Quest for Glory 4 Remake?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Tesla1972
Peasant Status

Quest for Glory 4 Remake?

#1 Post by Tesla1972 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:26 am

I have downloaded and played the King's Quest remakes and I really enjoyed them. I originally bought the Quest for Glory Collector's Series when Sierra released it back in the 90's and QFG4 was really one of my favorites. Even though the graphics weren't bad for the time, I would like to see AGDI remake this game and update the graphics on it. As an old adventure game player, I salute AGDI for the fantastic work they have done recreating some classics. Keep up the great work! :)

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Quest for Glory 4 Remake?

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:20 pm

Hey, thanks. Always good to hear from someone who enjoyed our efforts. :) However, our license with Activision/Vivendi only covered the first 3 King's Quest games and Quest for Glory 2.

Without a new license, we can't remake any more old Sierra games, but we couldn't afford to do it for free anymore either.

So now we're focusing on our new game, Mage's Initiation. It is a RPG/Adventure game hybrid -- very similar to Quest for Glory and in high-res. We'll be launching a Kickstarter campaign for the game in February, so be sure to check it out of you enjoyed our Sierra remakes. You can read more information about the game here:

http://www.himalayastudios.com/games/mages/

Tesla1972
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Tesla1972 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:11 am

Very nice! If I may ask...How long did it take the team to revamp the old Sierra games? I still have my original copies of the Quest for Glory games and the King's Quest games...guess I just never wanted to give them up...lol. I've had some ideas for remakes of some of these games, but I find that actually remaking the games and then actually playing them are two different things. I leave such things up to your team because it's always more enjoyable to play someone else's remake then to do it yourself. The graphics and new character animations that you guys created were so much clearer than the originals...I can imagine that it took quite awhile to update those. I look forward to playing your original games....it's nice to see a group of talented individuals keeping this genre alive. I know that I spent many hours absorbed into those worlds and they were some of the greatest moments alive...again, I thank you for a job well done.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:10 pm

Well, I can tell you - It took us about 2 1/2 years to finish our version of KQIII over at IA, and about 5 to do Space Quest 2. SQ2 had a lot of delays and downtime, though. It takes some time.

Bt

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Very nice! If I may ask...How long did it take the team to revamp the old Sierra games?
King's Quest 1 took about 9 months.
King's Quest 2 took about 1 year
King's Quest 3 and Quest for Glory 2 took about 8 years, but mostly because we were spread out across multiple projects during that time, in addition to our first commercial game.
I still have my original copies of the Quest for Glory games and the King's Quest games...guess I just never wanted to give them up...lol. I've had some ideas for remakes of some of these games, but I find that actually remaking the games and then actually playing them are two different things. I leave such things up to your team because it's always more enjoyable to play someone else's remake then to do it yourself.
One of the criteria for creating free remakes of existing games that span multiple years of development is probably that you need to be a little crazy in the head. Blackthorne probably knows what I'm talking about. Either way, I assure you that you've kept the bulk of your sanity intact by sticking to merely playing the Sierra games. ;)
The graphics and new character animations that you guys created were so much clearer than the originals...I can imagine that it took quite awhile to update those. I look forward to playing your original games....it's nice to see a group of talented individuals keeping this genre alive. I know that I spent many hours absorbed into those worlds and they were some of the greatest moments alive...again, I thank you for a job well done.
Thanks again! 2013 looks to be a pretty good year for adventure fans as a whole, with many of the Kickstarted adventure game projects likely coming to fruition this year. Here's hoping we can make our dent in that collection with Mage's Initiation!

Linda S. Reynolds
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Linda S. Reynolds » Sat May 09, 2020 8:57 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:20 pm Hey, thanks. Always good to hear from someone who enjoyed our efforts. :) However, our license with Activision/Vivendi only covered the first 3 King's Quest games and Quest for Glory 2.

Without a new license, we can't remake any more old Sierra games, but we couldn't afford to do it for free anymore either.

So now we're focusing on our new game, Mage's Initiation. It is a RPG/Adventure game hybrid -- very similar to Quest for Glory and in high-res. We'll be launching a Kickstarter campaign for the game in February, so be sure to check it out of you enjoyed our Sierra remakes. You can read more information about the game here:

http://www.himalayastudios.com/games/mages/
Can you redo the license again for the rest of the KQ and QFG series also maybe Leisure Suit Larry?

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#7 Post by navynuke04 » Sun May 10, 2020 1:15 am

It's highly doubtful. The Sierra IP has changed owners since we did the remakes, and we've lost our contacts that had the ability to help us with the licensing.

Besides that, the last reboot of King's Quest didn't go as well as they had hoped. This means that it would be very difficult to get them to talk about licensing the software again.

We've moved our operation over to Himalaya Studios and are making original games that have the same look and feel as the Sierra classics. If you haven't checked them out, you should!