It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:49 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:12 am 
Offline
Peasant Status

Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:06 am
Posts: 2
Hi. Long time lurker, second time poster.

Now, like any rational person, I appreciate getting things for free. I appreciate it even more when those things are good. That's why I like Tierra/AGD games. However, I also believe in being honest. Therefore, in the interests of dispensing with bullshit, I feel compelled to bring the following two points to your attention:

1) The updated wallpaper on the main index page renders the text on the top half of the page entirely unreadable.

2) The artwork itself is. . .atrocious.

Please remove it. It doesn't reflect the quality of the work you've put out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:26 am 
Offline
Royal Servant Status

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:41 pm
Posts: 69
I semi-second that. I don't think the artwork is bad but the whole making a suspenseful build-up thing is a waste of everyone's time. Especially the artist that's doing it. The game seems like its going to be pretty kickass, I say just release it or don't. The whole big elaborate prelude show isn't really doing anything for me. I really just want to see what it is you guys have cooked up for the past what 8 years?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:41 am 
Offline
Peasant Status

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:27 pm
Posts: 35
:rolleyes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:25 am 
Offline
Defense Minister Status
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 1:07 am
Posts: 614
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
illisium wrote:
Hi. Long time lurker, second time poster.

Now, like any rational person, I appreciate getting things for free. I appreciate it even more when those things are good. That's why I like Tierra/AGD games. However, I also believe in being honest. Therefore, in the interests of dispensing with bullshit, I feel compelled to bring the following two points to your attention:

1) The updated wallpaper on the main index page renders the text on the top half of the page entirely unreadable.

2) The artwork itself is. . .atrocious.

Please remove it. It doesn't reflect the quality of the work you've put out.


Well how long have you been around that you have the nerve to speak such slander
1. the wallpaper darkness is intentional
2. it it beautiful art
3.the hype id what makes it fun
4. they will not remove anything just for you

_________________
Image
Latest News and media
http://www.crystal-utada.net


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:27 am 
Offline
The Master of All Things Musical
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:57 pm
Posts: 4025
Location: Manitoba, Canada
It's not going to stay that way, dude. I assume it's still transitioning from the old website design to the new one. We haven't seen the new website completed yet. It is slowly changing every few days to the new design. Which means the artwork will be ten times better once it's finished.

Also, they're not deliberately delaying the game with a cheap excitement-builder website...thing. They really can't release it right now. For one thing they're still on the lookout for mirrors to host the game(s). Releasing the game now without sufficient mirrors would be a disaster. And seeing as they JUST sent out the call for help with regards to mirrors last week, I don't think they've accumulated enough help just yet.

In short, be patient and stop nitpicking. There's a reason behind these things. Not because it's fun to postpone things and watch people squirm. I'm sure they want the game out the door and released more than the fans do. They've been working on it (not just waiting) for 8 years now.

Also, AMG, he's not slandering. His thread title clearly states his post is indeed constructive criticism.

_________________
01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100001 00100000 01101100 01101001 01100101 00101110


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:42 am 
Offline
Royal Servant Status

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:41 pm
Posts: 69
Why dont they just do what they did for kq1 and 2?

Even better why don't they just rely on torrents. THEY dont have to put them up if its going to be a problem with vivendi but they definitely shouldn't try to police it out of being an option. Vivendi isn't going to care that they aren't going out of their way to stop it. Would they? Don't they have better things to do with their time and money?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:47 am 
Offline
Defense Minister Status
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 1:07 am
Posts: 614
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
you really have not been paying attention around here have you?

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12133

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12130

_________________
Image
Latest News and media
http://www.crystal-utada.net


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:48 am 
Offline
The Prince of Shapeir

Joined: Tue May 08, 2001 4:12 am
Posts: 8872
Location: Phobos
What I don't get is why you guys are so concerned either way. If you're not into the PR thing, just refrain from reloading the site or viewing the PR thread, and your dilemma's solved. I'm sure you'll find your way back here once the game itself is released if that's all you're interested in.

As for the torrents, why rely on them if we have adequate mirrors? Torrents seem like a tacky way of distributing files and they'll also make our download counts inaccurate. After working 8 years on this, we want to have realistic figures of how many times this game is being downloaded so that we're able to quote those figures back to Vivendi and other publishers. We want to cater for easy point-and-click downloads directly from our own site so that we can discourage torrent downloads.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:22 am 
Offline
Saurus Salesman
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:18 pm
Posts: 3880
Location: South Africa (Bloemfontein)
Heh. Yeah. I don't get the BitTorrent thing either...

