronagor » Wed May 28, 2008 12:28 pm

Well... If I recall correctly, they've talked to the Coles on many occasions. Wasn't there something about them actually visiting Lori at one point? Would have checked the old journal entries if I weren't so lazy.  :p

I'm pretty sure Lori would be interested in playing the game.
She always showed interest in the Hero6 work.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Brainiac » Wed May 28, 2008 8:34 pm

Gronagor wrote:Well... If I recall correctly, they've talked to the Coles on many occasions. Wasn't there something about them actually visiting Lori at one point? Would have checked the old journal entries if I weren't so lazy.  :p
Actually, they spoke with both of the Coles.  The Designer Journal entry from June 1st, 2005 is the one you want to look at.

Actually, I'd kind of be interested on Michael Cole's opinion on AGDI's final product.  He's in the unique position of understanding the thinking process of the original developers (and game design in general) without actually having been one.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Wed May 28, 2008 9:17 pm

Yeah, we've spoken with the Coles a few times and met both of them in person. Looking back at the sorry state the game was in stability-wise, I'm somewhat embarrassed. That said, they seemed to like what they saw. And we read some pretty cool stuff in the design documents while we were there.

Joseph Howse
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Joseph Howse » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:42 pm

Hi everyone,

A brief update on the "New Games" part of this topic:

"Corey and Lori's School for Heroes Blog" is now online here:

http://www.malinche.net/schoolforheroes/schoolblog.html

Thanks,

Joseph

Allergic to Katta
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Allergic to Katta » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:59 pm