Some Constructive Criticsm

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

Re: Some Constructive Criticsm

#26 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:52 am

b74life lets be honest you are a NOOB I am sorry but it is true you are pissing people off so go with the flow enjoy the fun and suspense and give it a rest

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#27 Post by Erpy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:56 am

Guys, I think it's a good time to break off this discussion. I really have more important things to do right now than to monitor all the new posts here. If this thing keeps going, consider the thread locked.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#28 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:15 am

I say you lock it now erpy save ya the trouble sorry I couldn't hold it in anymore

Darbince
Peasant Status

#29 Post by Darbince » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:40 am

I've been a lurker for a long time and felt the need to register in response to the garbage going on in this thread.

I'm astonished at the amount of patience the AGDI staff has. It's almost on par with a saint in my opinion. Had I been in their shoes, the ban hammer would have come crashing down five times over already on a certain person who's been nothing but obnoxious through these forums from the moment they registered. Obviously I wont name names, as the person is sure to know exactly who they are.

At any rate, onto more important matters, I'm absolutely thrilled with the transition of the website, and all the excitement it's building up while you fine folks finish up the bug killing and rounding up server space for the game. I grew up playing the Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory games, and I can honestly say I was in shock when I found out there was a remake being done for the second one. It's obviously common knowledge to you wonderful people, but fools will always try and force their conceited opinions, comments, and impatience, on the selfless sacrifices of others. Ignore it and know that there are likely thousands of people who will be shedding tears of nostalgia and feeling very appreciative for all the work you've done. This is of course just a repeat of what many have said in other words, but I personally feel you can never issue enough praise.

To eriqchang, I feel you're doing something wonderful for not only this website but all the fans who have been waiting for so long to see this project completed. It's fueling the fire, so to speak, and it's a great idea to fill the waiting time till the game is ready for release. Don't get discouraged to the whining of a few spoiled children. As I mentioned before, the same applies here as well, thousands are most likely watching with great enjoyment and anticipation thanks to your efforts and hard work.

I, for one, will be forever thankful that a group of talented people gathered together and did something so selfless for so many.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#30 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:07 pm

Darbince wrote:I've been a lurker for a long time and felt the need to register in response to the garbage going on in this thread.

I'm astonished at the amount of patience the AGDI staff has. It's almost on par with a saint in my opinion. Had I been in their shoes, the ban hammer would have come crashing down five times over already on a certain person who's been nothing but obnoxious through these forums from the moment they registered. Obviously I wont name names, as the person is sure to know exactly who they are.

At any rate, onto more important matters, I'm absolutely thrilled with the transition of the website, and all the excitement it's building up while you fine folks finish up the bug killing and rounding up server space for the game. I grew up playing the Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory games, and I can honestly say I was in shock when I found out there was a remake being done for the second one. It's obviously common knowledge to you wonderful people, but fools will always try and force their conceited opinions, comments, and impatience, on the selfless sacrifices of others. Ignore it and know that there are likely thousands of people who will be shedding tears of nostalgia and feeling very appreciative for all the work you've done. This is of course just a repeat of what many have said in other words, but I personally feel you can never issue enough praise.

To eriqchang, I feel you're doing something wonderful for not only this website but all the fans who have been waiting for so long to see this project completed. It's fueling the fire, so to speak, and it's a great idea to fill the waiting time till the game is ready for release. Don't get discouraged to the whining of a few spoiled children. As I mentioned before, the same applies here as well, thousands are most likely watching with great enjoyment and anticipation thanks to your efforts and hard work.

I, for one, will be forever thankful that a group of talented people gathered together and did something so selfless for so many.
amen to that

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#31 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:32 pm

You're always going to get criticism when you make anything.

You have to develop a thick skin, so to say, and I think most of the crew at AGDI has developed a leathery (emotional) exterior. They know they're good at what they do, and they take pride in their work, no matter what a few say.

Well, I know I do - I've been subject to the slings and arrows of a few, but the fun I had working on the games I've made outweighs that stuff. I didn't take anything from the people who've played my games; I only gave them something I worked hard on and had a good time doing.

So, yeah, there's gonna be some detractors - but overall, people love this stuff. If they don't like adventure games, I'm sure they can go play Halo, Gears of War or GTAIV if they like.

Bt

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#32 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:55 pm

I agree with you there bt

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#33 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:24 pm

That's true. For example, you only have to read the comments on any given Youtube video (well, most of them) to see that there's a very high percentage of, shall we say, dimwits, posting negative comments and absolute garbage with no merit whatsoever. So the 'emotional' thick skin you speak of doesn't even come into play when the comments are just brainless (ie. battle of wits with a unarmed opponent). They're really more annoying than anything else, in the sense that we then need to waste time moderating nonsense instead of finishing up the game.

Constructive criticism can be a helpful thing, as it can assist you to create a better game or product. You certainly develop the ability over time to stop taking offense at constructive criticism and embrace how to learn from it instead. However, I've noticed time and time again that there seems to be a line of thinking among some people that providing baseless criticism (be it for the sake of wanting to play the devil's advocate or because the person doesn't want to "lose face" by wearing the fanboy label) gives them credibility by making them look like an intellectual with a differing opinion to the masses. Problem is that too many people think that simply being an opinionated asshat will earn them respect rather than providing anything resembling useful feedback. That's simply not the case. Being a keyboard Rambo just gets on people's nerves. In fact, those people are probably even worse than trolls, because trolls just post crap to try and get a rise and are easily dealt with. But these people actually seem to believe they're more unique than every other dissenter on the net and think they'll actually make a difference! >D

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#34 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:47 pm

b74life, your entitled to your opinions but you can't base them on something you know nothing about.

