QFG3: No one seems to know exactly how paladin thing works

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

PRE66 6TART
Peasant Status

QFG3: No one seems to know exactly how paladin thing works

#1 Post by PRE66 6TART » Sun May 01, 2011 5:07 am

I have searched all over the net for an answer to this question. I've combed through this and other forums, FAQs, ect. Why is it that everyone knows the exact process for becoming a paladin in QFG2, but all I can find about QFG3 is general stuff like "do good things, don't do bad things." I've found a couple useful suggestions but nothing comprehensive. So far all I know is:
1-You need at least 100 points of honor
2-You need to swear the oath to bring peace
3-Flirting with the welcome woman does NOT disqualify you, despite some info out there to the contrary

Does anyone have anything to add to this list?

The reason I want to know is I'd like to find other ways to avoid becoming a paladin besides refusing to swear the oath(kinda breaks character) or doing some repetative action to lose honor points.

DaemonDarqueGS
Peasant Status

Re: QFG3: No one seems to know exactly how paladin thing wor

#2 Post by DaemonDarqueGS » Tue May 03, 2011 2:04 am

http://www.the-spoiler.com/RPG/Sierra/g ... t.3.4.html

If you want specific examples of what to do/not to do, check out this walkthrough. Skim down to the fighter/paladin walkthrough and take a look. Anything that has a (P#) next to is a paladin point so all you have to do is avoid getting those.

PRE66 6TART
Peasant Status

#3 Post by PRE66 6TART » Wed May 04, 2011 12:48 am

I know that walkthrough pretty well. CyricZ has the best QFG faq/walkthroughs around. But he's only refering to puzzle points. Most puzzle points are the same for paladins and fighters except for a few marked (P#) or (F#) if it only applies to one or the other. The only paladin-specific points are for defending rakeesh's honor, swearing the oath, and gaining new paladin ablilities. The only fighter-specific points are for killing monsters. They are supposed to equal each other so each adds up to 500 but thats a whole other conversation.
I assume not defending rakeesh's honor would help. I've also considered not helping yesufu during the race, not helping the thief when he asks, not helping catch the thief, not telling salim about julanar, not getting the honey feather...; there's all kinds of little stuff I could do. But I'd rather not play all the way through and then have it not work and have to start over, so I was hoping someone reading this might have tried some of those things already, and could tell me what happened.

DaemonDarqueGS
Peasant Status

#4 Post by DaemonDarqueGS » Wed May 04, 2011 1:06 am

Hmmm, well there's apparently an area in Day 3 where you get a choice to swear an oath to be a paladin and can choose not to (supposing you're not already), but you already said you were trying to avoid doing that.

Well, don't be really polite, that's one thing. For example, if you want to be a paladin, you should always (without question) say 'welcome' and 'thank you'.

Here's something that may help you:

In QFG3, the rules for becoming a Paladin appear to be much less strict than in QFG2: once the fighter manages to arrange the peace conference between the Simbani and the Leopardmen, he automatically becomes a Paladin, even if he made any dishonorable deeds which do not result in death, like flirting with Jana or not helping Yesufu during the competition (in the latter case, the fighter must win the competition in order to continue the game). On the other hand, committing dishonorable deeds for any type of character may result in instant death, for instance: killing Manu, not helping Yesufu plus losing the competition, attempting to kill the Laibon or the chief of the Leopardmen while breaking into their huts.

It looks like some of the above might be your only options. QFG3 seems to force you to be a paladin or a complete and utter murdering psychopath. There doesn't seem to be much in between. The least offensive thing you can do is to not help Yesufu and lose the competition. According to this, it's just not enough to only refuse to help Yesufu.

PRE66 6TART
Peasant Status

#5 Post by PRE66 6TART » Wed May 04, 2011 5:43 am

Interesting...
Seems not swearing the oath or trying to lose a bunch of honor may be my only options. oh well. I can live with that. Where did you get that quote from? It's one of the few helpful things I've read about this.

DaemonDarqueGS
Peasant Status

#6 Post by DaemonDarqueGS » Wed May 04, 2011 11:29 am

It's from the quest for glory omnipedia:

http://questforglory.wikia.com/wiki/Que ... _Omnipedia

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Thu May 05, 2011 10:24 am

Nevertheless, if your honor stat is too low, you still won't become one despite swearing the oath and arranging the peace negotiations, so the Harami trick is generally still a good way to prevent the paladin class change without having to break character.