Thanks for KQ 1 and 2 -- any chance of QfG 1?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Zcat6
Peasant Status

Thanks for KQ 1 and 2 -- any chance of QfG 1?

#1 Post by Zcat6 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:25 pm

Just wanted to add my voice as another "older gamer" who really has enjoyed your remakes of King's Quest 1 and 2. Just downloaded Quest for Glory 2. I read that no more remake projects would be started in another thread here -- anybody know if any group has taken on the challenge of a remake of Quest for Glory 1?

Thanks again for all your hard work. It is very much appreciated and loved. :)

~Z.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Thanks for KQ 1 and 2 -- any chance of QfG 1?

#2 Post by Erpy » Sun May 02, 2010 6:11 pm

QFG1 has already been remade by Sierra itself, so it's unlikely anyone will bother remaking it again.

goatmeal
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by goatmeal » Sun May 02, 2010 6:48 pm

Erpy wrote:QFG1 has already been remade by Sierra itself, so it's unlikely anyone will bother remaking it again.
OK, but how about doing a VGA remake for Hero's Quest? :rollin

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Sun May 02, 2010 6:52 pm

Maybe you should just play QFG1VGA and use your imagination to pretend the title says Hero's Quest instead of Quest for Glory.

Zcat6
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Zcat6 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:53 pm

Oh man, this shows just how far out of the loop I am with these games. I did not know Sierra already did a remake of QfG1. Thanks for the info. Will do a search to find out more about it and see how I might get a copy.

And thanks again for the remakes you have done. They really are a joy to play. :)

~Z.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon May 03, 2010 2:14 am

It'd be neat if somebody took the art resources from QFG1VGA and altered them for the titles to read Hero's Quest I instead of Quest for Glory I :).

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#7 Post by DrJones » Tue May 04, 2010 8:09 pm

*Resists the urge of doing exactly what Musically Inspired suggested* :lol

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#8 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue May 04, 2010 8:14 pm

Hey, it's possible to edit SCI10 art resources....not SCI11 resources, though. Dangit. Why did Brian Provinciano have to give up on SCI Studio?

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by AGP » Thu May 06, 2010 12:25 am

I have my own 2.5D remake of Quest for Glory I. I haven't updated the online build for exactly one year now, but I spent the last 10 days or so working on it. I have all the screens for the town, and you can go all the way to Baba Yaga's, now. If somebody could animate the hero's battle movements, I could implement the battle system (got that screen and its components done as well).

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#10 Post by Paladinlover » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:51 am

QFG 1 VGA was one of the last remakes that Sierra churned out in the early 90's and it shows in its quality. The graphics are great and usage of claymation monsters and certain characters was great.

The only thing I wish they did was fix (some very few and minor) bugs.

Notably the dagger problem. In all games in the QFG series, you can recover the daggers (or in QFG 5, spears) that you throw at enemies by searching them, or in the case of QFG 3, just leaving the encounter screen. In QFG 1 VGA (and only the VGA, this problem did not exist in the EGA version) is that when you throw a dagger at an enemy, and then fight them, after you win, searching them does not get your daggers back. The only way to get them back is to throw your dagger, go to your inventory and click on the pick up option where you can pick up the daggers you threw. It's weird and awkward. There is another bug where if you kill the brigand that Bruno met at the archery target with a dagger, you can recover the dagger with the pick up option AND by searching his body, thus getting an extra dagger.

The only other problem I can think of is getting Yorick to leave the maze room after you've told him about Elsa and the dispel potion. In the EGA version, he understands your intentions and immediately leaves, in the VGA, he just stays there and even sometimes throws things at you to impede your progress, which is annoying and weird (the only way to get him to leave the room is to cast a spell, any spell, and he'll go).

Beyond that it was an excellent remake and had no fundamental flaws beyond the dagger problem.

Till next time stay cool 8))

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

#11 Post by MagusRogue » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:06 am

Makes me wonder, what with the patches already out, why these havent been fixed by fans yet.

Another issue: I often could never beat the Weapon Master. It wasn't a matter of the speed settings; I had DOSBOX and it sped the game fine. I'd get him to the edge of the screen, but he would just stand there. Even at 100 Strength, Stamina, and Weapon Skill, I could NEVER beat him, and eventually would fall over unconscious... Really ticked me off, and made me only play fighters on the EGA version.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#12 Post by Erpy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:26 am

I'm not sure how NewRisingSun (bless his name) created thos patches in the first place, but it might have been a tricky process. He was also pretty adamant he'd only adress those issues that were clearly timer-based bugs and he wouldn't go after any ball Sierra's QA department dropped back in the days.

The weapon master was close to impossible to beat even with your stats at 100 in the remake, though it helped significantly if you dropped almost all your belongings before fighting them. (picking them up afterwards of course)