When I get the choice nowadays to download directly or BitTorrent, directly is the obvious way to go.
Most people here don't have the high amount of bandwidth at their disposal, which means they can't have people leeching of them.
And besides, 9/10 times BitTorrent is slower than direct downloads.

Tip: If you see a QuestForGlory2VGA for download on BitTorrent somewhere, don't download it!! It came up a while ago in the forums that someone is spreading a 'fake' QfG2 for download (I think it was 40-60megs in size) with a bunch of spyware and viruses included. So, if you do download it that way, make very sure...

Edit: Oh, and how is "The artwork itself is. . .atrocious" constructive criticism?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:05 am 
Offline
Royal Servant Status
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:55 am
Posts: 125
I was about to ask the same thing. If it is indeed "atrocious" (which I don't believe so in the very least) please do explain further and construct your criticism.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:00 am 
Offline
The Master of All Things Musical
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:57 pm
Posts: 4025
Location: Manitoba, Canada
b74life wrote:
Why dont they just do what they did for kq1 and 2?


If you're talking about releasing it as soon as it's releasable than they are.

Quote:
Even better why don't they just rely on torrents. THEY dont have to put them up if its going to be a problem with vivendi but they definitely shouldn't try to police it out of being an option. Vivendi isn't going to care that they aren't going out of their way to stop it. Would they? Don't they have better things to do with their time and money?


You're right, protecting one's copyright isn't at all worth one's time or money. :rolleyes

_________________
01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100001 00100000 01101100 01101001 01100101 00101110


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:52 pm 
Offline
Infamous Sheik of Australia
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:43 pm
Posts: 1722
Location: Rockhampton Australia
Who looks at the site anyway?

The first time in about 2 years I've checked out the site is because of this thread...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:09 pm 
Offline
Insomniac Speed Demon
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:23 pm
Posts: 1193
Location: Rotterdam, Netherlands
I wanted to refrain from reacting too emotionally in this thread, but since I got an exciting message, I won't.

It's not a marketing trap or anything, because AGDI aren't selling anything. Nobody's fooling you, it's just for fun.

Read: it's just for fun! And AGDI obviously knows how to have fun! They practically made a living out of having fun! Devoted their lives to us having fun! And they're doing all this for you, just for fun! Devoting all their precious and important developing time to this project, which probably wasn't all fun all the time, wasn't done so they could hear people complain unconstructively.

Especially not when the very, very hard part of development is about to end, and the fun part (read: them having you play and enjoy it, which gives a certain form of satisfaction which is the only form of payment they'll ever receive for this time consuming, yearslong project) is about to start.

And, by the way, if you really have been waiting this long, then you should have a tingly feeling inside right now, which is about to explode, because AGDI is doing something magnificent. What's happening right now, is AGDI sensing this feeling, and enhancing it. In a good way.

If you don't feel anything like that, well, too bad for you, but to me personally it's like admitting you're a little dead inside (or didn't wait this long), in the near future most probably sitting behind your computer, playing Qfg2VGA, and taking the AGDI people and their project for granted, without ever simply saying "thank you for what you've done for me".

I'll let yourself be the judge of that.

* Post not directed to anyone specifically, but more towards a trend I've seen here and elsewhere.

_________________
Image
-------
Denying people their rights because the majority votes for it is not democracy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:27 pm 
Offline
Royal Vizier Status
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:37 am
Posts: 2298
Location: Central New York
Look. My time is money. And with the crap that AGDI is posting lately, it's costing me money by wasting my time. I've spent hours reading these threads and looking at that homepage with the ATROCIOUS artwork. I'm very upset. This isn't fun. THIS IS MY LIFE AND HOW DARE THEY TREAD ON IT WITH SUCH..... CRAP! I'm very upset. I didn't, and won't, pay any money for QFG2VGA but I still want my money back! PAY ME NOW AGDI OR I SHALL UNLEASH MY WRATH. And by unleash my wrath, I mean I will post on these forums everyday! EVERY-DAY. Thank you.

