King's Quest 1 & 2 vga re-release?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

papste
Royal Servant Status

King's Quest 1 & 2 vga re-release?

#1 Post by papste » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:01 pm

I know KQ1VGA and KQ2VGA are undergoing some changes. Any idea or rough estimation when they are going to be available for download again? I believe quite a lot of people are looking for them right now but the main webpage of AGD is purely based on QFG2VGA and that misleads people that don't really watch the forums here somehow. Would be cool if you guys could add some reference to those 2 games in the main website of AGD, just to let fans know they have only been temporarily taken down and undergoing changes?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: King's Quest 1 & 2 vga re-release?

#2 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:08 pm

That's what we're planning to do. What you're seeing right now is the QFG2VGA site. The main AGDI site is still under construction and will contain information about those games.

papste
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by papste » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:07 pm

Are we there yet? :D

Just wondering when the new AGDI webpage and KQ1 + KQ2 remakes are going up. Or is there an alternate location where we can download the old games from? I checked the AGS site as well but couldn't find any links.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:18 pm

It wouldn't make a great deal of sense to take the KQ remakes down and still have the links hosted elsewhere. They were taken down because the older versions have become outdated and also to ease bandwidth over the period of time that Quest for Glory II remake was released.

King's Quest I VGA is currently undergoing its final stages of beta testing. But King's Quest 2 VGA hasn't even started being beta tested yet. We've been a bit preoccupied with figuring out the QFG2 poster shipping details and also arranging prizes for the art contest, so that took priority for some time. Things will be back in full-swing again soon, though.

papste
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by papste » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:57 pm

Since you are recompiling KQ1 & KQ2 would it be possible to get rid of the crash that occurs when you try to restore a game saved in a different resolution? Other AGS games like maniac mansion deluxe go on to show an in-game message saying that the game was saved in a different resolution or interpreter and that it cannot be restore instead of crashing to the desktop.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#6 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:36 pm

AGS actually works this way by default now, so just like the QFG2 remake, it will definitely not crash when trying to restore savegames from different resolutions in the re-releases. You'll get a text message instead.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:09 am

eta?
of the RR
hope its not 8 yers :)

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#8 Post by Music Head » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:47 pm

That reply borderlined code for me. You said 'Estimated Time for Arrival? for the ReReleases. Hope it's not 8 years' right?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#9 Post by Gronagor » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:08 pm

:eek
You've decoded it for me... I had no clue!

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#10 Post by Spikey » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:49 pm

I was actually quite frustrated that KQ1vga was taken down as well, since I had just uninstalled it with the intention of downloading it in the near future. I was still able to download it anew though, in an obscure corner of the internet.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#11 Post by Gronagor » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:42 pm

:cry I never expected you would run with that crowd Spikey. :(

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#12 Post by Spikey » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:26 pm

Lol; sorry, with obscure I meant "vague", it was something just out in the open on the net like pctipp.de or something, and my german is not that great. I found it simply by using a Yahoo-type search engine, nothing really obscure about it.

I was about to start the King's Quest series all over from 1 to 8, and what's all that worth without KQ1vga by AGDI? I mean, it was installed on my computer only a few weeks back, so I just reinstalled what I already had. Now I'm just another dude who has KQ1vga on his computer, just like everybody else here ;).

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#13 Post by Erpy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:04 am

The reason we took the releases down was to encourage people who wanted to replay the series over to wait a little while until our new releases were ready, rather than have them play the older versions of them.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#14 Post by Spikey » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:35 pm

Yeah, it's no critique or anthing, totally understandable. I just wanted to play them right now, I usually play KQ1-8 every few months or so. Most of us have it already on our computers, so taking down links won't really encourage anything those people. If I hadn't found it, I'd only be frustrated right now by being KQ-less, especially because there's no indication on how long I'd have to wait. Again, totally understandable, no critique. I wouldn't dream of starting all over without KQ1, see. I'll replay them again soon after the release, of course. Fans like me will want to compare ;).