These guys have sacrificed so much over the years to do something they love and what they really don't need is people bashing them for minor things like text on their main page.

There are alot of people doing amazing things in the background, people which I greatly respect for the amount of effort, talent and passion they've poured in over the years.

All they're asking for is a little patience and faith. Haven't they proved themselves enough already?

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#35 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:26 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:That's true. For example, you only have to read the comments on any given Youtube video (well, most of them) to see that there's a very high percentage of, shall we say, dimwits, posting negative comments and absolute garbage with no merit whatsoever. So the 'emotional' thick skin you speak of doesn't even come into play when the comments are just brainless (ie. battle of wits with a unarmed opponent). They're really more annoying than anything else, in the sense that we then need to waste time moderating nonsense instead of finishing up the game.

Constructive criticism can be a helpful thing, as it can assist you to create a better game or product. You certainly develop the ability over time to stop taking offense at constructive criticism and embrace how to learn from it instead. However, I've noticed time and time again that there seems to be a line of thinking among some people that providing baseless criticism (be it for the sake of wanting to play the devil's advocate or because the person doesn't want to "lose face" by wearing the fanboy label) gives them credibility by making them look like an intellectual with a differing opinion to the masses. Problem is that too many people think that simply being an opinionated asshat will earn them respect rather than providing anything resembling useful feedback. That's simply not the case. Being a keyboard Rambo just gets on people's nerves. In fact, those people are probably even worse than trolls, because trolls just post crap to try and get a rise and are easily dealt with. But these people actually seem to believe they're more unique than every other dissenter on the net and think they'll actually make a difference! >D
Angelus3K wrote:b74life, your entitled to your opinions but you can't base them on something you know nothing about.

These guys have sacrificed so much over the years to do something they love and what they really don't need is people bashing them for minor things like text on their main page.

There are alot of people doing amazing things in the background, people which I greatly respect for the amount of effort, talent and passion they've poured in over the years.

All they're asking for is a little patience and faith. Haven't they proved themselves enough already?
I agree 100%

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#36 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:28 am

AMG I think your custom title should be "AGDI Suck-Up." :lol

RC-Cola
Peasant Status

#37 Post by RC-Cola » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:31 am

As a general reply..

This criticism has hardly been constructive. Maybe it started out good-intentioned (and that's a stretch for my imagination) but it's practically degenerated to name calling.

I like the website. It's a little weird that the old text is being covered for a few days but it's certainly interesting and certainly temporary. Maybe the criticism could have been better stated, "I find it unprofessional to cover up the text on the old website, as it can be confusing to newcomers to the site."

Most of all, I really like what the people in charge are doing to intensify community spirit after many long years of waiting. It's about as much of an online party as there can be on a message board, and it's fun to be a part of this little celebration while it's happening.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#38 Post by Solarkid » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:38 am

To be honest i find the title of this thread pretty meaningless considering the contents.
Admitted, some of the criticism you made of the site was at least borderline constructive, but frankly some of the criticisms you've been making of Mi have been anything but constructive b47life. You're just flaming the guy, you defend yourself with arguements that you're just expressing an opinion and yet you respond to his opinion with nothing but agresssion. It's pretty nasty tbh, he's done nothing wrong.

Also, to respond to a smiley with a serious comment is just plain ridiculous man.

Personally i love the stuff eriq has been churning out, it's genius!
Though i must admit i feel slightly bemused by the expression on the hero's face on the page, looks like he is disgusted by something.

Dave

EDIT: Dang! RC got there first

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#39 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:46 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:AMG I think your custom title should be "AGDI Suck-Up." :lol
that could work

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#40 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:25 am

You know, I think constructive criticism is good. It's helped improved a lot of my work... but lately, there's been a thin line between constructive criticism and slander. It's a hard road to tread.

Sometimes people have good advice, sometimes it's bad. It's up to the (reader) person to decide which is which. And therein lies the intelligence, I suppose.

Bt

njspannaus
Peasant Status

#41 Post by njspannaus » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:58 am

while i agree with your overall point, bt, you might want to look up the definition of "slander"..

Hollister
Peasant Status

#42 Post by Hollister » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:30 am

Right, in print, its 'libel'. (Got that from JJ Jameson! ;) )

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#43 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:41 am

Heh heh. You're right. And I'm going to plead that tonight I'm drunk on a serious amount of wine. That seriously impairs my ability to choose the right words. I think I did all right, though.

Bt

b74life
Royal Servant Status

#44 Post by b74life » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:33 pm

Yea total over-reaction. Everybody took what I said as if it was in some hostile stance. I don't know why. I don't really care I just want to make it clear I'm not discouraging or putting down eriq at all. I just didn't see what the point of the front page was. Which shouldn't be taken offense to. But I like it a lot now anyways so its pointless to argue. If you read what I said I said he was a totally talented guy and I think eriq is a black private dick thats a sex-machine to all the chics. But no seriously he's a good artist. Let's just drop this I'm tried of talking about it.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#45 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:53 pm

WOW you are unreal! :eek

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#46 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:55 pm

You know, Eriq Chang is one bad mother....

Shut your mouth.

Word.

Bt

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#47 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:23 pm

I think we need to see some constructive critisim or I'll do some constructive locking ;)

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#48 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:45 pm

Angelus3K side note i added you on my PSN list

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#49 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:04 pm

AsianMusicGuy wrote:Angelus3K side note i added you on my PSN list
That was from the other thread lol.

Cool no probs. We'll have to play online if we have the same games.

Anyway, my bad, back on topic peeps (myself included!!).

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#50 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:16 pm

well mgs 4