Future Remake: Part Deux

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

What are your top 3 Sierra remakes you would like remade?

King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella
27%
Police Quest II: The Vengeance
5%
Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon
10%
Lara Bow: The Colonel's Bequest
8%
The Black Cauldron
3%
Codename: Iceman
1%
Conquests of Camelot: The Search for the Grail
7%
Gold Rush
3%
Manhunter: New York
1%
Manhunter 2: San Francisco
0%
Leisure Suit Larry (II) Goes Looking for Love (in Several Wrong Places)
4%
Leisure Suit Larry III: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals
3%
Quest for Glory 5 VGA de-make
9%
Quest for Glory 3 remake (fixed points system)
8%
Mask of Eternity: Point & Click adventure remake
11%

Total votes: 669

spacecadet
Peasant Status

Re: Future Remake: Part Deux

#101 Post by spacecadet » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:23 am

Diath wrote:Thats about the only negative thing that came out for me when finishing KQ3 Redux, which was the father story not being concluded. I really hope there is a way to continue the games commercially because I want to know how the Father story eventually concludes!!
Yeah, me too! On the slight chance that there's ever a way for the AGDI folks (whether here or under the Himalaya Studios brand) to take on a KQ4 remake, if it were released commercially I would SO pay good money for that game. The Father storyline is well-crafted and intriguing, and deserves a conclusion of some sort.

That being said, the current "Mage's Initiation" project also sounds very promising, something that with the right kind of vision (and a few sequels...) could end up not only reviving the QFG legacy, but outdoing it. So, much to look forward to on that front.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#102 Post by Erpy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:06 pm

A note...when The Father arc was written, Daniel wrote a raw conclusion as well, but that conclusion would take place after the existing KQ games...in other words, it'd be a sequel. As such, the story arc would be unlikely to be concluded in any KQ remakes AGDI would do.

rollercoasternd
Peasant Status

#103 Post by rollercoasternd » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:15 pm

Erpy wrote:A note...when The Father arc was written, Daniel wrote a raw conclusion as well, but that conclusion would take place after the existing KQ games...in other words, it'd be a sequel. As such, the story arc would be unlikely to be concluded in any KQ remakes AGDI would do.
Well, if continuing the story arc in game form is impossible, it would be awesome to see it occur in novel format.

Scully
Peasant Status

#104 Post by Scully » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:19 pm

Sarcastic Sid wrote:Please please please do for QFG3 what you did with KQ2! More Tarna! More class specific tasks! Less annoying music! More character development! A better ending (I mean, give us a ceremony which improves depending on how much you accomplish, then zap us away to Mordavia.) A thieves guild! Access to the Liontaur section of town! More! just, more and better please. if anyone can do it, it's you guys.
For some reason, and I've never been sure why, QFG3 has always been my LEAST favorite game of anything Sierra has done! I found it confusing, difficult to navigate, and difficult to accomplish anything. Maybe a remake would improve it to the high level of the others. QFG1, 2, 4, and 5 were simply awesome, and the QFG2 remake you guys did made the series even better. So yes...if you're at all considering it...please add my vote!

Scully
Peasant Status

#105 Post by Scully » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:21 pm

rollercoasternd wrote:Well, if continuing the story arc in game form is impossible, it would be awesome to see it occur in novel format.

Speaking of...do you accept fan fiction? :-)

Belano
Peasant Status

#106 Post by Belano » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:42 am

I would like you to make remakes of the following games (in order of preference):

1. Quest for Glory 5. This is one of few Sierra games that I don't like. I also think it is the worst entry in the Quest for Glory Series. When I played it, after playing the first four in a row, it didn't feel as good as the previous ones: on one hand, the graphics are really bad (eventhough I don't usually pay much attention to graphics) and there was hardly any descriptions of the surroundings, something I really like it of the other games; on the other hand, I didn't like the gameplay neither, because the combat system was tedious and the puzzles didn't feel as if they hadn't been designed to adapt to the different classes. This is why I would really appreciate a remake of this game similar to what you accomplished with King's Quest 2.

2. King's Quest 4. A remake of this game would not only make all King's Quest games available in VGA, but would allow us to see your approach to this chapter in the series.

