Future Remake: Part Deux

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

What are your top 3 Sierra remakes you would like remade?

King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella
27%
Police Quest II: The Vengeance
5%
Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon
10%
Lara Bow: The Colonel's Bequest
8%
The Black Cauldron
3%
Codename: Iceman
1%
Conquests of Camelot: The Search for the Grail
7%
Gold Rush
3%
Manhunter: New York
1%
Manhunter 2: San Francisco
0%
Leisure Suit Larry (II) Goes Looking for Love (in Several Wrong Places)
4%
Leisure Suit Larry III: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals
3%
Quest for Glory 5 VGA de-make
9%
Quest for Glory 3 remake (fixed points system)
8%
Mask of Eternity: Point & Click adventure remake
11%

Total votes: 669

The Infamous Mecha Sonic
Knight Status

Re: Future Remake: Part Deux

#26 Post by The Infamous Mecha Sonic » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:29 am

I'm going to go with KQ8, only because I think you would have more fun remaking that game than any other on the list. You would really have to stretch your creative muscles to pull that one off. It would require a dramatically reworked story, all new puzzles... I'd be really interested to see what you'd come up with.

oberonqa
Peasant Status

#27 Post by oberonqa » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:42 am

Oh I hope you all decide to do one last final remake.... and if you do, please let it be KQ4. It would be great to finish off the AGDI storyline... especially considering KQ3Redux ends practically screaming "To Be Continued...."

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#28 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:45 am

We couldn't just tie a pretty bow on everything, could we? What would be the fun in that? :lol

Maxor127
Peasant Status

#29 Post by Maxor127 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:00 am

Camelot, Laura Bow, or Mask of Eternity would be good. I purposely didn't vote for KQ4 even though it's the logical choice. Camelot would be my #1 choice. And Mask of Eternity #2. I vote Laura Bow just because I'd like to see more Sierra mystery games.

quest
Peasant Status

#30 Post by quest » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:53 am

1. King's Quest IV
2. Conquests of Camelot
3. Quest for Glory V

GwydionGR
Peasant Status

#31 Post by GwydionGR » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:06 am

OK, I think I may raise some eyebrows here, but here's my 2 cents.

Whats the point in re-making adventures of the , hmm, "second Sierra on-line Era" ? I'm reffering to the adventures such as Kings Quest 4, Space Quest 3, Police Quest 2, Codename:Iceman, Colonel's Bequest...

I mean, what is the purpose that a remake actually serves? I LOVED the remakes of the first three King's Quest Games which were made with the Adventure Game Interpreter of Sierra On-Line and had this unique 80's style. I used to play adventures like Larry 1, Police Quest 1, Space Quest 1 & 2 at my Amstrad PC 1512 with a CGA 4-color monitor - those were some memories! And now, experiencing a completely retouched version of these OLD games is really amazing.

I somehow feel that the LAST game to bear resemblance to these old games was Gold Rush . The game had graphics and style similar to the first adventures of Sierra On-Line but it was way more mature than the rest and seemed - to me - like the last of its kind. Thats why I voted only for this game. Oh, I also voted for Kings Quest 8, because I feel the series DESERVES to have a point and click remake of it.

Who am I, of course, to judge someone's choices and opinions, especially when it comes to Re-making an old classic and most favourite game (Yes, in case you misunderstood, I LOVE kings quest 4) and giving it out for FREE to the world?!?!? :D If AGDI Ever decides to remake King's Quest 4, I'll be one of the first to download and play the game!

It's just that if I ever was to start a "Let's remake an adventure" project, I'd choose one of the early Sierra Adventures. They give out, more than any other 3D - or pseudo 3D - adventure game this "Old, Retro" Feeling. And if I had this magic Genie who would grand me one wish for the very last remake of AGDI, I would DEFINITELY choose an old Sierra Adventure. It's this feeling I get that games like KQ4,SQ3,PQ2 etc. were already... "retouched", compared to the first Sierra Adventures.

I hope I got my point clear, my english arent as good as they used to be. Sorry for the long post . Now, back to the search for the Mandrake Root Powder... :lol

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#32 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:43 am

wow. so many KQ8 request.

Me, on the other hand, didn't really prefer the remake (or should I say "down-make") of KQ8. Yes, the art quality my be not the best, but I do enjoy it overall.

And remaking QFG5 is just way too ridiculous IMO because I really like the game since it sort-of making my dreams come true. Many friends from previous adventures, all loose-ends are answered, and finally: fighting the giant bad-ass dragon with companions too. It's way too awesome and I haven't see any game that delivers this scenario perfectly like this one. A true masterpiece. I don't see the point of de-making the "already" great and awesome game. What could be the reason, which I couldn't imagine, doing this game?

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

#33 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:01 am

I voted:

1. Police Quest II: The Vengeance
2. Codename: Iceman
3. Laura Bow: The Colonel's Bequest

These three are among my top 10 favorite Sierra adventures for sure.

The Infamous Mecha Sonic
Knight Status

#34 Post by The Infamous Mecha Sonic » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:38 am

Of course, I forgot. Any three games I'd like to see remade. Well, in that case, I'll go with King's Quest 8, King's Quest 4, and The Colonel's Bequest.