Bt

_________________
You've got to be crazy; you gotta have a real need.  You gotta sleep on your toes, and when you're on the street, you got to be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:35 pm 
Offline
The Prince of Shapeir

Joined: Tue May 08, 2001 4:12 am
Posts: 8872
Location: Phobos
Bt, you're about the only guy who could post that without receiving a virtual boot up the ass. :rollin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:24 am 
Offline
Royal Servant Status

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:41 pm
Posts: 69
MusicallyInspired wrote:
b74life wrote:
Why dont they just do what they did for kq1 and 2?


If you're talking about releasing it as soon as it's releasable than they are.


Wha? No thats not what I'm talking about. At all.

MusicallyInspired wrote:
Quote:
Even better why don't they just rely on torrents. THEY dont have to put them up if its going to be a problem with vivendi but they definitely shouldn't try to police it out of being an option. Vivendi isn't going to care that they aren't going out of their way to stop it. Would they? Don't they have better things to do with their time and money?


You're right, protecting one's copyright isn't at all worth one's time or money. :rolleyes


lol! ROLLEYES? OH YEAH IM SO RETARDED! Of course any company with a copyright of a game that hasn't released anything for it in ten years is going to want to waste money hiring people to hunt down torrents for a fan-game that isn't going to be making them any money either. Yea how could I have missed that logic. You got me there. Touche.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:31 am 
Offline
Royal Servant Status

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:41 pm
Posts: 69
Blackthorne519 wrote:
it's costing me money by wasting my time. I've spent hours reading these threads


I really really really hope that's not your interpretation of what I posted. I would barely know how to even begin correcting that. It's so far off. I'm just going to assume thats not what you mean but for anyone that thinks that IS what I meant I'll try to re-explain.

I never said anything about it being a waste of time because of money. I never put down the artist either I think eriq is more than talented and he seems like a creative guy and like his artwork a lot. I'm JUST saying that changing the homepage with all the effects and stuff (and I know I'm a big target for having an argument similar to the guy that made this thread but whatever deal with it) doesn't really seem to do much except make you go "oh cool they put up the new websi- up nope guess not." And in the thread-maker's defense I dont think HE said eriq's artwork is bad. I think he's just referring to the front page stuff. Although I could be wrong I dunno. But either way NOBODY should be offended or jumping to AGDI's RESCUE against what I said. It's really silly. Just relax please.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:51 am 
Offline
The Master of All Things Musical
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:57 pm
Posts: 4025
Location: Manitoba, Canada
b74life wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:
b74life wrote:
Why dont they just do what they did for kq1 and 2?


If you're talking about releasing it as soon as it's releasable than they are.


Wha? No thats not what I'm talking about. At all.


Then just what are you talking about?

Quote:
lol! ROLLEYES? OH YEAH IM SO RETARDED!


You said it not me.

Quote:
Of course any company with a copyright of a game that hasn't released anything for it in ten years is going to want to waste money hiring people to hunt down torrents for a fan-game that isn't going to be making them any money either. Yea how could I have missed that logic. You got me there. Touche.

You'd be surprised. Recently Vivendi along with other game companies pulled out of the ESA. Which means they probably are going to be more active in protecting their copyrights.

Either way you can't possibly know what Vivendi is being diligent about and what they aren't. It's been said many times that Vivendi keeps a close eye on these very forums. Of course they're going to care that they aren't going out of their way to stop it. And even if they aren't, it's too dangerous not to obey. AGDI could be completely shut down and all their remakes taken offline. Nobody wants that.

b74life wrote:
I'm JUST saying that changing the homepage with all the effects and stuff (and I know I'm a big target for having an argument similar to the guy that made this thread but whatever deal with it) doesn't really seem to do much except make you go "oh cool they put up the new websi- up nope guess not."


Speak for yourself, please. Don't assume everybody is going to think the same way you do. So far it seems that everyone who's posted (with the exception of the two of you) have reacted to the website transition with excitement and open arms. Which means the majority (not you) doesn't just go "oh cool they put up the new websi- up nope guess not."

_________________
01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100001 00100000 01101100 01101001 01100101 00101110


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:03 am 
Offline
Royal Servant Status

Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:42 am
Posts: 103
I think this whole thread is silly.

First, the artwork is awesome. I can't believe anyone would think its bad, but I guess everyone can have their own opinions.

