Future Remake: Part Deux

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

What are your top 3 Sierra remakes you would like remade?

King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella
27%
Police Quest II: The Vengeance
5%
Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon
10%
Lara Bow: The Colonel's Bequest
8%
The Black Cauldron
3%
Codename: Iceman
1%
Conquests of Camelot: The Search for the Grail
7%
Gold Rush
3%
Manhunter: New York
1%
Manhunter 2: San Francisco
0%
Leisure Suit Larry (II) Goes Looking for Love (in Several Wrong Places)
4%
Leisure Suit Larry III: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals
3%
Quest for Glory 5 VGA de-make
9%
Quest for Glory 3 remake (fixed points system)
8%
Mask of Eternity: Point & Click adventure remake
11%

Total votes: 669

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Future Remake: Part Deux

#1 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:32 pm

While we currently have a nice amount of Sierra fans visiting the AGDI forums, I'd like to pose a theoretical question in the form of a poll, to see where the current interests might lie with Sierra fans. Please keep in mind that there's nothing more behind this than my own curiosity. That said, the data could very well prove helpful in any future discussions we might have.

So, without further ado... if the wish-granting Fairy Godmother were to float down from the sky and grant you VGA-style, Point & Click remakes of any 3 Sierra games, what would they be?

You may select 3 options.

(Let me know if I forgot any).

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Future Remake: Part Duex

#2 Post by Erpy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:36 pm

I don't think you forgot any, but three of those games now rest with IP holders other than Activision. The Black Cauldron's rights reverted back to Disney a few years after the game was released and the Leisure Suit Larry franchise is owned by Codemasters.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#3 Post by DrJones » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:37 pm

Also, a lot of people might want to vote for a remake of Quest for Glory III, no matter how useless and wasteful the task would be. :hat

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:38 pm

Yeah, I know. I just wanted to add them all regardless, to get a feel for the style of games Sierra fans like.

--EDIT--

Added QFG3. :)

Relight
Archival Expert

#5 Post by Relight » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:02 pm

What would happen if Lara Croft and Laura Bow had a baby... Lara Bow :p

Oh man only being able to vote for 3, I need like, a lot more... :D

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Brainiac » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Hmmmm. De-makes, while interesting, fall just slightly below improved remakes in terms of my desires. Thus, I vote for KQ4 (to complete the AGDI run), The Colonel's Bequest (complete with Jodo Kast Easter egg, of course), and QfG3 (I wonder if Thepal would vote for this now that he's "found" his missing points). If I could go for five, then the QfG5 and MoE de-makes would be my fourth and fifth choices.

El Ravager
Knight Status

#7 Post by El Ravager » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Hmm...tough question. I went with these three, in this order:

1.) King's Quest 4 (Since it's now the only KQ game without a VGA/SVGA version; Huzzah!)
2.) Police Quest 2 (I was once part of team that intended to do such a remake, but that team ended up falling apart and nothing substantial came out of it. Would still love to see this one done, as it's my favorite PQ installment.)
3.) KQ8 as an actual adventure game (I think a lot of the early ideas Roberta & co. had for KQ8 were worthy of a really nicely-designed adventure game. Shame they never got one...)

I wish I could've voted for one more, since I really had a hard time deciding between KQ8 and SQ3. I know the latter is more likely to actually be done since the former would require vast reimagining, a complete redesign, and tons of extra work. But at the end of the day, I find SQ3 in it's present format a lot more enjoyable than than MoE in its present format.

hanakogames
Peasant Status

#8 Post by hanakogames » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:23 pm

I blogged a little about my love for Rosella today. KQ4 is dear to my heart.

Laura Bow never got enough love, and the Colonel's Bequest is a fun little setting, I'd love to be able to show that to more people.

And I, er, never played Mask of Eternity. A 'proper' version would certainly interest me...

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:49 pm

If there's a chance, KQ4 will be a very top priority!