3. Police Quest 2. I enjoyed very much the original. A remake of this game with some minor changes in the puzzle and story departments (for example, a more difficult investigation) would be really interesting.

Eventide
Peasant Status

#107 Post by Eventide » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:52 pm

I only voted for KQIV. Probably not as totally helpful. But it's my favorite KQ game and I would love to see it remade with more fleshed out story. What it had was good, but it could be great. And I think AGDI can make it great.

daventry
Knight Status

#108 Post by daventry » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:00 pm

KQ4 Remake
QFG3 Remake
KQ8 Remake

deltamatrix
Knight Status

#109 Post by deltamatrix » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:14 pm

KQ4 is definitely the next priority.

I'm not too fussed about QFG3, more-so a de-make of QFG5.

gamerolled
Peasant Status

#110 Post by gamerolled » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:33 pm

Scully wrote:
Sarcastic Sid wrote:Please please please do for QFG3 what you did with KQ2! More Tarna! More class specific tasks! Less annoying music! More character development! A better ending (I mean, give us a ceremony which improves depending on how much you accomplish, then zap us away to Mordavia.) A thieves guild! Access to the Liontaur section of town! More! just, more and better please. if anyone can do it, it's you guys.
For some reason, and I've never been sure why, QFG3 has always been my LEAST favorite game of anything Sierra has done! I found it confusing, difficult to navigate, and difficult to accomplish anything. Maybe a remake would improve it to the high level of the others. QFG1, 2, 4, and 5 were simply awesome, and the QFG2 remake you guys did made the series even better. So yes...if you're at all considering it...please add my vote!
I agree with these points. I would also like to add that the combat system for Quest for Glory 3 left much to be desired. Point and click controls? Really? That and the fact that the fighting system was way too simple in QFG3 made it really disappointing for me. What made this even weirder was the fact that it felt like they took a giant step backwards from the combat system in Sierra's QFG2. I saw what you did for the fighting interface in the remake. As a fencer and as a gamer who grew up with arcade fighter games, I was thoroughly impressed with the improvements you made to QFG2's fighting system. I'm absolutely certain that you could work wonders for the fighting interface of QFG3 if you remade it. I know you could improve QFG3. If you could improve QFG2, which IMHO already was the best installment of the QFG series, you could improve the worst installment that much more. I say this not only because it left more to be desired than the other QFG games, but also because it had certain characteristics that had tons of potential, like the map system. They could have done a lot with that. Maybe you could add more areas to visit. You know, like sidequest sites. Nothing over-the-top, though. It wouldn't do to have a cluttered map, either.

Black Wolf
Peasant Status

#111 Post by Black Wolf » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:52 am

This list was very hard to choose from...I would like to see more than three off this list 're-made'...no de-makes here. On the topic of de-makes, I think it is a waste of time; unless we are talking about re-making a Sierra VGA re-make then we can jump on the topic of re-doing 'Space Quest 1 VGA' :p

Anyhow, the three classics I chose; of course 'King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella', 'The Colonel's Bequest' and 'Gold Rush' a very very overlooked gem of a classic Sierra adventure. Not sure why not many of you are picking 'Gold Rush', whenever I think of playing that classic it warms my senses. In my opinion one of Sierra's most intriguing adventure titles based on real life events in history. I would absolutely love to see it re-made in VGA goodness...

However, nothing tops the list as much as 'King's Quest IV'; I remember impatiently waiting for KQIV back in the late 80's...only to be sorely disappointed when it was delayed for over a year...as Sierra was developing the AGI & SCI version simultaneously. When it was finally released I still remember how excited I was, and of all the hours that it consumed of my life.

There is something about 'The Colonel's Bequest' that I can't quite put my finger on, which evokes a sense of wonderment within me when I play it. I don't know whether it is the eeriness of the setting/atmosphere, or the time period that it is set in, or maybe its characters...maybe that big spooky house...anyways it is, in my opinion, definitely one of Sierra’s greats that is deserving of a make-over.
One thing I did notice with this list, and it probably would have replaced my ‘Gold Rush’ selection had it been included...no it would have replaced my ‘Gold Rush’ selection for sure, is the absence of ‘Space Quest II: Vohaul’s Revenge’...yes I know that Infamous Adventures is in the process of redoing this classic as I type this...however based on their past re-makes I believe that AGDI would do a much better job at re-making this prestigious adventure classic.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#112 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:31 am

Black Wolf wrote: is the absence of ‘Space Quest II: Vohaul’s Revenge’...yes I know that Infamous Adventures is in the process of redoing this classic as I type this...however based on their past re-makes I believe that AGDI would do a much better job at re-making this prestigious adventure classic.
You're gonna eat those words, friend, when you play it. Trust me. It's awesome. I spent tonight playing our latest build - yeah. Can't wait to get this one out and into the hands of fans.