Zatos
Peasant Status

#35 Post by Zatos » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:43 am

King's Quest VII

Frances
Peasant Status

#36 Post by Frances » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:02 pm

1 Camelot - first graphics game I played and was blown away. Recently tried to play again and still stuck at the wild boar!
2 KQ4 - but recently replayed and got into type interface surprisingly quickly
3 Hmm - would love Colonel's Bequest and both Manhunters, difficult to choose so lets say MH NY and hope the others would follow.
Frances

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#37 Post by Brainiac » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:35 pm

Bobbin Threadbare wrote:And remaking QFG5 is just way too ridiculous IMO because I really like the game since it sort-of making my dreams come true. Many friends from previous adventures, all loose-ends are answered, and finally: fighting the giant bad-ass dragon with companions too. It's way too awesome and I haven't see any game that delivers this scenario perfectly like this one. A true masterpiece. I don't see the point of de-making the "already" great and awesome game. What could be the reason, which I couldn't imagine, doing this game?
There was a lot removed from QfG5, actually. The multiplayer component, for example, which is where the unused equipment in QfG5 comes from (Magnum Opus uses the Ornate Shield and the Notched Spear while Elsa can use the (Magic) Bow which finally gives a use to all those arrows you get from defeated mercenaries). In addition, Wizard's Whirl was supposed to be in QfG5; you would have to beat Erasmus at the game to get the Whirlwind spell rather than just getting it handed to you. The was also the lack of Punny Bones, but that was supposedly due to negative fan reaction rather than a dropped element. As such, a QfG5 "de-make" might actually wind up adding quite a few enhancements.

cynicalmatt
Peasant Status

#38 Post by cynicalmatt » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:08 pm

My first post. I've been a silent reader of these boards for years, but I finally registered just so I could cast my vote.

I went with:
1. The Colonel's Bequest - I always thought the Laura Bow games were criminally under-appreciated. Sure, Amon Ra has some issues, but the setting was fun, and the artwork was beautiful. I'd love to see what AGDI could do with the bayou.
2. Police Quest 2 - Simply because it's my favorite in the series, and if anyone can do it justice, you guys can.
3. Conquests of Camelot - Again, this is just a game I think got overlooked because it wasn't part of a larger series. I remember finding it in a bargain bin waaaay back in the day and falling in love with it, but I was always partial to fantasy stuff like this.

It was REAL close between Camelot and KQ4. It would be cool to see AGDI polish off the whole KQ series.

That said, I would love to see some new "Sierra" games as well. Meaning, instead of a remake, an entirely new Laura Bow or QFG title. It seems like a good way for AGDI to tell their own, original story, but in an established universe with beloved characters. Not that I'm disappointed with their original IPs - Mage's Initiation sounds great - but I'd still jump for joy over a new entry into an existing series.

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#39 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:29 pm

Brainiac wrote:There was a lot removed from QfG5, actually. The multiplayer component, for example, which is where the unused equipment in QfG5 comes from (Magnum Opus uses the Ornate Shield and the Notched Spear while Elsa can use the (Magic) Bow which finally gives a use to all those arrows you get from defeated mercenaries). In addition, Wizard's Whirl was supposed to be in QfG5; you would have to beat Erasmus at the game to get the Whirlwind spell rather than just getting it handed to you. The was also the lack of Punny Bones, but that was supposedly due to negative fan reaction rather than a dropped element. As such, a QfG5 "de-make" might actually wind up adding quite a few enhancements.
I do kinda heard those. Though this would be actually making the "complete" version, not re/de-making it.

Btw, rather surprised MoE gathers this much. You guys must be really hate the original huh... :lol

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#40 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:52 pm

I don't hate MOE, but I'd really love to see Daniel re-pen the story line as a P&C adventure and embellish the plot and puzzles appropriately.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#41 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:58 pm

I think the concept behind a Quest for Glory V de-make wouldn't be to remove and change things. For example, events like the Hydra and Dragon battles could be kept intact, but the game could be given more of a classic VGA appearance and style, closer to the beautiful artwork of Quest for Glory IV. I took a look at Quest for Glory V again recently, and I was sad to see that the backgrounds are horribly compressed with what looks like some kind of JPG quality. The game was great, but it just didn't have the classic charm that a VGA point & click facelift could lend it. One thing I'd personally change would be those dancing man lock picking puzzles. Didn't like them and thought they took the player out of the mood of a tense moment.

I, too, am surprised to see the high reaction to a Mask of Eternity remake in the classic Point & Click style. It could make for a very interesting KQ game, especially if it maintained some of MOE's RPG elements...

Poor Manhunter 2: San Francisco... nobody loves it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#42 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:10 pm

it's not love, it's gory. That's what Manhunter is all about. Unless MH1 has been remaked, there's no point doing the sequel. Actually, I'm more concerned about completing the trilogy, which is supposedly ManHunter: London.

Anyway, I didn't know you really care about the artwork quality that much for I'm really at awe for the whole presentation. QFG5 still one of the best games aside QFG2 for me. :D

Lambonius
Knight Status

#43 Post by Lambonius » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:12 pm

Why isn't TSL on that list?

:evil

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#44 Post by Lady Pyro » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:34 pm

As much as a De-Make of 5 would be awesome, my love for the LL series lives on.
That perverted so-and-so haha.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#45 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Lambonius wrote:Why isn't TSL on that list?

:evil
Because Lucasfan already did it:

http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=41402.0

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#46 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:39 pm

That was LUCASFAN! That just made it all the more epic! lol

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#47 Post by Erpy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:43 pm

It's kinda difficult to know for sure...but this kind of thing was his schtick years ago.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#48 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:43 pm

That was LUCASFAN! That just made it all the more epic! lol
Heh, I know, I know.

Bubble
Peasant Status

#49 Post by Bubble » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:19 pm

What should happen is that Activision should commission AGDI/Himalaya studios to remake KQ4 and Wizard and the Princess and then sell a King's Quest 30th Anniversary edition that works on modern computers using AGDI's remakes for like $30. I'd pay $30 for 8 great adventure games! (Well 7 great games and then a bonus remake of a game that is only questionably in the King's Quest cannon)

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#50 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:17 pm

Remaking Wizard & the Princess would be like the making of the Hobbit for the LotR franchise. :)