As for the other 2:
Colonel Bequest are the most challenging task in different aspect of difficulty compared with QFG2 remake.
And Manhunter, similar to reason above plus wondering how the remake translates the horror and gory stuff.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#10 Post by Kurdt » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:34 pm

I've wanted a Conquests of Camelot remake since the first Future Remake thread a jillion years ago, and I want one again now first and foremost. That game is a classic and I'm saddened that Christy Marx only did COC and Longbow. I also voted for QFG3 because I think it would be a lot of fun to expand the world of Tarna a bit. I always felt like Lori and Corey weren't able to put half of what they had planned to put into the game, and I'd just like to see more of the city/villages/savannah. Having a decent combat system wouldn't be too bad of an idea, either, and since there's already code for that...

I was tempted to vote for a KQ4 remake, but in all honesty I have what I feel is an awesome idea for a KQ4 remake that (sadly) will probably never see the light of day and playing a KQ4 remake would depress me, :lol . I was also tempted to vote for de-makes, but after all of this time I can honestly say I like QFG5 and MOE as they are. MOE isn't a bad game, it's just not KQ8. MOE is to KQ as Heroes of Might and Magic is to the original Might and Magic. It's a different style of game set in the same world. As for QFG5, it would be cool to have the combat and part of the story's flow cleaned up a bit, but those are the only things I would change. I loved that game. In the end, I voted for Colonel's Bequest as my third, because everyone loves a mystery. :)

I've done extensive script work on a Wizard and the Princess remake that's sitting in half-development simply because I don't have a team that could fit my ambitions for it. Still, though, it would be nice to see the prequel to King's Quest get a serious facelift.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#11 Post by Klytos » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:36 pm

KQ4 - Well, you've made the first three. Enough said.

Camelot - Just a brilliant game and no other reason I chose it other than AGDI would do a kickass version.

Iceman - A great first half and a boring second half. I think AGDI could KQ2+ this one and make an average game into a brilliant game.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#12 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:55 pm

I have to admit, Conquests of Camelot is on my wishlist too! I actually started a remake of it in AGS several years back, but I only scripted the Camelot castle area before I determined my time would be best spend on the projects we already had running. I'm not gonna vote in the poll, as I don't want to influence the results, but my own choices would be:

King's Quest 4
Conquests of Camelot
Larry 3

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#13 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:01 pm

I'd love to do the soundtrack to another KQ remake. KQ4 or a P&C MOE would be fun! I'd love to see what Daniel could do with the story for that. My third option was Camelot. What a truly enchanting game that was. I didn't pick it but having a revamped remake of Iceman would be really interesting. A P&C spy game sounds very appealing.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#14 Post by gamecreator » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:08 pm

I would still encourage you to start remaking games in high resolution (though I know you don't want to). The difference in quality would be worth it.

More on topic, I'm a little burnt out on King's Quest and would love a good Space Quest or Police Quest remake.

ChronoSerge
Peasant Status

Re: Future Remake: Part Deux

#15 Post by ChronoSerge » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:10 pm

I voted for KQ8, although I'd like to see a remake of The Wizard and the Princess.

techie775
Knight Status

#16 Post by techie775 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:12 pm

Well I really don't expect to get another remake, but I can play the hypothetical game...

actually KQ4 SCI never really bothered me so that I never saw a big urgency to redo. I wouldn't bother with QFG3, I remember some bugs but nothing worth redoing the whole game in AGS.

My 3 were SQ3, LSL2 and Colonel's Bequest.

Snake2715
Peasant Status

#17 Post by Snake2715 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:34 am

Colonol's Bequest and Gold Rush.. why... well to be honest I played these as a young one with my Grandmother and to be able to go back to them now with her would be wonderful experience.

Plus I think the settings are fantastic and that there is a lot that could be done with an update or re visualization.

aozgolo
Peasant Status

#18 Post by aozgolo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:45 am

1: King's Quest IV, honestly I've got a phobia it seems of parser interfaces and thus this is the ONLY King's Quest game I have NEVER played! I would love to see a redux version of this one done, especially since it seems to the underdog of the KQ series.

2: Leisure Suit Larry 3, I played a few Leisure Suit Larry games (including the abominable low brow American Pie-esque Magna Cum Laude) and would love to see this one brought to a Point & Click redux (not to mention I'm sure Al Lowe would secretly love you)

3: Leisure Suit Larry 2, I did play a Point-and-click version of this, but it would be awesome to see it done in full VGA Remake!