Bt

Jerminator
Peasant Status

#113 Post by Jerminator » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:55 am

Black Wolf wrote:the absence of ‘Space Quest II: Vohaul’s Revenge’...yes I know that Infamous Adventures is in the process of redoing this classic as I type this...however based on their past re-makes I believe that AGDI would do a much better job at re-making this prestigious adventure classic.
Quite the bonehead thing to say! Made everything stated before this trivial. Yet again another person judging a game before its even released. Nice

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

Q

#114 Post by Klytos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:04 am

AGDI already tried and failed to remake SQ2.

:D

End of trolling.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#115 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:16 am

I'm on both the AGDI and IA teams. SQ2 is every bit as good looking as KQ3Redux is. You're going to love it.

quest
Peasant Status

#116 Post by quest » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:22 am

To be fair, IA's first release looked better than AGDI's as far as background art is concerned. However, AGDI was better in the programming and presentation departments. As for the unsophisticated story, it is not really IA's fault. We'll have to blame Sierra for that. Anyway, I think SQ2 will look great but I still can't help but wish IA would have stuck with making/re-making KQ games like KOS. In fact, I am more excited about their upcoming KQ than I am about SQ2. :D

deltamatrix
Knight Status

#117 Post by deltamatrix » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:38 pm

I thought AGDI's SQ2 remake was cancelled due to another remake already in progress.

The next remake should be KQ4.......but using 720p graphics lol :p

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#118 Post by Klytos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:44 pm

quest wrote:To be fair, IA's first release looked better than AGDI's as far as background art is concerned.
But you also need to remember than AGDI were the first team to get into this remake business. We obviously looked at what they had done and improved if we could. Two points I remember from the time were we didn't like that Graham didn't walk off the screen, he hit the screen edge and it transitioned. And one screen in KQ1 drove me insane, where they collage the healers tree from QFG1. We didn't collage, we drew over the existing backgrounds. It's a learning process. I'm sure Sierra and LucasArts stole ideas from each other too.
quest wrote:However, AGDI was better in the programming and presentation departments.
I'll point out that KQ3 is a lot more complicated, from a programming point of view, than KQ1. KQ3 has layers of timer based code added to the basic KQ1 code of find object / use object. I don't really know what you mean by presentation department.
quest wrote:Anyway, I think SQ2 will look great but I still can't help but wish IA would have stuck with making/re-making KQ games like KOS. In fact, I am more excited about their upcoming KQ than I am about SQ2.
I'm glad you're looking forward to KOS. It's going to absolutely rock. But I must say, I think SQ2 is amazing. Preference between KQ and SQ really comes down to just that, preference. Both games are awesome and they're going to rock.

Broomie
The Enigma

#119 Post by Broomie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:10 pm

I thought AGDI's SQ2 remake was cancelled due to another remake already in progress.
Well, it didn't stop them finishing KQ3! :p

Anywho, both Space Quest II and Kingdom of Sorrow look amazing. If you need evidence of this look no further. Yes, I like to plug that trailer whenever I can.

Black Wolf
Peasant Status

#120 Post by Black Wolf » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:07 am

Blackthorne519 wrote:
Black Wolf wrote: is the absence of ‘Space Quest II: Vohaul’s Revenge’...yes I know that Infamous Adventures is in the process of redoing this classic as I type this...however based on their past re-makes I believe that AGDI would do a much better job at re-making this prestigious adventure classic.
You're gonna eat those words, friend, when you play it. Trust me. It's awesome. I spent tonight playing our latest build - yeah. Can't wait to get this one out and into the hands of fans.

