Stuff I'd like to see in a new game

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

Stuff I'd like to see in a new game

#1 Post by pbpb33 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:24 pm

There are all kinds of things I'd like to see in a new game, but here are a couple that just popped into my mind.

- multiple playable characters, each involved in separate but related sub-plots, that players can alternate between whenever they want. I think it helps keep things fresh and allows for a wider range of puzzle, gameplay and virtaul setting options. DOTT and LSL3 did well with this, each in their own way, and I think it's something worth considering. Maybe the different characters could have special skills or senses... with each character having an ever-so-slightly different icon bar interface. For example, perhaps one character could partially read minds.
- a cool soundtrack with a couple original songs that can be downloaded to an ipod... I think it would be cool if the soundtrack used variations of the song melodies throughout the game.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Stuff I'd like to see in a new game

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:06 pm

Indigo Prophey and Heavy Rain have that sub-plot/multiplayer feature. Rather good, too.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#3 Post by Spikey » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:06 pm

I would like an old fashioned p&c revival on the iPad.
Just saw an interactive book on it today, and there's definately a lot of potential.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#4 Post by DrJones » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:28 pm

I have the superpower of turning back to the previous section when I don't like the route I took on an interactive book. It would be cool to see that in a videogame. Maybe that's why I like so much Sands of Time. :lol

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:56 pm

Oh, we added that option to our games too. It's activated with F7. :p

MusicallyInspired

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:18 pm

HAH!

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#7 Post by Spikey » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:00 pm

DrJones wrote:I have the superpower of turning back to the previous section when I don't like the route I took on an interactive book. It would be cool to see that in a videogame. Maybe that's why I like so much Sands of Time. :lol
I hope we'll be able to do that in the movie. Srsly.

About the iPad thing, the story wasn't really interactive, just the 'pictures'. It was just Alice in Wonderland with a pocket watch swinging from side to side depending on gravity on one page, a window from which you could change the view on another, that sort of thing.

MusicallyInspired

#8 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:00 pm

I thought Timeshift would be an amazing FPS. Pausing, slowing, and rewinding time in real-time. Alas, it was a Halo clone with little to know real interesting puzzles that utilize it correctly. It was more of a "here's an impossible situation, here's some time-shifting abilities. Have fun" kind of thing. Really disappointed me. There was only one slightly interesting puzzle where you have to cross a bridge but it gets bombed and destroyed. You have to rewind time and run through it before it actually gets destroyed and then you see it blow up behind you. I thought the whole game would be as interesting or more interesting than that. I was sadly mistaken.

Plus the entire story is told through cutscenes between levels. WORST WAY TO TELL A STORY IN A COMPUTER GAME EVER.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by pbpb33 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:10 pm

By the way, something else I'd like to see is, during game development, the abililty of fans to be able to influence one or two little things like minor characters' names or town names, etc. Maybe have some kind of contest before the game comes out where the winner gets to name a character, write a joke, etc. that will appear in the final game. Or what would also be cool is if there could be some kind of contest, held during the development phase, where the winner would be given the honor of "appearing" in the final game, as an "extra" or in a tiny cameo somewhere. I think it would be a fun treat to see yourself animated in a new adventure game... even if it were only a very small part in the game.

MusicallyInspired

#10 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:09 pm

TellTale Games have had contests like that more than once for a few of their games. Little jokes and things made their way into TMI and such.

shanedelorme
Peasant Status

#11 Post by shanedelorme » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:35 pm

Not nessisarily in a new game but it would be cool to see AGS ported over to the iPad.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#12 Post by pbpb33 » Sun May 02, 2010 12:23 pm

shanedelorme wrote:Not nessisarily in a new game but it would be cool to see AGS ported over to the iPad.
Yeah, I think that's a great idea! I'm interested to see how these new interactive books do... seems like the iPad would be a natural platform for adventure games, which are basically like interactive fiction. With their emphasis on story and characters, so-called "adventure games" seem as much aligned with books as they are with most console games. In fact, as Jane Jensen has discussed, the "game" label maybe isn't the best way to describe "adventure games" or interactive fiction, not only because it likely and unfairly connotates trivial or juvenile qualities for many non-gamers, but also because the potential "adventure game" market probably includes as many non-gamer book lovers as it does traditional console gamers. I have no doubt that interactive fiction will be quite big one day, and it wouldn't be a surprise if future interactive fiction products drew inspiration from the "adventure game" classics. Anyway, there's a lot of potential with platforms like the iPad, which can be operated more casually, as one might read a book. http://www.maclife.com/article/news/pen ... books_ipad