Another King's Quest 4 post.....

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

LaughingMan008
Peasant Status

Another King's Quest 4 post.....

#1 Post by LaughingMan008 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:57 am

I read the other threads, and I appreciate the position you're in. I really do. You guys have done so much already. I love all your remakes and I love your original games...
I understand you cant afford to make free games anymore. But then again, I think you said that when Quest for Glory 2 came out, and you were deving KQ3 in secret. The Infamous Adventures version is good, but its nowhere near your level, and Im so happy you made it. And I for one like all the story changes, tie ins, and I even really like the father. Ide LOVE IT if there was some way you could get a remake of 4 going. Its the ONLY one left that needs a remake....
Theres a part of me thats suspicious that you're already working on 4, I must admit, seeing as how adament you were about Quest for Glory 2 being your last free game, and then bam, King's Quest 3. XD

I gotta ask, what was this license you got? Was it only for 1 2 and 3?
Because even as anal as Activision is, I doubt they would even sneeze in your direction after the whole Silver Lining debacle. I mean, I could be wrong, but I dont think youde have much trouble making KQ4 from a legal perspective, especially if you kept development a secret like you did with 3.
The money matters, of course, are different. I for one would be happy to donate whatever I could to get a KQ4 remake done. And Im sure others could be rounded up who feel the same way. With enough fans by your side, donating cash, I bet you could pull it off. If you got in touch with some of the people who tried failed remakes of the game, you might have an easier time too.

But what do I know? Maybe nothing. Im just a rabid fan and eagerly awaiting your next commercial game.....
But give this some thought. Ide be happy to do fund raising for you guys. I dont suppose you could ballpark a figure for how much you think you would need to get a KQ4 remake finished.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Another King's Quest 4 post.....

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:07 am

As much as I like the thought of a KQ4, we're not doing it in secret. It was a clever play on words with the whole KQ3 thing. We had said that we wouldn't be STARTING anymore remakes. KQ3 was already started when that statement was made.

And yes, our licensing agreement with ActiVision included only KQ1, 2, 3, and QFG2 specifically and we weren't allowed (still aren't) to do anymore without permission. We didn't keep KQ3 a secret from ActiVision. They knew full well we were working on it. If we were to start another project in secret from ActiVision and they found out it would be seriously bad news for us, not to mention bad form on our part after honouring the agreements made all this time! We'd never have a chance to work with the Sierra IPs ever again. I'm not saying we will now either, but we'd rather have the possibility open to us.

And it's also illegal for us to even accept donations toward this group for making remakes based on others' copyrighted IPs. What you CAN do is support us by buying our games at Himalaya Studios, though!

kijikun
Peasant Status

#3 Post by kijikun » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:04 pm

If you can't make a remake of KQ4 could we at least know what the story for it would have been? My biggest disappointment if feeling like I don't know how you guys would have tied it into the Father storyline.

MusicallyInspired

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:11 pm

Your guess is as good as ours. Daniel never did write a screenplay for KQ4, to the best of my knowledge. We'd probably have done minimal additions and changes much like KQ3Redux and just kept with the original story mostly. We'd add little Father storyline elements and eggs but nothing beyond that I'd think. KQ3 never really needed much fleshing out because it already had a great story. KQ4 was even more fleshed out than KQ3 so there'd be even less to do.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:42 am

Without revealing too much, we've been in discussions with Activision since the beginning of the year. AGDI has been made an offer which we're currently trying to meet. We can't talk about any specifics, suffice to say that this is going to require us to completely restructure our company, which will be very costly on our part. If any deal is made, though, I think what we've been offered will make classic Sierra fans very pleased.

It's true that we can't accept payment in exchange for the Sierra remakes on our website (which is why they are offered as free downloads with no strings attached). However, it's completely legal for fans to make a non-tax-deductible donation to Himalaya Studios to assist in covering any incorporating or licensing costs that might come our way.

Donations can be made here.

I can guarantee that any money donated at this point will most certainly go 100% towards furthering a deal with Activision.

Can't mention a ballpark figure unfortunately, but this is a gaming giant, so it's obviously not going to be pocket change. ;)

LaughingMan008
Peasant Status

#6 Post by LaughingMan008 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:09 pm

Awesome. I do hope you manage to close this deal.
The fact that you got Activision to the bargaining table at all says a lot about you guys, and I'm cautiously optimistic.
And you can bet, as soon as I pull myself out of the financial hole I'm in, you'll be getting donations. Ill be shilling for you as much as possible too. Ill make Sierra's old in game advertisements look positively subtle.

I totally didn't notice your play on words with KQ3. I usually pick up on that kinda thing. But with you releasing a commercial game, and then Infamous Adventures popping in to do their own KQ3, I totally didn't suspect a thing. Anyway's, polished or not in its current for, KQ4 deserves a point and clicky remake, and I hope you can do one someday. I also cant wait to see what other commercial games are in your future. I'm keeping a close eye on you guys now. Keep up the great work! :)

rugged
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by rugged » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:40 pm

Can you give any on idea on how likely a deal is? I mean do you think you are likely to come up with the funds?

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#8 Post by DrJones » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:44 pm

As long as there's a chance, there's hope. But I think it's wise not to give false hope, so better stay quiet and let time tell. :eek

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#9 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:26 am

I couldn't speculate at this stage how likely a deal is because the success or failure of that is always determined through negotiation. The first step is having the financial wherewithal to pay licensing and development costs. The second is having the talent and skill to do the IP justice.

In other words, getting the funding and closing a deal are two separate things. Being able to cover the licensing costs doesn't guarantee a deal, but having that funding in place is the crucial first step towards initiating serious negotiations.