Bt
Hmmm...like another poster said, I made a bonehead comment here...and I am sorry for that. I am truly sorry if I offended anybody on the Infamous Adventure team. I really respect your efforts, I could probably never do what you do...I should not have drawn comparisons between you and AGDI.

As for my 'bonehead' comment making everything else I wrote redundant, I hope that is not the case.... |I I spoke from the heart on everything else I said.

So...because I was a dumb-ass here...I promise to play and judge fairly Infamous Adventures' 'Space Quest II' without bias.

Dan

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#121 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:27 am

Hahah, nah, it's totally your right to have that opinion - but I'm just telling you, I think you're really gonna like our treatment of Space Quest 2!!!

Bt

Black Wolf
Peasant Status

#122 Post by Black Wolf » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:15 am

Blackthorne519 wrote:Hahah, nah, it's totally your right to have that opinion - but I'm just telling you, I think you're really gonna like our treatment of Space Quest 2!!!

Bt
Well, I will definitely give it a shot...I am not going to say no to playing anything Space Quest! I have to admit, from what I have seen so far it looks really professional and that you guys poured your hearts into it. So, does this mean I get an advanced copy of it??? ;)

AGP
Royal Servant Status

#123 Post by AGP » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:07 pm

For me it would be KQIV followed by Mask of Eternity (keep it faithful to the original's story). I have no third choice.

Blake00
Royal Servant Status

#124 Post by Blake00 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:06 am

A little late to the party but I'm here lol..

What a great idea.. I love this thread.. gives me hope for the future as I was worried KQ3 was the last sierra product you’d ever touch again lol (I realise it may still be :( ).

No 1 was an easy choice. Your KQ1, 2 and 3 remakes are state of the art.. just brilliant.. to not do KQ4 is sacrilege :P it’s like having to play QFG2 EGA in-between QFG 1 & 3 VGA all over again (before you guys came along & saved the day).. ghastly lol. KQ5 is perfect as it is so 4 really is the last void, the last big job to be done in the series. Unless people wanted a KQ7 or mask of eternity de-make which would be interesting but nowhere near as important as the potential disaster of not having a VGA version of KQ4 to link up the whole series! :P

No 2 is actually one I hadn’t really considered until I saw it in your poll. A QFG 3 remake would be VERY cool especially if you wanted to do a KQ2 treatment and add new content (locations/quests) and there’s a BIG game world (4 big & rather sparse maps screens of cities and locations) to play with this instalment. And obviously the biggest most talked about hole in QFG is the complete lack of thieves guild and quests! I remember there used to be some fan talk in the forums 10 years ago about a secret/hidden thieves guild in the rocks near the Linotaur capital which was rubbish but you guys could make it reality. You could even add some residential districts to the giant city for thieves to ‘visit’ hehe. I used to look out over the city through the window of the hotel & also the view behind the temple screen wishing I could explore the city. The combat system is also the worst of the entire series so you could totally Erpy the sh*t out of it lol. Oh the fun you could have with this game. I do love QFG3 for what it is but it sooo has the potential to be even better! :)
Oh & you could make that bloody honey bird easier to find.. oh how that quest vexes me lol... stupid randomly appearing bird! :/

No 3 has to be the QFG5 de-make. You’ve probably seen my comments on this topic at IA and now recently in a thread about it here. Once again it’s all about series symmetry lol. To sit down and play the entire QFG series in point & click with beautiful VGA backgrounds would be sooooooo cool. I know it’s a pipe dream.. but what a cool dream for us old QFG fans haha.

If I could have picked a No 4 it would have been a Mask of Eternity de-make or remake if you prefer. That would be very cool but after remaking KQ4 first as that’s much more important for series enjoyment/symmetry IMO lol.

Oz
Peasant Status

#125 Post by Oz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:53 am

It's really sad that 3 of items with 30+ votes all have a VGA, SVGA, or 3D version already, albeit unsatisfactory to some. What about the fact that every single one of the main series is missing a VGA entry. KQ4 is leading by far which is great, it's an awesome game. SQ3 managed to make 3rd barely, what about PQ2? LSL2? LSL3? Hell even CB. It would certainly be nice to go through more than 1 series all the way in VGA or greater, rather than have peppered entries here and there. KQ, SQ, and PQ are all missing just 1.