Which Quest for Glory I game is more "canon?" EGA or VGA

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

GloomSaber
Peasant Status

Which Quest for Glory I game is more "canon?" EGA or VGA

#1 Post by GloomSaber » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:13 am

I am just thinkin which ver of the original Hero's quest is canon or, fits better with the later ver of QFG? Personally, I believe the VGA version is the one considered "canon" for the reasons below:

Baba Yaga's skin color
The hut is a hut and not a house in Shadows of Darkness
The hair color of Elsa's
Erasmus is wearing a hat

I left out the hero's outfit since that can be debatable especially because one can say his gotty purple and blue garments were his only garments he had and the events in the 2nd title, changed his close to one that fits with Shapier; Maybe before goin to Tarna, he decided to go for the brown and blue/green for camo in the jungle.

l am also curious which one you guys think is canon and if there is anything in the old EGA version that is more consistant with GFQ3,4, and Dragon Fire than the old QFG1 game.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

Re: Which Quest for Glory I game is more "canon?" EGA or VGA

#2 Post by Spikey » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:27 pm

They are technically both canon; I don't think I've ever read about one being more true than the other.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:32 pm

I think stylistic choices (like hair color) are not directly tied to the storyline. After all, in QFG1EGA, Fenrus was grey, in QFG1VGA, he was brown, in QFG4 he was brown as well and in QFG5, he was grey again. It shouldn't say anything about whether a game is canon or not.

c_young
Peasant Status

#4 Post by c_young » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:45 pm

Fenrus is also grey in the qfg2 remake. BUt how it flows, qfg1 vga goes with the remake quite well. In the choice of attire, it would probab;y be hard to get new "eastern" clothes in the land of shapier. Plus its more fitting, to well; fit in.

Xandarius
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by Xandarius » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:03 am

I personally prefer the VGA version (once all the speed-related bugs have been patched); however, in the readme file on the Quest for Glory Anthology CD, Corey Cole stated that he felt that the VGA version was disappointing and that the EGA version was closer to the experience he wanted players to have; however, it's obvious that later games borrowed stylistic elements from both games.

Anyway, my two cents is, they're both so close play wise that deciding which one is the preferred game should be left to the player's personal preference.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#6 Post by Spikey » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:40 pm

Erpy wrote:I think stylistic choices (like hair color) are not directly tied to the storyline. After all, in QFG1EGA, Fenrus was grey, in QFG1VGA, he was brown, in QFG4 he was brown as well and in QFG5, he was grey again. It shouldn't say anything about whether a game is canon or not.

Then again, is the term canon only related to the storyline? Perhaps that was the case for the Bible, but for fiction canon is anything that can be considered officially released / acknowledged by the creators, including stylistic choices.
So (possible) stylistic choices raise canonic inconsistency questions such as "Was Erasmus wearing a hat during Qfg1?" or "Is Fenrus grey or brown?"

We'll just have to ask the Coles those questions, while they're still alive. ;)

EDIT: I'm not suggesting that the Bible is non-fiction btw, I was speaking in terms of literary categories.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:45 am

Spikey wrote:EDIT: I'm not suggesting that the Bible is non-fiction btw, I was speaking in terms of literary categories.
So you're saying it isn't non-fiction then?

Corsair
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by Corsair » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:55 am

Let's not get into that, especially not here.

It's pretty obvious to me that VGA is the 'more canonical' one, not that it's saying much, VGA isn't all that much different. Most of the changed stuff in VGA, with the exception of the stuff that's never constant, is corroborated in one of the other games.

Thepal
Knight Status

#9 Post by Thepal » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:09 am

Technically, the answer is the EGA version. Since it was the first it is the game all the others are based on. If any of them contradict the first game, they are technically going against canon.

At least that is the way I feel having started with Hero's Quest.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#10 Post by Spikey » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:58 pm

You could also say that the VGA one is overruling the EGA canon-wise, because it is newer / the most up-to-date.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Brainiac » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:53 pm

Spikey wrote:You could also say that the VGA one is overruling the EGA canon-wise, because it is newer / the most up-to-date.
Not necessarily. Some other series known for remaking games (Castlevania, for instance) have officially stated that the original titles are the canonical versions.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#12 Post by Spikey » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:19 pm

That's why I said "could", in terms of devil's advocacy as a reaction to 'the original hq is canon because it was first'. Until the Coles say anything about this, we come back to my original conclusion that both games are canon at this point.

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:59 am

Anybody can put on/take off a hat. ;)

Just my 2 cents.

kijikun
Peasant Status

#14 Post by kijikun » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:16 pm

Someone should just ask the Coles