Question about Ad Avis

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: Question about Ad Avis

#51 Post by Brainiac » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:28 pm

Gronagor wrote:In Naruto they explained it that the 5 elements are water, air, earth, fire and lightning/electricity.
The use of lightning as a stand-alone element is actually a relatively modern conceit; in the Classical Elements, lightning was considered a part of Fire's domain (just like Dr. Cranium says in QfG4, amusingly enough). The five elements of Japanese mythology are typically the same as the Classical Greek, but their fifth translates more towards "Void" rather than aether or quintessence, although Sky or Heaven could also be valid translations. As such, applying Lightning as an alternate choice is not unheard of (and is actually quite common in their fantasy-based media). The five-element system using metal and wood is the Wu Xing, the Chinese system.

Avoozl
Peasant Status

#52 Post by Avoozl » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:18 am

This post is in reference to the posts about the age of Ad Avis. I believe after a Caster passes the wit initiation course he has the option of leaving the world and going away to study in the art of deeper magic. I can't remember the years that were mentioned but it is a really long time. I believe Ad Avis, Erasmus and the other wizards are a lot older than normal mortals. In quest for glory 1 erasmus mentions that he purchased his vacation home in the Spielburg valley a century ago. It seems that being so knowledgeable of magic in Glorianna makes a wizard live longer or age slower. According to this lore it would explain the age issue of Ad Avis in Trail by Fire. He is a member of WIT in Trail by Fire because u have the option of asking for his endorsement. Only Katrina was expelled not Ad Avis. So Erasmus, Aziza, Katrina, Erana, Merlin (whom u can also ask for an endorsement in qfg2, and all the other wizards age differently than normal mortals and live a lot longer. If u remember the W.I.T asks if u want to leave the mortal world and go to a place to study deeper magic only to return to the world hundereds of years later...This is what Ad Avis did...so that would make him really really old in Mortal years at the beggining of Quest for Glory 2.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#53 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:12 am

That's a good point with the slow-aging of Wizards. As you've pointed out, there do seem to be some references to back that up.

Although, the WIT study only lasts for twenty years, not hundreds of years. So that would make Ad Avis somewhere around 120 years old at the time of QFG2...

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#54 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:30 am

Yep. I only know that he's

a) Older than the hero, for sure.
b) A bad mother (shut your mouth!)

I always thought Ad Avis was a great villain - classic "befriend you" and leave you type. I always liked him as a villain, and I thought he was a little bitch in IV... until the end. Good stuff.

I always thought that Khaveen was a resident of Rasier who lusted for power and Ad Avis saw this in him and made an ally.

Bt