That said, the fact that an offer has been made is very promising and I'm optimistic that we have above-average chances. We're currently working toward meeting this goal by restructuring in Corporate form to attract investors and offer them company shares. But as I mentioned, this is an expensive exercise, and we can use any help we can get.

LaughingMan008
Peasant Status

#10 Post by LaughingMan008 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:06 pm

Having now played and beat your Redux of KQ3, Im even more excited for a AGDI remake of 4.....
All because of that ending. I REALLY wanna see The Father storyline closed and wrapped up. His absence from the later games in the series needs to be addressed, and KQ4 would be a perfect place for doing him in once and for all. What with Alexander's contribution to his plot in 3, it would be more than fitting if Rosella did something that finished him off for good. The Father, defeated more or less by the son and the daughter. XD

rogerxy
Peasant Status

#11 Post by rogerxy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:53 pm

Sounds promising! I will donate what I can

djarum
Peasant Status

#12 Post by djarum » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:34 am

I wish Activision would of let you sell the remakes even if they said 100% of profit goes to them because at least after the first 2 king's quest games and them make the profit AGDI would of had some leverage, you can point to the downloads but that date does not show them how many would of sold and at what price point. :(

If you are able to negotiate and get the rights to king's quest 4 please try to negotiate selling a package with all 4 king's quest remakes in a collection all 4 of them on dvd with some nice box art would be epic.

Marylou
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Marylou » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:19 pm

I just today found out that remakes of my favorite old school games exists. I was so amazed, and very very glad to be able to once again play these games on my computer, and to be lucky enough to do it with so fantastic remakes of the games.

I finished Kings Quest 1 today, and without hesitating I wanted to download Kings Quest 4 immidiately, that was my favorite of them all. However, imagine the tears, when I came to this page, realising, that no such thing exists.

Imagine to my suprise to find such a thread on the subject, realising I am not alone in my desperate need!

This post is to wish you the very best of luck in managing to get the deals you need in order to begin a remake. And any future remake.

I can fully understand, how hard it must be to make games for no costs at all.

I guess having the download costs something would be out of the question for legal rights rules, or? I would gladly pay for them. Or even more so, I would gladly buy a real CD-rom with the whole collection of remakes on.

No matter what, thank you- Thank you for all the work you have put into the great remakes so far, and for making it possible for me to experience those games once again.

LaughingMan008
Peasant Status

#14 Post by LaughingMan008 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:43 pm

Marylou wrote:I finished Kings Quest 1 today, and without hesitating I wanted to download Kings Quest 4 immidiately, that was my favorite of them all. However, imagine the tears, when I came to this page, realising, that no such thing exists.
You need to play KQ2 my dear. Best one of the bunch. In no small part due to "The Father" I think. Some people have knocked his addition to the story. I think they're nuts. Its that voice. I love it. Somebody needs to start a fan page for the actor.....
And he needs to have a nice big main villain role in a future game. And be dispatched in a manner fitting to his coolness. Im still crossing my fingers for KQ4. I just bought Al Emmo, and am encouraging everybody I know to do the same. You can bet Ill be buying your Mage game when it comes out, and donating whenever I can. The best of luck to you guys! :)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#15 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:55 pm

You know, I think you'd REALLY have to shoehorn the father in KQ4... changing much of the game, or adding unecessary stuff. KQ4 is a solid game on it's own.

If you wanted to wrap up the Father story, it'd need it's own game.

Bt

DarkMistress89
Peasant Status

#16 Post by DarkMistress89 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:34 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:Your guess is as good as ours. Daniel never did write a screenplay for KQ4, to the best of my knowledge. We'd probably have done minimal additions and changes much like KQ3Redux and just kept with the original story mostly. We'd add little Father storyline elements and eggs but nothing beyond that I'd think. KQ3 never really needed much fleshing out because it already had a great story. KQ4 was even more fleshed out than KQ3 so there'd be even less to do.
I completed KQ3 in March so my memories could be somewhat nebulous but are you telling me there was more allusions of The Father than his brief cameo near the end?

MusicallyInspired

#17 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:41 am

Yes. A couple out of the way things.

Marylou
Peasant Status

#18 Post by Marylou » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:42 am

LaughingMan008 wrote: You need to play KQ2 my dear. Best one of the bunch. In no small part due to "The Father" I think. Some people have knocked his addition to the story. I think they're nuts. Its that voice. I love it. Somebody needs to start a fan page for the actor.....
And he needs to have a nice big main villain role in a future game. And be dispatched in a manner fitting to his coolness. Im still crossing my fingers for KQ4. I just bought Al Emmo, and am encouraging everybody I know to do the same. You can bet Ill be buying your Mage game when it comes out, and donating whenever I can. The best of luck to you guys! :)
Thank you for the tip, Im on it! :D

DarkMistress89
Peasant Status

#19 Post by DarkMistress89 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:18 pm

I just noticed that on The Father's page on the King's Quest Omnipedia someone has tied him in with the later games.
http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/The_Fa ... fficial%29

gamerk2
Peasant Status

#20 Post by gamerk2 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:10 am

First and formost, thanks for all the great remakes. Keep up the good work.

As for as a deal with Activision goes, assuming one comes to pass, I hope it works out for all parties involved.

HappehLemons
Peasant Status

#21 Post by HappehLemons » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:46 am

Any updates on this deal? I'm very curious.

Sslaxx
Peasant Status

#22 Post by Sslaxx » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:10 am

The "negotiations" went nowhere, from what I understand primarily due to Telltale getting the license.