gamecreator
Knight Status

#15 Post by gamecreator » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:28 am

I'd like to request that all cut scenes and conversations be made skip-able. I remember being annoyed at having to wait through things I've seen before.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#16 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:55 pm

They are skippable.....if you've already beaten the game once. The crown cursour will have a green arrow on it meaning you can skip it if you want.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#17 Post by Erpy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:42 pm

Technically, you can skip most sequences even the first time around...the only difference is that the subsequent times, the cursor changes to make you aware of the possibility...this was done in order to make certain people would at least bother watching the cutscenes at least once.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#18 Post by gamecreator » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:35 pm

I really prefer giving players the options whenever possible. I consider it rude to make them watch something they may not want to, even the first time.

I'm kind of vague on the game at this point (it's been a long time since I've played it) but I think it involved choosing answers on how you would handle given situations. I think I had to replay that several times to get it correct but it wasn't skippable. If I remember right, even the speech couldn't be clicked through. Was very annoying. :(

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#19 Post by Spikey » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:37 pm

If you replay KQ at this point, isn't it mainly for the story value?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#20 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:20 am

I consider it rude to make them watch something they may not want to, even the first time.
Old adventure games rarely included this feature, so I guess those Sierra employees must have been a pretty impolite bunch! The ability to skip should be seen as a bonus, not a necessity.

You're able to skip scenes where the music isn't timed to the action, for obvious reasons. There's only a small segment in one of the cloud tests where the text isn't clickable and you can't skip with ESC, but it's after you choose your answer in the final test, and won't interfere with clicking through text in the preceding tests if you need to redo them. In the first two tests you can click through all the text and can also save your game prior to choosing an answer. But as Erpy mentioned, most of the cutscene type scenarios are already skippable anyway.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#21 Post by gamecreator » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:27 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:
I consider it rude to make them watch something they may not want to, even the first time.
Old adventure games rarely included this feature, so I guess those Sierra employees must have been a pretty impolite bunch!
They weren't exactly working with AGS 20 years ago. :p
The ability to skip should be seen as a bonus, not a necessity.
It's a "bonus" on the level with using readable fonts, a clean interface and straightforward controls. I'd argue that it was a bonus many years ago. Today it's good practice and good design.

dosuser
Defense Minister Status

#22 Post by dosuser » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:41 pm

I disagree. The number of times I've accidentally clicked the mouse button while watching a cutscene for the first time, and ended up then skipping the rest of it and losing a key plot point as a result, means that I think it's worth forcing people to watch them the first time through -- or at least restrict skipping to pressing ESC, which is more deliberate and people probably won't do by accident.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#23 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:50 pm

gamecreator wrote:They weren't exactly working with AGS 20 years ago. :p
That doesn't mean anything. The AGI and SCI engines were quite capable of creating the option for skipping cutscenes if you wanted. LSL5 and the CD-ROM version of KQ5 are two examples.
gamecreator wrote:It's a "bonus" on the level with using readable fonts, a clean interface and straightforward controls. I'd argue that it was a bonus many years ago. Today it's good practice and good design.
I don't see any difference between then and now when it comes to cutscenes. If you want to argue today's game design, you can't skip any cutscenes in many games. There are also many that you can. It's no different than it was many years ago. You can skip cutscenes in all LucasArts games, for instance.

Knight Status

#24 Post by 1234567890 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:09 pm

Just thought I should say that [NAME REMOVED] has a working download like for KQ1 and 2 VGA.
1:
[LINK REMOVED]
2+:

[LINK REMOVED]

I would advise playing these, but then downloading the new ones when they come.
hope this helps,

adeyke

#25 Post by adeyke » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:52 pm

I've removed the links. The games may only be distributed through AGDI's Web site. Don't try to find them elsewhere, and certainly don't post the links to them here.