Unlisted Choice: Leisure Suit Larry 4: The Case of the Missing Floppies.... yeah I went there!

Loney Childress
Peasant Status

#19 Post by Loney Childress » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:53 am

Codename Iceman would definitely be something different. Loved that game. I also voted for KQ4 and SQ3. Alot of good choices to choose from though.

Fender178
Knight Status

#20 Post by Fender178 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:13 am

KQ4 For me because it seems like it to me that the people that are making it already are taking their good sweet time and there havent been any updates since October of 2010.

Then SQ3.

Then a point and click version of MOE.

PLeiaPrinSass
Peasant Status

#21 Post by PLeiaPrinSass » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:08 am

KINGS QUEST IV!!!!! It was my first Kings Quest ever and arguably the best - a female heroine!

I am always saddened when I check the other site that was discussing doing a KQ4 remake and it sits stalled and stalled.

Besides, AVG Interactive has added this extra element of more puzzles and background story so the games are often more enjoyable than the originals! Particularly KQII.

It's also interesting to see the parallels with story lines in KQ9 the Silver Lining:.

KQ4 please!!!!

Then Laura Bow Colonel's Bequest would be amazing or Camelot or Robin Hood. Or how about creating an entirely new game? You all certainly have the creativity for it - looking forward to the Mage one!

edenwaith
Royal Servant Status

Christy Marx

#22 Post by edenwaith » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:18 am

Kurdt wrote:I've wanted a Conquests of Camelot remake since the first Future Remake thread a jillion years ago, and I want one again now first and foremost. That game is a classic and I'm saddened that Christy Marx only did COC and Longbow. I also voted for QFG3 because I think it would be a lot of fun to expand the world of Tarna a bit. I always felt like Lori and Corey weren't able to put half of what they had planned to put into the game, and I'd just like to see more of the city/villages/savannah. Having a decent combat system wouldn't be too bad of an idea, either, and since there's already code for that...
Off on a tangent... A couple of weeks ago, I was watching a YouTube clip which featured a number of different intros to 80s cartoons. One of the many cartoons shown was Jem., which I vaguely recalled, often playing in the afternoon along side other cartoons like Transformers, G.I. Joe and reruns of Scooby Doo. I read up a little further about the show Jem and learned that the creator and writer for the show was Christy Marx, who also was a writer for other cartoons such as G.I. Joe and Captain Planet.

Hmmm...is that the same person who also designed the two Conquest games for Sierra? Indeed it is. What a small world.

------------------

I'd be curious if QFG3 could have developed even further if Sierra didn't spend their time remaking QFG1 and used that extra time and money on QFG3.

I think King's Quest IV had the most "magical" feel to it, from the little chime heard whenever you scored points, to the atmosphere of the game and scenery.

Conquests of Camelot is an excellent, excellent game, but very difficult. A cursor-based game would have helped greatly, especially in trying to discover what to ask people. But it was a very rich game with great detail.

The Black Cauldron is also quite fun and has a number of different endings, depending on what actions Taran takes throughout the game. Plus, it is loosely based upon one of my favorite series of books: The Prydain Chronicles.

rollercoasternd
Peasant Status

#23 Post by rollercoasternd » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:57 am

1: KQ4 just to complete the VGA series
2: MoE, b/c it needs it and b/c I could see it tying in with "The Father"
3: Laura Bow is my favorite heroine!
Last edited by rollercoasternd on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billyhtchcoc
Peasant Status

#24 Post by billyhtchcoc » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:25 am

I'm a total KQ fan, so both of them got my votes, although if I had to pick between the two I'd lean more towards MoE a little bit because I'd love to see what you all could do with it.

I think Laura Bow could be really rockin' too, though.

Enchantermon
Peasant Status

#25 Post by Enchantermon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:27 am

So many choices...
I think I would have to go with KQIV, Camelot, and KQVIII, in that order, and the reasons have pretty much all been stated already. KQIV because you've already done outstanding jobs on the first two (and the third, from what I've seen so far) and that game really deserves it, Camelot because it would look sweet with a facelift, and KQVIII because it would be interesting to see an adventure game based on the original (maybe with QfG-style combat).