Second, the changeover of the website is interesting. I don't care if it makes the top of the website unreadable; I mean when is the last time any of us read that? It's an out with the old, in with the new kind of thing. In my opinion I think the direction the website is headed is more of a website for a professional release. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a flash intro of the Hero fighting off a baddie.

Third, it's not that Vivendi would have to seek out any torrents of QG2 that spring up, that would be done by AGDI. As I understand it that was part of the agreement for the fan license. So if you want to sour the relationship between AGDI and Vivendi, or make it that much harder for ADGI to have time make another game because they have to seek out the torrents. And you may ask why that Vivendi would care about QG2 being distributed by torrent? That could be seen as an endorsement of torrents by Vivendi if they allow their intellectual property to be distributed via a torrent.

Think of this whole thing as a Christmas present. The game is free, you have to be patient, and the website is the wrapping and the tree. Enjoy the ride.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:10 am 
Offline
Royal Servant Status

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:41 pm
Posts: 69
MusicallyInspired wrote:

Quote:
lol! ROLLEYES? OH YEAH IM SO RETARDED!


You said it not me.


lol. Wow you actually went for that. For a second after I typed that I thought "yea someone in here is gonna go 4th grade on me and quote that and go U SED U WERE WETARDED HAHAHA!" and then decided "nah its too easy no one would go for it". I suddenly feel like instead of arguing with you just going "yea you're right kiddo. hey you wanna get some ice cream? THEN WE CAN GO WATCH THE LION KING"


MusicallyInspired wrote:
Speak for yourself, please. Don't assume everybody is going to think the same way you do.

Actually I said this
me wrote:
The whole big elaborate prelude show isn't really doing anything for me.
That's pretty much as personal and not-speaking for anyone else as you can possibly get. Putting words in my mouth and putting a twist on the meaning of what I said doesn't make you right, Bill O'Reilly.

MusicallyInspired wrote:
So far it seems that everyone who's posted (with the exception of the two of you) have reacted to the website transition with excitement and open arms.

Yeaaahhh the whole "reacting with excitement and open arms"... I have to ask. Are you still talking about the website orrrr your new relationship?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:16 am 
Offline
Royal Vizier Status
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:37 am
Posts: 2298
Location: Central New York
You know, I really like all the surge in posting activity. Reminds me of the good ole days.

Oh, yeah, and in keeping with the topic, Your art sucks, your game sucks, you suck, this site sucks. I can't imagine spending much more than 10 hours a day on here. MAYBE 12. I don't know.

Bt


This message has been brought to you by SARCASM(tm). Thank you.

_________________
You've got to be crazy; you gotta have a real need.  You gotta sleep on your toes, and when you're on the street, you got to be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:51 am 
Offline
The Master of All Things Musical
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:57 pm
Posts: 4025
Location: Manitoba, Canada
b74life wrote:
Actually I said this
me wrote:
The whole big elaborate prelude show isn't really doing anything for me.
That's pretty much as personal and not-speaking for anyone else as you can possibly get. Putting words in my mouth and putting a twist on the meaning of what I said doesn't make you right, Bill O'Reilly.


I'm not putting words in your mouth. You said it was a "waste of time" to transition the website. Which implies you're assuming everyone agrees with you. How else can you say it's a waste of time?

Quote:
Yeaaahhh the whole "reacting with excitement and open arms"... I have to ask. Are you still talking about the website orrrr your new relationship?


What's the matter with you? Can't you be civil?

_________________
01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100001 00100000 01101100 01101001 01100101 00101110


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:17 am 
Offline
Royal Servant Status

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:41 pm
Posts: 69
I'm totally being civil that was just a joke. You're the one going ZOMG STFU UR RUINING IT FOR EVERYBODY WITH UR OPINIONZ!!!11


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:21 am 
Offline
The Master of All Things Musical
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:57 pm
Posts: 4025
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Yeah, I'm totally speaking in all caps and making fun of you.

_________________
01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100001 00100000 01101100 01101001 01100101 00101110


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some Constructive Criticsm
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:41 am 
Offline
Royal Servant Status
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:55 am
Posts: 125
b74life, growing up might be a wise choice for you here in the near future, if this keeps up, there might be a ban for flamming.

EDIT: I just wanted to make it clear that I would not be the one to do so, but I'm sure any of the AGDI staff would take action if this topic got out of control any-further. (Weather by means of ban or simply locking the topic)


Last edited by Tye on Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group