Some questions for the programmers of Qfg2New

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

AusME
Peasant Status

Some questions for the programmers of Qfg2New

#1 Post by AusME » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:57 pm

I just started Qfg2 in raw Windows XP. To my surprise it worked flawlessly (I only played for about 5 minutes). But during this time I realized that the character I started with only had Leather Armor. I then went to Issur to see if I could fix that. I could not, he was not willing to sell his mail. So, I thought maybe only Fighters would have chain mail. So, I restarted the game and imported a custom character from Quest for Glory One old -- A theif. This character had chain in QFG1old and when imported had chain in QFG2old. So, my question for you, programmers of the new game is: Does chain or leather really make a difference? If so? Why isn't it buyable?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:06 pm

Chainmail armour does make a difference, in that it provides greater protection during battle. But just like the EGA version, only a fighter base-class character (imported or new) will start the remake with chain mail armour.

Wizards and Thieves will both always be equipped with the leather jerkin instead. Chain mail weighs a lot more than leather too.

AusME
Peasant Status

Another question

#3 Post by AusME » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:26 pm

Thank you for your quick reply. Even though I've already smoozed you and your co-workers in other forum messages I thought I'd do it here too. Thank you for the work you do. Oh, and I can't say Kings Quest like Games like Al Emmo are games I like but I had to buy your game to show my support. Keep going, please!

Now, onto another question. One of the things that frustrated me about Quest for Glory One New and a few of its sequels is the difficulty associated with practicing skills due to interface limitations. I think that Quest for Glory 4 did an Excelent job with this. IE, Quest for Glory 4 kept the cross hairs on the screen even after the spell was completed. I think this helped reduce carpel tunnel in the perfectionists out there. (Ya, I am one..) Will your version of QFG2 include similar interface improvements?

Please forgive me if this has already been answered. I lurk a lot but don't always get around to reading each topic in the forums.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:25 pm

Yes, targetted spells remain in crosshair mode and there's also a hotkey for re-casting the last non-targetted spell.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#5 Post by Solarkid » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:00 pm

A hotkey? wow thats actually really handy, any other hotkey commands on the table for this game?

Dave

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:38 pm

Beyond that, merely the usual ones...CTRL-S for the char sheet, CTRL-T for the time of day, CTRL-R for the map and CTRL-H for the compass.

Stormrend
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Stormrend » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:48 am

Just stumbled onto AGDI recently - was compiling my old games into a collection and started doing some research.  Just played through and very much enjoyed the KQ1 & 2 remakes.  I also played through Sierra's own QfG1 remake and started QfG2, but couldn't stick with it - text parsers just drive me nuts - and so I was happy to learn what you guys were up to, and wanted to say 'thanks' for all the hard work.

Enough introduction - hope I'm not beating a dead horse (this thread looks a few weeks old) but I played a Thief in QfG1 and purchased the chainmail during my adventure.  When I imported the character into the current QfG2 EGA I had the chainmail on the new character.  (I'm assuming this would be the same for magic users, but haven't tested it.)

Since this is a remake and I expect some changes, I wouldn't complain if you didn't allow importing chain for thieves / magic users, but do know that it wouldn't be accurate to the original.  I do feel it would be unfair, so if you decide not to allow it, you could at least give the character an extra 50 gold coins to start (the cost of chainmail in QfG1) as compensation.

Also, since there's no longer a text parser, why not just S, T, R, H etc. for the hotkeys, without Ctrl?  Would make them easier to use ...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:33 am

I THINK chainmail transfers over, though I'd have to look it up to be sure.

And sorry, the keyboard shortcuts remain intact...ctrl-button and all.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#9 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:28 am

Yeah, the chainmail armour does get carried across to the remake, for imported non-fighters if you bought it in 'So You Want to be a Hero'.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#10 Post by gamecreator » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:51 pm

Erpy wrote:And sorry, the keyboard shortcuts remain intact...ctrl-button and all.
Why continue to include the need to hold down Ctrl?  Or at least, why not give the player the option to hold it down or not (make both ways work)?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:00 pm

I really don't support the game having a ton of options to calibrate a hundred and one minor features. It wouldn't be worth the time to implement either at this point.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#12 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:06 pm

I would rather see just a one button deal but in all honesty I probably wont use it anyways.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#13 Post by Gronagor » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:10 pm

Well... in general hotkeys work that way, so why change it for this game?

Heh. Complaining about such an insignificant point. People are getting anxious.  :p

gamecreator
Knight Status

#14 Post by gamecreator » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:47 pm

Understood about not wanting to indulge every whim (even if it's likely easy to implement) but why decide on including Ctrl in the first place?  Nostalgia?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#15 Post by Erpy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:55 pm

Perhaps. Even before the project began, I played the QFG games a lot and shortcuts like CTRL-R and CTRL-S became pretty much a second nature to me. It only seemed natural to give certain features the same shortcut keys they had in the original, so people familiar with QFG wouldn't have to look them up. In addition, ctrl-key combinations can't won't be accepted by the combat key redefinition menu, so it's impossible to accidentally call up the time GUI when dodging left in battle.

I guess nostalgica was a good reason...and the fact that it's such a small deal few people are likely to be bothered by it while playing.