AGDInteractive - Sierra Adventure Game Remakes Forum
http://www.agdinteractive.com/forum/

An unorthodox way to resolve the QFG 3 points problem
http://www.agdinteractive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14745
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Paladinlover [ Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:51 pm ]
Post subject:  An unorthodox way to resolve the QFG 3 points problem

One of the biggest things that bugged me and bugged most everyone else (seriously, I've heard a ton of complaints over the years about the inability to get a perfect score in QFG 3), and that is either due to bad programming or there are some hidden tasks that are so well hidden that they're simply impossible to find. But others, like the fighter playthrough, is just annoying in the fact in the you get 50 points for being a paladin... and then you still need to do the other paladin tasks towards the very end of the game (which is nigh impossible, or at least extremely difficult) to get more points.

So I propose this rather unorthodox method of resolving this issue... cheat engine.

http://www.cheatengine.org/

Basically cheat engine works by entering variables and changing the variables in the game. I use it mostly to lock the allocation points at the start of the game so I can start out with a maxed out character. You can also use it to lock in the puzzle points to whatever you want it, too, and I've already confirmed that you can use it to change the puzzle points to 500 (but it's best done towards the end of the game and locked at 500 so it doesn't cause a potential crash).

Just tossing it out there.

Till next time stay cool 8))

Author:  adeyke [ Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: An unorthodox way to resolve the QFG 3 points problem

You could also just play the game normally and then lie to people by saying you got the full 500 points.

Author:  Paladinlover [ Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: An unorthodox way to resolve the QFG 3 points problem

But then they'd ask questions.

Also with this method, you can take a screen shot and prove you've done it. :rollin

Till next time stay cool 8))

Author:  Brainiac [ Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: An unorthodox way to resolve the QFG 3 points problem

Paladinlover wrote:
One of the biggest things that bugged me and bugged most everyone else (seriously, I've heard a ton of complaints over the years about the inability to get a perfect score in QFG 3), and that is either due to bad programming or there are some hidden tasks that are so well hidden that they're simply impossible to find. But others, like the fighter playthrough, is just annoying in the fact in the you get 50 points for being a paladin... and then you still need to do the other paladin tasks towards the very end of the game (which is nigh impossible, or at least extremely difficult) to get more points.

Actually, it's not that the points are hidden; in most cases, it's that they're not coded properly. The characters all get points for either running after Harami at the start of the game or stopping him in a class-specific fashion. The problem is that to get full points, you need to do both (which is not possible). As to the Fighter/Paladin, there are other point-giving actions that aren't properly triggered, much like the missing three points in Space Quest IV's CD version. You should look over some of the old General QFG Discussions thread. I've been poking at things again a little, actually (for example, Fighter-to-Paladin is giving me 25 points instead of 50). The only way to get a 500-point Fighter may actually be to convert to a Paladin and then edit the export file back into being a Fighter (which I do know how to do).

Author:  Paladinlover [ Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: An unorthodox way to resolve the QFG 3 points problem

Quote:
Actually, it's not that the points are hidden; in most cases, it's that they're not coded properly. The characters all get points for either running after Harami at the start of the game or stopping him in a class-specific fashion. The problem is that to get full points, you need to do both (which is not possible). As to the Fighter/Paladin, there are other point-giving actions that aren't properly triggered, much like the missing three points in Space Quest IV's CD version. You should look over some of the old General QFG Discussions thread. I've been poking at things again a little, actually (for example, Fighter-to-Paladin is giving me 25 points instead of 50). The only way to get a 500-point Fighter may actually be to convert to a Paladin and then edit the export file back into being a Fighter (which I do know how to do).


I suspected it was bad coding (largely from everyone saying it). I also found it unfair that fighters HAD to turn into paladins in order to get full points. In QFG 2, even if you behaved like the most unpaladinlike fighter possible, you still could have gotten 500 out of 500 points. the whole 550 out of 550 if you become a Paladin is purely optional.

Another reason why I think its unfair is because the Hero has to be a bit of a jerk to avoid being a Paladin. The easiest way is to not to defend Rakeesh, not pledge that you'll bring peace (which I found to be completely ridicules, and if you did say no it would HAVE to bring about some kind of tension between you and Rakeesh... not to mention everyone else. I mean the reason why you even came to the kingdom in the first place is to get to the bottom of what's going on and bring peace), and maybe even not help Yusufu when he gets stuck in a hole, which is... well, kinda unsportsmanlike, and again, a jerk.

An alternative way would have been like the Griffin in the original QFG 2. Adding a peaceful, but dangerous creature, to fight optionally could simply prove that the Hero's personality and style was simply too violent to be a Paladin, which obviously required finding peaceful ways when they're possible.

Finally, the way you defeat the wizard is a bit different as a fighter. As a Paladin, you throw your sword at him, as a Fighter, Yusufu gives you the Spear of Death to use against the wizard, which I think is a totally awesome way of dealing with him.

During my latest (and last for at least a year) playthrough of the QFG series, I used cheat engine to get me full points. It was totally not fair since I genuinely didn't do everything (or everything right. I saved the meerbat, hence screwing my chances to get the points at the end game).

Till next time stay cool 8))

Author:  crayauchtin [ Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: An unorthodox way to resolve the QFG 3 points problem

Saving the meerbat screws you out of points?

How do I not know like anything? :P

Author:  Paladinlover [ Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: An unorthodox way to resolve the QFG 3 points problem

Quote:
Saving the meerbat screws you out of points?

How do I not know like anything? :P


I'm not sure if you're joking or serious, but I'll explain it.

Saving the meerbat only gets you points if you're a fighter or paladin. If you're a thief or a magic user, and you get the gem that the meerbat leaves you, you won't be able to get it from the statue towards the end of the game, which is where the points are for the thief and magic user (for fighters, its exclusively from the meerbat).

Till next time stay cool 8))

Author:  haradan [ Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: An unorthodox way to resolve the QFG 3 points problem

I't s been a while since my last playthrough, but I think the way to avoid that problem was not returning for a third time to the rocks. The first time yu get the fruit (with the grapnel o with magic), the second time you save the meerbat and then if you don't come back a third time you won't have the jewel and it'll be waiting for you at the Lost City.

Author:  Thepal [ Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: An unorthodox way to resolve the QFG 3 points problem

My wife gave me the best gift ever a few years ago. I was playing the QfG series again (I think after the addition of AGD's version of QfG2), and I told her that despite the fact I knew it was impossible, every time I played QfG3 I had to try everything I could to get to 500 (and that I was always 3 points off).

She gave me a piece of paper that said "3 points for Paul" on it. And do you know what? I've never worried about it again. I feel like I have gotten 500 points now ^_^

Of course, you can get 500 points in a legit way, by being a Fighter that becomes a Paladin (but I always start off as a Paladin). Fighter on its own gets 483 points. But becoming a Paladin in the game makes you get Paladin points from then on, which allows the Fighter to get 508 points if you do it right (it lists as just 500 at the end).

Author:  Brainiac [ Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: An unorthodox way to resolve the QFG 3 points problem

HAH! You've got a heck of a lady there, Thepal. I'm glad to hear you finally "found" those pesky points.

Author:  El Ravager [ Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: An unorthodox way to resolve the QFG 3 points problem

Personally, I don't care about getting full points. So the programmers screwed up...big deal. Besides, I've always been more obsessive-compulsive about maxing my stats than maxing my puzzle points...

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/